This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-23-2007 11:04:43 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Re: ~ I Wonder, I Wonder! ~

If you could have one superpower, what power would you choose?

I'd choose the power to be better than everyone. Don't tell me that isn't a power, it is. To be the best at everything, that's what I want.

What qualities do you look for in your friends?

Loyalty is the most important thing for a friend to have. If you can't trust someone then they can't be your friend, can they? Anyone who would betray their friend is just... the lowest scum.

Do you think it's wrong to cheat on a test if there's no curve?  Why or why not?

Curve? What are you talking about? Cheating is just another way of being prepared. It doesn't matter how you get to where you are, what matters is that you get there.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#52 | Back to Top11-24-2007 06:04:34 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Any more?  Five is enough for a good game, so we'll close in a day or so if there are no more entries.

#53 | Back to Top11-25-2007 06:55:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Okay, good enough!  emot-smile  Our five entrants this time around are Jellineck, Stormcrow, BioKraze, Adrasteia, and Ragnarok.  Please send me your guesses!  Spectators, of course, are welcome to guess as well!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-25-2007 07:01:14 PM)

#54 | Back to Top11-25-2007 10:30:37 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All the guesses are in already!  That was fast.  Here's how things shook out.

Jellineck's entry was tricky, but it contained one clear hook: "my two best friends."  All the entrants picked up on that, which led to two wrong guesses of Keiko and one of Yuuko.  But BioKraze and Ragnarok dug a little deeper, and came up with the correct answer: C-ko.  I wonder, I wonder, I wonder how they knew!

Stormcrow reeked of inferiority complex in his responses.  That narrowed it down to just a few characters.  I heard Saionji and Tsuwabuki, both good guesses; but the right answer, as BioKraze, Ragnarok, and spectator NajiMinkin divined, was Shiori.

When BioKraze lodged his entry, I was sure I knew who he was: Miki, or possibly Tsuwabuki.  You all agreed; three of you guessed Miki, one guessed Tsuwabuki, and one guessed Utena.  All wrong.  Bio was portraying Mari.  Yes, Tsuwabuki's little friend, the one who slaps him when he tries to kiss her.  You've gotta give Bio credit for guts here, even though he went unguessed.

Adrasteia gave a fascinating answer to the superpowers question -- "I'd like to be a princess" -- that led to a variety of guesses.  I got three Wakabas and an Anthy.  But to me the dead giveaway was the answer to the cheating question, the sort of mixture of hesitance and aggression, innocence and cruelty.  Adrasteia was Shiori, as fellow Shiori-player Stormcrow correctly guessed.

Finally, we come to Ragnarok, whose spot-on impression of his chosen character went unguessed.  The word "scum" was the tipoff here, and accounts for the four guesses of Saionji that Ragnarok received.  (He was also accused by one guesser of being Touga.)  But Ragnarok was portraying Nanami.  Read his answer to the friends question again and you'll smack yourself for missing it.

That makes the score:

Stormcrow (Shiori): 4 - guessed Adrasteia; guessed by Bio, Ragnarok, and Naji
BioKraze (Mari): 2 - guessed Jellineck and Stormcrow
Jellineck (C-ko): 2 - guessed by Bio and Ragnarok
Ragnarok (Nanami): 2 - guessed Jellineck and Stormcrow
Adrasteia (Shiori): 1 - guessed by Stormcrow
NajiMinkin (spectator): 1 - guessed Stormcrow

Congratulations to our winner, Stormcrow!  An honorable mention to Adrasteia, whose Shiori impression I thought was nuanced and believable.  Kudos too to Bio.  Mari?  Geez.

Thanks for playing what turned out to be an all-girls edition of I Wonder, I Wonder!  We'll play again -- soon!

#55 | Back to Top11-25-2007 10:46:33 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Cripes, I knew I should have said 'vermin' (or troublesome insects!) but that'd be cheating. emot-biggrin

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#56 | Back to Top11-25-2007 10:52:18 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Using "troublesome insects" while playing Nanami would definitely be over the top emot-biggrin  Thanks for using your judgment!

#57 | Back to Top11-25-2007 11:04:09 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Yeah, I definitely should have guessed Nanami for Ragnarok, but somehow...I forgot about her. Saionji did occur to me, but it was hard for me to imagine him being so Machiavellian. Nanami does indeed seem obvious now though. Also, I did consider C-Ko for Jellineck...I'm not quite sure what tipped me toward Keiko instead...Mari never entered into my head, somehow she made very little impression on me from the show, so I don't think of her often. Great entries everybody, the ones that I didn't get right (which is almost everybody), I feel like I should have.

I can't wait for the next round!

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#58 | Back to Top11-26-2007 01:55:37 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I had to play as an obscure character, just to see if I could do it. I mean, Mrs. Ohtori gets less time onscreen than Mari, right? And it's SKU, of course. All the characters have depth. Besides all of which, I still haven't seen past episode 7, and so only had scant notes to go on.

Truly, this was the ultimate test of my roleplaying abilities... emot-dance I kinda feel honoured that even satyr didn't guess me!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#59 | Back to Top11-26-2007 08:39:38 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

Gah I'm terrible at guessing! emot-rofl This is extremely fun, I hope you start another, Satyreyes!

Congratulations on winning, Stormcrow. You have a very good sense of Shiori.

#60 | Back to Top01-19-2008 08:31:34 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Back by popular demand!  Round Five of I Wonder, I Wonder!, commence!

In case you've forgotten, here are the rules.  Below are three interview questions.  Pick a character from Utena and PM me to tell me who you've chosen.  Then post your character's answers to the three interview questions to the thread, without stating outright who you are or including dead giveaways like your hair color.  When we have enough entries, I'll close the contest and you'll send me your guesses about which posters are RPing which characters.  You get one point for each person you guess correctly, and one point for each person who guesses you correctly.

Without further ado, here are the interview questions!

What is your worst habit?  (Not one that we see on-screen, please -- that would be a dead giveaway!)

Are you following the election in America?  If not, why not?  If so, which candidate are you rooting for and why?

What is your opinion of bottled water?

#61 | Back to Top01-20-2008 11:32:21 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

What is your worst habit?
You might say I'm a glutton, but not for punishment.

Are you following the election in America? If not, why not? If so, which candidate are you rooting for and why?
Such things don't fall under my realm of concerns and responsibilities. If you knew my idol Charles and his general theory on politics, you'd know exactly why this is one of the few things I keep my nose firmly away from.

Good stuff when I can get it. Normally I go for tap water, as it's generally free to the public. I only drink bottled water when there's a goodly surplus of it lying around.

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#62 | Back to Top01-24-2008 12:40:09 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Still taking guesses from the audience?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#63 | Back to Top01-24-2008 10:15:25 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Of course, but only after the round is closed emot-smile  Right now we only have one entry!  We can do better than that, right?

#64 | Back to Top01-24-2008 12:48:02 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I tend to fall to extremes, although it may not first appear so. My emotions grow very quickly from detachment to rage, interest to apathy.

Are you following the election in America? If not, why not? If so, which candidate are you rooting for and why?
It's generally none of my business, but I encourage political thought as a means of succeeding in this world. Having an inherent grasp of intrigue is not always admirable, but is often wise and quite necessary. This is world in which people have to be efficient and often cruel in order to achieve the best product for all.

It's functional.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#65 | Back to Top01-27-2008 07:30:01 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BUMP!

To speed things along, here's my own entry.  Naturally, I won't be eligible to win, but guessing me right is another way for y'all to get points.

That's a bit of a personal question to lead off with, isn't it?  Well, sometimes, when I'm absolutely positive no one can hear me, I lock the door and... yell what I really think of the people who frustrate me.  emot-redface  I always feel so guilty about it afterwards, though.  I need to stop.

Are you following the election in America?  If not, why not?  If so, which candidate are you rooting for and why?
Rudy Giuliani, absolutely.  I think he's the most responsible candidate when it comes to terrorism, which is a dire threat to the order that civilization depends on.  The Islamists don't seem to be interested in Japan, but when America is terrorized the whole world suffers, whether we like it or not.

I think with bottled water, you're paying for the brand as much as the liquid.  Certain brands have more cachet.  I have a friend who's honestly a bit of a snob about only drinking Evian.  I don't really want to get caught up in the brand warfare, so I mostly don't drink it.

#66 | Back to Top01-28-2008 11:41:32 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

What is your worst habit?  (Not one that we see on-screen, please -- that would be a dead giveaway!)
I smoke. I know it's not right or healthy, but once in a while I light up. It's more a stress-relief thing than anything else, though others may guess different. It's not to rebel.

I watch it out of a vague curiousity. There are interesting things going on for both parties, but I could really care less about the politics. It's about the people who are getting involved for me.

It's water. Water itself is most like a person, in its perfect state, it is the purest of substances and life giving. However, there is no such thing as perfect water, it is polluted and corrupted in varying degrees and corrupted, which can hurt you.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#67 | Back to Top02-06-2008 01:03:27 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tch, I don't have any bad habits, just plenty you'd think were so.

They're all the same to me. I think my parents follow all that stuff pretty closely, but I've never cared any about it, I have my own life to lead and it doesn't really involve foreign press bait.

An absolute necessity during a busy night or an intense workout session. Even more so if they're the same thing at the time. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#68 | Back to Top02-07-2008 10:43:31 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

All right, everyone, let's close up this very long round!  We had five entries this time: BioKraze, Jellineck, me, Anthiena, and Giovanna.  Please send me your guesses about each other's identities!  (Anthiena, I already have yours.)

#69 | Back to Top02-08-2008 11:23:57 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Whee! Let's see how many of us have our guesses right! I wonder, I wonder!

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#70 | Back to Top02-11-2008 12:30:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Sorry this is taking a while!  Jelli hasn't been online in a few days; I'm just waiting on her guesses.  If I don't have them in the next day or two, we'll close up!

#71 | Back to Top02-12-2008 11:07:26 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

We... er... we have a situation.  emot-redface  All the answers are in.  Let's take a look!

BioKraze's bizarre answers didn't sound quite like anything we've heard any Utena character say.  The intellectual tone led three entrants to pick Miki, and the non sequitur answers led one contestant to a guess of C-ko.  Nice tries!  But as spectator Ragnarok picked up, the only character whose head those thoughts belong in was Chu Chu.  Last time Bio picked Mari.  Next, I imagine, will be the kangaroo.

Jellineck's entry was less about her answers than her tone.  Two saw Touga and one Saionji in her entry, picking up perhaps on "people have to be efficient and often cruel to achieve the best product for all."  The key, though, was the analytical detachment and focus on utility that her answers presented.  Giovanna and spectator NajiMinkin both broke the code: Jelli was Mikage.

My own entry -- which isn't eligible to win, just there as a way for y'all to score extra points, which turned out to be ironic, as we'll see in a minute -- tried to hit a note of innocence not totally undarkened by worldliness.  In spite of two guesses of Keiko, I must've done a pretty good job; Bio, Gio, Naji, and Ragnarok all divined that I was Miki.

Anthiena's answers painted an interesting picture.  Which character would smoke, is more interested in people than in events, and can wax poetic (and vaguely depressing) about bottled water?  One entrant said Mikage and one Anthy, both fascinating answers; you can totally see either of them with a cigarette between their lips.  But Bio, Naji, and Ragnarok all scored the intended answer, Juri.  Nice RP!

Lastly, Gio was enigmatic in her responses!  She did let a couple facts slip, though: she has parents more worldly than she is, she's independent, and she is perhaps a little egotistical.  Three guesses of Touga fit the facts, but weren't the intended answer; one guess of Wakaba tried to take things in a different direction.  The right answer, coming from Jellineck, was also the best: Gio was Kozue.

That makes the score:

BioKraze (Chu Chu): 3 - guessed me and Anthiena; guessed by Ragnarok
Jellineck (Mikage): 3 - guessed Gio; guessed by Gio and Naji
Anthiena (Juri): 3 - guessed by Bio, Naji, and Ragnarok
Gio (Kozue): 3 - guessed Jelli and me; guessed by Jelli

satyreyes (Miki/mod): 4 - guessed by Bio, Gio, Naji, and Ragnarok
NajiMinkin (spectator): 3 - guessed Jelli, Anthiena, and me
Ragnarok (spectator): 3 - guessed Bio, Anthiena, and me

So in summary, every single person who entered, both player and spectator, got a score of exactly three, with the sole exception of the one person who isn't eligible to win.  emot-rofl  So here is our improvised tiebreaker.  It's open to all six contestants.

I want to hear Anthy's best answer to the question "Are you a virgin?  Why or why not?"

You have three days to post an answer to the thread.  At the end of that time, we'll take a vote, and whoever gets the most votes will win the game.  If there's a further tie, whoever posted first will win.

Good luck!

#72 | Back to Top02-12-2008 01:09:09 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Are you a virgin? Why or why not?

"What an interesting question. But virginity isn't always what you think it is. Some people are virgins no matter what they do. Some are not by the same definition."

#73 | Back to Top02-12-2008 08:41:02 PM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I'm just going to go for the simplest route possible.

Anthy gives a blank, sweet, and fully enigmatic smile.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#74 | Back to Top02-13-2008 01:14:35 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Would you like me to be a virgin? emot-keke

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#75 | Back to Top02-13-2008 08:04:16 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

"It grows back."