This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-01-2017 11:32:50 AM

At Times, Love Is
Touga Topper

Song translation troubles

I am trying to translate one of the songs from the Banyu Inryoku Apocalypse CD, called Kaspar - Shangri-La. It's from the Kaspar Hauser musical that also produced Absolute Destiny Apocalypse and Seal Spell. It's short, and fairly simple, at least for Seazer, but there's this thing about the sentence structure that keeps throwing me off. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this! I will share the final translation eventually.
It starts with "Karada no naka ni nanika ga iru" which I know is "There is something inside my body," and then it goes "Watashi ka to omoeba sore za kaze." The rest of the lines in the verse are the same, except "karada" is replaced with individual body parts ("There is something inside my head/finger/etc.) and "watashi" is replaced with words like "sabishisa" (loneliness) and "kotoba" (words), and kaze "wind" is replaced w/ things like water, light, etc.
I can't translate the second line and its variations bc the "ka to" is really throwing me off... I don't know what it's for. Interestingly, I was able to find the lyrics online on a Japanese site and that used "kakou" (past) instead... so it could be that the version in my lyrics booklet is a mistake... but I think it's more likely that there are just slightly different versions of the lyrics. Unfortunately... listening to the song, I can't say for sure which it sounds more like.
Is there anyone here who can tell me what this kind of sentence is saying? "Ka" and "to" are written in hiragana.

#2 | Back to Top06-24-2017 07:45:19 AM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Re: Song translation troubles

The Japanese says "Watashi ka to omoeba"?

The "ka to" should just be viewed as the two particles "ka" and "to".

"ka to omou" is softer than ""to omou" because it adds an element of questioning to the thought.  I often hear it in "shinu ka to omotta" rhetorically saying that you thought you were gonna die.

Last edited by mazoboom (06-24-2017 07:47:46 AM)

Board footer