This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#926 | Back to Top07-15-2016 02:47:18 PM

malna
Caretaker

Re: Politics

Civil war in Turkey has just started.

a lot of hope in one man tent

#927 | Back to Top07-15-2016 04:33:30 PM

zevrem
Banned

Question is: which superpower is pulling the strings? Who benefits from Turkish civil unrest?

Oh, and to anyone who wants to call anti-Euros "Nazis"...

Last edited by zevrem (07-15-2016 04:43:48 PM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#928 | Back to Top07-15-2016 07:18:38 PM

malna
Caretaker

Looks like the coup subsided. No one outside Turkey is "pulling the strings". My best guess is that it was staged by the army generals to remind Erdogan pointedly who is actually in charge there since about three months ago the arrest of many high-ranked military officers was rumored to happen for their alleged planning of a coup in 2003 (which is a thing they do there, from time to time). It is hearsay but fairly convincing.

#929 | Back to Top07-15-2016 11:09:50 PM

zevrem
Banned

This video encapsulates my thoughts about the priorities of left-leaning politicos and the decline of the Democratic party too well.

That said, I personally don't feel too excited about a mission to Mars. It would require an investment like 50 times bigger than that of the moon landing, with little in the way of interesting information gathered. There aren't that many experiments to be done on Mars that can't be done 50 times more easily on Earth. There just isn't any substantive scientific or economic reason to go there, it's purely for imperial display. This is an example of idiots being right, but for the worst possible reasons.

If we want real science done, we should put more  money into pure math and physics research. Maybe some day we'll break the relativistic speed barrier and get real FTL done. We won't get there by sending people to Mars to take soil samples.

As for the recent police shootings, all they'll do is make Trump and his political ideas, amorphous as they may be, look good.

Last edited by zevrem (07-18-2016 08:26:57 AM)

The real purpose of elections is to make the people hate each other more than they hate their government.

#930 | Back to Top07-19-2016 12:49:30 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

When I first saw Melania Trump criticizing immigration, I thought that was about as awkward as if my own mother, who also moved here, decided to criticize it. Not that there's any reason you couldn't hold those views, but it would be pretty ironic.

But, apparently, the words weren't hers at all, so I guess I'll let it slide.

Somewhat more seriously, I can't imagine the lines were taken by accident/a completely incompetent writer. You don't use completely important writers for big events like this. What I am wondering is why, exactly, it was done. And if the reaction occurring is what was wanted (by the campaign? by the individual writer?) or not. Were they just simply trying to set up a Trump vs. Obama comparison without explicitly saying so, and happened to use too much direct wording and too little paraphrasing? Or did they actually want it to end up as a news story for some reason or another? Was the speech writer some bitter grad student who knew he was getting fired from this gig after the convention and wanted to be spiteful? I just wish I knew the inside story.

.... Well, I'm also wondering why I had to take all those obnoxious plagiarism modules in undergrad and law school if there are, apparently, no real world repercussions for it. But that's pretty secondary. (And yes, that's tongue in cheek. I know there would be real-world repercussions doing this or stuff like it in a legal brief or academic journal. But hey.)

#931 | Back to Top07-19-2016 01:22:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Valeli wrote:

Somewhat more seriously, I can't imagine the lines were taken by accident/a completely incompetent writer. You don't use completely important writers for big events like this. What I am wondering is why, exactly, it was done. And if the reaction occurring is what was wanted (by the campaign? by the individual writer?) or not. Were they just simply trying to set up a Trump vs. Obama comparison without explicitly saying so, and happened to use too much direct wording and too little paraphrasing? Or did they actually want it to end up as a news story for some reason or another? Was the speech writer some bitter grad student who knew he was getting fired from this gig after the convention and wanted to be spiteful? I just wish I knew the inside story.

.... Well, I'm also wondering why I had to take all those obnoxious plagiarism modules in undergrad and law school if there are, apparently, no real world repercussions for it. But that's pretty secondary. (And yes, that's tongue in cheek. I know there would be real-world repercussions doing this or stuff like it in a legal brief or academic journal. But hey.)

I can imagine a conspiracy theory where Trump thinks that this will somehow redound to his benefit.  He's said controversial things before to get media attention.  But that was usually when the media was losing interest in his previous shenanigans, whereas the RNC was getting plenty of press coverage already.  I think this is a case of Hanlon's Razor: "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence."  Or in this case, maybe laziness.

There is laziness to go around; this is not exactly the first time one public figure has plagiarized another.  When Joe Biden ran for president in 1988, he plagiarized several politicians, including Robert F. Kennedy and British Labour Party leader Neil Kinnock -- a scandal that had a lot to do with his exit from that race.  I remember Rand Paul giving a speech a couple years ago that was lifted from Wikipedia's article on the movie Gattaca.  And just this cycle, Ben Carson's book turned out to have a paragraph that was copy-pasted from a right-wing website.

If it were anyone but Trump, it would be ridiculous for a politician to claim that Melania's speech wasn't lifted from Michelle Obama's.  Any normal politician would have apologized with some line about errors during the editing process and fired the speechwriters responsible.  But Trump is still saying that these two nearly-identical speeches are unrelated to each other, because real Americans don't admit fault or apologize. emot-rolleyes

#932 | Back to Top07-20-2016 10:34:55 AM

malna
Caretaker

Valeli, have you seen my post on the previous page? It was heartfelt and field with childhood trauma, ideals, and my strained English.
That feeling when you mull over something and once you meticulously write it down, it turns out to be the last post on a page and probably no one has so much as seen it.

Perhaps not directly connected to politics but pertaining to something that's been bugging me beyond the telling of it for some time: ubiquitous hateful comments hiding behind freedom of speech. Someone I follow on twitter wrote:

so some dude gets banned for repeatedly violating Twitter's ToU but claims his "free speech rights" are violated

is this 1996

if so let me oblige

free speech means the government can't jail or shoot you for being your rabid hateful selves

that's it that's all

Somehow it brightened my mood considerably.

#933 | Back to Top07-20-2016 11:23:48 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Your post about the EU and Brexit? I did see it.
(Your English isn't bad at all, by the way).

I just didn't reply because it's probably not the sort of argument that could or would go anywhere (in my opinion, at least). I mean, it's certainly debatable, but I'm ok with each of us just stating our preferences and moving on. The world has more than enough debating that goes nowhere for me, at the moment, without my further contributions. The only reason I spoke up at all was because everyone else seems to think leaving the union was the worst thing ever, and I wasn't happy with it being portrayed as if that's 100% the case. (It's obviously not the case, since the vote passed, but I've yet to see a single story frame it in a positive light anywhere).

I wonder if, perhaps, my perspective is jaded by having lived most of my life in DC in the United States (as opposed to a state within the US). Sometimes I wonder if people from states have more of an actual state identity than I do, the way you claimed that the EU was just creating a European Identity, rather than slowly damaging National Identities. 

As far as the American side of my family/life, coming from DC, I really have trouble thinking of the US as anything other than the US. We had a war over state identities. And slavery. Mostly (almost entirely) only over state identities insofar as they pertained to the use of slavery, but state identities nonetheless. That was a good while ago now, and - despite the confederate flags you'll see festooned all over various bumper stickers and southern states, I can assure you that the Union won handily. The point of that, other than that war and slavery are both terrible, is that I have difficulty placing much faith in the people of 2016 claiming they're from Virginia, or Arkansas, or Alaska, rather than from the USA as a singular nation.

That's obviously a huge change from what was originally envisioned back with the articles of confederation and all. But it's where I perceive things as having ended up.

State identities have suffered, although even now they're certainly not entirely absent. Now, obviously, the moral upside of eliminating slavery makes a war worth fighting. But in a slavery free (and war free) context I don't really want to see it occur further here, or again elsewhere.

But like I said, maybe I'm just extremely biased because I live in DC. And, also like I said, I don't really want to debate it because .... well.... there's no easy consensus to arrive at when people simply disagree about ideological issues. Especially when, as in my case at least, I can admit that a good deal of it is exclusively based on principle and not on anything predominately practical (although the two aren't mutually exclusive, either). I just spent most of the first half of this summer in Europe and the open borders are, admittedly, quite convenient.

Anyways.... maybe I just don't "get it" though.

Maybe that partly explains the appeal of people like Trump even.... yelling about crazy DC insiders who don't take the rest of the country seriously. I don't like the guy at all but, to be fair, in many ways I sort of don't take individual states all that seriously except when they do incredibly absurd things that make news. .... like try to retell history or deny science in public school text books. Or pretend that they need to summon the national guard because US Army drills are really just a precursor to the invasion of Texas (No Joke, that was a thing. Recently, even.)

Sorry if this was all a bit stream-of-consciousness, it's a bit late here.

PS: As for border searches, I empathize. The TSA tossed my bags for 30 minutes trying to find what was setting of the detectors once, and eventually realized it was a super-cute parrot bottle opener I'd purchased. I was clearly going to hijack the plane with it ~.~, so the only possible course of action was to throw it out. ... at least I made my plane on time though. (Fun fact - after sitting in that very same plane for about an hour we got told there was a mechanical error, and we'd have to find another flight the next evening). Worst return from vacation, ever.

Last edited by Valeli (07-20-2016 11:39:02 PM)

#934 | Back to Top07-21-2016 11:25:17 AM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

As a US citizen who has spent my entire life in one state, (save for three semesters spent in California, but California is nuts and I will never identify with it) and furthermore, a state in which there is some discussion about secession, albeit probably not serious discussion, (see up-thread, also note that I wonder if said discussion will become more genuine if Trump is elected, and would not be surprised if it did) I identify as an American only out of guilt and self-flagelation.  Any pride I have for my place of origin is as a Washingtonian or Seattlite.

What's more, at least 90% of the time I come into contact or deal with "the government" it'll be state or city government, guided by state and city laws, over which the national government has about as much influence as the UN does over national laws.  I will concede sovereignty to the United States, but it is a concession.

Also, another strike against the Brexit as a necessary assertion of British nationhood: the EU isn't going to send armies to stop them, as the US did against the Confederacy, or would likely do against Cascadia, were we so resolute.  The EU might erode the power of nations, but it does not deny them the ability to reclaim those powers if they so choose, and is thus a voluntary association rather than an involuntary one the way the US is.  I suppose it is a positive outcome of the Brexit vote that it affirms this, but… at this point, it's been done, and any actual exit is superfluous to this purpose.

And lastly, while this may be a product of biased reporting, my impression of the vote was that Brexit passed because of:

a) a core of genuine xenophobia working to motivate voters

b) a sense of unreality, (perhaps the same sense of unreality that lead Trump to be a serious nominee for president) since many voters interviewed said they voted that way to make a statement, they didn't think it would pass and likely didn't really want it to

c) an uninformed voting population, as "what is Brexit" was a top Google search in Britain leading up to and shortly following the vote

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#935 | Back to Top07-21-2016 03:17:00 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

The last points you bring up are what we me out. Not just about brexit, but about most democratic politics in general. I have no idea how representative the clips of those "oh, lol, it actually passed. Guess I shouldn't have voted that way" people are.... But if it even represents like 4% of the voters, it's kind of frightening.

The same goes for people who have no idea what's what. It sort of perplexes me that the modern world generally thinks it's a virtue to let them participate in policy making.

That said, I'm not sure how one could ever bar people like that absent the use of various tools that would be inherently discriminatory as well.... I think the participation of these people is a serious problem though.

(As for xenophobia, it was definitely abused to get votes. And it's always a bit hard to disentangle from National identity stuff in the first place, but I don't belive the issues are inherently linked).

And thanks for talking about CA and you by the way. That's interesting. It really is quite possible my world view is entirely skewed due to living in this weird stateless city.i'm sort of surprised I never seriously thought about that sooner.

Sorry for any bad typos. On phone.

Last edited by Valeli (07-21-2016 03:25:02 PM)

#936 | Back to Top07-21-2016 04:20:49 PM

malna
Caretaker

Valeli wrote:

I just didn't reply because it's probably not the sort of argument that could or would go anywhere (in my opinion, at least). I mean, it's certainly debatable, but I'm ok with each of us just stating our preferences and moving on.

Oh, good. I hate arguing!

Valeli wrote:

The only reason I spoke up at all was because everyone else seems to think leaving the union was the worst thing ever, and I wasn't happy with it being portrayed as if that's 100% the case.

I get that. In fact, I often do the same when I find that my point of view is vastly underrepresented.
I've read your posts, tried my best to approach them with an open mind to get where you're coming from (quite literally). I should have probably stated right away that I didn't want to argue nor would I attempt to pull you over to my side. But I suppose just as you wanted for your perspective to be present here, I - quite irrationally - wanted you to learn about mine. At least in part, why it matters to me and that it's not all about money and practical facilities for many people who support integration.

For the record, my knowledge of the USA is very limited but from what I gather they are much different to the EU which is quite a casual conglomerate of - in all essentials - independent countries. I don't believe it aspires to draw resemblance to the USA. It has its own way as it is somewhat of a stretch to compare European countries to American states for a number of factual reasons. We build from very different bricks.
So the EU is still in the process of finding its inner form (exciting!). Some people want very close union but they're in minority. Some want it less influential. I myself would like to see more of a direct relation between the union and the citizen, preferably in form of common constitution and proportional voting for transnational parties. Well, I would actually welcome a few more changes but not so many, and nothing at all that would be heading into direction of the USE.

Valei wrote:

Sorry if this was all a bit stream-of-consciousness, it's a bit late here.

No, it was interesting. As I said before, I don't know much about the USA. Having read your posts and then Kita's I can see now that I underestimated the value of states' identity - I think here in Europe it is predominant thinking that the USA citizens consider themselves just Americans.
So thanks for sharing all this.

Kita-Ysabell wrote:

British nationhood

That's another matter. British are of course English, Welsh, Scots and Irish. I've yet to meet one who claim British nationality. I am sure that there are people like that but I haven't met them. Someone I've known online of English-Welsh origin told me that because of that mixed background, his EU identity was especially important to him. He hadn't once claimed British nationality as we spoke.
Now the situation is particularly unpleasant with Scotland and Northern Ireland which voted Remain.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CltuX5YWYAAvE1g.jpg:large

Kita-Ysabel wrote:

And lastly, while this may be a product of biased reporting, my impression of the vote was that Brexit passed because of:

It's not a product of biased reporting, these were the reasons that persuaded most Leave voters.
But I am sure there were some people who had been more thoughtful about it and still voted Leave.

"what is Brexit" was a top Google search in Britain leading up to and shortly following the vote

It was "what is the EU" and the search peaked right after the results had been announced. emot-smile
Some prognosticated then that something like "Trump's political positions" would turn out a top search after presidential elections in the USA.

Last edited by malna (07-21-2016 04:49:48 PM)

#937 | Back to Top07-21-2016 04:46:27 PM

malna
Caretaker

Oh, I just thought of one more thing. Possibly one and only good -in my eyes - aftermath of Brexit, which I think corresponds well with this:

many voters interviewed said they voted that way to make a statement, they didn't think it would pass and likely didn't really want it to

There was a very significant increase (10%-20%) of support for remaining in the EU in all the member countries. I suppose the reality of Brexit sobered people up.

#938 | Back to Top07-23-2016 03:08:18 PM

zevrem
Banned

I'm sorry if this seems "racist," but after reading up on household debt in different countries, I've noticed a pretty strong correlation between average household debt and the general level of arrogance/insanity in a given country.

#939 | Back to Top07-25-2016 06:43:50 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Out of morbid curiosity, what source did you use for "average level of insanity" by nation, and how was it quantified in the study?

#940 | Back to Top07-26-2016 12:04:09 PM

zevrem
Banned

Just my general impression of its culture. It's totally unscientific.

Breitbart just posted an article parroting a Huffington Post article criticizing the TPP. I think it's starting to be less an issue of "left" vs "right" and more an issue of grassroots v man in the high tower. Which is what it was always really about, when you think about it.

On Millenial political activism:

TL:DW Millenials as a general rule had emotionally deprived early childhoods, and this desire for a return to the womb has lead them to hugbox political agendas.

Last edited by zevrem (08-03-2016 12:10:34 PM)

#941 | Back to Top09-08-2016 10:21:06 AM

zevrem
Banned

I made an agreement with myself to avoid election politics until around October, but this is too good. Trump may be taking cues from Russia. He's heavily indebted to them, his campaign manager used to work for former Ukrainian president and current Putin pawn Viktor Yanukovytch and was illegally getting paid (a lot of) money from Yanukovytch's political party while working for Trump, and his proposed policies turn a blind eye towards Russia.

Last edited by zevrem (09-08-2016 10:49:58 AM)

#942 | Back to Top09-09-2016 07:01:05 AM

malna
Caretaker

...and in France, Marine Le Pen’s National Front has received a huge loan from Russia.
National parties' success in the western world translates directly to weakening alliances (the EU, NATO) and this is Putin's play. Divide and conquer. Easy-peasy.

Last edited by malna (09-09-2016 07:02:49 AM)

#943 | Back to Top09-10-2016 02:21:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

malna wrote:

...and in France, Marine Le Pen’s National Front has received a huge loan from Russia.
National parties' success in the western world translates directly to weakening alliances (the EU, NATO) and this is Putin's play. Divide and conquer. Easy-peasy.

I....what?

I know that isn't the most ah, savory political party, but is that really acceptable behavior anywhere in Europe at all? Or is this a 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' sort of thing?

I've kept my head out of politics the last little while (as well as just about everything else on planet earth) but doesn't this seem like giving free candy to the opposition? Maybe I'm cynical to this extreme but I feel like any party worth their salt would have done this without it being public record...

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#944 | Back to Top09-11-2016 02:30:39 AM

malna
Caretaker

I hear you. I found it all hard to believe at first too, and thought exactly the same thing - it's got to be political suicide for a party, at the same time strengthening the opposition. Apparently not.
It is a part of a broader strategy of Kremlin's.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world … 18236.html <- This very brief article estimates the scope of it:

The parties who have received Russian funding have not been revealed, but the list is thought to include a number of far-right organisations like Italy's Northern League, Hungary's Jobbik, Greece's Golden Dawn and France's Front National - which received a €9 million (£6.9 million) loan in November 2014 from the First Czech Russian Bank, which is believed to have ties to the Kremlin.

Also,

Since at least 2009 Russia has actively cultivated links with the far right in eastern Europe. It has established ties with Hungary’s Jobbik, Slovakia’s far-right People’s party and Bulgaria’s nationalist, anti-EU Attack movement. Here, political elites have become increasingly sympathetic to pro-Putin views.

According to Political Capital, a Budapest-based research institute which first observed this trend, the Kremlin has recently been wooing the far-right in western Europe as well. In a report in March it argued that Russian influence in the affairs of the far right is now a “phenomenon seen all over Europe�� . Moscow’s goal is to promote its economic and political interests – and in particular to ensure the EU remains heavily dependent on Russian gas.

source: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr … ational-eu

More than that, Garri Kasparow claims that Russian offensive in Syria was actually meant to strongly enlarge the wave of refugees seeking asylum in Europe, because that causes a lot of resistance from some part of society across the EU, and these angry people are much more likely to vote for far right-wing parties, increasing their ratings and influence on politics. Which is exactly how it has played out in many European countries already.

And now, for dessert! emot-biggrin Nigel Farage may soon host his own show on Kremlin-sponsored tv channel.
https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia- … rage-55284

edit: Stop me right there, I am beginning to think of Putin as Akio's less-fortunate-in-terms-of-presence brother. And Nigel Farage would be his less-fortunate-in-terms-of-presence Saionji bayard. It fits!

Last edited by malna (09-11-2016 02:56:05 AM)

#945 | Back to Top09-26-2016 03:07:27 AM

zevrem
Banned

The Russians have a history of working with agitators of all stripes.

#946 | Back to Top09-26-2016 03:16:04 AM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

zevrem wrote:

The Russians have a history of working with agitators of all stripes.

what would sex with Yuri Alexandrovich kun be like

#947 | Back to Top09-26-2016 02:00:29 PM

zevrem
Banned

What?

#948 | Back to Top09-26-2016 02:30:23 PM

Amasis
Juri Jeerer

zevrem wrote:

What

would sex with this Soviet defector be like, yes, that's the question.

#949 | Back to Top09-26-2016 04:01:09 PM

zevrem
Banned

Yeah, I know what you said, why the hell are you saying it?

#950 | Back to Top09-26-2016 07:13:47 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Redirecting my travel because North Korea is bugfuck insane. And, getting threat-happy again.

Amasis wrote:

what would sex with Yuri Alexandrovich kun be like

When he was alive, or now?

I suspect there's a difference.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

Board footer