This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-26-2012 11:39:40 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I don't get the morality behind the Fruit of Knowledge from the Bible

The whole problem behind it is that it teaches Adam and Eve the difference between good and evil. Why would it be sinful to know about the difference between good and evil? Religion's all about obedience, isn't instilling within the people a sense of right and wrong integral? And besides, good and evil don't really exist except as values that people have, "knowing" about the difference between good and evil doesn't count as knowledge, it counts as doctrine or belief.

I just posted this here because it seems like there are people here who are versed in comparative mythology.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (07-26-2012 11:43:00 PM)

#2 | Back to Top07-27-2012 12:47:51 AM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Re: I don't get the morality behind the Fruit of Knowledge from the Bible

More to the point, if they don't know the difference between good and evil, then how can they be held responsible for their actions?

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#3 | Back to Top07-27-2012 12:55:07 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Here's the thing. God says that every tree's good to eat but this one, because hey, it's poison. Literally. That is what the scripture says.

Genesis 2:15-16 : 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

And Adam and Eve were pretty cool with that until the serpent explained it a bit better, saying what the tree would actually do. Plus the flattery of being like gods and all. But God was right. Somewhat. He exaggerated a bit, because they wouldn't die THAT DAY, but they would certainly die. And have a pretty hard life up until they did so.

The fruit was a catalyst for change. They were like children. Kids don't know anything about living or raising other kids (at least under usual circumstances), and they certainly usually don't know how to make kids. They don't know much besides frolicking naked. For a while anyway.

I see it more as being allegorical about puberty and growing up at this point than actually strictly literal, so do take what I say with a handful of salt. Also, I am highly influenced by LDS religious theorems when it comes to Christian ideas, and they have some pretty odd thoughts on some things. Case in point, they believe the Fall was a necessary act, and that no one else would have existed it they hadn't eaten the fruit, because only after that could they even bear children. They also don't believe it's a sin passed down to everyone, merely that we all suffer from the effect of it.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#4 | Back to Top07-27-2012 08:12:03 AM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

So it's not the fruit of knowledge so much as the fruit of morality, specifically. I wonder what would happen to the faith if it were framed in such terms.

Case in point, they believe the Fall was a necessary act, and that no one else would have existed it they hadn't eaten the fruit, because only after that could they even bear children.

The entire first chapter of the Bible talks about God making a whole race of people before making the Garden, I don't know where this meme of Adam and Eve being the first people comes from.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (07-27-2012 08:14:02 AM)

#5 | Back to Top07-27-2012 09:03:47 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

I forget which version it is, but there's at least one translation where Adam and Eve were told to have children before the tree incident.  I hear the interpretation that the tree of knowledge contained knowledge of sex, but that doesn't quite fit.  Since Eve also gains the pain of childbirth, which seemed to indicate that childbirth could occur before, but would have been painless. 

My interpretation is that the tree of knowledge imparts shame and a deeper understanding, which is why sin becomes possible at all.  If you commit a sin, but don't know it's a sin, you can't be held accountable, and God, in sense, was sparing them from that accountability.  They ruined it.  He didn't make their lives harder; they did.  He didn't cast them from the Garden of Eden; they became aware that they weren't in Paradise in the first place.

Last edited by KaleMarsh (07-27-2012 09:09:08 AM)

#6 | Back to Top07-27-2012 09:24:20 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Calling people's religious beliefs memes is actually kinda offensive, at least by my definition of what a meme is (which is a silly senseless thing passed about the internet).

I use the KJV of the Bible. Last I knew it's the most widely recognized and accepted version. Though in cases like this, I wish I knew the original languages of it and could translate it myself. Old Testament is my weakest part of the scriptures from seminary. I kinda regret that, because it's one of the more difficult books of study of the four-year course... And I seriously studied this all nearly 10 years ago... Anyway...

I do know there are other people later in the bible. Adam & Eve are the first of his covenant. So they're still the initiator of a lineage, the first of something. They're also the first people named in the bible, making them special. It also says later in Genesis 3:20, that Eve was "was the mother of all living". There's many reasons why it's like that. Talking generically about Christians for a moment, they often are subject to the cherry-picking effect, which means the church tends to pick the pieces it prefers from the bible to back up it's policies.

The first two chapters almost seem like someone had issues editing, and copied things in the wrong order.

Also, said church I mentioned before, it does teach it's people that it's the knowledge of good and evil, not just knowledge alone.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#7 | Back to Top07-27-2012 10:18:43 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Morality was a very different concept in the Torah vs. what we think about morality today. The ultimate morality in the Torah is obedience to the will of god. All other concerns are ultimately secondary, as Abraham proved when he attempted to murder his son based on god's instructions. Further, the "good and evil" from the text is a somewhat poetic construct from the Hebrew "tov va-ra", literally "good and bad." It is likely that the author intended this as a blanket term that referred to all knowledge, and it is widely held in secondary sources (Talmud, Midrash) that Adam literally knew everything. Eve is less discussed due to the patriarchal nature of these sources, but it could be inferred that she knew everything as well.

Of course, the religions of today are quite a bit different from the religions that this story originated in, so most people understand the story of Adam & Eve quite a bit differently now. Since the version we know about is already 2000 years old, it stands to reason that the original text is a little inaccessible. For that matter, we don't even know for sure that's what the original text says, the language is that old.

If you want to have a scholarly discussion about the story, you need to be specific about which translation you're using, and which religious traditions you're taking into consideration, as they're quite a bit different depending on who you ask.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#8 | Back to Top07-27-2012 10:54:46 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Good job Morgus, this is better. emot-biggrin

Anyway, an interpretation I've heard that makes a lot of sense on some of the things about the Old Testament God is to look at it more like an Elder God from the Cthulhu mythos. Like Stormcrow said, the Jews had a different view of God and ours is influenced a lot by the New Testament. Its ways are inscrutable, it may kill you or bring you mass calamity for little or no reason(Job and others), but you better listen to it unless you want something even worse to happen. The concept of Satan as we know is a more recent invention that came along a little before Jesus's time, and the word "Satan" comes from the word "adversary"--a job that God had for a particular angel who is meant to tempt mankind. Satan isn't his enemy, he was a legit angel working for God. EVERYTHING is under God's domain, and life in the desert can be harsh and cruel. If you didn't want things to get worse, you obeyed him--even if what he's asking you to do is bone-chilling awful.

Remember, looking directly upon God, according to Moses's encounter with God, can strike a man blind. He is a being of such awesome power and inscrutable nature that at times he may be more destructive than helpful. The Tree is Knowledge is that which man was not meant to know. It is impurity and sin and nakedness and death. Again, sort of very Lovecraftian in that knowledge and curiosity of the unknown will bring calamity.

If anyone here is interested in this sort of thing, you might want to check out Supernatural, who seem to know a lot about ancient concepts of God. The angels in the series are nor sure what's entirely going on, what they do know is going to happen is often terrible, but they can be either too afraid or dogmatic to do anything but follow orders.

Hat Mafia Member

#9 | Back to Top07-27-2012 12:23:41 PM

Overlord Morgus
Banned

I think the dominant theme throughout Genesis is that every form of human empowerment beyond that of social designation is evil. Every time that humanity gets a leg up, whether it's through interbreeding with the gods, or building the Tower of Babel, God brings a flood or wipes everyone's memories. The only type of person who's left untouched by God is the docile patriarch. It's a doctrine that preaches weakness.

Last edited by Overlord Morgus (07-27-2012 12:24:09 PM)

#10 | Back to Top07-27-2012 12:27:01 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Being that versions of the english Bible we have access to towards are all heavily edited and/or outright deviating from the original ancient writings (where all the angels' names except for 3 could simply got erased by the early church, even), it is almost impossible to read anything in today's Bible and claim that as the actual, literal Bible - what we get now is like a fanfic of a fanfic of the original writing.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#11 | Back to Top07-27-2012 02:02:01 PM

thothptah
Ohtori Paramouri

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Being that versions of the english Bible we have access to towards are all heavily edited and/or outright deviating from the original ancient writings (where all the angels' names except for 3 could simply got erased by the early church, even), it is almost impossible to read anything in today's Bible and claim that as the actual, literal Bible - what we get now is like a fanfic of a fanfic of the original writing.

This just isn't true. Angels as individual beings were simply not a big deal in early Israelite religion (early Israelite religion seems to view angels as extensions of the divine), where the majority of the Biblical texts, especially in the "Old Testament" come from. It wasn't until the Exile when Persian culture began to have a massive influence in the Ancient Near East that a more detailed angelology developed. The early church had nothing to do with editing "Old Testament" texts, these were already sacred scripture that they had received from Judaism, and we have manuscript evidence and a decent idea of the development of some of the major manuscript families and variants. The state of the text for the majority of the Old Testament is actually rather good (this was shown by the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls last century, the majority of which were from the pre-Christian/Church era), and the text of the New Testament is even better established (with literally thousands of manuscripts from four major manuscript families worth of evidence).

There is no perfect English translation of the Bible because every act of translation is by nature an act of interpretation, especially in regards to the "Old Testament" where a Semitic language is being translated into an Indo-European one (the issue is much less difficult in the case of the New Testament since it was written in Greek, which is also an Indo-European language and one whose vocabulary and syntax have had a massive impact on English). With that being said, there are still very good translations available. The King James Version was very good for its day and age, but the simple fact is that 400 years have passed since it was done, and we have learned massive amounts of information about the Hebrew language and the cultural setting of the Ancient Near East in those four centuries. Among modern day translations, the three that stand out the most in my opinion are the New Revised Standard Version (NRSV- my preferred translation when I have to use one), the English Standard Version (ESV- very literal, but with a stronger conservative theological bias), and the New International Version (NIV- a slightly looser translation, but which does a good job of expressing the text idiomatically).

tl;dr
The text of the Bible is actually fairly reliable (i.e. very few corruptions, and most major variants have been identified and are noted). Whether that makes its theological interpretations of historical events true or not is an entirely different question.

Edited for spelling and clarification of a point.

Last edited by thothptah (07-27-2012 02:19:18 PM)

#12 | Back to Top07-27-2012 02:47:35 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Hi thothptah:

The below is a part of the angel issue I was referring to upthread:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_pope_ … _the_bible

The angels are represented throughout the Bible as a body of spiritual beings intermediate between God and men. Uriel is one of four archangels for many Christians but not for Catholics.
Uriel's name does not appear in the canonical scriptures as recognized by the Catholic Church today. He is mentioned in two apocryphal writings the Church used to reference in the early Middle Ages. Pope St. Zachary is most famous for overseeing Germany's conversion to Christianity and for crowning Pepin the Short, Charlemagne's father, as King of the Franks. Simultaneous with rampant idolatry of Uriel and other angels, Pope Zachary battled many other practices he deemed heretical, including married clergy and secular rulers choosing bishops.
In 745, Pope Zachary reformed the canon of the Church and removed the two apocryphal books that mentioned Uriel by name, and along with them any basis for Uriel's official place in the Church. Uriel lost not only the title of archangel, but also his place as an official saint.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_did_pope_ … z21rBXudok

Whether angels are "important" to early Israelite religion or not is now something that today's historians work to rediscover though our limited modern means, but various angels (and their deeds) are in fact prominently featured in even today's Roman Catholic old and even new bible testaments.   The fact that the names of such entities could be erased from Catholic teaching when there are actually ancient sources pointing to their naming make me believe that the Catholic Teaching - maybe beyond the scope of just the Bible - has been tampered more than enough for me to comfortably see it as the original intended reading.  Miles do vary, of course.

Whether that makes its theological interpretations of historical events true or not is an entirely different question.

I agree with you on this one.

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#13 | Back to Top07-27-2012 02:56:54 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Overlord Morgus wrote:

I think the dominant theme throughout Genesis is that every form of human empowerment beyond that of social designation is evil. Every time that humanity gets a leg up, whether it's through interbreeding with the gods, or building the Tower of Babel, God brings a flood or wipes everyone's memories. The only type of person who's left untouched by God is the docile patriarch. It's a doctrine that preaches weakness.

......Yeah, not gonna lie, gotta agree with you there. Even the people God chooses to be his prophet want nothing to do with it. Seriously, look at basically any prophet or leader in the Old Testament. They all make excuses and run from it as much as they can. Today we may interpret it as being humble, but I think it's very fair to see them as being terrified.

Although, in my personal opinion, the ancient Judaic way of looking at God just seems more...honest. Because by allowing that God can also be a horrible monster by human understanding and that we better just try our best to make him happy or else he'll fry us to bits, it makes more sense. The idea that a loving and all-powerful God could allow Satan to exist makes no sense. Either he isn't powerful enough to take him down, or he continues to let Satan do whatever he wants because he's a jerk. The Zoroastrianism that influenced Christianity at least makes the God of Evil and the God of Good relatively equally matched(I can't remember or spell their names right now, durrr). But God creating Satan and being all-powerful but just not doing anything? Errrrgh, dumb.

One one hand, because it makes ore objective sense, I might not have become an athiest/Buddhist/whatever the hell I am if it stayed that way. But such an idea sort of leads to religious extremism since, I mean, if your neighbor worships Enlil and you genuinely believe that this behavior will bring some unspeakable calamity upon your community, you pretty much would have the moral imperative to convert him or kill him. Besides the fact that this idea would make the more "God loves you" ideas of Jesus to be laughable, and for all the awfulness that has been brought about in his name, at least the guy was genuinely trying to get everyone to get along.

By the way, there is a group of people who do worship the Old Ones from the Cthulhu Mythos--learned a teeny bit on this Lovecraft documentary that's on Crackle right now. I have no information about them beyond that, but at least I understand them logically a bit more after that.

Hat Mafia Member

Board footer