This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#126 | Back to Top11-08-2007 07:48:21 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Re: The Great Body Parting (Videogame Trivia)

I did some soul searching and came up with this tricky NES question. Not too sure about the Sega Genesis version, so we shall go with the NES version...

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Sternum (Makes for a pretty Goth charm!)
Today's question is: In the NES game Toki, what is the name of the creature who captured Toki's beloved? (Bonus points if you know the name of the girl, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you can name the shaman who cursed Toki!)

Get to guessing! You never know what will be next!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#127 | Back to Top11-08-2007 08:01:21 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It was Dr. Fred!  Dr. Fred kidnapped Toki's beloved, whose name was Sandy, and held her on his crazy estate.  Everyone involved is cursed by the Purple Meteor!

...Okay, fine, so that was a completely different game, and his name isn't Toki so much as Dave, but dammit I wanted to win this one.  emot-mad

#128 | Back to Top11-08-2007 08:02:31 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

You played Maniac Mansion? Coolness in 31 flavours of awesomesauce!

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#129 | Back to Top11-13-2007 07:07:28 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Er... Dyepez, are you BioKraze in an Ecuadorian disguise?  (Bio, the jig is up!  emot-tongue)

#130 | Back to Top11-13-2007 08:12:09 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

No, but he played UFO: Enemy Unknown. That counts for something in my book. But if he wants to make a good guess at what the answers are, he's welcome to.

And you all have two days to answer the question, so get cracking!

Last edited by BioKraze (11-13-2007 08:13:05 PM)

#131 | Back to Top11-14-2007 02:23:21 AM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

BioKraze wrote:

No, but he played UFO: Enemy Unknown. That counts for something in my book. But if he wants to make a good guess at what the answers are, he's welcome to.

And you all have two days to answer the question, so get cracking!

All I know is that Toki was the game with the monkey spitting energy balls.

#132 | Back to Top11-14-2007 11:10:55 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

We have a winner! Congratulations on winning your first BioKraze body part, Dyepez! You also get 10 bonus Internets and poptartpoptartpoptart for guessing the other two!

For the curious, the answers are:

For the body part: Bashtar
For the Internets: Miho
For the Poptarts: Vookimedlo

The Final Question will now appear three body parts from now. So keep your eyes peeled for the next question!

#133 | Back to Top11-14-2007 11:25:26 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well, since there's only one Internets, we duplicate it using our handy cloning device and give them out like candy at Halloween. You can eat the flaming Poptarts if you wish, but be sure to put the fire out before you do so! emot-keke

#134 | Back to Top11-16-2007 03:47:38 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Review the entire thread to see what I've parted out!

#135 | Back to Top11-18-2007 11:35:34 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

satyreyes, your answers to the last question have inspired me! Thank you for your efforts!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Sacrum (Never been broken, how's that for good care?)
Today's question is: In Maniac Mansion, name one of three ways to kill the kids with pool water! (Bonus points if you can name two ways, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you can name all three!)

#136 | Back to Top11-18-2007 11:49:17 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Drain the pool, then let it refill while one of them is standing in it.

Make the pool water radioactive.

I don't remember the third one.  emot-frown

Edit: OH OH!  Feed it to the carnivorous plant, then get the kids too close!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-18-2007 11:49:46 AM)

#137 | Back to Top11-18-2007 11:59:12 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

One and done, satyr. You got the first one right, but the others don't work like that. Sorry! At least you get my sacrum, and that counts for something, though.

For the body part: Drown the kids by refilling the empty pool.
For the Internets: Microwave the pool water...radioactive steam!
For the Poptarts: Leave the pool drained too long, and the Mansion's reactor blows up the place!

The Final Question will now appear two body parts from now. So keep your eyes peeled for the next question!

Last edited by BioKraze (11-18-2007 12:00:02 PM)

#138 | Back to Top11-18-2007 12:10:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

One and done, satyr. You got the first one right, but the others don't work like that. Sorry! At least you get my sacrum, and that counts for something, though.

For the body part: Drown the kids by refilling the empty pool.

Woot!

BK wrote:

For the Internets: Microwave the pool water...radioactive steam!

Wow, I didn't know about that one!  That game is just full of Easter eggs.

BK wrote:

For the Poptarts: Leave the pool drained too long, and the Mansion's reactor blows up the place!

I knew that one, but it doesn't use the pool water.  emot-mad

#139 | Back to Top11-18-2007 12:16:16 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Of course it does! The pool water keeps the reactor's temperature at a constant safe level! That's why it's radioactive.

#140 | Back to Top11-18-2007 12:20:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ohhh!  I admit it, I never actually tried that, so I didn't know the justification.  I thought "the reactor explodes if you leave the pool drained too long" was just one of those weird illogical Maniac Mansion things, like "the mummy moves if you turn the shower on."

#141 | Back to Top11-18-2007 12:22:55 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Dark Secret: I never played the game. I used a FAQ to help me plan the question.

I do that sometimes. emot-gonk

#142 | Back to Top11-18-2007 12:26:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Awww!  Play the game!  You're depriving yourself of a really good time, old-school.  I say old-school because quite apart from the Quest for Glory-style graphics and point-and-click interface, Maniac Mansion was made before they discovered some fundamental principles of video game design, like "it should never be possible to lose a game and not know it."  Have a walkthrough handy.

#143 | Back to Top11-18-2007 04:17:16 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Most of this stuff I used off the top of my head, some of it needed research, but all of it is valid, no matter what anybody says. How else could I keep up with games I've never played unless I saw a FAQ or review for the game I've only heard of?

Strategy guides can be your friends too.

#144 | Back to Top11-18-2007 05:02:57 PM

Adrasteia
Memorial Hollerer
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Awww!  Play the game!  You're depriving yourself of a really good time, old-school.  I say old-school because quite apart from the Quest for Glory-style graphics and point-and-click interface, Maniac Mansion was made before they discovered some fundamental principles of video game design, like "it should never be possible to lose a game and not know it."  Have a walkthrough handy.

A wee bit off topic here, but I completely agree! Old DOS adventure games are too amazing for words, they're just so much fun. But putting 20-30 hours into a game and never realizing that, no, you shouldn't have killed that villager, is aggravating.

"Day of the Tentacle" is really great if you like point-and-click with a little bit of structure. emot-smile It's quite amusing, too.

#145 | Back to Top11-25-2007 05:41:03 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well, it's time for another Shadowgate question! I suspect that Red Angel shall claim victory with this...

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Metacarpals (gently used and approved for all ages!)
Today's question is: In Shadowgate, the Book reveals the secret of the spell Motari Riseth. What other secret pertinent to the endgame does it reveal? (Bonus points if you know which item to use to reveal this secret, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you can name the scroll which mentions the Staff of Ages!)

#146 | Back to Top11-26-2007 04:47:51 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

I've played both Shadowgate and Shadowrun, both at least 100 years ago though. Here goes nothing...

If I remember correctly, that particular book gives you a clue where to put the "bladed sun" item to open the way forward later on in the game. Oh, you need to use the glasses or you can't read the book. As for the last question, it's scroll #1 that talks about the Staff of Ages. I think that's it, but I have a feeling I may be completely wrong about one of them.

#147 | Back to Top11-26-2007 01:49:58 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

One and done, OnionPrince! You got all three questions correct! You win my Metacarpals, 25 bonus Internets and poptartpoptartpoptart !

For the body part: Where to use the Bladed Sun (Talisman)
For the Internets: Glasses
For the Poptarts: Scroll 1

The Final Question will occur one body part from now. So keep your eyes peeled for the next question!

#148 | Back to Top11-26-2007 04:15:43 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, I'm giving in to mental pressure and posting the penultimate question early. It's another Shadowgate question, so be prepared, my forum peeps!

Today's body part is: BioKraze's Corneas (Worn but serviceable goods!)
Today's question is: How do you assemble the Staff of Ages? (Bonus points if you know who to use it on, and 3 Flaming Poptarts if you know which item is needed to obtain the Staff item!)

#149 | Back to Top11-26-2007 10:58:08 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

Awesome! (Though I have a confession-- I may know a lot about video games, but I don't actually know what metacarpals are...emot-redface)

But I know all about corneas, and the answer to this question. You complete the Staff of Ages by first using the Golden Blade on the staff, and then the Silver Orb. When you get to the final room, you use it on the behemoth, not on the warlock. To get the staff in the first place, you need to use a magic wand on a snake, which transforms into the staff. (I remember worrying whether it would ever un-transform while in my inventory and bite me for yet another death screen.)

That's my answer and I'm stickin' to it!

#150 | Back to Top11-27-2007 10:03:18 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Awesome! You definitely know your Shadowgate, OnionPrince! You now have my corneas, 30 bonus Internets and poptartpoptartpoptart !

For the curious ones, the answers I scribed are:

For the body part: USE the Blade on the Staff, then USE the Orb on the Staff.
For the Internets: Use the Staff on the Behemoth, not the Warlock Lord!
For the Poptarts: The Wand, found in the castle balcony area.

The Final Question is up next! Can't you feel the tingling? So keep your eyes peeled with hopeful anticipation!

Board footer