This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top02-21-2017 09:11:03 AM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Art Improvement Thread

I searched and it appears nobody's made a thread like this before, so I'm sorry if I took someone's idea!
Anyway, recently I was looking back on my old sketchbooks and thinking... "I can't believe I was proud of this schlock." But in less pessimistic terms, it intrigued me how much I've improved, even if it doesn't feel like I have in the slightest. Anyone who does art is always slowly getting better, little by little, so it can come as a shock or a laugh to see something from a few years ago and think, "Oh my god what is this."
So I had an idea to make a thread where peeps can post (or reflect on, if you don't wanna outright show us the specific piece) their old artwork and can have a laugh and/or critique it kindly. We can all give each other tips on improving and be proud of the improvements we've made. All artforms are a-ok; writing, drawing, paining, music, voice acting, sculpting, everything! And if you don't wanna post any of your old stuff but still wanna comment here, that's perfectly fine too! (I know you guys'll be nice too because you're all super nice people emot-keke)
I would post my two examples here but I'm having trouble uploading images. emot-frown I guess I'm not the first victim (yet?). Anyway, I hope this can be a communicative and enjoyable thread!

Last edited by sailor-anthy (02-21-2017 09:12:27 AM)

This binch be postin' once every century

#2 | Back to Top02-22-2017 09:01:02 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Re: Art Improvement Thread

Yeah, sorry about the image posting, I have to dig into the code and see what changed. For now, just use imgur? It gives you the bbcode and everything (besides, I'd like to see your art emot-keke ).

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#3 | Back to Top02-25-2017 09:38:57 AM

Zerokohai
Mikage Mistruster

I did just make this today, but I thought this may be of interest. I modelled the rose signet ring from a certain show in Maya. Any and all critique is appreciated!

http://imgur.com/QBuNZFB

Last edited by Zerokohai (02-25-2017 09:40:21 AM)

http://i.imgur.com/5GUbWA1.png

#4 | Back to Top03-10-2017 09:48:42 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I can't really give any useful critique but I just wanted to say that's very cool!

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top07-08-2017 07:01:44 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

WOW I haven't posted on my own dang thread.
I'm not very versed in 3D modeling as well, but those look awesome Zerokohai!
I think tomorrow I'll finally post a "before and after" pic of one of my old characters, when I first drew them to now.

#6 | Back to Top09-12-2017 05:32:15 PM

Empress_Arcana
Rose Bride

Empress_Arcana wrote:

I think tomorrow I'll finally post a "before and after" pic

More like two months.
https://garlicjuice.tumblr.com/post/165 … -a-drawing
As shown on me blog, here's a drawing I did almost 3 years ago vs a quick "update" I did today. I've improved magically on the head-to-neck ratio, and I think the hands have noticeably improved too! My anatomy is still pretty wonky, so I have much to learn there.
I used to not be able to shade and light at ALL, but now I at least know where to place the two! (Er, mostly for shading. Lighting's still hard.) Digital art helped me learn and practice them because you could experiment with little clean up effort.
Hrm, what else... I made the socks look more like socks. That's a thing. Were they even socks before? I dunno.

Board footer