This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top09-24-2011 01:21:01 AM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

(AMV) Vindicated [Utena/Anthy]

Vindicated

Anime: Revolutionary Girl Utena
Song: Vindicated by Dashboard Confessional
Theme: The redemptive power of Utena and Anthy's relationship.
Program: Sony Vegas Pro 9.0

#2 | Back to Top09-24-2011 03:15:55 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

Re: (AMV) Vindicated [Utena/Anthy]

Very nice! During the first half of it I felt like it was enjoyable, but nothing spectacular. Then towards the end of the second half you made use of some really great cutting and I felt genuinely touched by your portrayal of Anthy and Utena's bond. My only complaints are, first and foremost, the cut top and bottom. I'm guessing it was to remove subtitles, but it looks a bit odd and distracting. Second, and that might just be me, but some scenes felt like they were used because the animation was at it's most prettiest during those scenes, not because of what they contained. And you used the scene of Utena falling towards Anthy (used during the duels) more than once, which is sort of "taboo" to do in AMVs.

But despite those couple of things it was a really great AMV! etc-love I really enjoyed it, so much that I watched it again after first finishing it. Good job!

#3 | Back to Top09-24-2011 07:31:16 AM

Atomic Lightbulb
Miki Molester
Website

Louchan wrote:

Very nice! During the first half of it I felt like it was enjoyable, but nothing spectacular. Then towards the end of the second half you made use of some really great cutting and I felt genuinely touched by your portrayal of Anthy and Utena's bond. My only complaints are, first and foremost, the cut top and bottom. I'm guessing it was to remove subtitles, but it looks a bit odd and distracting. Second, and that might just be me, but some scenes felt like they were used because the animation was at it's most prettiest during those scenes, not because of what they contained. And you used the scene of Utena falling towards Anthy (used during the duels) more than once, which is sort of "taboo" to do in AMVs.

But despite those couple of things it was a really great AMV! etc-love I really enjoyed it, so much that I watched it again after first finishing it. Good job!

Wow, first off thank you for the long comment and detailed critic!

The cut top and bottom is a widescreen pan/crop. It's used so the video fills up the whole...slot? I guess that would be the best word. Naturally a series like Utena would leave two black bars on each side of the screen. Which is fine, but it can make effects lose their potency - especially transitions and fade-outs (black or white). It's definitely not an ideal solution (a lot of clips lose some subtleties and the spinning rose is always horrible looking) but it's the only way for your video to be full screen on youtube. It also does remove subtitles - but most of my clips are subless, anyway.

D: That makes really sad that you got that feeling from my video. Matching clips with lyrics are my favorite part of the editing process and I would never just stick a clip somewhere. I suppose I'll just have to be anymore conscious next time. ;D

-facepalm- I cannot believe I did. I hate repeated clips, and if I could go back and edit it out, I would.

Thank you again for your in-depth comment. emot-smile

#4 | Back to Top09-24-2011 08:17:28 AM

Louchan
Rose Bride

You're welcome. etc-love

Oh, but to add one thing, I regret what I said about it seeming like you added scenes because they looked good. After I watched the AMV again after posting that, I listened a bit closer to the lyrics and realized that they did match very well after all. So yeah, I'm taking that back.

#5 | Back to Top09-27-2011 09:54:44 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Hey, that's awesome. emot-biggrin I really like your timing, and I thought you picked a good song and showcased Utena/Anthy off with a nice pace. Thanks!

Board footer