This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-04-2013 02:08:41 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Re: RoseCon 2014: We tried so hard and got so far, but RC is off this year

Will go alone. Not that I don't love you all, I'm just really OCD about personal space.

Hopefully it'll be in the same hotel though, so I can just hop up to the top floor and gaze over Montreal with everyone repeatedly. Sounds cool.

I'm shocked by the price though, actually. It seems cheap to me too. I guess hotels around me in DC are pretty overpriced as well though.

#27 | Back to Top10-04-2013 03:09:23 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mocha's house idea might be smart.  It seems way cheaper on a per-person basis -- click through her link to see what I mean.  And all of us under one roof with no one to tell us to quiet down?  Cool etc-love

#28 | Back to Top10-04-2013 05:30:46 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

A house is cool, especially if we found a nice one. And might make me think twice about getting my hotel room (although, honestly, I still probably would.... it's really and OCD thing on my part, no joke).

16 people (or even just like 14 if one or two get seperate hotel rooms) is a lot for many houses though. And, also, I have no clue what Montreal is like but if the goal is to have everyone in walking distance of everything, I don't know if the houses one could rent are well set up for that downtown. I certainly wouldn't mind people looking into house renting though, if they wanted to. It would be cheaper per person. And it would have a pretty cool house party vibe.

#29 | Back to Top10-04-2013 06:06:07 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

I am fucking in!

I missed Seattle's Rose-Con due to me being an idiot, I totally regret that.

I want in and I have a valid Passport!

I assume that this will be at some point in August? I would like to vote for a date after the 16/17th of the month, also I will be taking grad school classes at the time, and have no idea when they would be for optimal planning purposes; but besides that I do not have any other considerations.

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#30 | Back to Top10-04-2013 07:02:36 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mocha, what happened to your post with the awesome link about houses to rent?  I can't remember what the website was emot-frown

#31 | Back to Top10-04-2013 08:31:08 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

satyreyes wrote:

Mocha, what happened to your post with the awesome link about houses to rent?  I can't remember what the website was emot-frown

I deleted it. But the site was Airbnb.com. There were a few places that looked like they were central to the area y'all are looking at. I just picked a random date in August of next year, and then filtered by whole house/apartment instead of single room, and then by Ville-Marie. You could also check out HomeAway.com, they're recommended by several bloggers I follow, but I'm not really familiar with them, tbh. You could also try Craigslist, as they have a section for vacation rentals -but the site for Montreal is in French, and the English version is a bit spotty. So there's that.

Edit: Damn, this is swank 4 bedroom, about a mile from the Ville-Marie, and with good looking transport situation. If August is so crazy tho, it'll probs be on the 1600 side for the week, if not already booked. But still. Good stuff. HomeAway doesn't appear to let you narrow by neighborhood, like Airbnb does. But still, good options.

Edit los dosos: damn that tv is terrible tho

Last edited by MissMocha (10-04-2013 08:39:52 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#32 | Back to Top10-04-2013 10:07:44 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I think Gio and I are stuck on that panorama room. Then again, having access to a kitchen... hmm. I dunno. What's more fun, eating out at awesome restaurants you don't have back home, or cooking using awesome ingredients you can't get back home?

Seriously, worst vacation dilemma ever emot-gonk

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#33 | Back to Top10-05-2013 12:48:59 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Wow... This is epic.

I hope that I will be able to attend. emot-frown I'm working two jobs right now, so I shouldn't have any trouble saving money... but I can't say for sure if I will be able to come until at least February or March... Hopefully there will still be a spot left then.

And if I am able to come, I'd definitely be up for rooming with somebody! emot-keke

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#34 | Back to Top10-05-2013 11:32:55 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

I just thought of something -- this is happening right around Otakon time, too. O_o

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#35 | Back to Top10-08-2013 04:55:42 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

I think Gio and I are stuck on that panorama room. Then again, having access to a kitchen... hmm. I dunno. What's more fun, eating out at awesome restaurants you don't have back home, or cooking using awesome ingredients you can't get back home?

Do we want to have to cook for 16 people in what is probably a small kitchen anyway? emot-gonk

onsenmark - Yeah it is, but so far people have mostly chosen RC over Otakon. Different thing entirely, I promise. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#36 | Back to Top10-08-2013 11:00:16 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Yasha wrote:

Do we want to have to cook for 16 people in what is probably a small kitchen anyway? emot-gonk

onsenmark - Yeah it is, but so far people have mostly chosen RC over Otakon. Different thing entirely, I promise. emot-smile

I know it is, but for me, Otakon would be CHEAPER. emot-keke;

I guess I'll have to settle for the annual "a.f.u. no Breakfast" during Otakon, then. :/

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#37 | Back to Top10-10-2013 12:34:25 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

OKAY SO.

If people are flexible as to date ranges, I vote for earlier in August. Because then we can see the Montreal International Fireworks Competition. This is a pretty big event on the Canadian calendar, the kind of thing my coworkers foam at the mouth over not being able to make it to. I'd love to check it out.

Veering between 'French as unholy hell' restaurants and 'lol Canada lol' restaurants. We actually have done the straight French thing at Balthazar, so maybe lol Canada, which is to say horrifying excess. Canada grows cows, lobsters, and hockey players, and two of those things are regularly put on dinner plates. (amirite) People in Montreal seem very fond of Joe Beef (which is someone Bourdain went so I have to dig up that episode). Unfortunately it's hard to see menus because it changes a lot. The idea seems to be PILES OF FOIE GRAS ON PILES OF LOBSTERS ON PILES OF STEAKS which is...you know, delicious.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#38 | Back to Top10-10-2013 12:42:33 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Canada grows cows, lobsters, and hockey players, and two of those things are regularly put on dinner plates. (amirite) People in Montreal seem very fond of Joe Beef . . .

Which team does Joe Beef play for?

Anytime in August is fine with me.

#39 | Back to Top10-10-2013 08:59:23 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I /love/ fireworks.

Just saying.

#40 | Back to Top10-10-2013 01:12:12 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Fireworks would be awesome, but if it could not be between August 2nd and August 9th... that would be good.  Mind, I still haven't even gotten the paperwork in for my passport (bleh) and it is something I could probably work around, but... I would really rather not.  It could be a determining factor for whether or not I'd be able to make it.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#41 | Back to Top10-17-2013 06:21:42 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Stormy and I are setting our sights for going. Will have to check to make sure but it will be soon. Would love to see everyone again!

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#42 | Back to Top10-17-2013 08:32:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

Canada grows cows, lobsters, and hockey players, and two of those things are regularly put on dinner plates. (amirite) People in Montreal seem very fond of Joe Beef . . .

Which team does Joe Beef play for?

Anytime in August is fine with me.

Joe Beef plays for all of the above. The Canadian appetite for excess is at least as impressive as the American one, if in different ways. The obesity problem is getting worse, but overall isn't as bad, because every Canadian is required to play hockey for an hour a day. Joe Beef's menu varies, but at on a GIS I found one with two foie gras dishes and one that involves squash blossoms. These gifts of the gods are a secret that once you know, will become your mission to find every summer. (Hint, you need a friend with a garden or to live in Florida and be willing to sneak into zucchini fields in the middle of the night. The latter is historically how my family did this.)

Hmm, if that earlier stretch takes you off the map, Kita, then we might go with mid-month. The downside of aiming for the fireworks festival is we'd be catching the very tail end of it anyway, and I don't know much about how to attend or if catching only one display is worth moving RC around. Such that excludes folks? Nope.

#43 | Back to Top10-19-2013 06:15:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

lex wrote:

Stormy and I are setting our sights for going. Will have to check to make sure but it will be soon. Would love to see everyone again!

Needs more domme stories, stat!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#44 | Back to Top10-20-2013 09:41:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh oh I wanna teach a class, too!

....I got nuthin. Anyone wanna learn about acute stroke treatment modalities and ECG strips? emot-frown

#45 | Back to Top10-21-2013 12:11:13 PM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

Yasha wrote:

lex wrote:

Needs more domme stories, stat!

Hahaha, yes! *nods* There will be plenty more. emot-smile

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#46 | Back to Top10-21-2013 01:27:52 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Giovanna wrote:

Oh oh I wanna teach a class, too!

....I got nuthin. Anyone wanna learn about acute stroke treatment modalities and ECG strips? emot-frown

I'll trade you. Show me some good post-first-aid info and I'll teach everyone how to juggle.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#47 | Back to Top10-24-2013 01:27:10 PM

Kita-Ysabell
Covert Diarist
Website

Aright, passport application submitted.  Current processing time is 4-6 weeks, or I could have paid $60 for expedited processing, but... I'd rather save it for... whatever else I'll need it for.

So it looks like I'm continuing to move forward on this.

"Et in Arcadio ego..."

#48 | Back to Top10-24-2013 01:30:51 PM

Nova
Phoenix Down

Nova on Monday wrote:

I'll trade you. Show me some good post-first-aid info and I'll teach everyone how to juggle.

Nothing. Okay, I'll leave the juggling props at home.

I have left this forum. If you wish to contact me, ask Ashnod or Satyreyes how I may be reached.

#49 | Back to Top11-03-2013 02:19:25 PM

jmie5
Precious One

Man, though I'm not able to commit at this moment and fully understand steadfast dedication is what this con needs, I am interested.  I haven't seen Montréal since 1999 or a fellow forum member since last February or so.   Though, to be fair, my sense of direction never helps.  Simply put, if I'm able to win my vacation bid, am not sapped dry by an impending move, and if I can somehow circumvent mandatory overtime, and there's a space left I'll let you guys know. etc-love

#50 | Back to Top11-06-2013 05:27:24 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

It'll be worth it. There will be poutine.

I'll be having some escargot at Balthazar this week in honor of RC1. emot-biggrin

Board footer