This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top11-10-2006 04:05:47 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: Pet Peeves In Utena Fanfiction

Perhaps. That's all in your interpretation of her character. But she's definitely not a Saionjisexual. It just... doesn't... work.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#27 | Back to Top11-11-2006 07:55:35 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

The bisexual thing is easy for me to grasp, but a fluffy romance with Saionji? No tension? No conflict? I am dead.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#28 | Back to Top11-11-2006 08:05:31 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

My biggest pet peeve with Utena fanfiction is being forced to read it. emot-rolleyes There was a cute one I accidently stumbled upon the other month about Anthy and Utena becoming real-real people (with real colors of hair and real eyes and all that) the further they got from Ohtori (while Anthy was looking for Utena and all that) and I liked it a lot, but besides that...ehhh...

Sailor Moon fanfiction (for example) I am totally cool with, because there's a lot of room in that series for fucking around with things. But the Utena universe is so compact and thorough and clean...and the way it ends, it is like an impenetrable box and everything is glassed in really nicely...and it feels so perfect to me and I have so much respect for it that I have difficulty reading and swallowing other people's further interpretations of the the series.

JurixSaionji, however...is...uhh...wow. emot-gonk

#29 | Back to Top11-11-2006 10:41:03 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

D: About that bisexuality. I always assumed Juri could've potentially fallen for Ruka if she wasn't already neck-deep in Shiori, but that's not how things played out.

I remember there being a dialogue in one of the later episodes where Juri offhandedly implied that if Miki and Nanami could just change the one they loved to someone who loved them back (possibly eachother) they'd be happy.

I always assumed that's where the Juri/Saionji crap came from. They're the first two characters to really fly off the handle over the ones they loved, and Juri wasn't half as bad.

I don't read these fics emot-gonk but I can't picture it any way but angersex.

Last edited by Hinotori (11-11-2006 10:42:17 PM)

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#30 | Back to Top11-11-2006 11:24:57 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I suppose the reason why people can see it working out is because they're both very bitter characters. However, it's not as though they can both get together and talk about why they hate the world. That's more depressing than romantic...

#31 | Back to Top11-12-2006 01:29:56 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I could see them becoming friends post-series after doing a lot of bitching about lost love over sushi and sake. And possibly bitter, angry sex that comes of being drunk. But I can't see them falling in love and coming to a Deep Understanding.

#32 | Back to Top11-16-2006 07:22:30 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I love post-series fics, but Anthy handled improperly is my worst nightmare whilst reading. I'm talking about when she is written as a doe-eyed, happily innocent girl who has no traces of her Ohtori scars. I like to imagine Anthy happy with Utena too, but when we see into her thoughts and it is full of plain, uncomplicated love and eagerness - when Anthy's too simplified.

I could never finish reading the Juri/Saionji parings either, which is strange as I do love odd couples. I agree with the majority here, once we were allowed to peek into Juri & Saiongi's brains - it wasn't believable. Then, I guess the answer to the pet peeve would be, when an author portrays a character's thoughts in an unconvincing manner.

Last edited by Frosty (11-16-2006 07:25:05 PM)

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#33 | Back to Top11-16-2006 09:34:35 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Giovanna wrote:

This Saionji/Juri thing confuses me. So they're both hardasses...that makes them a couple? emot-confused Also Saionji doesn't have a vagina? emot-confused emot-confused emot-confused

Unless he's been hiding it somewhere! Like... under his bed. Or in his shirt pocket. Or buried in his hair. THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW. But it'd be the only way Juri'd do him. So by fanfiction logic, it must be hiding somewhere. Come out, come out, wherever you are.

(It is late and I am in a snarky mood. Can you tell? school-devil)

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#34 | Back to Top11-16-2006 10:12:39 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Frosty wrote:

I love post-series fics, but Anthy handled improperly is my worst nightmare whilst reading. I'm talking about when she is written as a doe-eyed, happily innocent girl who has no traces of her Ohtori scars. I like to imagine Anthy happy with Utena too, but when we see into her thoughts and it is full of plain, uncomplicated love and eagerness - when Anthy's too simplified.

THANK YOU. etc-love I love post-series Anthy and the big positive change in her because of Utena, and her being more honest and free, but that doesn't mean I want to see her all 100% happy and un-scarred. That's a.... massive change from what she was, and very unrealistic.

#35 | Back to Top11-17-2006 01:30:01 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I think Alan Harnum's Jaquemart does a damn good post-series Anthy. Of course, Harnum does a lot of things well. The only thing I have against him is that he has too much of a life to write fanfic now.

And Morelei, I absolutely could not tell that you were feeling snarky. Nope. Nuh-uh. But if he's hiding one somewhere, that would explain his love of long thin objects like shinai, wouldn't it?

#36 | Back to Top11-17-2006 02:03:10 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I think Alan Harnum's Jaquemart does a damn good post-series Anthy. Of course, Harnum does a lot of things well. The only thing I have against him is that he has too much of a life to write fanfic now.

Alan Harnum is the God of Fanfiction. The uncrowned king of all writers who write of characters they haven't created. If there was justice on this Earth, Jaquemart would be the offical novel sequel to Utena and Harnum would be payed a share for every volume sold. Seriously, if he doesn't write for his living, he should. He's better than many professional writers I've read.

I feel like I should weep every time I re-read Jaquemart and it still doesn't have an ending, and propably never will...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#37 | Back to Top11-18-2006 01:16:23 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Jaquemart's the only fanfic I can think of off the top of my head that has so much fanart of it. It's really something special.

And Sovreignty-Associationist Girl Nanami made me laugh so much. He didn't even have to exaggerate all that much.

#38 | Back to Top11-18-2006 01:50:28 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

I must admit to feeling fairly irritated by AnthyxJuri fanfics... not to say there are many of them, but by and large they are done quite unrealistically.

As for SaionjixJuri... whoa, scary. I just cannot see that at all - I try to, but then I just see Juri skewering Saionji on a sword.

Yeah, and like so many before, Mary-Sue fics bug me. However, I must admit to bouncing the idea around in my head for a while of a fic set in the future, but where Akio's found a stand-in for Anthy as Rose Bride... I was reading a book on gender politics at the time, which probably gave me the idea in the first place, as I was considering how much of an impact on the series the genders of our two leading ladies had - so I was gonna replace them with two males, set it far in the future, and then just sort of see how it played out. Granted, the whole thing was probably more for my entertainment than anything else, but one must admit the series would be quite a bit different had Utena and Anthy been males.

And completely off-topic, but I did once read an excellent crossover with Gundam Wing where all the GW characters took on roles in the Utena universe - it was really well done, suprisingly, although it seems the author has abandoned the idea.

Oh, and Utena crossovers with Dragonball Z are supremely irritating...

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#39 | Back to Top11-18-2006 12:15:37 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

I find it irritating to no end when the characters themselves think and speak in fan terminology.

For example, it's not unusual for fans to refer to that famous red convertible as "the Akio Car". No problem. Big problem when the characters call it that, or even when it's in third person narration in a fic. It makes absolutely no sense to me for such a fan-created term to appear within the world of the story.

It's one of those things that will make me stop reading a fic, regardless of how much I liked it up to that point.

Laurie

#40 | Back to Top11-18-2006 12:46:48 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I have no problem with afew mismatched pairings, but only when they have something deeper. I can read Utena/Anthy just for fluff, but not Juri/Saionji just for fluff. I really do hate Juri/Saionji because it ruins both characters. It just isn't natural for either. Give me a really well written and thought out Juri/Saionji, and maybe I won't skip over it.

I once wrote Mikage/Nanami just for the hell of it. I got some pissy messages about it. I thought it would be fun

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited by dollface (03-25-2008 12:26:43 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#41 | Back to Top11-18-2006 01:30:21 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Where the hell all these wierd pairing fanfics are stored in? I've never seen a single one, dammit!

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#42 | Back to Top11-18-2006 03:57:30 PM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

Most of my weird parings come from the Pre-NC17 days of FF.net. I haven't read much fanfiction since then, unfortunately.

Most sites without any major content filtering lend themselves to the odder aspects of fandom. Riddle  me this: Where on the internet are you most likely to find Violet Beuregarde(of Willy Wonka gum fame) hentai?

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#43 | Back to Top11-18-2006 09:22:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Suncat wrote:

I find it irritating to no end when the characters themselves think and speak in fan terminology.

Oh god THIS. And it happens to Akio a whole lot. I read a fic once where Akio referred to the car as 'the Akio Car'! emot-confused emot-confused emot-gonk I've seen 'the Illusion Machine' a lot too, which is funny, because the term was originally not supposed to specifically be for the projector...more just an ambiguous term for the power Akio has.

Also, frankly, I've never been one for fluff and mushfics. Give me my PWPs. (SERIOUSLY, doesn't anyone write them anymore? emot-gonk)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#44 | Back to Top11-18-2006 11:56:24 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Fluff is PWP for fans under the age of consent.

And Hinotori, that made me want to gouge out my eyes without even having seen it.

#45 | Back to Top11-19-2006 02:43:31 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Hinotori wrote:

Most sites without any major content filtering lend themselves to the odder aspects of fandom. Riddle  me this: Where on the internet are you most likely to find Violet Beuregarde(of Willy Wonka gum fame) hentai?

I'm not sure if I want to know, but tell me, so I can check out, myself.emot-rolleyes

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#46 | Back to Top11-19-2006 10:59:33 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

I read a fanfic where post-revolution Touga is living with Saionji in a ghetto American neighborhood (don't know where), and he refers to his car as 'The Akio Car.'

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#47 | Back to Top11-19-2006 11:34:36 AM

Nariel
Miki Molester

Nessy wrote:

My biggest pet peeve with Utena fanfiction is being forced to read it. emot-rolleyes There was a cute one I accidently stumbled upon the other month about Anthy and Utena becoming real-real people (with real colors of hair and real eyes and all that) the further they got from Ohtori (while Anthy was looking for Utena and all that) and I liked it a lot, but besides that...ehhh...

You mind providing a link, this fic sounds quite good!

The ruler of the universe has spoken.

#48 | Back to Top11-19-2006 12:35:10 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Ivy-chan wrote:

I read a fanfic where post-revolution Touga is living with Saionji in a ghetto American neighborhood (don't know where), and he refers to his car as 'The Akio Car.'

"Detroit Kiwi"

Last edited by dollface (03-25-2008 12:27:04 PM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#49 | Back to Top11-20-2006 01:08:11 AM

jmie5
Precious One

Lightice wrote:

Hinotori wrote:

I'm not sure if I want to know, but tell me, so I can check out, myself.emot-rolleyes

... Adultfanfiction.net?  emot-confused
I wouldn't have the slightest clue, but it sounds funny, so I'd like to know, too.

#50 | Back to Top11-20-2006 06:51:22 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Ivy-chan wrote:

I...what...emot-confused

Maybe I need to put the psyduck emoticon here. Aside from the obvious, what in god's name lands those two in a ghetto American neighborhood. Upper East Side, yes. Harlem, no.

Any fic where Akio, Touga, or Saionji end up in America demands they live in NYC. So I have proclaimed. Get writing.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer