This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-19-2007 03:50:31 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

fan fic (drabblish) The Pawn

The Pawn
(insert general disclaimers here)
Note: One day I'll write a Kanae/Kozue fic...for now you all just have to live with this.

After the piece had landed on the board it seemed an odd move, out of place amid the perfection of his normal game. His green eyes moved over his opponent’s options and he wondered if she would take the opportunity he had offered. She would still lose as he could see a multitude of moves that would correct his slight mistake, but he never actually made mistakes.

She did not know that though, because even though she was engaged to him she knew only what he wished for her to know.

He arched an eyebrow as her slender fingers curled about one of the black marble pieces. She hesitated and he smirked. It would have been an appropriate time for him to make a clever remark, or perhaps flirt, but she was nothing he really wanted. Winning such a match would be a useless victory, and he preferred his victories to have some semblance of a point. He wanted his winning to be meaningful, and for all his playing, toying with her, playing her fiancé, he had won by simply appearing. There was little point in making bolder moves. It would prove nothing.

With slight trepidation she moved the knight, letting her fingers linger on the piece before drawing them back. She looked up at him, her dark green eyes seeking something from his own. Seeking, those eyes were always seeking. She wanted love, but there was no one left to love her.

He grinned at her and said, “It’s getting late. We should continue this game again some other time.”

She grimaced, disappointment clear in her features. Nodding she said, “And you won’t be sneaky and move the pieces while I am away?”

“The board will remain as you left it, Kanae.”

She looked away and nodded again.

If he had any sense of the word he would have pitied her. There she was his fiancée, the discarded daughter of the academy’s sickly chairman, ignored daughter. Akio paid her about as much attention as he would a gnat. Shooing her way when she was clearly in the way of other things he wanted, like her mother. He fought a chuckle and it played in the color of his eyes, granting her something she could take as warmth.

Kanae stood up and straightened out the line of her skirt and Akio stood shortly after. He moved towards her and gave her a kiss, a simple and chaste peck on the lips. He could feel her despair swelling up behind her eyes. Tears she wanted to shed that she dare not because to cry would be to believe that he did not love her. She could not do such a thing. She was trapped by their engagement. She had little choice but to believe the lies she had created for herself.

She stepped away brushing a yellow-green lock of hair out of her eyes before stepping into the elevator.

Akio allowed himself the chuckle he had repressed and sat back down on the couch. He looked over the board at where things had been left. The soft sound of movement caught at his ears and he turned his head towards the noise, looking but not looking.

“Would you like to play a game, Anthy?”

Last edited by Alithea (04-21-2007 02:52:14 PM)

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#2 | Back to Top04-19-2007 04:08:30 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Re: fan fic (drabblish) The Pawn

WOW. I loved this. etc-love

I think you portrayed both Akio and Kanae wonderfully. Kanae and her desperateness for love, and especially Akio - he's comfortable already knowing he's winning, and he doesn't need to go too far to prove himself.

I love how he told Kanae that the pieces would be the same next time, and yet at the end he asked Anthy to play. He definitely seemed much more excited about "playing" with Anthy than Kanae.

Poor Kanae, though. *hugs her*

Thank you for sharing. emot-keke etc-love

#3 | Back to Top04-19-2007 05:33:23 PM

Pandora
Pathtracer

Oooh, nicely done! I really feel sorry for Kanae, she seems so nice and yet she's stuck in such a shitty situation. I loved how you portrayed both her and Akio, it worked really nicely. Very nice emot-smile Have a poptart

#4 | Back to Top04-19-2007 07:10:22 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

As always, fantastic job Alithea!

Although, you know...why doesn't Kanae simply kick Akio in the groin muscle once in a while? Is it because she's just too damned nice or something? emot-gonk

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#5 | Back to Top04-19-2007 11:14:49 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Kanae is a princess. Princesses do not kick men in the muscles.

Also, awesome story.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top04-20-2007 01:06:28 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Well I am glad eveyone liked it.

unfortunately I'm issues with my choice of eye color and hair used for Kanae. Are here eyes actually brown or are they green...or do they change depending on what art work you look at.

Mer... anyway... I think I'm just being too picky. I need a poptart...poptart there that's better.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#7 | Back to Top04-20-2007 04:43:06 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I always thought Kanae's eyes were a dark green, about the color of Saionji's hair. Of course, all of my Utena colors are probably off because I watch on the computer.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#8 | Back to Top04-20-2007 07:37:13 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Wowwie. emot-aaa

That's just... well. Utterly amazing.

Um. *whimper*

Hold me?

#9 | Back to Top04-20-2007 11:25:06 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Wowwie. emot-aaa

Um. *whimper*

Hold me?

Why do you need someone to hold you exactly?

Oh well.

*holds Lady Nilamarthiel* I'm sure you'll be fine shortly. *grin* Hee have a poptart

#10 | Back to Top04-21-2007 08:21:22 AM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Another wonderful fanfiction. I always love to see fanfictions involving Kanae, especially since there aren't many out there.

As for Kanae's eye color, I always thought it was interesting how she has the same eye color as Anthy. "Then, without a word, she just turned to me and smiled! And when I saw her eyes, I shivered! Because they were cold, alien!" That line always caught my attention. It's also interesting how Anthy never has her eyes open when Kanae is around. I'm not really sure what it means, though.

#11 | Back to Top04-21-2007 07:50:49 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Alithea wrote:

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

Wowwie. emot-aaa

Um. *whimper*

Hold me?

Why do you need someone to hold you exactly?

Oh well.

*holds Lady Nilamarthiel* I'm sure you'll be fine shortly. *grin* Hee have a poptart

AKIO. FREAKS. THE FUCK OUT OF ME. In the bestworstbest way possible.

I love you.

#12 | Back to Top04-21-2007 08:22:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

AKIO. FREAKS. THE FUCK OUT OF ME.

Oh, if only. etc-wankgirl

Great as always, Alithea. Between Mrs.Ohtori and Akio, you've just been making all kinds of Gio happy. emot-dance

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

Board footer