This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top08-22-2010 12:27:09 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: The Webcomic Thread (NWS on Page 3)

Works fine for me, but if it's not working for you just google the title.

And yes, it would probably be for the best if you didn't emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#27 | Back to Top08-22-2010 05:47:01 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Yasha wrote:

It's not a webcomic, but it is a comic, and it is on the interwobs. It's called 'The Enigma of Amigara Fault', by Junji Ito.

Click here if you never want to sleep again.

emot-gonk
But...i've found my hole! ITS MY HOLE! IT WAS MADE FOR ME!! *scuttles off into the mountain-side*

After reading that comic some time ago i never wanted to sleep again and even had a terrible dream of the DRR DRR DRR guy from the end smacking himself againced my bedroom window at night and just screaming at me......

never again.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#28 | Back to Top08-22-2010 08:16:53 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

That comic is the reason my friend likes to say DRR DRR DRR a lot.

We didn't think it was that creepy. emot-confused

#29 | Back to Top08-23-2010 06:12:16 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I have a touch of claustrophobia from when I was a kid and used to dream I was buried alive in a coffin, so to me, it's severely creepy. If it doesn't creep you out, go you for not being a scaredy-cat! emot-keke

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#30 | Back to Top08-23-2010 06:29:28 PM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Well sleep isnt all that important. Is it? On a completely unrelated note a mountain phobia was invented today by some guy, somewhere who totally isnt me...

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#31 | Back to Top08-23-2010 06:43:07 PM

Koshernova
Touga Topper
Website

Two pages worth and no mention of the inimitable Cat and Girl? I love it so much I got the first two books in print. It's that good. (if you're a cultural studies/sociologist/feminist/queer/which I am... it's also good if you aren't, I hear!)

Then there's the great but seldom-updated Venus Envy, a comic about the high school adventures of a trans girl and her friends. It's quite good. Helped me out a lot a few years ago when I was coming out.

Do check out Planet Karen! It's a diary comic by a goth girl who lives in Bristol, her thoughts on pop culture, struggles with depression and trying to make sense of a mad world. Listen, Gail Simone loves this comic, so you know you gotta give it a shot. (Gail Simone = wondrous feminist comic book writer, has written for Birds of Pray, Wonder Woman, and more. In other words, this comic is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. Karen is also, uh, my friend. And I'm now drinking out of a Planet Karen mug...)

Finally, the surreal, minimalist, oft-disturbing  pictures for sad children.

#32 | Back to Top08-23-2010 07:44:37 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Yasha wrote:

I have a touch of claustrophobia from when I was a kid and used to dream I was buried alive in a coffin, so to me, it's severely creepy. If it doesn't creep you out, go you for not being a scaredy-cat! emot-keke

I'm a scardy cat about other things.

Maybe it's because I can't see the DRR guy without thinking of my friend waving her arms around and saying DRR DRR DRR.

#33 | Back to Top08-24-2010 01:17:31 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Yasha wrote:

It's not a webcomic, but it is a comic, and it is on the interwobs. It's called 'The Enigma of Amigara Fault', by Junji Ito.

Click here if you never want to sleep again.

I loved Junji Ito's "Uzumaki" etc-loveetc-loveetc-love my favorite manga by far.

And back to webcomics, I particularly enjoy (aside XKCD and A Softer World) Nice Hair, a parody of Neil Gaiman, (gay!)Tim Burton and (obese!)Robert Smith sharing a flat.

#34 | Back to Top09-08-2010 12:09:05 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Okay, this isn't exactly a webcomic I like... but it is interesting for me because it's easy to pick out the good and bad points.

Dominic Deegan

I'm only in 2005 right now, so I have another five years to catch up on. We'll see how that goes. cool

The Good:

The author's drawing style gets better as time goes on and it's cool to see it progress.
Interesting ideas about the architecture of the metaphysical.
Author knows some of the jokes are groaners and doesn't try to hide it.
Reasonable attempts at twists.

The Bad:

Most of the jokes are groaners.
Family reunions in this comic must be like hell-- I'm not even going to try to explain, it's too convoluted and every badguy has tried to kill/sleep with some member of the goodguy's family at some point.
The main character is SO AWESOME IT HURTS and even gets panels where he looks at the reader smugly.
Learning anything takes literally no time at all. No wonder I can speak Japanese, Spanish, Polish, and build EM and the forums from scratch-- OH WAIT.

So.... yeah. I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure whether it's 'love to hate' enjoyment or 'guilty pleasure' enjoyment. Regardless, a lot of work has gone into it and I salute the author's tenacity.

#35 | Back to Top09-19-2010 04:07:44 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Not sure how many of you know about the webcomic "Family Man".

But, I came across this page, Page 175
I can't help but think of Mylene and Satyr, every time I came across this page.
And it made me smile emot-smile I think one of the things that fascinated me about history is that we're not so different from our predecessors in so many little yet significant ways.

Last edited by Hiraku (09-19-2010 04:08:29 PM)

#36 | Back to Top09-19-2010 04:24:13 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Thanks for sharing that, Hiraku!  I'm going to have to share it with my cataloging-loving coworkers, not to mention point it out on AUTOCAT (cataloging listserv) on Friday (the day when such postings are allowed.). etc-love

#37 | Back to Top09-19-2010 04:45:17 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

No prob, Mylene!
I just simply love how Family Man describes the structures of university (and its library) in the older days! emot-biggrin

#38 | Back to Top09-22-2010 09:11:51 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Double posting! (sorry)

But I came across this comic, drawn by the same artist who drew the librarian from "Family Man" (www.lutherlevy.com)

I loved this one-shot, because it described how I felt at a few points in my life between me and my friends in the past. I lost touch with them, too, overtime. But... kinda just have to move on. :-/ Yeah... this comic clicked with me.

Click

#39 | Back to Top09-24-2010 12:35:17 PM

poetoffire
Mikage Mistruster

One of my favorites is No Rest For The Wicked, a fascinating epic using the Grimm versions of fairy tales to their finest.  It's hilarious, amazingly-written, and when it gets intense and creepy...it gets REALLY intense and creepy.

Oh, and did I mention the author's an SKU fan and there's an "End of the World" reference in there?

It's about Princess November, of the Princess and the Pea, a girl so frail and sensitive she hasn't been able to sleep a wink since the moon disappeared from the sky.  She goes questing with Puss and Boots and a disturbed Little Red Riding Hood who won't say what happened that night with her granny but carries around and ax and has dozens of wolf pelts in her cottage.

It's a gorgeous story.

It hasn't updated in over a year, but what's there already is mindblowing.

http://www.forthewicked.net/

#40 | Back to Top09-30-2010 09:29:35 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm definitely gonna have to check that one out, poet. I love me some fairytales emot-keke

But... I dunno, I feel like I must have been missing something here-- I just discovered The Oatmeal, and it seems incomprehensible to me that anyone could not know about it.

Actually, The Oatmeal reminds me very much of a less surreal, more lucid Perry Bible Fellowship, and I know that one's got a lot of fans here.

Edit: Oh my god. Five Super Neat Ways to Use a Hooker is the best thing I've seen all week.

Last edited by Yasha (09-30-2010 09:37:59 AM)

#41 | Back to Top09-30-2010 10:19:16 AM

lieutenant tangerine
Miki Molester

Yasha wrote:

used to dream I was buried alive in a coffin

Yasha's subconscious has always been having Touga-related fantasies. emot-biggrin

#42 | Back to Top09-30-2010 11:30:45 AM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Yasha wrote:

Edit: Oh my god. Five Super Neat Ways to Use a Hooker is the best thing I've seen all week.

Wait a minute, "Oatmeal"?! Were they the same people who made THIS?
Because I love this video to the DEATH! Why Twilight is Popular

#43 | Back to Top11-17-2010 11:18:15 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Double post!
I was just wondering, how many of you know "Happletea"?
Because the comic is awesome! I just finished everything from the first strip to the latest. It's cute and funny and lol and not to mention carries a kernel of truth that makes you think about things: http://happletea.com/
And, God is a cat.

#44 | Back to Top11-17-2010 11:43:56 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

I'm quite an avid reader of both the Oatmeal and Happle Tea XD

#45 | Back to Top11-18-2010 04:55:46 PM

oryx
New Student
Website

i read homestuck, hanna is not a boy's name, and boxer hockey pretty religiously~
i used to read phoenix requiem as well, but gradually lost interest. i just couldn't get into it like i got into inverloch ):
also, i doubt that it counts as a webcomic, but hyperbole and a half is the funniest thing on the internet. i just. i cannot even.

#46 | Back to Top11-18-2010 05:39:30 PM

winksniper
Qualified Duellist

oryx wrote:

i read homestuck, hanna is not a boy's name, and boxer hockey pretty religiously~
i used to read phoenix requiem as well, but gradually lost interest. i just couldn't get into it like i got into inverloch ):
also, i doubt that it counts as a webcomic, but hyperbole and a half is the funniest thing on the internet. i just. i cannot even.

I love hyperbole and a half!  etc-love

#47 | Back to Top11-19-2010 12:57:29 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Damn you, Questionable Content. DAMN YOU.

emot-gonkemot-gonk

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#48 | Back to Top11-21-2010 05:53:01 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Ashnod wrote:

Damn you, Questionable Content. DAMN YOU.

emot-gonkemot-gonk

It seems to be "have bad things happen in webcomics"-month. Naal'suul probably dead and demon-possessed in Drowtales, Antimony caught cheating at school in Gunnerkrigg Court...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#49 | Back to Top11-22-2010 07:42:42 PM

innermuse
Anthy Assailer
Website

As for what I like

Sorcery 101, strays, phionex requiem, the locked maze ( a webcomic on deviantart), Xylia tales, and zombie hunters!

#50 | Back to Top12-06-2010 07:40:18 PM

Koshernova
Touga Topper
Website

Oh! I just discovered Khaos Komix. It's a wondrous LGBTQ comic about, uh, a bunch of LGBTQ young people and their interweaving stories. It's really cool, except it only updates once a week or so... so once you catch up, the frustration sets in.

But hey, the writing is quite good and the art is lovely. And it's a very positive comic overall. Link NSFW (the donor wallpapers are basically pr0n): http://www.khaoskomix.com/

Board footer