This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top12-04-2008 10:19:24 PM

Madam Cheezy
Ballgoer
Website

Re: Funny Linguistic Issues: Idioms etc.

I can't believe nobody thought of this....

Quoth dlaire:
We use many words to describe attractive girl - 'laska' (staff? walking-stick?) is the most popular. Yes, it's stupid. emot-tongue What's funny, I know teenagers that call slutty girl FANTA - fuck and never touch again.

Here in the states, there is a Fanta soda line.....grape, orange, etc.

I can only imagine if you asked a Polish-born person if they wanted a Fanta....lol....

When I had asked my cat, 'Who's the best?' he stared back and said simply, 'Mao.'

"Arise, gay ocelot, and bitch up the fagtastic sniz-ake."
-My husband, drabble-ing

#52 | Back to Top12-06-2008 07:34:41 PM

Duelist Megu
Ruthless Deflorist
Website

I can't believe I've held out from saying things in this thread for so long. (Lingustics student, so I could go on and on...)

Probably the biggest lexical thing I notice in my area is the complete absence of "lend" from many speakers.  "Hey, can you borrow me a pencil?" is generally the norm.  Also, phonologically, we're smack in the middle of what they call the Northern Cities Vowel Shift.  Here, "bagel" has the "ay" sound in "hate", not the a in "cat".  And something I've noticed on my own is that newscasters on the national news will be talking about the "eeeconomy", whereas we have an "eckonomy"; you get what I mean?

Finally, the language I've done the most work with is Hmong, so here's a tidbit or two from that language.  A lot of the stuff I notice is weird loan translations.  The word for pencil, "cwjmem" literally translated, means something like "lead magic wand".  "Hlub hlau", literally "metal brain", is a computer.  "Ntawv huab cua", "air paper", is email.  "Seem tseej", "leftover spill", is trash in its modern sense, as opposed to an older phrase they used for refuse in agrarian Southeast Asia, which was generally a different kind of stuff.  It's fascinating to see the language try to twist itself around to adjust to a massive shift of environment.  I think my favorite example of this sort of adaptation is how, in Southeast Asia, they didn't orient themselves by north and south in our sense, but used "uphill", farther north into the mountains, and "downhill", south to a lower elevation.  Some Hmong populations here still use them for north and south even though there aren't mountains at all.  Crazy stuff.

#53 | Back to Top12-27-2008 05:19:09 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

There's one cool Polish word that does not exist in others (as far as I know). It's an adjective that means 'not talked utterly'*. It describes subject/topic that has been mentoined, but people didn't tell everything what's important.

* niedopowiedziany

About tongue-twisters - sentence 'Are you still eating or you stopped?' is very shshsh in Polish: Jesz jeszcze czy już nie jesz? (Yesh yeshtsche tschy yush jie yesh, I suppose that's how it should be written to show you how to spell it.)

Last edited by dlaire (12-27-2008 05:20:09 AM)

#54 | Back to Top12-27-2008 05:50:06 AM

Notebook Darling
Black Rosarian
Website

Ik heb een appeltje met jou te schillen

Literally: I've got an apple to peel with you.
meaning: I've got some unfinished business with you.

edit: the language is dutch.

Last edited by Notebook Darling (12-27-2008 05:54:54 AM)

#55 | Back to Top12-27-2008 03:14:15 PM

Pfft
Touga Topper

Megu:

I find it quite heartening that there are English native speakers who use "borrow" for "lend": that seems to be a typical mistake made by Swedish native speakers, and one I *still* make after speaking English for yonks. (There is only a single word for them in Swedish, but that can't be the whole story, since e.g. Germans don't have the same problem. Also, I never say "lend" for "borrow", even though that would be the cognate of Swedish "låna"... it's all extremely strange. I wonder if any semanticist has studied the phenomenon?).

~ a Sphinx-phinx in the winter of the desert  ~

#56 | Back to Top12-28-2008 05:31:35 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Notebook Darling, how lovely this sounds! etc-love
About borrowing and lending - well, we have one word instead of two for that in Polish. We just add different prepositions.

I have always found convenient that in English there's solitude and loneliness while in Polish there's one word for both. But, in Polish, there's 2 words that describe jealousy: one of them could be positive or negative, the second one is always destructive and correlated with hate. It's difficult to describe philological nuances but we have also two words to describe disappointment (zawiedziony, rozczarowany). They aren't synonymes but the difference between them is really hard to find.

There's also one Polish word that I find unique: żal. It has few meanings, for example:
1. regret, bitter feeling of disappointment
2. Well, here's a problem. When we feel żal towards someone, it's not only regret. We feel strong concealed bitterness because someone hasn't made sth right or hasn't made what we desired. It usually refers to forlorn relationships.

What's more, we have about 6 nouns for 'rain' and 'rainy weather'. emot-smile I especially like word that means 'bad weather when snow has turned into the mud'. I know there's a word for this in German (das Schneematsch, das Mansch). How about English?

#57 | Back to Top12-30-2008 01:26:06 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Im surprised no americans posted this goofy chain of words: "You can have your cake and eat it too". Which is to say you cant always get what you want, but the whole idea of cake is to eat it!

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#58 | Back to Top12-30-2008 01:33:48 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Epee_724 wrote:

Im surprised no americans posted this goofy chain of words: "You can have your cake and eat it too". Which is to say you cant always get what you want, but the whole idea of cake is to eat it!

We have similiar to this in Polish 'to have a cookie and to eat it'. The idea is the same emot-smile

#59 | Back to Top12-31-2008 07:07:25 AM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Stormcrow wrote:

For some reason, Brits, and Aussies in particular have great idioms for drunkenness...wonder why that could be...

My personal favorite it for someone to be "out of his face". Something a bit visceral about that one.

Us yorkshire folk have the best though emot-tongue Some of my faves:

Wankered, bladdered, twatted, off yer face, slaughtered, off yer head, fucked, pissed, shitfaced, smashed. And the list goes on.

Apparantly, in french, 'avoir le cafard' (lit: have the cockroach) is to be depressed, and 'to have a hard tooth' in to be critical. I've also read somewhere that the Serbo-Croatians use 'nylon' to mean something shabby or a bit dodgy, so for example a 'nylon hotel' would be a euphemism for a brothel.
Yay for fellow linguistic students.

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Board footer