This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top07-23-2007 08:56:30 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Utena PlotBunny Adoption Services

This has been a random idea I've had for a while, and this doesn't seem to be covered in any threads. Anyone who's written fanfic knows that sometimes you don't have the time or inclination to work with a certain plot-bunny. Sometimes, you can't write at all because of writer's block. And sometimes you have just a snippet, an image, and can't think of what to build around it. If we share ideas, we can stimulate each other's interests, better generate more ideas, and hopefully create more fandom for us all to enjoy.

I'll post a few examples to get things started, but even if no one has the time nor inclination to do mine, post yours! Take up another one that interests you! Heck, do several of the same and share the different takes you took on the same plotbunny! The idea behind this thread is to get an exchange of story ideas going, to get rid of any sense of writer's block. Even if you're not inspired by a particular idea, it should at least get your creative juices flowing enough to help you. Even if you've never written fanfic before, this is the perfect place to begin!

Now, if it'll get things started, here's some Plotbunnies that I'm putting up for adoption:

1.) An in-depth story dealing with Saionji's childhood, particularly in view of the hints the series may be giving us of him growing up poor(leaving Ohtori with only one bag, having nowhere to go but Wakaba's dorm). Inadequacy issues, ahoy!

2.) AU: Utena was the first and only daughter born to a Samurai family, and so was forced to take up the blade and continue the family name(I saw on a samurai special years ago that this used to happen, correct me if I'm wrong). As a child, she was saved by a mysterious samurai. She is only given a sake cup with which to remember him, with which she will someday use to swear fealty to this lord. She now roams as a ronin in search of him, righting wrongs wherever she goes in his name. On her travels she befriends one of the most sought-after geisha in the land, who is even rumored to be the lover of the highest daimyo in the Shogunate, the true power behind the throne. But it seems that many others are willing to fight for the prestige that comes with being her donna. Nanami is a noble lady(think bitchy but stylish Sei Shonogan), but holds a hidden dagger like any woman of the Shogun class. Also, random fact, the color of the highest daimyo is dark purple--which seems like a nice little not-so-coincidence. emot-biggrin Anyone who undertakes this one gets my undying devotion.

Hat Mafia Member

#2 | Back to Top07-23-2007 10:18:28 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Re: Utena PlotBunny Adoption Services

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a lot of unused plot bunnies not just for Utena either. Here are some ideas I gladly offer up for adoption. These are taking from past LJ entries by the way.

Saionji/Wakaba (Utena) fic- Not a romance...just an apology fic. I think I'd have Saionji avoid Wakaba a little too much. maybe I can add a little subtle Juri/Wakaba hinting in it as well.

Juri/Wakaba (Utena)- speaking of which... I wrote one fic that really wasn't putting them together as a couple but as a way for both of them to think about how they felt about someone else. I think a Juri and Wakaba actually getting together fic would be great fun to write especially since Wakaba isn't one to put up with any of Juri's brooding.

The after series Utena Plot Bunny- It has been some 20 years after the revolution. Utena and Anthy have gone missing. There is a mysterious woman in the shadows taking slight orders from a giant black mirror. The black rose duelists slowly start to go missing, and one day the duelists begin to receive parcels containing a sword, a rose signet ring embedded with a gem of an appropriate color (ruby or garnet for Touga etc.), a rose, a lavender envelope, and a mirror. The envelope contains a letter asking the duelists to take up their swords and find the missing prince and princess. Battles would ignite between the Black Rose Duelists and the original Duelists... but lo what is this The Black Rose Duelists have a Rose Bride but it is neither Anthy nor Utena. In the end the true Rose Bride and Prince are hiding themselves within souls of one of the Duelists or Black Rose Duelists.

Shiori Comes Out- In which Shiori finally comes out of the closest and is quite frankly a bit surprised and insulted that no one is shocked or surprised by her revelation. Loaded with jokes regarding Juri and Kozue doing side betting and side plot in which Ruka tries to figure out why all the girl's he has wanted or has been with end up being gay.

Utena- Kozue and Mrs. Ohtori taking place within the cannon t.v. universe. Not sure of details yet but it would be fun to try.

Shiori Drabble plot bunny- To fill the need for smut in the world Shiori has sex on a crowded dance floor with some mysterious woman, probably Kozue or Chigusa, meanwhile Juri's head explodes from the visual.

Not so much a plot bunny:
The Utena Musical spectacular- Sometimes when I listen to too much Cole Porter, or Gershwin I start to wonder what it would be like if Utena was done as a Broadway musical comedy. With big tap dance numbers and a chorus line. emot-keke I suppose it may just be my wish for a happy ending where everything works out and everyone ends up with someone. Even Saionji.... *grin* You know you would all kill to see Juri in a flashy suit doing wings and singing something like "I've Got Rhythm".

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#3 | Back to Top07-23-2007 10:24:58 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Here is a plotbunny storyline, What if m-Akio and Akio swapped roles during the final parts of their respective stories?

#4 | Back to Top07-23-2007 11:35:00 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Urge to write... Rising... This thread should be helpful. My writer's block has been like a big, annoying boss monster on a video game that just won't die, but I think that I finally killed it. I've been writing a fanfiction since summer break started that's 49 pages so far, but maybe I should take a break to write one of these. (Please keep the fanfiction ideas coming!)

How Shiori Stole Christmas- A parody fic that I've mentioned before. If Shiori is apparently the ultimate evil, who has nothing better to do than steal people's boyfriend's, then why doesn't she just go all the way and steal Christmas? I'm sure that she could pull it off, with the help of her dog Ruka, (just plain old Ruka with a shock collar,) and some quick thinking to outwit Little Juri Arisugawa, who was no more than sixteen... Plus, wouldn't Shiori look cute dressed up in a skimpy Santa outfit? I might write this myself when I get the chance.

What If Shiori and Wakaba Traded Places?- This was Tamago's idea, but I would love to see someone write it. How would Juri react if she were in love with Wakaba, who is always jumping on her and saying how much she loves Juri, but is really straight? And how would Shiori react if it was Utena's shadow that she was living in?

#5 | Back to Top07-24-2007 12:01:13 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Here is a plotbunny storyline, What if m-Akio and Akio swapped roles during the final parts of their respective stories?

This fic ends with Giovanna brutally murdering whoever writes it.

Actually not really, I'd have liked to see Akio drawn as well as the characters in the movie are.

As for me, way back in the day I had an idea to write a post-series fic about Akio where he realizes (or at least the reader does) that, along the lines of Mrs. Ohtori, it's not that he stopped being the prince, it's that the princesses started 'needing' something that the prince as Dios didn't satisfy. I had a whole way this worked in my head and no doubt was full of what I thought was very clever symbolism and interpretation. Of course, I can't write so nothing came of this. emot-redface

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#6 | Back to Top07-24-2007 12:04:09 AM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Giovanna wrote:

Of course, I can't write so nothing came of this. emot-redface

Bollocks, you say! Everyone bother her until she writes it!

Hat Mafia Member

#7 | Back to Top07-24-2007 01:00:03 AM

nvt2125
Miki Molester

One fic idea that I've always wanted to see is a morning after piece in which the characters don't just get out of bed and pretend they didn't have sex, but one where they actually talk about the previous nights activities.  You know, an actual discussion about what they liked and disliked or things they would want to try next time.  Just a little more communication about their sex than fleeting eye contact and an embarrassed blush after someone acknowledges the night before.

It would be interesting to see how different character parings (Hint Hint: Juri/Shiori, Miki/Kozue) would react with each other when discussing sexual wants and acts.  I would write it myself if I didn't have the literary skills a retarded chimp. emot-frown

So, am I the only one that would rather see the characters having a frank, candid discussion about sex than actually having sex?  Would anyone be willing to give this a try? (More hinting: Juri/Shiori)

#8 | Back to Top07-24-2007 02:00:54 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Razara wrote:

What If Shiori and Wakaba Traded Places?- This was Tamago's idea, but I would love to see someone write it. How would Juri react if she were in love with Wakaba, who is always jumping on her and saying how much she loves Juri, but is really straight? And how would Shiori react if it was Utena's shadow that she was living in?

For one thing, Juri would certainly be needing that special shower attachment A LOT! and if she decides that Miki is the next best thing to a girl, there will be plenty of Kozue/Juri catfights ending in certain ways depending on what kind of fic it is. *evil grin*

#9 | Back to Top07-24-2007 10:04:30 AM

Raroy
Saionji Slapper

Utena gets drunk.  She then wakes up with Anthy in bed.

I would think it could be a humors fic.

#10 | Back to Top07-24-2007 12:30:16 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Did anyone ever write that Juri/Saionji fic?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#11 | Back to Top07-24-2007 01:38:29 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Ragnarok wrote:

Good point! I don't think anyone ever did. Anyone want to tackle it?

Hat Mafia Member

#12 | Back to Top07-24-2007 01:40:53 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

Ragnarok wrote:

Good point! I don't think anyone ever did. Anyone want to tackle it?

Tackle it? *gets out my 20 foot pole* umm no thanks!

#13 | Back to Top07-24-2007 03:39:26 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

My favorite idea that I have that isn't a crossover is one involving the following year at Ohtori. A new Student Council is formed from, of all people, the Black Rose Duelists. The thing I haven't worked out yet is who the new Rose Bride is.

a) Nanami-- I think she was unusually docile in those final scenes in episode 39. Suspiciously so. If not, I'd love to see her as the actual Student Council President solely due to prior experience.

b) Utena-- Hey, she could've been hiding under Akio's desk while he was talking to Anthy. And shouldn't the one who takes on the Swords of Hatred get to be the Rose Bride?

c) Wakaba-- It could work if Tatsuya plays Utena and tries to save her. Actually I had a better Wakaba-as-Rose-Bride plan worked out, but I've forgotten it.

And for ideas A and C, Utena can come back and be in the Ruka position.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#14 | Back to Top07-24-2007 03:45:32 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

I'm more the visual type.

Get it?! Utena plot bunny?! 8D Ha ha ha? I made a funny. ...I guess not. emot-frown Sorry, don't have any plot bunnies beside this one.

#15 | Back to Top07-24-2007 04:12:56 PM

Tea
New Student

This is completely OT but I can't resist it. Arki, you're the first person from Croatia I've ever found that likes (and knows of) Utena! emot-dance This is wonderful! ? *goes back to lurkdom*

Last edited by Tea (07-24-2007 04:15:15 PM)

#16 | Back to Top07-24-2007 06:42:30 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Arki, that is just wonderful. I especially love Anthy.

The only plot bunny I can remember having is a lemon with lil Touga and Saionji taking a shower together and Saionji bending down to get the soap... school-devil PWOP FTW!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#17 | Back to Top07-24-2007 08:36:00 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Random plot concept #29: A young Sigmund Freud attends Ohtori and becomes deeply involved in the duelling games of a prevous cycle.

(Actually I see him in a similar role to Mikage...)

#18 | Back to Top07-27-2007 06:32:40 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Sorry if I killed this thread with my super awesome ideas. emot-redface

From General SKUpidity:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

emot-aaa Is Movie Utena offering Series Anthy her jacket?!

Doesn't she have her own Naked Anthy to keep warm? emot-tongue

I wonder how Series Utena feels about this....

How would the Movie cast react to the Anime cast if they met?

(Okay I know this is not the sort of fic a person would generally want to admit to writing, but it'd be fun to read!)

#19 | Back to Top07-27-2007 06:48:34 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Ragnarok wrote:

How would the Movie cast react to the Anime cast if they met?

Hot Movie-ShiorixShiori action. school-devil

#20 | Back to Top07-27-2007 07:31:55 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Series-Shiori wouldn't last 3 seconds with Movie-Shiori.

...well, not upright. etc-wankgirl

Hell, this idea almost needs to be its own thread...

#21 | Back to Top07-28-2007 12:12:26 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Raroy wrote:

Utena gets drunk.  She then wakes up with Anthy in bed.

I would think it could be a humors fic.

emot-biggrin There's something like that. The SKU cast gets drunk and when they wake up next morning, everyone finds someone unexpected in their bed. It was hilarious.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#22 | Back to Top07-28-2007 04:30:37 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Series Nanami would certainly be gunning for Movie Shiori because she dare turn her beloved big brother into some kind of sex-toy footslave.

#23 | Back to Top07-28-2007 04:50:55 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

I have some plots in my head:

1. Juri finds her true love. Not Shiori, who I secretly named 'Reborn Ruka'. I prefer Juri to fall in love for a new somebody.

2. What happens to Utena after she was pierced by million swords of hatred. Singly from Utena's POV.

3. Letters to Duelists. From Anthy, after she left Ohtori. I believe there would be something she would very like to say to the duelists.

Feel free to adopt them! Have fun!

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#24 | Back to Top07-28-2007 08:34:45 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Some ideas that have been flittering in my head:

What if Mikage decided that instead of using Ohtori students using the soulswords of the Student Council, he was able to go to other worlds and use various characters to fight Utena using soulswords of great swordsmen/women of those world? Multi-crossover
(My ideas for crossover include; (One Piece)Tashigi using Zoro's 3 swords, (Love Hina)Keitaro using Motoko's sword, (Rurouni Kenshin)Kaoru using Kenshin Himura's sword and any other clever crossover like that)

Shinji Ikari wakes up one day and remembers being Utena Tenjou in a previous life and this causes a funamental change of personality on the day he is expected to meet Misato for the first time.

Sometime after she left Ohtori, Anthy somehow becomes the new housekeeper at the Sohma house in the woods. (Fruits Basket XOver) (Could you imagine someone who is able to turn someone into an animal, living with people who turn into animals on a regular basis?)

Two words: Cardcaptor Shiori!

Imagine this: Nanami the Serpent, Shiori Inverse, Juri Gabriev, Kozue Greywords, Utena Wil Tesla Seyruun and Anthy Metallium.

Last edited by Tamago (07-28-2007 08:35:28 AM)

#25 | Back to Top07-28-2007 12:31:14 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Tamago wrote:

Two words: Cardcaptor Shiori!

But then that would make Juri into Tomoyo.... emot-gonk

How about Card Captor Utena, with Wakaba as Tomoyo?

Imagine this: Nanami the Serpent, Shiori Inverse, Juri Gabriev, Kozue Greywords, Utena Wil Tesla Seyruun and Anthy Metallium.

Nanami already has the laugh down, even if she reminds me a bit more of Martina from NEXT. But Martina was basically Naga-lite anyway.

And I love the idea of Anthy as Xelloss....because he's my favorite!

Board footer