This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top06-16-2014 01:48:41 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

In Anthy's case... (Setting the cat amongst the pigeons)

Sooooo... following a mess on tumblr re: dickish people arguing over whether or not Akio raped Utena (complete with empty_movement doing heroic duty amidst the mud slinging). There's a couple of threads on that subject so I'm not getting into that one. However, I am seeing the phrase 'statutory rape' come up quite a bit. Again, there's already a fair amount of literature on that subject so that's another one I'll skip over. However, it did get me thinking. Much debate has gone into the issue of informed consent, and the lack of the aforementioned 'informed' that Utena didn't have.

So.

By extension.

If- and granted, this is an if, as in the tv series it's a lot more ambivalent than it is portrayed in the movie- if 'obeying' her owner meant that RoseBride!Anthy had to fulfill sexual demands and so forth, is Anthy committing statutory rape herself? We're talking thirteen, fourteen, fifteen year old kids here. Honestly? I think that she is. emot-frown

Last edited by crystalwren (06-16-2014 01:51:20 AM)

#2 | Back to Top06-16-2014 04:29:42 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Re: In Anthy's case... (Setting the cat amongst the pigeons)

Well, their whole argument is that Akio's appearance as an older man gives him power over Utena that may have affected her actions. Anthy, who appears as a fellow student, doesn't have that same authority.

#3 | Back to Top06-16-2014 08:54:47 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Atropos wrote:

Well, their whole argument is that Akio's appearance as an older man gives him power over Utena that may have affected her actions. Anthy, who appears as a fellow student, doesn't have that same authority.

In a way, by pretending to be the total victim all the time and so nice nice about everything, she's almost worse.

Akio, at least, never really pretends to be picked on, the poor super-nice guy the mean meanies are teasing and harassing.

Anthy messing with Nanami is horrible. And after the Miki-is-a-snail realization, I've not been able to really see her relationship with him in a cheery light at all, except in that Miki's still cute.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#4 | Back to Top06-16-2014 11:11:46 AM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

I wonder what these lovely people think of the Usagi/Mamoru relationship in Sailor Moon. I mean, she was even younger than Utena when their relationship started.

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

And after the Miki-is-a-snail realization

...holy shit. HOW DID I NOT REALIZE THIS SOONER.

...and Saionji's the frog, right? GOD IT MAKES TOO MUCH SENSE.

#5 | Back to Top06-16-2014 11:43:05 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

We care about anything Tumblr said or did, ever? O_o

In any case, we had an "Akio = Rape" thread not so very long ago already, and I've no real wish to revisit the topic, but...

Akio would already be committing a flagrant grievous abuse of power even if he were only a normal human in a position of authority. The fact that he may also be an immortal, supernatural being planning a diabolical fate for Utena makes the imbalance of power far greater. No sane person could argue that what she was pulled into was the result of a free and informed choice, even if you believe that a child her age can make such a choice in the first place. In fact, I'd say at that particular moment she is at her least "informed" time in the show.

As for Anthy, I don't personally believe that she did anything sexual with the Student Council members in the series. There's no evidence to suggest that. People always love to try to establish an equivalency between Anthy and Akio in terms of bad behavior, but I could write an essay about the difference in Anthy and Akio's natures and the forms they take (self-denial vs. self-indulgence would be its theme). However, let's not.

There's actually a better case to be made in the movie, because Movie Anthy is, essentially...a more benevolent Series Akio. She's the one orchestrating the duels in the movie for her own reasons and with her own goals (to find a true prince, replacing the false prince of her brother). However, her motivations aren't purely selfish, as she shows in the way she heals Movie Utena's emotional wounds. Still, she is still a being with supernatural power and knowledge who is getting the duelists to fight while offering them empty promises of reward. (That reward will only go to the one she selects as her prince, which is none of them!) Whether she actually is doling out sexual favors to the duel winners is actually a murky question, because the two individuals who say so, herself and Touga, both have reasons to lie about it. Touga did lie, in fact, in order to pull Utena away from Anthy and back toward himself, and Anthy could be lying to test Utena. But that's only a  possibility. It makes more sense to accept at face value that she is actually "entertaining" the winners sexually. In this case however it is at least upfront.

Last edited by Aelanie (06-16-2014 12:46:41 PM)

#6 | Back to Top06-16-2014 05:52:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm actually about to go to work so this isn't the time for the full rant, but apparently people on Tumblr actually think I don't think what Akio's doing is sexual abuse, and that I'm apologizing for his behavior and blah blah. It's actually pretty offensive to hurtful, given that I have an entire shrine devoted to how much of a jerk I think he is. Is my condemnation of his behavior a little less venomous? Yess....that's because I THINK IT'S HOTTER THAT WAY. (Go on, kink-shame me. I DARE YOU.)

The crux of the issue is that I describe a lot of the acts as sex, instead of rape. There's a reason for that. Aside from that it's obvious if you read the content that I think it's rape, I don't like to use the term because for me it distracts from the actual conflict his behavior creates. Which isn't about rape. The damage Akio does is in where his victims see, whether it's real or not, their consent. Utena's traumatized by the events of episode 33 not from a sense that she was violated, but from the perception that she allowed them to unfold as they did. Calling it rape underplays the sense (illusory though it is) of free agency she had. Yasha says that I'm kind of a relic there, that these days calling it rape is a definition and won't distract from that argument. Hey, maybe so; I'm a relic. Calling it rape ten years ago would have implied a completely different interpretation that robs Utena of any perceived decision in the events. (Which was also a legitimate interpretation and still is. Seriously, it's a very subjective show no matter how you peel it.)

That said, if what Akio does to Utena is rape, he literally rapes god damn everyone he fucks. He rapes Anthy, who despite being his age is in a 'forced' submissive position. He rapes Touga, who IS ALSO UNDERAGE AND SO NOT CONSIDERED ABLE TO CONSENT TO CONSTANTLY GETTING RAMRODDED IN THE ASS WHILE DISCUSSING MANIPULATION PLOTS. He rapes Kozue, WHO IS EVEN YOUNGER THAN UTENA BUT NO ONE EVER REMEMBERS THIS.

Probably the only person he doesn't rape in any way is Kanae's mother. That's a weird situation, you could perversely argue it's her 'taking advantage' of him. She certainly pretends that's how it is, even when they know better.

But it is kind of a double standard, especially with Touga. Which is funny, because the two year difference isn't what I think magically makes people view him as a consenting party--it's his behavior, and his penis.

Anyway, long story short, Tumblr: AKIO IS A RAPIST. YES. I KNOW.

He's just a way more nuanced and sexy rapist than, say, the one in Irreversible. emot-biggrin

Oh, and I do get to fetishize and joke about rape. Because guess what! I was raped! So none of that 'I don't know what it's like because I need to check my non-raped privilege' or something.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top06-16-2014 09:02:23 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

Gio, sweetheart, chill. As you yourself kept pointing out, what you were arguing and the points you raised were an entirely different subject to what those -people- were bitching about. Also, said people were so barely that they kept screaming about how Akio's actions were illegal... Without even considering that Akio didn't actually break any laws in <i>Japan.</> You know, where the series was made for an audience that was also Japanese. But that's, like, omg, like sooo not, like, gotta do with anything or sooo, not, like, going to have any bearing whatsoever on the characters or their actions and the implications there of.

Honestly, these people couldn't reason their way out of a wet paper bag. I'd be upset too if I had to deal with those mouthbreathers and their stupidity, but I think that you handled it well. Better certainly than I ever could. Also, you've spent <i>years</i> working on all things SKU. I may not agree with you on all of said things, but if you have an opinion on x I know that I have to work very hard to counter argue and that anything I come up with has to be good.

Tl;dr: keep doing what you're doing. You're all right.

#8 | Back to Top06-16-2014 10:03:27 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

crystalwren wrote:

Also, said people were so barely that they kept screaming about how Akio's actions were illegal... Without even considering that Akio didn't actually break any laws in Japan. You know, where the series was made for an audience that was also Japanese. But that's, like, omg, like sooo not, like, gotta do with anything or sooo, not, like, going to have any bearing whatsoever on the characters or their actions and the implications there of.

Perfectly stated and to the point.  The series came out before 1999.  Depending on Ohtori’s location the sex was likely completely legal for its time, place, and setting (his highly publicly engagement to Kanae, a student, is what makes Akio the Acting Chairman).

And kudos to whomever mentioned the Sailor Moon couple upthread, cause their age gap is near identical to that of Akio (human identity age 18-19) and Utena (age 14).

As for Utena + consent . . . Utena's first glimpse of Akio was of him making out with Kanae.  She knew he was an engaged man from the get go.  Any non mentally handicapped 14 yr old knows how hurtful an action it is to have an affair anther female’s boyfriend, let alone a wedding-bound fiancé.  She was treading into homewrecker territory and she knew it.

In the Barefoot Girl Episode, Utena even told Akio that she think/know he is “bad” . . . right before she let him romance her (at a public spot, even).  The relevant scenes sets it up so that Utena’s action directly mirrors that of Mrs. Ohtori: both knew they would be hurting Kanae by having an affair Akio, but both went ahead with it anyway to sate their own emotional/physical needs. 

Utena’s affair with Akio is meant to showcase both moral lapsing and willful blindness on her part.  There is even the scene where she recognized Akio’s car to be the one showing up around the duels, but decided not to pursue it further just so she could keep the affair going.  The only thing she truly did not know going into the affair was that Akio had a sexual relationship with his sister Anthy. 

Now, does Akio’s omission of his relationship with Anthy made the sex with Utena rape?  Some think so, using words like dubcon and such. 

However, if using lies/omission of facts to get sex from willing/eager partners can be called rape, then the following characters are likewise rapists:

Shiori:  She told nameless boy that Juri loved another while she herself thought Juri loved him, then getting a sexual relationship out of it.   She then lied her way into a sexual relationship with Ruka.  Sure, Ruka saw through her lie and played along with her, but that does not change the fact that she has both the motive and the action to constitute her “raping” him.  Does that make her a serial rapist?

Kozue:  She faked interest in god know how many boys just to make Miki pay attention to her.  She had sex with all those boys who got deceived into thinking she was somewhat interested in them.  Wouldn’t that make her a . . . wait, she really is a rapist.  See EP 26 where she rapes Anthy right in the middle of the duel.  Gee, I wonder how come almost no self-rigeous Tumblr SJW ever mentions her during their rabid SKU rapist hunt.  Could it be because Kozue is non-male and thus exempt from their male-targeting scrutiny?

Anthy: Who can forget her literally screwing Mikage for decades with her “Mamiya” deception?  And the way she “sealed” Dios in that sexually charged scene . . . and how Akio said she is making him suffer after their having sex, hinting that that spousal/sibling rape goes both ways.   So by this logic I guess those Anthy apologists on Tumblr are all really rape apologists just like the “Akio did not rape Utena” theorists they so love to bash.  Who knew?

Hypocrisy much, anyone?

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (06-17-2014 01:24:27 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#9 | Back to Top06-17-2014 08:14:48 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

crystalwren wrote:

Also, you've spent <i>years</i> working on all things SKU. I may not agree with you on all of said things, but if you have an opinion on x I know that I have to work very hard to counter argue and that anything I come up with has to be good.

Tl;dr: keep doing what you're doing. You're all right.

It's really Yasha fighting the good fight on Tumblr. I stay away from it mostly because I'm oversensitive to things like this. She is an angel, she listens to my shit, and then deals with theirs. etc-love

I've never suggested I should be the authority on SKU, and I'm stoked to see people with different opinions and love it when you guys argue with me. There's an amount of taking it personal that I think is just the nature of this particular beast, though. It's incredibly difficult to view the show from a lens apart from the one warped by your own life, and I understand that and realize it informs a lot of the vitriol on Tumblr. A lot of people interpret Juri as a strong female character because they need to believe that strength is there for themselves. People need to believe Utena did not on any level consent to sleeping with Akio, because, well. For me? I have to believe Saionji's anger at the world is born from an essential understanding of it and disappointment in it. Because otherwise my desire to act in a similar manner is pathological with no rationale.

People on this forum have argued very strongly, very from the heart about many things, but I rarely have seen someone suggest that their way is the only legitimate interpretation and that others are just seeing it wrong. Sonder is the realization that everyone around you is living in a world as vivid and personal as your own. Tumblr could use a bit of that when it comes to SKU.

And you're right, at the end of the day the technical legality of his behavior is completely moot. If he was in Angola (age of consent is 12) his actions would be no less deplorable. The illusion that the wrongness of an action relies on its legality or lack thereof is how wall street bankers sleep at night. And trust me if you're not already there. By the time your 30, finances feel exactly like god damn rape all the time. emot-mad

Also, I'm going to throw something out there with regards to how the current Tumblr language might do its own good intentions harm. We teach young girls that physically forced sex is rape, with the implication that they would never actually consent to this, so their concept of consent needn't be addressed. If we're careful we tell them 'any contact you don't want is rape.' Now, this is true, but it doesn't teach young folks what the point of consent is. We assume they are incapable of it, and it is legally supported to be true, and something most of us can agree with. There's a problem here, though. By in every way making the decision for them, we're not teaching young women how to decide for themselves if the contact they are getting is acceptable. We're saying none is acceptable at that age. Fine! But that doesn't just turn off like a light switch when they hit twenty and go to college. Young women know rape is bad and they don't have to tolerate it, but we've not practiced what we want to preach about how they decide what's tolerable and how they assert their control over the fate of their own body. This is how we get women being raped because they did consent, didn't want to, and didn't know how to say so or even believe they could in the absence of overwhelming assault. Sex isn't like drugs. You can't teach 'just say no,' and be done with it without stunting their long term sexual development and ultimately doing a piss poor job of teaching them when and why they can or would say no.

Telling girls 'you can't actually decide for yourself whether this is okay we're going to decide for you' is setting them up for exactly the kind of predator Akio is. We've not taught young people when and how they can say yes, so we're by implication telling them they can't say no either. It's a kind of absence of self-determination that's well meaning on society's part, but needs to be tread more carefully than it is, and with less explicit language. I do think it should be illegal for an adult man to fuck a 14 year old girl, and she should be aware of that. But that is no protection for her. Protection, even at that tender age, is almost entirely about self-empowerment and an understanding of your own right to determine what happens to you. I think we're trying to help, but we're not doing it very well.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top06-17-2014 02:31:06 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Anyway, I think we need more words to describe different forms of sexual abuse. Lying your way into someone's pants doesn't always mean you had sex without someone's consent.  I also think it's possible to agree to have sex with someone and feel traumatized with no manipulation used by the sexual partner, for example imagine a young woman with no sex education that agrees to have painful sex with her beloved one because she has no idea it's supposed to be pleasurable to her. Her partner may not be aware of her experience.

I may consent to sleep with someone and think "Hey, I didn't agreed to THAT" for various reasons. A lot of people may agree that sex that was too rough was rape, because the person didn't consent to do that kind of things. What about the sex that wasn't rough enough? So, when we reframe that "I didn't agreed to THAT", the unsatisfying sex is rape, because no one gave consent to be sexually frustrated.

So.. to me,  Utena wasn't raped, but was sexually abused. Her sexuality was used against her, not ignored by Akio.

#11 | Back to Top06-25-2014 04:55:51 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

There's a double standard at work here, I think. Many of these people are perfectly willing to call Kozue a strong female character for the way she uses her sexuality, even though she's even YOUNGER than Utena and still sleeps with Akio. Seems a bit Madonna/Whore complex-y for me: it's alright for a "bad girl" to get involved in dangerous situations of her own consent, because "it'll larn her," but for our "good girl" protagonist, it's rape?

#12 | Back to Top06-26-2014 04:29:07 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

I think the nail was hit on the head once Yasha mentioned the difference between rape and statutory rape. That's an important distinction when definitions of things are being discussed. And it's interesting that saying you agree it wasn't okay and that you're not defending Akio wasn't enough to settle the argument.

Kozue doesn't get the same interpretation as Utena because she didn't have such a clear-cut scene of doubt. Kozue puts on a good show, but it's questionable how many of the guys she slept with she actually wanted to sleep with. Her promiscuity comes from the issues she has and that was addressed in the series. Kozue is ignoring her feelings or 'handling' them in a different way than Utena, who is closer to them and thus we see her questioning her decision. Which is to say, yeah, why aren't we so passionately talking about Kozue, too? But you know, Utena's the protagonist and you're allowed to have favourites.

And Gio raises an interesting point. I'm wondering where will all this social justice and political correctness lead to. Tumblr is only a small chunk of the western world, but it still has its influence and I wonder if arguing about semantics is going to improve anything. Words are powerful and the language we use influences how we see the world, definitely. At the end of the road, the goal is for young people to be able to identify when they are in a situation in which they ought to say no and impersonal rules which apply to everyone in a certain age group may not be enough of an incentive for people within that age group to say no. But that's where the talk about whether you want it or not comes in. The rest is up to them, I guess. Perhaps it's important to have both conversations. The distinction between rape and statutory rape.

#13 | Back to Top06-26-2014 07:21:52 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Arki wrote:

And Gio raises an interesting point. I'm wondering where will all this social justice and political correctness lead to. Tumblr is only a small chunk of the western world, but it still has its influence

Does tumblr really have a significant influence? Mostly it's just an overlarge image repository or blogging platform. I don't think a huge amount of people are really looking to it for guidance. In particular, how many actual tumblrs have any genuine influence on anyone who doesn't have a tumblr or isn't there just for one fandom or another?

As to worries the world will get too politically correct or something, it's a reddit world out there. Unlike tumblr, people do seem to pay attention if a celeb does an open q&a via reddit, or when people keep collecting creepshots, etc. 4chan gets press, if nothing else, mainstream press. "White knight" entering the lexicon is a little more annoying, to me, than the fear that "cis" might become more prevalent, though the dismissive use of "cisgendered" does seem to be growing online. Motherless and such get a ridiculous number of visits per day. As annoying as some "social justice warrior" or even a little clan of them may be, the bigger internet basically is rape-while-unconscious porn and youtube commenters telling it like it is. Facebook is still likely to keep a pro-rape public group running and take down pictures of baby belly or two men kissing.

The debate over whether a fifteen year old show's fictional ungodly-old magic man seducing teenagers is rape or merely cruel is a really niche, very drop in the bucket thing.

I wouldn't start worrying the world, or the internet, are going to get "too PC" any time soon.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#14 | Back to Top06-27-2014 06:36:52 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Does tumblr really have a significant influence? Mostly it's just an overlarge image repository or blogging platform. I don't think a huge amount of people are really looking to it for guidance. In particular, how many actual tumblrs have any genuine influence on anyone who doesn't have a tumblr or isn't there just for one fandom or another?

I would say Tumblr exerts its influence the most when you participate in the community. As any community, it has it's unwritten rules, accepted truths, humor and opinions. Someone who has just entered the community may have their opinions changed. Or they may not. Whether or not that is significant influence, I wouldn't know. The fandom side of it is significant enough for shows to have official Tumblrs, interacting with fans and even, I would guess, sniffing out what is the general response to certain creative directions of a show. It's significant enough for someone to pay attention to it and for people to know exactly what kind of crowd is the Tumblr crowd. On a global scale, that might not be much, but we can assume, for example, that a social justice blogger's opinions do not turn off when their computer does. And that includes all those who have had their opinions changed through their influence.

As for political correctness... Political correctness =/= better world. So whatever worry that may be felt is related to the fact that even if the world becomes politically correct, but the same attitudes remain underneath all the sterile language, all the effort put into expressing yourself in a certain way won't mean much and may even make problems more difficult to detect, because it will be more subtle.

[/kind of off-topic]

Board footer