This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-16-2014 12:21:05 PM

Sleepwalker
New Student

Princess: The Hopeful RPG - SKU campaign?

I know this pen and paper fanmade game (based on White Wolf's New World of Darkness) has been around for several years, but i've just found it and i'm finding it really promising. How could you not love a setting in which the playing characters are magical girls(*)? etc-love

Fortunately the sourcebook avoids most of the angsty-wangsty elements of the WoD without turning the result into a sugar bowl, and the posibilities it offers are really cool: the authors mention Puella Magi Madoka (with the cosmic horror background, but less pessimistic) and Sailor Nothing as sources of inspiration. It shows... And the backstory includes an interesting shout out to Utena.

It goes like this: one of the Radiant Queens (the Big Good of the game world) is known as the 'Rose Bride', and her 'consort' is a prince (**) that fought for her love "in her very first life" and has been by her side since then across many timelines and incarnations. It seems that Anthy's in charge now, and that she's kicking ass big time. emot-wink

After reading this, i'm thinking about how could a campaign based and/or inspired in the Ohtoriverse be in this setting. If there is anybody here that knows about Princess and/or has played it suggestions would be very much welcome...

Updated version of the sourcebook: https://sites.google.com/site/princessthehopeful/home

Latest thread in RPGNet: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?718 … hth-Thread

TVTropes page: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/T … TheHopeful

(*) Yes, the term 'magical girl' or 'princess' also includes male characters here: however the existence of 'princes' is aknowledged, the sourcebook uses feminine by default. Which is quite nice, if you think about it.

(**) We all know that a prince doesn't necessary have to be a male, don't we?

Last edited by Sleepwalker (12-16-2014 12:21:57 PM)

#2 | Back to Top12-21-2014 07:13:04 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Re: Princess: The Hopeful RPG - SKU campaign?

emot-aaao

I would adore an Utena-inspired game, I really woooould. Are OCs welcome?

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#3 | Back to Top12-21-2014 04:55:58 PM

Sleepwalker
New Student

Anthiena wrote:

emot-aaao

I would adore an Utena-inspired game, I really woooould. Are OCs welcome?

Me too emot-smile

And i wish i had the means and the time (and the good english) to run an online game of Princess with other SKU fans... emot-frown This stuff is really good, and looks even better if you consider it's an amateur effort.

After all, the fluff gives a way of implementing Ohtori as a gaming scenario: there are rules for the 'dethroned', former princesses and princes that have lost their beliefs (Belief is the core morality stat of the setting). Usually, dethroned are just self-pitying, but some are outright insane and very, very dangerous. Furthermore, the most powerful of them have reality warping powers that allow them to create a 'fortress of regrets' shaped by their twisted desires. 

Following this, we could make Ahkio an ages old dethroned prince (and the brother of the Queen of Hearts, the Rose Bride i mentioned before), powerful and cunning enough to mantain an appearance of sanity and who rules the Academy as his very own and cozy fortress of regrets.

Since the core rules tells us that his sister is now back in her throne and with our favorite swordswoman by her side, we can assume that the campaign would take place after the end of the original story. It could be an utter mind screw inspired by fics like Archimage or Jacquemart, with the PCs going to Ohtori for some reason and getting tangled in Ahkio's plans to regain his powers and opening the Rose Gate.

Last edited by Sleepwalker (12-21-2014 04:56:29 PM)

#4 | Back to Top12-22-2014 03:14:21 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I may just point this out on tumblr and see if there are any responses. You know, when I actually stop dicking around and go back on tumblr. Maybe it'll drum up some interest.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top12-22-2014 07:48:46 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

I'd give it a shot, even though I know nothing of the system. I've only done an online RPG or two, as well as tabletop.

Hat Mafia Member

#6 | Back to Top12-23-2014 08:51:19 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

Which version are we using? The one with or without organization rules? (There's more differences than that but that's the biggest one)

I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#7 | Back to Top12-23-2014 12:06:25 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Anthiena wrote:

Which version are we using? The one with or without organization rules? (There's more differences than that but that's the biggest one)

The one with organization rules is the Dream version, right? Because it definitely provides a good chunk of flavor that we might or might not use. I honestly enjoy the Embassies the most, with a draw to the Embassy to the Dreamlands, the Embassy to Fortune (THERE IS A CAT BOSS) and the Embassy of Stories.

I wanted to make a response to this when I first saw it, but I just wanted to say that this is probably one of the better systems I saw for recreating Utena in RPG form. There's a few questions I have though.
1. If we get this on the road, we'd just focus on the Kingdom of Heart (Because of the obvious connections) or could the other kingdoms come into play too?
2. Related to that, are the rules fine as they are, or should there be more tweaks made? Are we going to keep as close to the mechanics as possible while building Ohtori into it, or are we just taking Ohtori's rules and making the mechanics fit around them?
3. If Sleepwaker feels like they wouldn't be able to GM this, that's alright. But if this is something we really want to do, we'd need to find one.
4. I'm honestly wondering how far would the Dreamlands go in this. Would Othori just be an overly powerful dream city, or does it have a mortal presence?
Anyways, I'm excited.

#8 | Back to Top12-30-2014 08:52:54 AM

Sleepwalker
New Student

zeedikay wrote:

3. If Sleepwaker feels like they wouldn't be able to GM this, that's alright. But if this is something we really want to do, we'd need to find one.

Oh dear... I'd really love to act as a GM in a game like this, but as i said before my english is very, very far from being up to the task emot-redface However, if the thing keeps going, count on me as a player for sure!

This being said, here are my two long and messy cents about the SKU-Princess connection. I'm taking for granted my own headcanon of Anthy = Queen of Hearts here, and getting some ideas from Archimage, too, so it will be extremely subjective.

* First of all, i think the original setting is really rich, diverse and with lots of possibilities, while Ohtori is (in its very nature) a hopeless place marked by  repetition and a sense of futility. Thus, my point of view is more "Ohtori as a part of Princess" than "the rules of Princess applied to Ohtori".

* Ohtori is not part of the physical world, nor a region in the dreamlands: it's a place where reality merges with fiction (something similar to the Soft Places in The Sandman comic) and where everything gets twisted according to the whims of Ahkio, so there are certain rules that should be implemented and tweaked where necessary. I mentioned the idea of a huge fortress of regrets before, and some rooms at the Academy could count as tainted places (*) This could give the feeling of a more patent danger for the PCs, and for the whole world, too.

* I think all the courts should be taken into account here: it would give more freedom for the creation of PCs and NPCs alike (Miki could be the cutest Seeker of Diamonds ever, and Nanami has the words "princess of mirrors" written all over her face). Besides, we are talking about a Very Big And Nasty Cosmic Menace here, so assuming that the other Radiant Queens know the story is par for the course. This could sound like a blasphemy, but the idea of the Rose Bride going all passive-agressive while the Queen of Diamonds gives geeky tirades about parallel space-time continuums, the Queen of Spades cracks jokes about open shirts and the Queen of Swords punches the table makes me laugh big time. Cue a shot of a pink-haired girl in uniform scratching her hair and sighing "Oh boy, there she goes again..." while the Queen of Clubs does yoga.

* The campaign could take place after the original story. A&U are finally shining together at the Court of Hearts, and the World Revolution had something to do with the massive awakening of princesses during the 90s and 00s: we can even use december 24, 1997 (the day the last episode of the anime aired in Japan) as the date for Some Very Important Event in the game world. For the last 18 years, the princesses have been busy fighting against the Darkspawn, the Twilight Courts and other baddies (vampires, mad scientists, fanatical bloodthirsty packs of werewolves... you know, the usual stuff) but now Ahkio is back on the prowl... and he wants revenge. And sex. And world domination. And sex.

(*) BTW, one of the examples for a tainted place that appear in the sourcebook is suspiciously similar to Whisteria Lane...  emot-rofl

Last edited by Sleepwalker (12-30-2014 08:54:52 AM)

#9 | Back to Top12-30-2014 12:45:28 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

STing an Exalted game is quite enough STing for me, lol

EDIT: Are people seeking pbp? Chat? A hybrid between the two?

Last edited by Anthiena (01-01-2015 10:29:16 AM)

#10 | Back to Top01-02-2015 02:31:08 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Heck with it. I'm doing it.

Little Two Eyes, are you awake?
It took the Court of Roses more than others the time it took to fully awake, the keeper of those lands a particularly cruel twist on a beautiful dream, distracting and punishing their queen for her failures, her inability to blossom all those many years ago-if she was not nobility, what was she then? A witch of the darkness? Then darkness she would become... but it changed when a beacon left with a bequest-much like others, led into a trap, a trap to further power the broken machinery of the dreamlands with hope and despair.

Those who have lost hope shall not be allowed to revolutionize the world.

Seventeen years ago, a beacon came as hope was almost gone, slipping away by the day-a beacon with an impossible dream-a dream she nearly lost and thought that she had lost at the final battle with the keeper-but the witch swore an oath, now awake and able to see the dream for what it was-and remembered her own tale.

She had never been a princess but blossomed entirely a queen, the only noble to do so-and she would spend much time seeking the Rose Prince. Seven years ago, they were united, returning in triumph, the keeper relegated to being entrapped within his own waking nightmare, without what made it bearable. The city-states of Andarta Plains are as remembered in the Dreamlands and the Champion awaits those who would offend the Queen's honor-though few quite recall a life where the Champion Duelist was a young woman with candy-pink hair in her regalia as Prince.

Little Two Eyes, are you asleep?
Himemiya Anthy's kingdom slept a very long time-but with the revolution having occurred, many Flowers have found things are much closer to reality and many believe that something strange is going on-after all, the Champion is not just a ghost-but a living woman of thirty-one. The ideology of Roses still apply, in spite of the great change-just a matter of weaving new traditions with the old, changing stagnant for the fluid. It's interesting times in Andarta-and times of opportunity for those princesses of other Courts or even the Courtless.

Yet Andarta Plains remains that: the memory of a time and place long gone, less than even the city of tears which undoubtedly still exists, even in its fallen state and yet.

And yet, the nation-builders hope to do something impossible, something that only one Twilight Queen has dared-but is it just a dream? Or can an Andarta be newly built and brought to reality? The Queen Regnant isn't saying much-but shadows and light awaits.

Come set us a table
Reality and dreams alike beckon-opportunity and peril await-for as much as Andarte Plains has to offer, the Dethroned Prince of Lies awaits, with his court of illusions, waiting to entrap princes and princesses alike and bend them to traditions now long gone-and it's not only the Radiant Queens that seek answers into the mysteries happening in that court-Ravens, Brats and even Storms are coming to see what lies in the rabbit hole with all that's going on.

And who knows? Maybe another revolution is at hand...

What do you guys think of that?

#11 | Back to Top01-03-2015 11:00:36 AM

Sleepwalker
New Student

Simply awesome emot-aaa

Last edited by Sleepwalker (01-03-2015 11:05:25 AM)

#12 | Back to Top01-03-2015 02:19:10 PM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

Well, count me as excited. That write up was nice! I'll try to form a more solid critique later, but for now, it seems good!

#13 | Back to Top01-03-2015 06:25:43 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

;___________;

Any room for a very part-time player willing to negotiate a set role (or not) with the ST? I can't promise a lot of time, but fuck me, I haven't rp'd in more than two years and this looks fantastic enough that I'd make the time even though I don't really have it emot-gonk

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#14 | Back to Top01-04-2015 10:31:15 AM

TheOnlyFlorence
Revolution Televisor

Dude, I barely even role-play, and that read up makes me want in super hard.

#15 | Back to Top01-04-2015 01:10:37 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Yasha wrote:

;___________;

Any room for a very part-time player willing to negotiate a set role (or not) with the ST? I can't promise a lot of time, but fuck me, I haven't rp'd in more than two years and this looks fantastic enough that I'd make the time even though I don't really have it emot-gonk

Of course I would! We can keep this casual, work and weave it together. I haven't RPed on here since Almaser's RP! Why don't we start talking concepts and goals for these folks-I don't expect it'll stay the same but it'll tell us a bit more about your magical girls.

#16 | Back to Top01-04-2015 03:12:07 PM

Sleepwalker
New Student

I'd rather have it pbp than by chat: it would be slower and less lively, but it would make it a lot easier for everyone involved (i think).

Yesterday i started to write layouts for two possible PCs: a female troubadour of spades and a male champion of hearts. Fleshing them out is giving me a hard time, but i think they will be ready in a week or so.

Last edited by Sleepwalker (01-04-2015 03:24:15 PM)

#17 | Back to Top01-04-2015 06:06:29 PM

Mangorabbit
Touga Topper

I like this idea so much! I have a couple of thoughts to add into the mix.
This might be a nit-picky thing, but I think rather than using the word "princess" to describe the players and those with powers to use "nobles" or something like that. It is a word used in the manual and in the show as well. Akio had the tournament to search for people with noble souls and ideals which is what from what I read what gives the "princesses" their power in this game.

I can't see Saionji as loyal to any of the courts given how he's been kicked out of school, been abused in one way or another by authority figures (Akio and his "friend" Touga), and being the first disillusioned in the ideal of "prince". I can imagine him camping in the lands he believes is not ruled by anyone, perhaps close to the Spade's domain, making omelets and trying to stay out of anything. He would still have that characteristic anger, but rather than aggression it is more protection and stubbornness.

Also, can people play the Ex-student council and other show characters too?

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: one sees well only with the heart. The essential is invisible to the eyes."

#18 | Back to Top01-07-2015 02:16:41 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Mangorabbit wrote:

I like this idea so much! I have a couple of thoughts to add into the mix.
This might be a nit-picky thing, but I think rather than using the word "princess" to describe the players and those with powers to use "nobles" or something like that. It is a word used in the manual and in the show as well. Akio had the tournament to search for people with noble souls and ideals which is what from what I read what gives the "princesses" their power in this game.

I can't see Saionji as loyal to any of the courts given how he's been kicked out of school, been abused in one way or another by authority figures (Akio and his "friend" Touga), and being the first disillusioned in the ideal of "prince". I can imagine him camping in the lands he believes is not ruled by anyone, perhaps close to the Spade's domain, making omelets and trying to stay out of anything. He would still have that characteristic anger, but rather than aggression it is more protection and stubbornness.

Also, can people play the Ex-student council and other show characters too?

Let me numerate my answers to best sort rulings as honorary ST.

1. Princess is the name of the splat but they are, in universe called a great deal of names. They are most usually called after their courts. There might be Radiant Kings out there-but if a girl wants to be called Prince (or anything else), few are going to look at her funny. Or a boy who wants to be called something else. For instance, I can see a few Nobility calling him/herself a puer or puella magus.

2. There are courtless Nobility, they can add a dot to any attribute as their Practical Magic.

3. Justify it and we'll see. I'm not going to give a firm yes or no, but if you got a good pitch? I'll approve. If I'm not convinced, I might ask you to do an OC but I don't see why anyone should have any issue with writing something good for one of the show characters. Even Utena (though Anthy I am keeping strictly NPC as a Radiant Queen.)

#19 | Back to Top01-11-2015 02:03:21 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Sleepwalker's sheet received. I highly recommend people use such services as GDocs or Dalines or both in conjunction.

Dalines: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/wiki/WikiStart

#20 | Back to Top01-13-2015 05:05:15 AM

ThreeTimesFaster
New Student

I admit I just joined the site to say I'm interested in this. I love the series, just don't think I really have much to say about it that's interested. I haven't played nWoD in sometime close to a decade? So I'd be rusty in that system, though I still know the basic rules, I still have the core book, and I'm sure I can look over Princess soon.

I'd rather just be a player than the GM, since I haven't seen Utena in a while and I don't have much GMing experience. However, if nobody else is up the tast, I can try to go marathon the show and try my hand at it. Though, as a GM, I might want it in a different system, probably something more a little more rules lite. Id' have to think about what system, though I'm quite fond of Apocalypse Engine, Tri Stat, and Sherpa.

Last edited by ThreeTimesFaster (01-13-2015 05:11:55 AM)

#21 | Back to Top01-13-2015 01:26:30 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

ThreeTimesFaster wrote:

I admit I just joined the site to say I'm interested in this. I love the series, just don't think I really have much to say about it that's interested. I haven't played nWoD in sometime close to a decade? So I'd be rusty in that system, though I still know the basic rules, I still have the core book, and I'm sure I can look over Princess soon.

I'd rather just be a player than the GM, since I haven't seen Utena in a while and I don't have much GMing experience. However, if nobody else is up the tast, I can try to go marathon the show and try my hand at it. Though, as a GM, I might want it in a different system, probably something more a little more rules lite. Id' have to think about what system, though I'm quite fond of Apocalypse Engine, Tri Stat, and Sherpa.

Thanks, but I already took ST. emot-dance

Feel free to build up a character, though!

Just a few things to keep in mind, though: there's been a rules update for nWOD. You can find the rules update for free on Drive-Thru RPG. I highly recommend doing a refresher, if by the book or by that one site, The Subnet. No, I am not linking it for Reasons I'm sure Gio and Yasha will appreciate.

#22 | Back to Top01-25-2015 02:22:42 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Anthiena wrote:

No, I am not linking it for Reasons I'm sure Gio and Yasha will appreciate.

Definitely appreciated. I'll have a character sheet done up hopefully tonight. Never used nWOD rules before, although I know the old rules inside and out.

#23 | Back to Top01-26-2015 04:06:49 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Yasha wrote:

Anthiena wrote:

No, I am not linking it for Reasons I'm sure Gio and Yasha will appreciate.

Definitely appreciated. I'll have a character sheet done up hopefully tonight. Never used nWOD rules before, although I know the old rules inside and out.

If you have Skype, I can link you the nWOD 1.0 rulebook and the Machine God Chronicles update. There's a nWOD 2.0 out soon but it's basically those two and a few things to make the pairing more smooth.

For those of you who played cWOD, one of the bigger differences between nWOD and OWOD is that the new line was built upon a single ruleset, outlined in a stand-alone book that you can actually play a hell of a lot of games on. I like it better than I do GURPS or FATE, tbh. Each of the lines, a 'splat' has various special rules and templates that sit atop the ruleset seen in the book World of Darkness. It came out in 2004. It's frankly less of a headache than having a new iteration of storyteller in every splatbook.

The main official lines are Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken and Mage: The Awakening. Supplemental lines are Changelings: The Lost, Prometheans: The Created, Sin-Eaters, Mummies and Demon: The Descent. There are a number of fansplats-most of them for nWOD by grace of the central rulebook and the internet being more popular and easy to use. There are twelve known fansplats in various levels of completeness. This and Genius seem to be the most popular fansplat for nWOD.

#24 | Back to Top01-31-2015 03:17:50 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Would those still interested in playing who have not already contacted me by PM kindly post if they're still interested?

#25 | Back to Top05-14-2015 08:23:37 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

As a reminder, I am highly interested in STing this game. I still have sheets and I look very much forward to such a campaign.

Board footer