This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top06-23-2007 10:51:32 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Help me help you get the best damn gallery on the internet. POST HERE.

My head hurts and now I'm not hungry and I had such a nice menu planned. emot-frown

As it is, the only way I can make this work is really, really clumsy. I can't figure out how to make the textarea the parameters appear in be the same one that's the submit for the search. So you'd have to click up the things you want, and then copy and paste that code into the actual search box. Ugh.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#52 | Back to Top06-23-2007 10:53:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

At this rate it might just be better to list the special keywords by subject and let you all input them yourselves. This is just going to confuse people.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#53 | Back to Top06-23-2007 10:53:25 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I kind of feel like I'm watching some kind of Behind the Music documentary. "With everything in place, Gio thought that coding should be clean sailing, but unfortunately, fate held a few bumps in store for her..." I'm on the edge of my seat!

Ganbate, Gio-chan!etc-love

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#54 | Back to Top06-23-2007 11:03:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This is never smooth sailing for me, since I don't know PHP or Javascript to save my life. Everything I've done here, in the forum and elsewhere, I've done by brute force and trial and error.

Maybe I can go in and edit the code so that the + command isn't necessary for things to be 'and'...in that case search parameters wouldn't need to be one word, you could search 'student council saga' and be alright, but that will be murder for me to manually put in the keywords for. As long as it works, I don't mind...

Ok...there seems to be a mod in Sourceforge that allows people to search by album. This would alleviate the need for most of those keywords, but it's yet to be seen whether the mod will work with the boolean search mod. If it doesn't, I'm SOL, if it does, you guys can jump to the album you want to search (Student Council Arc) and then search what you want. '+wakaba +lunch' or something. The pluses I think I'm kinda stuck with though, I don't see any way to make it assumed...

But I should probably quit for the night because I'm getting a headache. emot-gonk

Last edited by Giovanna (06-23-2007 11:24:22 PM)

#55 | Back to Top06-24-2007 12:35:35 AM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Wow! Thank you very much for putting this together!!! etc-love etc-love etc-love

I feel like it's the grand opening of a new gigantic Trump building! Not like the South Park parody of Paris Hilton's "Stupid Spoiled Whore Store" but something of supreme importance -- enough to pop bottles of champagne upon completion! About the coding tribulations...don't fret, Gio! Listening to you describe the step by step of what you're doing, I can already imagine the process of searching for something, and what it will be like. (we know how computer-savvy I am) Reading your thoughts on the process is like listening to a "HOW TO" manual. You're excellent at explaining things clearly and concisely, so by the time you have this system figured out, it will be a breeze to document the functions!

Thanks a million for all the effort & dedication, you're the best!!!!

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#56 | Back to Top06-24-2007 12:57:55 AM

Usagi
Tenjou Tilter

Giovanna wrote:

Usagi wrote:

I so want the whole of Akio's car jump. Each and every frame.  Then I could print them all out and flip the pages and watch over and over.

emot-dance

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/Jump.zip emot-smile

Thank you very much emot-keke

K-9: Insufficient data

The Fourth Doctor: Yea, you never fuc*ing know the answer when it's important!

#57 | Back to Top06-24-2007 09:55:37 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Gio-san, did you ever know that you're my hero? *SHOT*

Seriously, I am amazed at your dedication to this place and the gallery. I have no idea what I could possibly do for you to help your quest or a reward at the end of it, but if you ask, I shall do my best.

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#58 | Back to Top06-25-2007 05:20:27 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Giovanna being a hero has become a matter of fact. (:

#59 | Back to Top06-26-2007 08:10:17 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

AnjitheArtist and Arki wrote:

Love for Gio's dedication to the forum and Gallery

Quoted for fucking truth, my friends. You've done a spectacular job with the forums as it stands, Gio. I'm positive you'll do just as well, if not better, on the Gallery. Go team you! emot-dance

But don't give yourself a migraine over the project. Go ahead and take your time. We won't think less of you. We don't want you to burn yourself out over this great undertaking in SKU fandom history.

And a great undertaking it most certainly is. poptartpoptartpoptartpoptartpoptart for you, Gio!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#60 | Back to Top06-28-2007 07:16:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

I posted to the gallery forum about how to mod the mod so you guys wouldn't have to put + in front of every word and actually got a response! One problem down! emot-dance

Actually the solution is retarded easy...it's just one word change. But I don't know the code, so I wouldn't have known that'd be enough. emot-redface

Tonight I'll see if I can make this mod agree with the album mod, which will remove the need for you guys having 29487234 things to input into search. Just go to the album you want to search and it'll only search within it. I think that plus the basic boolean should be enough to make the search feature functional. Thoughts?

Last edited by Giovanna (06-28-2007 07:18:10 AM)

#61 | Back to Top06-28-2007 07:32:17 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Actually the solution is retarded easy...it's just one word change. But I don't know the code, so I wouldn't have known that'd be enough. emot-redface

Things like this are the reason why I could never be a programmer. I'm not 100% sure I'm understanding you, but it sounds pretty easy to use. You probably won't know for sure without some street-testing, though. Can't wait!etc-love

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#62 | Back to Top06-28-2007 01:43:38 PM

Drukqs
Ballgoer
Website

Always adored the gallery, so here's my input.

For loading I don't care much, because I have Comcast as my ISP so that pretty much requires you to have a buttload of patience.  Just don't make it so slow that I think the internet is down.
Not sure about size to quality ratio...
But I love the new search function feature.  Those things save my life.

Can't wait for the updates etc-love

Last edited by Drukqs (06-28-2007 01:44:05 PM)

You can go to LJ, or tastysouls.deviantart.com

#63 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:01:52 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

I've forgotten to ask.... will these images have their source artbook/whatever as part of the folder system? All my images on my computer I have foldered by source. Like the Rose Juju Book and the Chiho Saito Luxury Illustrations? I like knowing where things come from, because I have a very good location memory and am more likely to remember that the Utena Series Filmbooks don't have the pretty rose-border screenshot signature pages and the Utena: This is Animation book does. I think if I had to reorganize my personal collection into the organization you had here, it would drive me nuts. I like knowing where the original images were taken from. It's since become my own personal organizational scheme for all my anime pictures. Even if it's just part of the description or something... is what I'm asking at all possible? Is what I'm asking even comprehensible?

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#64 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:21:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think I can probably accomplish that with keyword albums. At the very least, you'll be able to search certain things, like the term 'tia' to view the This is Animation book. It'll still operate very differently, because large portions of a lot of the artbooks are being completely removed. There are going to be maybe...ten...images from the Film Books in this final gallery. Another problem is composite images, and images that have moved. A lot of the images that are presently in the Maison CD are now using the Art Collection for their source images, so if you look at the Maison album expecting to find certain images, you won't. emot-frown

#65 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:33:02 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Why are you taking out pieces of the artbooks? Because you have the screencaps for them or what? (I never really liked the filmbooks anyway and thought they were a little silly. >>;;;)

Moved images are fine. That doesn't bother me. Getting used to finding certain images elsewhere will be odd, but less problematic than getting used to a whole new organizational sceme. emot-keke

By the way, since I've not metioned my appreciation, this is an awesome undertaking and it'll be awesome no matter how it turns out.

#66 | Back to Top07-03-2007 10:37:49 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Lady Chani wrote:

Why are you taking out pieces of the artbooks? Because you have the screencaps for them or what? (I never really liked the filmbooks anyway and thought they were a little silly. >>;;;)

Because this version of the gallery, unlike the present one, will have no duplicate images.

Well I shouldn't say that. There will be like four or five for certain reasons, but if an image appears in three artbooks, only the best copy I have from the artbook I scanned from will be in the gallery.

As for the film books, they were my way of skipping screencapping. I didn't this time. emot-keke

#67 | Back to Top07-03-2007 11:26:00 AM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

That makes sense. emot-keke THanks for explaining it.

Skipping screencaps.... I think that if any of us find a cap that you don't have for us, it will be a day to mark on the calendar. emot-keke

#68 | Back to Top07-03-2007 08:14:17 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I think...I think, I have this set up right. I also got errors at some point so I'm not sure if this will explode on me or not, but right now, the search function's working the way I want it to. The option to search is not in the root folder because of the mod, meaning you have to go to an album to search, which forces people to search only the movie, or only the series. This is a good thing.

I'm worried about the errors I was getting though. emot-frown

#69 | Back to Top07-03-2007 09:54:05 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Giovanna wrote:

I think...I think, I have this set up right. I also got errors at some point so I'm not sure if this will explode on me or not, but right now, the search function's working the way I want it to. The option to search is not in the root folder because of the mod, meaning you have to go to an album to search, which forces people to search only the movie, or only the series. This is a good thing.

I'm worried about the errors I was getting though. emot-frown

Aww. emot-frown I wish I had something helpful to say.. but good luck! I'm giddy and excited about the new gallery and will probably suffer from a sexual meltdown once I see it, but take your time and don't rush. etc-love etc-love

#70 | Back to Top07-04-2007 05:36:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The more I'm working with it, the better I feel about being able to beat it into user-friendly submission. On the flipside, not so confident about skinning it, and there really isn't much room given the amount of content for skinning anyway. So it won't be as fancypants as most of the site, but I will at least make it clearly an SKU themed layout.

It's been a while since I've looked at the cleaned images I did for the artwork. They really are gorgeous. emot-redface

#71 | Back to Top07-05-2007 11:08:46 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Writing the keywords is TEDIOUS AS SHIT. I'm a little over halfway done with the first episode and it's taken about an hour and a half. I estimate once I have this down, it'll take 2-3 hours an episode to write the keywords...about 100 hours and that's just the 39 episodes of the series. emot-frown

#72 | Back to Top07-05-2007 11:18:05 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

emot-frown

Now I realise again how much work you've done for the gallery etc-love
poptart

#73 | Back to Top07-05-2007 11:34:14 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

You're amazing, Gio. If I were the one who had to do all of this, I would keep putting it off, again, and again, and so it would never get done. Please do your best!

#74 | Back to Top07-05-2007 07:34:22 PM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

How come writing keywords takes so long? Can't you just copy/paste them where it's possible? *doesn't know how the new gallery will work*

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#75 | Back to Top07-05-2007 07:36:56 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Maarika wrote:

How come writing keywords takes so long? Can't you just copy/paste them where it's possible? *doesn't know how the new gallery will work*

I think the reason why it probably takes so long is because she might have to put a bunch of keywords on individual pictures.. emot-frown Or groups of pictures, at least. Yikes! *hugs to Gio!* emot-gonk etc-love etc-love

Board footer