This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-02-2007 11:25:59 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Re: "The Character" vs. "The Person"

Nanami seems pretty popular in this thread. I like her because she's the only character who really changes throughout the series. Everyone else stays fundamentally the same. I wouldn't want to meet her toward the beginning of the series certainly, because then she'd be just another annoying socialite. As she is at the end, I think we'd be able to take each other in small doses but we'd never be friends.

I like Ruka because he reminds me of myself (except more athletic and thus more popular) and for that reason I don't think we'd get along.

Juri and I would probably get on reasonably well though I don't think we'd ever be close. Same goes for Shiori actually.

Kozue and I would probably have sex but not talk. Or talk but not have sex, though somehow that seems less likely.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#27 | Back to Top09-02-2007 11:43:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Nanami seems pretty popular in this thread. I like her because she's the only character who really changes throughout the series.

O NO U DI'INT!

Nanami's not the only character who changes, or even the character who changes most visibly; I think the latter honor has to go to Anthy.  Nanami's transformation is sort of a subtle one, from unhealthily self-obsessed to healthily self-centered, from insensitive brat to typical teenager.  Anthy's change is much more dramatic; in fact, it drives the plot of the show.

I also believe that Touga changes meaningfully during the series -- probably as much as his sister, and in a broadly similar way.  Juri grows up a little, but I guess I'd agree that her change isn't "fundamental."

Of course, neither of our male leads change at all: Akio is the embodiment of stagnation, and nothing really impacts Utena.  She's just not the kind of hero who changes, while Anthy is the kind of hero who does.  In four years we're going to have

ANTHY: Hey Utena, I was thinking the other day.
UTENA: Oh no, is this going to be one of these conversations?
ANTHY: Remember when you saved me from those million swords of hatred?
UTENA: Um... you're not talking about a week ago when I threw that jock out of that bar, are you?
ANTHY: No, I mean when... my brother...
UTENA: OH RIGHT!  You have a brother!  He was a hunk, Anthy!  What happened to him, anyway?
ANTHY: ...I love you, Utena.
UTENA: I love you too.

#28 | Back to Top09-03-2007 12:30:24 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

If I was able to get my hands on one of those rings and defeat Utena and gain the Rose Bride, I wouldn't try to get her to become a normal person, I would use that passive aggressive personality and her special magic to cause all sorts of wackiness. emot-danceschool-eng101school-freud

There would be elephant stampedes, people laying eggs and turning into animals, there will be loads of random body swapping and of cause in the duel, no silly Sword of Dios for me, I will be wearing a hockey mask and weilding the Chainsaw of Dios...*evil grin* school-chefschool-devil

#29 | Back to Top09-03-2007 12:37:34 AM

Archambeau
Muffy, the Forums Trophy Wife

satyreyes wrote:

Of course, neither of our male leads change at all.

I disagree; I think Saionji changed substantially.  By the end of the series, he seems to have finally gotten comfortable in his own skin, content with his own strengths rather than himself thrown up against the standard of "anyone else."  Part of what endears me to him.

I will concur that Anthy undergoes the most dramatic change to the viewer, though I'm of the belief that that personality was always innate, just never acted upon.  By contrast, it seems the rest of the cast had to actually grow up to broaden their perspectives and alter their personalities.

Unfortunately, I also agree that Utena came out of the whole event virtually constant.  Perhaps that's the true sign of an unblemished prince, though.

#30 | Back to Top09-03-2007 12:43:16 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Archambeau wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Of course, neither of our male leads change at all.

I disagree; I think Saionji changed substantially.

Saionji's a supporting character; I was talking about Akio and Utena.  emot-biggrin  I agree that Saionji changes to become more comfortable with himself and his surroundings, able to "want what he has" and stop living so much in the past.  I also agree that Anthy's personality didn't change so much as it manifested; Stormcrow's favorite quote, "become who you are," would seem to apply.

#31 | Back to Top09-03-2007 12:49:31 AM

Archambeau

Ah, my mistake then.  I didn't realize you were being glib with "male leads."

You have to wonder, then, if more power lay in becoming the true "self" than in what the duelists wanted to become to gain the power to revolutionize the world.  It could very well be that Utena's genuine character was what made her victory (to a point) so effortless; whereas the other characters seemed to be fighting so hard against themselves, Utena seemed, more or less, to fight for herself.

-----

Back on topic, though, I actually do think I would enjoy being around Wakaba, though her bubbliness would wear me out fairly quickly.  She'd certainly be the best sort of friend to have around when you needed pleasant distraction.  As a character, I do enjoy her for being -- aside from her spell in the BR arc -- a very nice taste of functionally not-quite-normal.  She's far from dull, but isn't defined by her hangups, like the rest of the cast.  I'm quite confident that she'll really shine post-series.  And lo, we're back at "becoming what you are."

#32 | Back to Top09-03-2007 01:09:40 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Archambeau wrote:

Unfortunately, I also agree that Utena came out of the whole event virtually constant.  Perhaps that's the true sign of an unblemished prince, though.

I'd agree with that, from the example of Dios; he changed -- albeit under duress -- and ended up as Akio. I'd guess this is an example of the need for the prince to be "innocent" in order to be "noble," but this depends upon a very varied definition of both words. emot-keke

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#33 | Back to Top09-03-2007 01:11:55 AM

Archambeau

Well said.

#34 | Back to Top09-03-2007 05:33:12 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Archambeau wrote:

That depends on how you take episode 12, and whether you believe Utena when she said she was acting out of her own need to be a Prince and not really thinking of Anthy at all. I believe she did change, just in a much more subtle way-- her motivation for doing the same thing changed. She was doing the right thing for the wrong reasons before (protecting Anthy because she wanted to be Princely) and near the end, she's doing the right thing for the right reasons (protecting Anthy because Anthy is worth protecting). It doesn't seem like much on the surface, but I do still think it's a change.

But.... off topic. emot-frown

Back on topic, I'm having a bit of trouble with this one because I tend to react to the characters as people and not characters pretty much all the time. For instance, Shiori. I dislike her purely based on the fact that she'd annoy the hell out of me in real life. I see a lot of her 'innocently cruel' behavior as just lack of foresight or thoughtlessness, and I dislike these qualities in people in real life, so I dislike her. Same with Miki; I feel very neutral toward him because while he is cute, the blushing virgin business would irritate me after a while. I don't tend to treat them like characters because to me, they're far too believable as people.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#35 | Back to Top09-23-2007 02:52:04 PM

Erebus
Wakaba Wrangler

Considering him only as a character, I gotta admit that Akio is my favorite. Despite my disagreement with the morality of his actions, I cannot deny the fact that he does understand the psyche of those around him. He is aware of the issue they are dealing with and knows the way to take advantage from it (openly or not). Akio might be wrong in his perspective of things but he does get what the problem is in each case. He is such a good mind-reader that he can present himself to others the way that best fits his purposes. Besides, he has sense of humor. He could make anyone's perfect date, if his will. As a person, I don't think I could befriend him. I could never put any trust on him.

One I would like to befriend, however, is Anthy. emot-confused I know she is not only as manipulative as Akio is but also a passive-agressive one and that together should have been enough to make me stay away even more than Akio's personality did. The thing is, I tend to like people who seems to be misterious. She has the appearence and the attitudes that easily gets my attention. For sure, one I'd have a crush with, it would be Jury. The other one would be Saionji, though I would never let him know it. He is too damn careless with his fans.

Yet nothing can to nothing fall, nor any place be empty quite ;
Therefore I think my breast hath all those pieces still, though they be not unite ;
And now, as broken glasses show a hundred lesser faces, so
my rags of heart can like, wish, and adore, but after one such love, can love no more.

#36 | Back to Top09-25-2007 11:47:06 AM

Jellineck
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

I agree with most of the statements on Anthy - she would be a hard character to get to know, but as we see in the series, she is also a person who naturally draws people to be fascinated with her. It would be very difficult to establish a friendship with her, though, as we have seen that she is not exactly invested in many emotional relationships. I would probably be one of the masses following her around, trying to find the cause of her mystique.

I disagree with the Nanami statement and agree that Anthy is by far the one with the greatest change. It amazes me people don't feel more pity for her - yes, she's creepy and can be very cruel, but you try suffering torture for a while and see how you turn out. Not necessarily an excuse for her actions, but hey, if I ever learned her secrets I would try to be compassionate (then she'd probably stab me, ah well).

As for the males of Ohtori, I unfortunately would automatically think that every last one of them was flamboyantly flaming gay. Superficial? Yes. But if I saw a ridiculously tall man with purple hair tied back with a sea green bobble with pierced ears and expensive clothing, sipping from a little champagne glass and driving a really nice car - I'd be pretty damn shocked if I saw him flirting with women.

Other characters? I'd probably get along pretty well with Kozue. I'm attracted to the wilder personality types and I'd be fun being an accomplice to her juvenile delinquency as she matured. That said, I would try to accomplish the difficult feat BY NOT HAVING SEX WITH ANYONE AT ALL. I don't care if I'd have to wear a chastity belt, I wouldn't do it. I think I'd be more like Ruka by flirting with no promise of ever seeing it through. Now this would especially be hard if I wanted to associate with Kozue, but hey, nothing is impossible.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#37 | Back to Top09-25-2007 05:09:25 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Let me see...I do enjoy pretty much the whole cast as characters. As for people:

*Utena:
I would have mixed feelings about her. I am sure that I would admire her gender defiance and her drive to do good and overall niceness but I know I would be too annoyed by her simplistic take on virtually all matters.

*Miki:
I would get along just fine with him, assuming he was not too freaked out by me, that is. Since I am shy and quite brainy I am sure we could be friends. Plus I indulge in classical singing, it would be great having him as a personal pianist.

*Touga:
I would hate his guts with a passion. As a character he does not peeve me much but as a person I would be at his throat or I would just ignore him and walk away.

*Saionji:
I would probably hate him as much as I would Touga. In fact, since I would probably not at all get to see his real motivations I would simply assume he was "Touga take two" and leave it at that.

*Juri:
Again I would have mixed feelings toward her. I am sure that I would feel pure admiration for her strength of character but her over-assertive mask would probably keep me away.

*Anthy:
I would get along with her. I would see her a very mysterious person and would be curious to see what lies beneath her apathy.

*Nanami:
I would completely abhor her as a person. If I got to know her, which would be unlikely as she would probably dislike me, I would end up pitying her.

*Ruka:
I cannot quite say. I suspect that his cocky-self would annoy me but I can imagine myself teaming up with him if need be.

*Kozue:
Oddly enough I think I would get along with her. Her vicious wildness and devil-may-care attitude reminds me of myself.

*Shiori:
I would find her dull. Of course if I got to truly know her I might end up sympathizing with her plight but otherwise I would simply find her too plain. I would get along with her but I cannot envision a deep friendship.

*Wakaba:
She would annoy me. Her overly energetic flights of fancy would tire me in no time.

*Nemuro/Mikage:
Being my favourite SKU character he is also my favourite as a person, mass murder and all. I would feel unbounded admiration for his mind and, I must admit, I would also find him extremely attractive. I am as vain as the next girl, mine is mostly an intellectual vanity, if Mikage were to be bother to be share his thoughts with me and were to allow me to bask in his company it would be something of an ego trip for me. Of course he is quite insane but I love that dichotomy of ruthless intelligence coupled with utter lack of sanity. I would enjoy the idea of being Mikage's peer. Were he to invite me to join his seminar I would accept immediately (damn you Miki! Let's trade places school-devil). What Akio seems to be for the rest of the cast, the source of seduction enmeshed in desire and dark pervasive allure, Mikage would be to me. I can see myself all too easily helping him grow black roses ad eternum. Odds are he would craftily manipulate me all too easily, if it suited his plan. He could boost my ego without doing much, actually. I would make his whacky project of seizing eternity my own, in other words, I would end being Mikage's Rose Bride in a way.

*Tokiko and Mamiya:
Only mentioned here due to Mikage: I would have to get rid of these two, somehow. I would think of something when the time came.

*Akio:
I would be very suspicious of him. Odds are I would both enjoy being around him but would feel slightly distressed whenever I thought about him.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (09-25-2007 05:11:53 PM)

#38 | Back to Top09-25-2007 11:05:26 PM

Jellineck

What Akio seems to be for the rest of the cast, the source of seduction enmeshed in desire and dark pervasive allure, Mikage would be to me. I can see myself all too easily helping him grow black roses ad eternum. Odds are he would craftily manipulate me all too easily, if it suited his plan. He could boost my ego without doing much, actually. I would make his whacky project of seizing eternity my own, in other words, I would end being Mikage's Rose Bride in a way.

Ooooh, beautifully said. True attraction lies in the intellectual allure - plus Mikage has that interesting contast between detached analysis and deeply emotional intensity. Physically appealing as well. Thin and pale and elegant, with long tapered fingers and a sort of delicacy that well defines his character.

I agree with you - Akio is all the illusional appearance of depth and complexity, but his truth is quite base. He desires pleasure, power, only vaguely hungers for something completely beyond his reach due to his dependence on the former traits. Searching him would be to peel away the facades of philosophy and lovely appearances to find only something quite vapid and ugly underneath.

Mikage, however, has that source of genuine emotion and inclination towards a moral nature beneath his mental conflicts. An analysis with rewards. The possibility of emotional attachment spiced with an intellectual bond.

Or at least in my humble opinion.

"You said you would do anything for me, right Mamiya?" Mikage purred as he slithered close. "Yes that's right" Mamiya said with a rosey blush. Mikage's smile was evil and cinister as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a banana. "Eeny meeny myny moo. I wonder where my banana will go?" - The Forbidden Passions of Nemuro

#39 | Back to Top09-26-2007 11:26:41 AM

Tenshi
Miki Molester

Whoa! I didn't even give it a thought before.. Let me see...

Anthy: I would be drawn to her because I have been bullied myself (Saionji and Nanami gang) so I'd probably think she is delicate and reserved. However, I believe I'd realize she is too weird for me because of the huge difference in how she treats people. "If Utena lets me"-line would make me angry, I'd probably yell at her: "Get a grip, you're not her slave! Think for yourself!" And her constant smile and sort of happiness unproportional to all she seems to be going through would just freak me out.

Did I mention that I hated her most of the series?

Juri: I love her as a character, and I'd probably admire her from afar. Hell, I'd be in the fencing team, asking her for advice (possibly sucking up to her too). I'd end up worshiping her and having her picture in a locket around my neck... Though I doubt her personality would allow her to ever consider me as a friend.. She'd probably find me unimportant.

Utena: I'd approach her very fast because she's unconventional, just like me. I'd admire her courage. Out of all characters, I think I'd get along with her best, even though I don't really like her as a person that much...

Miki: I love him as a character, and I believe I'd be very drawn to him because he is delicate, likes music and such. I'd butt in between him and Anthy and play piano with him. I'd be a comfort to him, or at least try, considering his sister being a whore and him being ignored by pretty much everyone..

I'd avoid Nanami because she would seem to me as a self-centered, egotistical brat. And a snobby bitch.

I'd probably hate Kozue. I dislike whory-types.

Who else...

I'd run away every time I'd see either Touga or Akio. Over-confident Don Juan types freak me out and every fibre of my being screams "HE'LL USE YOU!!!!" , so... I'd stay far far away. emot-biggrin

#40 | Back to Top09-26-2007 07:20:29 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Jellineck wrote:

Akio is all the illusional appearance of depth and complexity, but his truth is quite base. He desires pleasure, power, only vaguely hungers for something completely beyond his reach due to his dependence on the former traits. Searching him would be to peel away the facades of philosophy and lovely appearances to find only something quite vapid and ugly underneath.

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me like Akio even more. I'm broken. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#41 | Back to Top09-26-2007 11:48:51 PM

Drukqs
Ballgoer
Website

Perfect topic for me.  I always love characters I would beat to death if I ever personally met them (Asuka, House, Haruhi, etc.)

I always imagine I'd hate Juri's guts at first, but then I'd learn a bit about her and go 'aw, poor girl, maybe she's not such a frigid bitch', but I think I'd just more have respect for her than be her friend.  I don't know about Anthy.  I think we'd have a 'kindred souls' kind of relationship, but I don't think I could talk to her unless Utena was around.

You can go to LJ, or tastysouls.deviantart.com

#42 | Back to Top09-27-2007 10:48:43 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Hm, interesting subject. I think that I would like the same characters in "real" life which I like in series. I know two Nanami-like girls, one of them is in my class. First of them wanted to "fight" with me because I sent her bad glance. -_- Second is in my current class, she has entourage of prissy bitches who don't like her at all. And you know what? She seems to like me, or has a respect for me. I dunno why. I can say honestly that I would be happier if I didn't meet that girls. I don't like Kozue because I'm too innocent for friends like her. emot-redface Miki - I would think that he's sensitive and shy gay, so I would try to befriend with him. Utena - I'm sure that I would get along with her. Anthy - don't kill me, but she's boring for me. That's right, she doesn't have interest and she's too quiet. I would pity her. Shiori - I would be very suspicious about her. Wakaba - good pal, nothing more. Sajionji - daredevil X_x Touga - I would laugh at him. Akio - I would see erudite in him, so I think that I could even fall in love with him.

Tenjou_sailorsaturn wrote:

I can't befriend Anthy. I find her too subtle to get an actual conversation with her, leaving me no chance to know her more. However, if there's Utena with her, then we may get along.

True.

#43 | Back to Top09-27-2007 01:34:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

dlaire wrote:

Sajionji - daredevil X_x Touga - I would laugh at him. Akio - I would see erudite in him, so I think that I could even fall in love with him.

That's a good way to ensure you're going to have Touga maniacally determined to seduce you. emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#44 | Back to Top09-27-2007 03:38:12 PM

Jellineck

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me like Akio even more. I'm broken.

I'm thinking you'd make a kick-ass Rose Bride (though kick-ass is a weird way to describe it).

Touga - I would laugh at him.

Oh yes, oh yes. Despite Giovanna's excellent point, I thought I was the only one who'd break down hysterically laughing if Touga ever pranced in tossing his hair like a particularly vain filly. I'd also get his phone number and prank him to death. Sure, he'd probably get me kicked out of school, but it'd be worth it.

#45 | Back to Top09-27-2007 11:06:55 PM

alirias
Yaoi Pet Pet
Website

Hrm.

I would hate Wakaba with a burning passion. She's so...superficial, her forced cheeryness would get on my nerves. She reminds me of my hyper siblings.

Utena Shattered said was a lot like me. I'd maybe talk philosophy for a bit then get bored.

Actually, if I was at Ohtori, I'd see if they had a library... x.x

"I do not need Rule 34 of The Simpsons and Scooby-Doo when I'm looking for good porn." -ShatteredMirror

#46 | Back to Top09-27-2007 11:11:58 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Of COURSE Ohtori has a library! Where do you think Miki spends all of his time? emot-tongue

And despite being a lot like alirias, I don't really think I'd get on well with Utena. After all, they aren't so much alike as they share some similar traits...

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#47 | Back to Top09-28-2007 02:12:09 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Jellineck wrote:

See, this is the kind of thing that makes me like Akio even more. I'm broken.

I'm thinking you'd make a kick-ass Rose Bride (though kick-ass is a weird way to describe it).

Considering how servile a Rose Bride is meant to be, I think the term KISS ASS would be more fitting.

Last edited by Tamago (09-28-2007 04:03:04 PM)

#48 | Back to Top09-28-2007 09:59:50 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Giovanna wrote:

dlaire wrote:

Sajionji - daredevil X_x Touga - I would laugh at him. Akio - I would see erudite in him, so I think that I could even fall in love with him.

That's a good way to ensure you're going to have Touga maniacally determined to seduce you. emot-frown

YES. And then I would say to him: Oh, what a pity. I have a girlfriend. *mad laughing* school-devil

#49 | Back to Top09-28-2007 04:34:29 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

Jellineck wrote:

What Akio seems to be for the rest of the cast, the source of seduction enmeshed in desire and dark pervasive allure, Mikage would be to me. I can see myself all too easily helping him grow black roses ad eternum. Odds are he would craftily manipulate me all too easily, if it suited his plan. He could boost my ego without doing much, actually. I would make his whacky project of seizing eternity my own, in other words, I would end being Mikage's Rose Bride in a way.

Ooooh, beautifully said. True attraction lies in the intellectual allure - plus Mikage has that interesting contast between detached analysis and deeply emotional intensity. Physically appealing as well. Thin and pale and elegant, with long tapered fingers and a sort of delicacy that well defines his character.

I agree with you - Akio is all the illusional appearance of depth and complexity, but his truth is quite base. He desires pleasure, power, only vaguely hungers for something completely beyond his reach due to his dependence on the former traits. Searching him would be to peel away the facades of philosophy and lovely appearances to find only something quite vapid and ugly underneath.

Mikage, however, has that source of genuine emotion and inclination towards a moral nature beneath his mental conflicts. An analysis with rewards. The possibility of emotional attachment spiced with an intellectual bond.

Or at least in my humble opinion.

I could not have said it better myself! Speaking about Mikage's dichotomy of highly rational drive coupled with a genuine emotional depth, I have been toying with the idea of writing an essay on the subject but I always end up shying away from the subject.
Also, something occurred to me. *If* I was able to remember Mikage after the Black Rose Arc (which is not very likely but let us suppose it happened) I would gladly leave Ohtori to go hunting for him "in the real world" very much like Anthy did to Utena at the end of the series. Also, regarding characters and the way they change throughout the series, I'd venture to say that no one changes as much as Mikage. He goes from being a completely heartless individual, Nemuro, to being someone capable of feeling love, Mikage. Even as Mikage he still undergoes a grave change as he realizes that his emotions have been founded on what is essentially not true. An interesting thing about Mikage is that he only becomes truly dangerous once his emotional side is awakened. As "human computer" Nemuro he does not have enough motivation to care much about anything, eternity included. The fabled essay that I might still write purports to explain that love is both Mikage's downfall and source of strength as well as the ability to claim agency.

#50 | Back to Top09-29-2007 09:15:07 AM

Jellineck

Speaking about Mikage's dichotomy of highly rational drive coupled with a genuine emotional depth, I have been toying with the idea of writing an essay on the subject but I always end up shying away from the subject.

Go for it! I, at least, would be a dedicated reader. Really, there are so many interesting essays on here. This is the intellectual Utena's nerd's heaven, so take advantage of it. I was thinking of trying to write one with more analysis of Christian symbolism in the series, specifically pertaining to the parallel with Adam and Eve where the temptation of the woman dooms the man (hence the woman forever needing to carry out the subservient role). But unfortunately, college time doesn't permit me to do a really worthy job.

Also, regarding characters and the way they change throughout the series, I'd venture to say that no one changes as much as Mikage.

I'd put him right after Anthy is that regard, which is still quite high on the list since it's Anthy's change that drives the plot of the series.

He goes from being a completely heartless individual, Nemuro, to being someone capable of feeling love, Mikage. Even as Mikage he still undergoes a grave change as he realizes that his emotions have been founded on what is essentially not true. An interesting thing about Mikage is that he only becomes truly dangerous once his emotional side is awakened. As "human computer" Nemuro he does not have enough motivation to care much about anything, eternity included. The fabled essay that I might still write purports to explain that love is both Mikage's downfall and source of strength as well as the ability to claim agency.

How ironic that Akio views him as having lost the game, failing completely to recognize that the shattering of Mikage's illusion essentially frees him from Ohtori. To Akio, the only way to win is to immerse yourself more and more deeply into the game and deeper into your coffin. When Mikage "graduates" and gains his independence, he is viewed as little more than a failure. Ggggrrr, Akio.

Anyway, I have to point out the irony of how strongly emotions affect Nemuro's behavior. Perhaps he lived for a longtime as a dry and unfeeling genius, but his breakthrough causes far more violence than any other character in the series. After all, the man who lived by logic becomes a mass murderer. Even in Ohtori, that's pretty extreme (Utena is not a series with a lot of direct death and you don't even see blood). Though he was manipulated by Akio, he unfortunately commits the greatest crime in terms of body count in the series.

Irony, irony, irony. How I adore thee.

Board footer