This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top06-20-2012 11:20:25 PM

PrettyPeopleWithSwords
Rose Smilee

Re: The Legend of Korra Thread

Why is it hard to understand why someone losing their bending would be devastating? Benders, once discovering their ability, dedicate their lives to training and honing their gift and then depend on it for their livelihood. Bending, for many of them, gives them their purpose in life. It's also obvious that bending provides another set of senses through which the bender can communicate with their medium. That's a LOT to lose if you ask me, and I didn't even throw in any spiritual elements since that aspect of bending isn't very clear. It'd almost be like losing a leg.

Anyway, does anyone else think Pema and Tenzin are kind of creepy? The show makes it feel like they love and respect each other and all, but she really is a baby factory first and foremost. That and Tenzin is a good 15 years older than her. I wonder if he'll have to dump her for an even younger wife once she gets too old to pump out airbenders anymore?

#27 | Back to Top06-21-2012 12:03:21 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@OnlyInThisLight

So I read the fanfic and laughed a little, but then felt bad about laughing for a second. (Still think Tarrlok's a douche though.)

I like your Amon and Korra are both the Avatar theory. Maybe that happened because in the past the world was divided into four nations and for the most part it seemed like everyone kept to themselves and only had children with people from their own nation. But now we only have a handful of Airbenders Left. Not to mention, the United Republic of Nations is basically a melting pot. So it's possible that the Avatar Spirit got confused about where to get reincarnated.

They do explain in A:TLA that the new Avatar is born right after the old one dies. In "The Avatar and the Firelord" they show Aang being born right after Roku meets his death by volcano. However, they didn't really explain whether or not the Avatar gets a different "soul" each time. We know that the Avatar gets a different personality each time she or he gets reincarnated (and what gender the Avatar is appears to be random; the Avatar just follows the cycle of nations.)

I think that maybe the Avatar has two souls: their individual soul and the Avatar Spirit. The Avatar is basically the world in human form, and the Avatar gets reincarnated when s/he dies. Unless the Avatar is killed in the Avatar State. I think that's because Avatar State=Avatar Spirit inhabiting the Avatar's body. Or something like that. Either way, the Avatar does have spiritual Facebook.

Oh, and if we're posting Tarrlok fanfics, here's one I found on tumblr. This does feature explicit smut and Tahno being a prostitute, so don't like don't read. (But it really is interesting that Tarrlok is actually nice to Tahno in a convoluted and kinda messed up sort of way.)

http://failedjuliet.tumblr.com/post/243 … slash-smut

http://failedjuliet.tumblr.com/post/244 … slash-smut

http://failedjuliet.tumblr.com/post/245 … slash-smut

This writer also did fanart for her story (it's not explicit): http://failedjuliet.deviantart.com/art/ … -306077363

Also, the name for this pairing is Tahnok because this person says so and she's the only one that's done anything for this pairing so far.

#28 | Back to Top06-21-2012 01:19:16 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

I hadn't put 2 and 2 together until OITL had broken it down but the LoK's fandom's psychotic ship wars and wel,l ships (IrohxAnyone) perfectly frame why I'm anti-ship. Unless of course it's a canon pair.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#29 | Back to Top06-21-2012 04:20:49 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Epee_724 wrote:

I hadn't put 2 and 2 together until OITL had broken it down but the LoK's fandom's psychotic ship wars and wel,l ships (IrohxAnyone) perfectly frame why I'm anti-ship. Unless of course it's a canon pair.

I just stick with my crack ships because Mako and his stupid love triangle irritate me for reasons I already mentioned.

Why is it hard to understand why someone losing their bending would be devastating? Benders, once discovering their ability, dedicate their lives to training and honing their gift and then depend on it for their livelihood. Bending, for many of them, gives them their purpose in life. It's also obvious that bending provides another set of senses through which the bender can communicate with their medium. That's a LOT to lose if you ask me, and I didn't even throw in any spiritual elements since that aspect of bending isn't very clear. It'd almost be like losing a leg.

Anyway, does anyone else think Pema and Tenzin are kind of creepy? The show makes it feel like they love and respect each other and all, but she really is a baby factory first and foremost. That and Tenzin is a good 15 years older than her. I wonder if he'll have to dump her for an even younger wife once she gets too old to pump out airbenders anymore?

Everything you've said about losing bending makes total sense too me. Still, at the same time, what you've said certainly could have used more on-screen exploration. Maybe with Tahno joining the group and not just being there to create more romance drama.

I never though of Pema and Tenzin as creepy, but it does kind of suck that Pema is mostly either having babies or giving Korra romantic advice in the limited screentime she gets. What you said is kind of contradictory, because if Tenzin loves and respects Pema, then why would he dump her for a younger woman?

Last edited by CausalityStar (06-21-2012 04:21:15 AM)

#30 | Back to Top06-21-2012 10:18:45 AM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Poking my head in because Tumblr makes me feel like I've watched LoK even though I haven't.

CausalityStar wrote:

They do explain in A:TLA that the new Avatar is born right after the old one dies. In "The Avatar and the Firelord" they show Aang being born right after Roku meets his death by volcano. However, they didn't really explain whether or not the Avatar gets a different "soul" each time. We know that the Avatar gets a different personality each time she or he gets reincarnated (and what gender the Avatar is appears to be random; the Avatar just follows the cycle of nations.)

Doesn't Aang at some point actually talk to Roku's spirit/soul? I think that's why I think their individual souls are separate from the Avatar entity.

Then again, it's also possible that the Avatar entity is an amalgamation of all previous Avatars.

And I wouldn't say that the gender selection is random, either. It's that we're looking at it as a cycle/pattern of 4 instead of a cycle/pattern of 8. The Avatar cycle is intended such that they get a balanced experience as a male AND female member of all four nations.

Korra= female Waterbender
Aang= male Airbender
Roku=male Firebender
Kyoshi= female Earthbender
Kuruk=male Waterbender
Yangchen=female Airbender

So, the next Avatar after Korra will be a male Earthbender, and the Avatar before Yangchen is a female Firebender.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#31 | Back to Top06-21-2012 11:20:35 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Poking my head in because Tumblr makes me feel like I've watched LoK even though I haven't.

CausalityStar wrote:

Doesn't Aang at some point actually talk to Roku's spirit/soul? I think that's why I think their individual souls are separate from the Avatar entity.

Then again, it's also possible that the Avatar entity is an amalgamation of all previous Avatars.

And I wouldn't say that the gender selection is random, either. It's that we're looking at it as a cycle/pattern of 4 instead of a cycle/pattern of 8. The Avatar cycle is intended such that they get a balanced experience as a male AND female member of all four nations.

Korra= female Waterbender
Aang= male Airbender
Roku=male Firebender
Kyoshi= female Earthbender
Kuruk=male Waterbender
Yangchen=female Airbender

So, the next Avatar after Korra will be a male Earthbender, and the Avatar before Yangchen is a female Firebender.

Actually, the Avatar before Yangchen was a male Firebender who was shown in the episode "The Avatar State". Here's the AVatar wikia article about him:
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_fire_Avatar

That's what gave me the impression that what gender the avatar is is somewhat random. Of course, if after Korra we get a male earthbender and then a female firebender and female airbender, then maybe it's not entirely random. Even if there is not a consistent pattern, then I think you're right about the Avatar needing to have roughly equal numbers of both genders for blanace.

I am thinking that each Avatar has his/her own individual soul + the Avatar entity. Since the new Avatar is born right after the old one dies, I think that just means that the Avatar Entity/Spirit/Whatever just goes off and attaches itself to the most convenient newborn baby in the next nation in the cycle.

Last edited by CausalityStar (06-21-2012 11:21:23 AM)

#32 | Back to Top06-21-2012 11:54:36 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

I like to think that each soul is indeed a new one, but contains the spirit of the Avatar... that is to say that an avatar's spirit vibration is the same. Does that make sense? Hmmm... Let's see... Each Avatar is themselves, but is born with a special link that allows them to communicate differently with the world around them. In this way they are able to bend all elements and communicate with the spirits around. I know that in the TLA world, that there were others who could commune with spirits, but the Avatar has the avatar link that connects them with the spirit world. Depending on the individual personality, an avatar may find the link more easily than the previous, but it is there. For non-avatars (well, everyone else), they must first establish that link. That in itself could take years of soul searching and eventual Enlightenment.

idk, that's just my personal canon.

I really would like to learn more about the previous avatars. Kyoshi lived a VERY long time, and Yangchen was said to be an Enlightened Airbender. We know a good deal about Roku, but NOTHING about Kuruk. I thought that Korra would connect with him as her guide, but alas not so much. I know Aang connected with Roku, but I thought that was because of Roku's association with the war. I hadn't realized that the immediate past incarnation would guide the newest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999
Red Lobster CGM- Burning Shrimp since 2013
Amazon FFC fucking shit up since 2015
Best Buy Warehouse - Tech decks on deck since 2016

#33 | Back to Top06-21-2012 03:37:52 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Melancholic Soul

I think that your personal canon makes a lot of sense. Also, if you want to know more about some of the Avatars before Aang, the Animated Graphic novel, "Escape From the Spirit World", which takes place right between seasons two and three gives you some more information about Aang's past lives. It was included on the second season DVD release as a special feature and it may still be on youtube somewhere.

I'm confused by what you mean about Yangchen being an "Enlightened Airbender". In the series finale when Aang talks to her, she specifical says that the Avatar can never detach themselves from the world, even if s/he is an Air Nomad and find spiritual freedom because their duty is to the world.

#34 | Back to Top06-21-2012 05:12:11 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

CausalityStar wrote:

@Melancholic Soul

I think that your personal canon makes a lot of sense. Also, if you want to know more about some of the Avatars before Aang, the Animated Graphic novel, "Escape From the Spirit World", which takes place right between seasons two and three gives you some more information about Aang's past lives. It was included on the second season DVD release as a special feature and it may still be on youtube somewhere.

Ah, I will definitely look for that.

CausalityStar wrote:

I'm confused by what you mean about Yangchen being an "Enlightened Airbender". In the series finale when Aang talks to her, she specifical says that the Avatar can never detach themselves from the world, even if s/he is an Air Nomad and find spiritual freedom because their duty is to the world.

Enlightened was definitely the wrong word. I meant that she was a highly respected person of her people.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/anthy_utena/rukasan.gif Believing in the power of Love and Justice since 1999

#35 | Back to Top06-21-2012 06:20:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

CausalityStar wrote:

Actually, the Avatar before Yangchen was a male Firebender who was shown in the episode "The Avatar State". Here's the AVatar wikia article about him:
http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Unnamed_fire_Avatar

You know what would be funny/weird? If there's never been a female Firebender as Avatar.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#36 | Back to Top06-21-2012 08:05:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

PrettyPeopleWithSwords wrote:

I'm just comparing the stakes between this and A:TLA.  We've been given no reason to assume that Amon and the Equalists kill or torture their captives, so to me, the stakes have been lowered.  There's also the lingering promise that bending may be returned by the same method that takes it away, energybending.  I'm just not very emotionally moved by benders having their bending removed at this point, because I have a strong feeling they'll get it back or because, hey, they aren't dead.  With the exception of five seconds with Tahno, there's been no real show of how having one's bending taken away affects them.  We can explain and talk about the importance of bending all we want, but LOK still needs to show the individual's connection with bending and what that means for it have any real impact for viewers, especially those who did not watch A:TLA (where we watched them struggle and sacrifice to learn their skill, and we were taught so much about the connection between bending and culture).  They can't have the fandom fill in the characterization blanks that they leave in the writing as much as thus far has been done.  :/  It's fun for fan-fiction and speculation, but I want to see this stuff in the show itself, which is not happening so much due to both the dumbass romance drama it keeps pushing into every relationship and just the constraints of a shorter, faster moving series.

For example, Korra losing her bending would upset and move me, but that's because it has been shown how much Korra loves bending -how she took so easily to the physical aspect of bending, how she uses it without thought in tandem with her emotions, like an extension of her body and spirit, her voiced concerns over her failure as an Avatar and how physical bending is the only thing she's good at.  Lin loosing her bending hits hard because of its connection with her late mother, but that's the kind of thing that needs to be shown, as in, the only thing we know about Lin and Toph's relationship at this point is that Lin fell out of her and also she used to bone Tenzin oh wait, fucking damnitstupidfreakinglovetriangles.  So, I can easily understand why bending would be devastating.... I want it to be shown and explored (and hopefully it will be).  Otherwise I'm meh.  Avatar has always been a high emotion show, be it anger, drama, sadness, fear, humor.  But it did it via solid, dedicated character exploration both in back-story and in present time.

#37 | Back to Top06-22-2012 12:18:59 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@RavenNightShade

That would be really weird, but I'm pretty sure that went Aang went Avatar State in the series finale and they were showing a long chain of past Avatars that there was a female firebender there for about a second. I'm pretty sure she's firenation since the avatar they show after her is a male airbender.

@OnlyInThisLight

I agree that LOK needs more show and not tell and less stupid love triangles. Even if the Equalists don't torture or kill their captives, removing bending is still extreme to me considering that the only people who lost their bending before were Ozai and Yakone and with those two, it was a case of either remove their bending or kill them. (Especially with Ozai.) That to me implies that de-bending someone is something only to be done under extreme circumstances and it is just one step below the death penalty. (And so far the only people that I think might have deserved it in LOK are the Triple Threat gang leaders and that firebender that's going around killing everyone's parents. And Tarrlok.)

But yeah, it would have been nice to have more than just that scene with Tahno to show what losing bending does to a person. (Like have him join Team Avatar maybe.) Plus, some LOK fans haven't seen A:TLA like you said, so LOK should make a point on showing why bending is important to a bender and why losing it is traumatic.

As for Toph and Lin, I'm personally a fan of Lin coming into existence this way: (Don't worry, it's completely safe for work)
http://fixingships.tumblr.com/post/23580211454

Now I want to talk about Yakone. How did he learn bloodbending when Hama was the one who invented it and Katara was apparently her only apprentice? Also, when Yakone is on trial, Katara is suspiciously absent. Very interesting...

Last edited by CausalityStar (06-22-2012 06:48:26 PM)

#38 | Back to Top06-22-2012 09:43:01 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

CausalityStar wrote:

As for Toph and Lin, I'm personally a fan of Lin coming into existence this way: (Don't worry, it's completely safe for work)

hahahaaa, I am now a believer in Earthbending Conception

CausalityStar wrote:

Now I want to talk about Yakone. How did he learn bloodbending when Hama was the one who invented it and Katara was apparently her only apprentice? Also, when Yakone is on trial, Katara is suspiciously absent. Very interesting...

I've wondered this too. How did Yakone learn bloodbending? I wondered if it was something he'd stumbled upon at some point. Sokka says something to the point that Yakone might have a trait that allows him to bloodbend without a full moon. I think that Katara can do this as well (a la the episode she bends that southern raider guy...northern raiders? I can't remember, but I was sure it wasn't a full moon out.)

I wonder if it was also possible that Yakone could have simply heard about blood bending, and then managed to teach himself. I'm sure the gAang's adventures would have been common knowledge in Yakone's childhood/youth.

Also, on a separate note, it seems that bloodbending may have been a real problem at some point. Otherwise, why ban a type of bending that only 2 people were known to use?

#39 | Back to Top06-22-2012 01:35:45 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

CausalityStar wrote:

I approve of this theory.   Greatest Earthbender Ever Katara. 

There has to be something more to this bloodbending thing.  For one, making it possible to bloodbend without a full moon isn't necessary to the plot we've seen thus far -Tarrlok could have been a regular bloodbender that Korra faced during a full moon and nothing would be lost.  For two, if there is nothing more to the establishment of bloodbending w/o a full moon and the introduction of Yakone and Tarrlok's connection to him, then man that means it was all just filler to pad time or worse, an excuse to put Korra in danger and to force her to meditate.  :<  I would hope that a series as short as this wouldn't put something that consumed as much time as that in without it having any kind of future relevance. 

MOAR AMONSTER THEORY TIEM.  (Sorry, too many puns for LOK to resist*)  Amon is the descendant of Ty Lee.  She did mention coming from a large family, so she would have lotsa descendents. 

*WE COULD'VE HAD IT ALLLLLLL
BOLIN IN THE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

#40 | Back to Top06-22-2012 04:25:17 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Melancholic_Soul wrote:

I wonder if it was also possible that Yakone could have simply heard about blood bending, and then managed to teach himself. I'm sure the gAang's adventures would have been common knowledge in Yakone's childhood/youth.

This seems unlikely considering that Yakone is at least a good decade older than Aang, if not two, not counting the iceberg time. But if one person can come up with the technique in captivity, there's no reason to assume that others couldn't follow in their footsteps.

Also, on a separate note, it seems that bloodbending may have been a real problem at some point. Otherwise, why ban a type of bending that only 2 people were known to use?

Well, there is a triad called Red Monsoons in the setting...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#41 | Back to Top06-22-2012 05:51:46 PM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

Lightice wrote:

This seems unlikely considering that Yakone is at least a good decade older than Aang, if not two, not counting the iceberg time. But if one person can come up with the technique in captivity, there's no reason to assume that others couldn't follow in their footsteps.

Ah, true... That point just triggered something for me. Is Yakone Northern Watertribe? I thought he was... In that case it's true his bending is probably not connected to Katara and Hama at all. further proof I wasn't thinking very clearly at the time. Yakone has a pretty good grip on bloodbending. His ability to apply his bending on such a large group seems somewhat amazing.

>>>>aaaannnnddddd.... I wonder why Amon is able to break a bender's hold on him? (just assuming that's the case based on his confrontation with Tarrlok)  I'm forming an idea about that concerning his ability to take away bending. I know that Aang learned the nature of energy bending from the LionTurtle. We learned that to bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable. I think this could mean that bloodbending can be overcome by an energy bender.

#42 | Back to Top06-22-2012 07:08:53 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@Melancholic_Soul

That episode was called "The Southern Raiders". And it was a full moon when Katara was using bloodbending on that guy in the episode. Remember, she only used bloodbending on the current leader of the Southern Raiders, not the guy who actually killed her mom.

I have heard this "Katara can bloodbend without the full moon" idea before based on this episode, but if you watch the part where she and Zuko are intercepting the ship, they show a full moon. I do think it is possible for Katara to learn to bloodbend without a full moon since she is a waterbending prodigey. However, they have never shown her doing that in the series. The only times she used it were to bloodbend Hama and to use it on the current leader of the Southern Raiders and both times there was a full moon out.

@OnlyInThisLight

I think that the bloodbending without the full moon was kind of necessary, otherwise there would be no way that Tarrlok would be able to realistically keep Korra under his control for very long. (She's the avatar and he can't keep her in a metal box forever.) Not to mention, I doubt Tarrlok could've fought off Lin, Tenzin, and everyone in Team Avatar without his bloodbending. Some goes for Yakone fighting off everyone in the courtroom.

I am disappointed that the bloodbending arc was so short though because I was convinced that Tarrlok would at least be a minor villain for a few more episodes. But it's not illogical for bloodbending without the full moon to be possible, because the last series had extreme benders like Toph and Combustion Man.

I guess it's possible that Yakone independently came up with bloodbending and if he was already a criminal, than he could have taught it to more people, resulting in it being banned.

And that idea about Amon having an immunity to bloodbending thanks to energy bending sounds plausible. Also, glad you guys approve of Earthbending conception.

The idea that I had for Amon's origins was that he was the love child of Ty Lee and Azula because he's evil and a chi-blocker. It is possible, since for now his backstory is unverified.

#43 | Back to Top06-22-2012 08:29:03 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

@ LOVE OF MY LI- I mean, CausalityStar

But I feel like that still could have been written around quite easily -knocking Korra out with bloodbending during a full moon, and then tying her up and hitting her with one of the Equalists' gloves at regular intervals to keep her from bending until she was in teh box, and simply not having Tenzin and the other's confront Tarrlok.   He could have escaped (using informants to track the Team) or some such.  So I still think that there is more of a reason why bloodbending, specifically non-full-moon bloodbending was introduced (besides being more interesting for viewers).  I feel it may tie in with an overarching theme of change in LOK.  That benders are evolving alongside their advancing society.  After all, Mako can bend lighting and it's not treated as much of anything out of the ordinary, whereas in A:TLA it was a rare talent and incredibly difficult to master. 

Out of nowhere -I actually like Mako a lot.  I just don't like what his character represents.  The brooding asshole who sekritly wuvs you.  As a romantic interest, he is an annoying and predictable cliche, and as the love triangle continues becoming more an asshole.  But I love his expressions, his banter with Bolin (who is funniest when he's playing off of Mako), his design.  If he wasn't pegged from episode one as endgame love interest he would be so much more likable, because he would develop in less problematic ways.  It's kinda like the one person on the Mako hatin' tumblr said -I like him as a personality, but not as a character.

Like I said.  Love triangle make everyone suck.  emot-frown

#44 | Back to Top06-22-2012 11:57:59 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@OnlyInThisLight

I like that idea of benders evolving along with society. In A:TLA only members of the Fire Nation royal family could lightning-bend and now even street urchins can do it. (I remember reading somewhere that Lightening Bolt Zolt taught him how to do that.)

Oh, and it's flattering that I'm the love of your life, thanks. emot-smile

Mako does have an interesting character design and I liked his interaction with Bolin too. Sadly, he had a lot of potential, but got shafted by a combination of being the endgame love interest in the annoying love triangle. Similarly, I think that Bolin and Asami have gotten screwed over by that too, but at least they have likable personalities and aren't brooding assholes who secretly lurve u 4everz. Plus, a huge chunk of Team Avatar's badassery comes from Asami.

The fact that Mako has flaws doesn't bother me, it's the fact that he has them and everyone is totally oblivious to them with the exception of Asami. I just have the feeling that he'll end up badly hurting her feelings and still end up with Korra without learning anything. It'll be like, "Hey, it's perfectly okay to string along two people romantically because you'll still end up dating the Avatar."

If they wanted to focus more on romance in LOK, I wouldn't have minded if it was done properly and over the course of much more than twelve episodes so that the appropriate ratio of romance:plot is maintained.

The only love triangle I give a crap about is the imaginary one in my head between Amon, the Lieutenant, and Hiroshi Sato. Because we all know that Amon is going to get super pissed at the Lieutenant's incompetence and eventually leave him for Hiroshi Sato. And then Asami will be in a "Has Two Daddies Situation" and they'll all be one happy, dysfunctional family. (I know, I'm a horrible person, but someone else on tumblr suggested this love triangle and I just found it so hilarious that I couldn't help it.) school-devil

#45 | Back to Top06-23-2012 10:08:43 AM

Melancholic_Soul
Dancer Romancer

So much adghsahdd right now...

YESSSS for whatever reason I loved this last hour of LoK. So happy for Korra and Lin. I'm so glad Korra was able to return Lin's bending. I love the appearance of Bumi (wished there was more of him though) ahhhh so much...

Noatok!!!! that guy! Who'd have thought he and Tarrlok were so cute as children? Also Noatokk loooks like Male!Korra as a teen >__>  Seriously what a great backstory. Not gonna lie, I felt so bad for those two bros...

Now Beifong can finally get out of that suit!!!!!!!

#46 | Back to Top06-23-2012 01:42:06 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I called that shit about Amon being a bloodbender! Yeah! (I admit, I was wrong about him being Yakone, but at least I was on the right track.) And that episode actually made me feel bad for Tarrlok. Damn. So I guess we were wrong about the bloodbending arc coming to a conclusion so soon.

I still don't really like Makorra because I feel that Mako didn't really get enough character development/the ability to handle romantic relationships correctly. At least he finally apologized to Asami instead of blaming other people for his jackass behavior. Still, I felt like the show overall didn't really respect her feelings and that she was just a pawn to make Mako realize that he lurves Korra like for 5ever.

I did like Asami's confrontation with her father and the fact that it proves that she didn't join Team Avatar just to be with Mako. She really thought the Equalists methods were wrong and realized that her father's quest for revenge had corrupted the love he once once had for her mother. I sincerely hope that Asami gets a lot of screen time in season two. The same goes for Bolin. I hate how ever since episode five he's pretty much been reduced to the comic relief character and how throughout the finale he pretty much gets stuck with one-liners that are often inappropriate for the situation. They really need to make him more well-rounded like they did for Sokka.

Also, I hope that Korra and Asami will actually become friends. Notice how they were the only two members of Team Avatar who didn't hug each other or even say farewell. Even though the season ended the way OnlyInThisLight predicted, I am glad that Korra and Lin got their bending back. (And I still have the secret hope of Tahno appearing in season two. Yes I am delusional.)

I will definitely watch season two, but if it turns into "The Makorra Show, Featuring Third-Wheels Bolin and Asami" then I don't even know. I really want the focus to be on Korra's avatar journey and not on her journey of romance with her boyfriend.

#47 | Back to Top06-23-2012 04:57:42 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Oh, you better believe they are just going to pair off Bolin and Asami.  Can't have any spares lying around. *eyeroll*  At least Mako psuedo-whatever-that-was broke up Asami first.

A part of me is disappointed in Amon's true backstory, just because it seemed to be revealed too fast and conveniently (although I did suspect he was a bender after Korra blasted him with some snow and he 'twirled' it away from his body).  But the idea that he's been using a very subtle form of bloodbending to misdirect bender's attacks is brilliant.  I also wish we could have learned more about what happened to him after he fled Yakone, how he built an army and met his Lieutenant, how he learned to use blood-bending to remove bending, just to let us get inside his head a little bit more and decipher whether or not he thought bending was evil or just craved power (though both stem from the desire to usurp his father) making his breaking down and the words he spoke to his brother all the more powerful.  Because it does feel a little cheap for everything about Amon's story and ideals be a lie, and that father issues aside that there is nothing there for Korra or the other benders to confront about some of the genuine power imbalances in Republic City and how to fix them.   It was saddening to see how suddenly Non-Amon he was after his secret was revealed, so it wasn't quite the super epic showdown I was hoping for.  But still, it's not something I expected, and it tied together very well. 

Also, I kinda cried out loud when I realized Korra was talking to Aang.  It just.  My heart.  She was contemplating suicide, you guys.  And he's there, and so are all the other Avatar's, and the message behind it was so beautiful. 

Korra's suicide attempt, Amon's past, Asami's non-reconciliation with her father as he attempts to KILL her, the final scene between Tarrlok and Noatokk.... this was so incredibly dark, happy ending or no. 

Maybe the next season will focus on lingering unrest in Republic City, Amon was a traitor, but that doesn't mean they or the Lieutenant still don't cry out for the eradication of bending, and while taking out an organized terrorist is the sort of thing an army is good for, peace requires something different.

#48 | Back to Top06-23-2012 05:00:55 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

I felt that the finale ended too clean for season 2.

Based on what I've seen, I'd have preferred if Korra gets stuck with air bending for a while, and actually take the time during season 2 to journey into spirit realm to relearn fire/earth/water bending. Unless the directors have something else in store for season 2...... but we shall see. I have to say though, I'll be a little bit sad if season 2 becomes largely Makorra. Toward the end of season 1, we finally get a glimpse into the more "human" aspect of the Lieutenant, and I really liked the flashback with Noatok and Tarrlok. I hope the potential for further character development won't be wasted.

#49 | Back to Top06-23-2012 05:17:29 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Agree, I kind of wanted Korra to stay with airbending for awhile, but then again it felt perfectly in character for she was for that to not be an option.  As in, bending was such a big part of Korra's life and who she was, I don't think she could have risen above having it lost forever, especially since I think the connection to the elements is an even deeper one for the Avatar.  Plus, I just found the moment between her and Aang too moving.  To be on the verge of suicide, at your very lowest, and then there is someone there.   And it's so beautiful, because Aang is a part of her, so in a way, it was herself standing there to lend a hand. 

And it wasn't Mako thank God.  Man, I think I really could have gotten behind this pairing, since both of them are so epic, but I just don't see the chemistry.  I see them telling each other they love each other and getting upset at the losses of one another, but no reason why they do so.  It never developed, it was just there.  Time was spent having Mako confused over his feelings and Korra upset and backing off instead of having them spend more time together and interacting in ways that weren't copy and pasted from every hot/cold romance cliche in the book.  And this is important because they aren't implying this is two characters who have feelings for each other, the show is all, THEY CAN'T IMAGINE LIVING WITHOUT THE OTHER OMG. 

Omg don even curr cause I'm still crying over how, despite my few nitpicks (that mostly have to do with the overall story than anything else) this finale was so powerful and heartbreaking and uplifting and amazing and unexpected. 

And I'm shipping Bolin/Naga because it was developed better.

#50 | Back to Top06-23-2012 05:40:18 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

@OnlyInThisLight

My hope for season two is that they actually focus on the power imbalances in Republic City with the Lieutenant leading the way. I also wished we had seen even more of Amon's back-story and learned how he was able to bloodbend in such a way. Because that's some powerful bloodbending if even Katara can't undue it.

Even if Mako did psuedo break up with Asami, she still didn't get the kind of closure she deserved. Mako should have broken up with her a long time ago. But at the same time, this makes me respect Asami so much more. A firebender killed her mom and her firebender boyfriend was an asshole and while Korra was never intentionally cruel to her, she was still oblivious to Asami's feelings. In spite of that, she did not develop an irrational prejudice towards benders unlike her father.

I agree with Hiraku a little about how Korra getting her bending back was just a little too neat. Still, I think that the connection to it was always there, because once she was airbending at Amon, she was able to resist his bloodbending, so I think there was some subconscious waterbending going on.

Still, I don't think I could wait until next season and have to deal with the possibility of Korra committing suicide, and that scene with Aang was really beautiful. Not to mention, seeing all of the other Avatars was totally awesome. I liked the season finale until the Makorra bit at the end. If they had had more episodes of Mako and Korra working together like they were in this one, then maybe I could buy that they love each other for 5ever. But right now I don't. Not to mention, a relationship needs more basis than "Yeah we're pretty benders who look good kicking ass together."

I would be okay with Bolin and Asami getting together, except that I get the feeling that if they happened, it would be written as badly as Makorra and make them both look like jerks and there would be the distinct impression that they were consolation prizes to each other. And that would be really lame because they are too awesome to be treated like prizes and not people.

And really, I would have a much easier time believing that Korra had romantic chemistry with Bolin or Asami, or hell even Tahno. Therefore, my AU Korra shipping headcanon is that Borra, Tahno, and Asami are part of Korra's Polyamorous Love Square. If Mako gets proper character development, then he may join the love square. But until then he is forever alone.

Back to Korra possibly attempting suicide: I really, really hope that season two explores some of her psychological issues. Korra is very clearly defined by bending and being the avatar. (Which makes totally since, because unlike Aang she wholeheartedly embraced her avatar destiny. Not to mention, unlike Aang she was protected and cared for her whole childhood and wasn't the only surviving member of a genocide.) Even if she got her bending back, I still think that she was seriously contemplating suicide and once you do that, it stays with you forever. So, hope season two explores this. (Plus, since LOK has 1920's level technology, it would be interesting if psychology is an emerging field as well.)

I also thought that last scene with Tarrlok and Amon was amazingly well-done. Seriously, Tarrlok may have been a scumbag, but I think he redeemed himself. I think he seriously regrets hurting Korra and other people and that he realized that if his brother escaped, he would just take on a new identity and start the whole thing all over again and hurt more people. And I'm impressed that they went there with that murder-suicide on this show.

So other than the Makorra, I am overall pleased with the finale and hope that in season two the redeem some of the writing flaws that they had in this season.

Board footer