This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-29-2008 07:25:38 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

IRG Sings!

With the Radio play thread going on, I figured it would be nice if we described our voices. Mine is a Lyric Mezzo-Soprano, which is usually used in Trouser roles or minor roles with a few notable exceptions, like for Carmen. I have a weaker high register than some, but with training, I could do this scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeqRMk6fZ8

(Scroll down for Lyric Mezzo-Soprano)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezzo-Soprano

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#2 | Back to Top02-29-2008 12:46:42 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: IRG Sings!

If I were to be cast in Into the Woods I can garuntee the director would place me as Red Riding Hood even though I can, without any trouble, play the Baker's Wife.

Although... I was cast as Pilate in a production of Jesus Christ Super Star that never quite got off the ground.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#3 | Back to Top02-29-2008 01:57:51 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

My voice is a lovely atonal monstrosity that is connected with a poor musical ear and thus should not be allowed to sing.

#4 | Back to Top02-29-2008 02:56:20 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Silence is my native tongue.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#5 | Back to Top02-29-2008 03:01:51 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I'm generally a mezzo soprano. My range is pretty wide but I've had vocal training so ... that's sort of an unfair advantage. Did a lot of choir/ensemble/solo stuff too in high school. I used to be a first soprano when I was in middle school but my choir director permanently changed me to second soprano once I hit high school. I'm way out of practice in the  upper higher ranges. emot-gonk

Last edited by Rae (02-29-2008 03:03:53 PM)

#6 | Back to Top02-29-2008 03:15:58 PM

Teapot
Sensei of Sense
Website

I have a pretty high singing voice but I haven't trained it in a long time emot-frown I think I'm something like a lyric soprano, perhaps (only judging from the tone of my voice, though)... I know the basics of singing but I haven't been trained specifically in opera so I dunno. Back when I was part of a chorus I was a first soprano.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/rinfin/982.png

#7 | Back to Top02-29-2008 03:17:58 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

From what my theatre teacher said, I'm a 2nd Alto. I can go to really low registers and kinda high registers, but my high register voice is weak and shriek-y. That's why I'm doing this self-teaching program with vocal exercises so I can reach a high C without straining. Which is what the program is called -- Can You Reach A High C Without Straining?

#8 | Back to Top02-29-2008 03:20:13 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Contralto now, though I used to be able to sing Mezzo-Soprano parts. I lack training, now, and my musical ear is worse than it used to be. emot-frown

But I still love singing. emot-redface

#9 | Back to Top02-29-2008 04:47:23 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Once a voice teacher told me that I was a coloratura soprano, but that was quite some time ago.  I think my voice has changed and isn't suited to that style anymore.  My most recent teacher and I were still getting a feel for it when my new job precluded me continuing lessons.  So now I dunno, ostensibly I still have soprano range, but I'm not very comfortable with it.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (02-29-2008 04:47:48 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#10 | Back to Top02-29-2008 05:30:41 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I can't sing. I always thought I was tone deaf, but given I can't stand the sound of my own voice and I can tune a violin by ear, apparently I could if I tried and had proper training. emot-tongue I have noticed I can sing a lot closer to in-tune in languages not English, although if I make a concentrated effort to mimic the singer's own voice I can actually hit a lot of notes close to what they should be. Basically, I'm lazy and so generally speaking I suck. I'm not sure what my voice is, but given I can't hit high notes at all I would assume I'm at the lower end of the scale for a woman. I do know that when I act or give speeches, I purposely pitch my voice quite low to have it carry further, so I suspect I find doing that quite natural. school-devil

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#11 | Back to Top02-29-2008 07:19:19 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Asfalolh wrote:

Contralto now, though I used to be able to sing Mezzo-Soprano parts. I lack training, now, and my musical ear is worse than it used to be. emot-frown

I ... I think I'm jealous. Contraltos are rare. GO YOU!

#12 | Back to Top02-29-2008 07:37:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I used a piano to find the lowest and highest notes I can sing.  They correspond exactly with the bass range as defined by Wikipedia, so I guess that makes me a bass!  emot-keke  And hence consigned never to sing the melody.  emot-mad  I guess if I had to subcategorize myself I'd be a basso cantante -- or, more appropriately given my unreliable voice, a basso noncantante.

#13 | Back to Top02-29-2008 08:15:03 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

My range is zero.  In high school (we had a small choir--soprano, alto, bass, and tenor with no further designations) I was too 'low' to be selected for soprano, but when I tried to sing alto parts, I couldn't hit any of the notes.  I love singing, but I'm awful.  It's kind of sad, I want to sing prettily.  Even when I manage carry a tune for a moment, I can't hit most of the notes.

And when I saw this thread, I assumed that the goal was to have people record themselves singing.  That would have been neat.

#14 | Back to Top02-29-2008 08:30:26 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Cerise wrote:

And when I saw this thread, I assumed that the goal was to have people record themselves singing.  That would have been neat.

That's what I thought, too! (Although it would be terrifying for me -- and anyone listening to me. About the only songs I sing reliably on-key tend to be horrors like one of Chiriko from Fushigi Yuugi's image songs, or the terrible English dub of the theme song to Rurouni Kenshin. I can do a fair impersonation of Ariel from The Little Mermaid, actually...but only when no one is listening. As was proved by my one attempt at using a karaoke bar in Japan. poptart)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#15 | Back to Top02-29-2008 08:48:18 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I can do one hell of a monotone! school-sherlock

#16 | Back to Top02-29-2008 10:02:03 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Cerise wrote:

I think I like my voice too much because I do that all the time. I'll post when I get home tomorrow. emot-biggrin

#17 | Back to Top02-29-2008 10:43:32 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Once upon a time, I could actually sing really well. Then my voice changed when I was 17, and my range dropped. I went from a 1st Soprano to a 1st Alto in about a year.

I've gone a bit tone deaf in the 10 years since then, but I can occasionally keep up with some of Tori Amos' and Amy Lee's higher notes. If I don't focus, or if I focus too hard, I end up flat and off-key. (If you want to practice note control, sing an Evanescence song, for realsies.)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#18 | Back to Top03-01-2008 12:16:51 AM

Rae
Black Rosarian

I got to record them earlier than I expected! emot-dance Still wish I was home though ...

Something "classical" (meaning classical sounding):
"Think of Me" - Andrew Lloyd Webber.
And something contemporary:
"Love Affair" (Regina Spektor)

No accompaniment though. This was fun! Recordings suck because it's my stupid built-in laptop mic. I prefer those detachable ones.

EDIT: Fixed links. They work.

Last edited by Rae (03-01-2008 12:17:47 AM)

#19 | Back to Top03-01-2008 03:10:42 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I started off with a pretty low voice but then it didn't drop much when it changed, so I went from first tenor to second tenor. I can sing classically but I'm more into musical theater and jazz. I do a mean King Herod (Jesus Christ Superstar, not Godspell thankyouverymuch). If I get a chance to record myself singing I will upload it here, so you can all hear the suck that is my singing. I'm a fairly good musician with a solid sense of pitch but my vocal technique is mediocre. This is after several years of training, when I started out I was completely awful. So progress has been made.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#20 | Back to Top03-01-2008 09:24:08 AM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

As far as singing goes? I'm an alto, but I can fairly easily sing most soprano parts too. Back in the day when I sang regularly my voice went well into the tenor range as well. XD But I only joined choir because you had to if you wanted to be in show choir, and I was in the backup band.

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#21 | Back to Top03-01-2008 11:09:51 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Rae wrote:

Asfalolh wrote:

I ... I think I'm jealous. Contraltos are rare. GO YOU!

Contraltos shall always be jealous of Sopranos... emot-wink
By the way, you sing beautifully emot-keke

#22 | Back to Top03-01-2008 01:11:23 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Why thank you! I just love singing. It's a passion.

Still, contraltos are so rare, that there are not a lot of parts made for them in operas and musicals. Which is a shame. I think others should post their samples too. I wanna hear! emot-smile

#23 | Back to Top03-01-2008 01:27:27 PM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

I have a sample of myself singing a lullaby and killing people's tonal ear by the end... I think I will try to record something else emot-redface
My vocal technique is unexistent emot-tongue

And yes, the lack of parts is the main reasons contraltos envy sopranos emot-frown

#24 | Back to Top03-02-2008 09:14:02 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Asfalolh wrote:

I have a sample of myself singing a lullaby and killing people's tonal ear by the end...

If that's the one you sent me, I must inform everyone that she's lying. Nobody died. cool

As for me, I was never diagnosed with a singing voice type. My music teacher put me in the 'alto section', but that was only because I couldn't hit those highest tones (though my voice isn't even close to deep). My brother would categorize my voice as noise, evil bugger. school-chef And myself... I just call it 'unused potential' and no one complains. ;)

#25 | Back to Top03-03-2008 10:15:17 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

I sing alto part in church choir, but then the songs we sing doesn't have that big a range and most of the time I can do the soprano part too.  All of us in alto has some sort of music background so it make things easier that way.  I looked up in Wikipedia and it said I'm a contralto, well sorta....  If I follow that range, I should be countertenor, but I'm a female emot-gonk

Last edited by Rushita (03-03-2008 10:38:31 PM)

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

Board footer