This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-16-2006 12:35:43 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

[Food] Yasha's Uber Omelette Thing [Beginner]

So far as I know, this recipe doesn't have a name (edit: I have since been informed that this is a fritatta-- thanks, guys!). I learned to make it from my dad, when we were 'camping' in our pre-1900 cabin with no plumbing, heating, or electricity, and a roof full of bats. It tasted delicious, especially after a day of hiking or cross-country skiing.

It's a simple recipe. Almost not worth making a thread about it. But I figured if anyone has any ideas to try with it, or just wants an easy breakfast/brunch that they don't have to watch every second, here it is.

I got up about 4:30 this Sunday afternoon and decided that it was time to try to figure out just how my dad used to make this thick slab of protein and carbs. Rummaging around in the fridge, I got together my ingredients.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0948.jpg

Ignore the booze and potato chips, they're not a part of this. Well, maybe the booze... but as you can see, we have:

About a pound of small red potatoes
Half a package of bacon
A small brick of cheese (we're only using half of this)
A dozen eggs (we're only using 7 of them)
Two scallions, with all the dried bits trimmed off
Two shallots
Butter
Sea Salt (in the green bottle, and it doesn't have to be sea salt-- one thing I find is that sea salt is saltier, though, so you might want to use more if you're using iodized salt)
Pepper (in Yasha's terrible battery operated pepper mill. Seriously, what the fuck? I bought it cause I thought it was solid metal, but it turned out to be battery operated with a friggin FLASHLIGHT on the end of it emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk why emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk)

The great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust and substitute almost anything to your taste. If you like a lot of onions, put more onions or oniony-type things in there. If you're a cheese freak, use that whole block. If you like more bacon, hell, go for it. The only thing you should not add more of in this recipe is potato. About a pound will be fine, maybe less if you like less, but not more or else you'll overflow your frying pan and not cook the potatoes all the way through.

The equipment you'll need (not pictured):
One large bowl
One frying pan, ten inches or more diameter (mine is ten inch)
One lid that will fit on the frying pan
One fork
One spatula/scraper/flipper whatever you want to call it, you'll see it later

The first thing you need to do is slice the bacon. You need to get that cooking in the frying pan right away so that you have it cooked but not hard-cooked by the time you put the potatoes in, and there's a nice sheen of grease on the frying pan. You want the heat about halfway up to fry all of this in.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0950.jpg

See how it's all stuck together? That's because your friend Yasha is a lazy, lazy person on Sunday afternoons. The other reason to get the bacon cooking right away is because if you're like me, you don't want to have to fuss around trying to make sure the meat isn't clumping up once all the other good stuff goes in there. Cooking it first alleviates this problem.

The next thing you want to do is chop the potatoes. I prefer to cut them into rough cubes, which is just not going to happen if you're using small potatoes, but you can get vaguely cube-shaped things if you slice them in half lengthwise and then across the middle (maybe once more if they're too thick). Don't bother peeling them, it's a waste of time unless you just don't like the texture. Besides, it's more vitamins if you leave the peels on. Or something, I dunno too much about this health stuff.

And then you slice the onions. Since the potatoes are going to take a long time to cook, you can slice the onions any thickness you like. I like to make them pretty thin so that they disperse evenly through the omelette. With thicker slices you'd have a problem making sure the onions are all throughout the dish.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0953.jpg

You could probably put the onions and potatoes in the frying pan right away after slicing to save time, but I'm never terribly worried about getting things done on time unless I have company coming. Besides, I needed a nice picture for you. emot-smile

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0954.jpg

Now see, that bacon is about as done as we want it. It's starting to cook, but it's still a bit floppy, and it's just starting to brown. And there's the sheen of grease I was talking about. We need that because we're going to add the potatoes and onions. Using the grease instead of butter means the potatoes and onions will be subtly flavored by the bacon, and we all like bacon, right?

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0958.jpg

Unfortunately, there wasn't quite enough grease from this bacon to fry to potatoes in, so you can see I added a bit of butter. Why no, this isn't a healthy recipe. At this point you want to saute the bacon, onions, and potatoes until everything's starting to brown nicely. Make sure to season them with salt and pepper until they taste right.

A note about seasoning: Whenever you add an ingredient, make sure to add seasoning proportionate to the amount of stuff you added. And taste. It's important to taste, or else you won't know when you've put in too much. This recipe is forgiving because if you add too much salt or pepper at first, you can add less to the eggs later and it will balance out. 

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0961.jpg

See how the potatoes are starting to turn a nice crackly brown around the edges? That means they're done. I find it's easier to use yellow-fleshed potatoes when you're frying, as they change color more so you can tell when they're cooked. The flesh gets all translucent when they're done. We want these about 3/4 done.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0962.jpg

And grate the cheese. You don't really need as much as I have, I just grated all of mine because cheese tastes better when it's grated. I don't know why, I think it's a mind trick.

Now you want to use that bowl we had the potatoes and onions in earlier. Crack the eggs into it, beat them until they're all one color, and season them with more salt and pepper, the same as if you were making scrambled eggs. You want to throw about 2/3 of your grated cheese in now, so that it won't stick together and make clumps when you put it in the frying pan.

I took the frying pan off the heat here, so that nothing would overcook, and then left the burner on a very low heat while nothing was on it. And once the eggs and cheese looked like this...

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0965.jpg

...I dumped them all in the frying pan and sprinkled the rest of the cheese on top.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0966.jpg

At this point, you want to get out that lid and cover these things while they're cooking. Keep it on a very low heat (my burner was at about 2.5) because you don't want the bottom burning.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0969.jpg

Don't laugh at me, I don't have a lid that matches that frying pan. I had to steal one from a ceramic pot.

Now you take a break for about 40 minutes. If you have a lot of potatoes, or if they're the kind that take a long time to cook, you may need to leave it for longer. Take a peek in and stick a fork in every so often until it goes through smoothly. I did my laundry during this break so that I don't have to go commando to work tomorrow. emot-smile

When it's ready to come off the heat, the top should look like this:

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0970.jpg

...and you should be able to tell that it's cooked by sticking a fork into the middle. If the top of it is liquid, it needs to go in for longer. If it feels like scrambled eggs, it's ready for the next stage.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0972.jpg

Which is broiling! school-eng101 Fun fact: In restaurants, they finish off omelettes this way. Broil the top of the omelette thing until it's starting to turn a nice golden brown.

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0973.jpg

Like this! And we're done! If it's really brown on the bottom, don't worry, it's supposed to be like that. As long as it's not burnt it will taste good.

Serving suggestion:

http://ohtori.nu/forumstuff/uberomelette/IMG_0976.jpg

One pie-shaped slice of omelette thing, one glass of orange juice and sweet, sweet cherry vodka, and a stack of Transmetropolitan comic books provided by Yasha's lovely brother.

So if you have questions, comments, ways to add to this recipe, or results, let me know!

Last edited by Yasha (10-18-2006 09:34:40 PM)

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#2 | Back to Top10-16-2006 01:24:06 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Re: [Food] Yasha's Uber Omelette Thing [Beginner]

I think what you've got there is technically a fritatta(sp?), and not an omelette, IMO. school-eng101

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#3 | Back to Top10-16-2006 01:25:57 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

onsenmark wrote:

I think what you've got there is technically a fritatta(sp?), and not an omelette, IMO. school-eng101

That's what I said, but omelette is French and frittata is Italian and she's a Canadian, so you see...

(Also plz die, Yasha. You and your gobs of butter and cheese. etc-love)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#4 | Back to Top10-16-2006 01:28:16 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I don't care what it is, it's delicious! You should make one and give me a trip report. cool

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top10-16-2006 01:33:31 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

onsenmark wrote:

That's what I said, but omelette is French and frittata is Italian and she's a Canadian, so you see...

(Also plz die, Yasha. You and your gobs of butter and cheese. etc-love)

ya rly. I think my heart would explode if I ate that. Then again, maybe not. emot-keke

(BTW, the things you learn from watching Good Eats... emot-biggrin )

#6 | Back to Top10-16-2006 01:50:48 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Actually, it's not as bad as you think-- the butter looks like a lot, but it's actually only a couple of thin chunks, and there's really only a 3x2x2 inch piece of cheese in there. I'll do a better job showing quantity next time.

Oh, that and you're not supposed to eat the whole thing at once, sillies.

#7 | Back to Top10-16-2006 02:02:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

onsenmark wrote:

The Bill Nye of food! I don't want to know as much about eggs as that guy taught me. school-chef

I'm more a Giada kind of person though. Lots of parmesan, lots of prosciutto, no measuring. I suck at measuring.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#8 | Back to Top10-16-2006 02:36:41 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Giovanna wrote:

onsenmark wrote:

The Bill Nye of food! I don't want to know as much about eggs as that guy taught me. school-chef

I'm more a Giada kind of person though. Lots of parmesan, lots of prosciutto, no measuring. I suck at measuring.

Mmmmm, Giada... etc-wankdude

Not to mention Rachael Ray... etc-wankdude

And Paula Deen, who while she's a hoot, and can cook, she's a bit too old for my tastes. emot-keke;

I wish Bobby Flay would get hit by a bus, though. A bus driven by Martin Yan. school-devil

#9 | Back to Top10-16-2006 02:50:08 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

Actually, it's not as bad as you think-- the butter looks like a lot, but it's actually only a couple of thin chunks, and there's really only a 3x2x2 inch piece of cheese in there. I'll do a better job showing quantity next time.

Oh, that and you're not supposed to eat the whole thing at once, sillies.

Can I pretend it's a lot of butter and cheese? emot-frown etc-wankgirl

In my house that would serve two people because the men are disgusting mouth-breathing pigs. It looks like...what? Four? Maybe five? WHO ATE ALL THAT emot-gonk I doubt it stays very well as a leftover... But I was thinking maybe of putting dill in it? The pie thing made me wonder about sour cream like it's whipped topping. emot-biggrin

Also, get that squeaky-voiced over-enthusiastic wannabe foodie Rachel Ray away from me! emot-mad Anthony Bourdain would teach her a thing or two about travelling the world eating.

#10 | Back to Top10-16-2006 06:33:34 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Can I pretend it's a lot of butter and cheese? emot-frown etc-wankgirl

In my house that would serve two people because the men are disgusting mouth-breathing pigs. It looks like...what? Four? Maybe five? WHO ATE ALL THAT emot-gonk

My mother and brother would have finished it off and asked for more. I'm so glad I moved out, it was a pain in the ass cooking that much food and then more on top of it for me.

Giovanna wrote:

I doubt it stays very well as a leftover... But I was thinking maybe of putting dill in it? The pie thing made me wonder about sour cream like it's whipped topping. emot-biggrin

You're insane, dude, sour cream on this would really be a heart attack in a pan. Dill might be nice, but I'm not allowed to use dill emot-frown

My roommate hates dill emot-frown

Giovanna wrote:

Also, get that squeaky-voiced over-enthusiastic wannabe foodie Rachel Ray away from me! emot-mad Anthony Bourdain would teach her a thing or two about travelling the world eating.

I have no idea who this Rachel Ray person is, but Tony Bourdain>*

#11 | Back to Top10-16-2006 07:31:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Yasha wrote:

You're insane, dude, sour cream on this would really be a heart attack in a pan. Dill might be nice, but I'm not allowed to use dill emot-frown

My roommate hates dill emot-frown

When I go for heart attack, I go for it hard. And boo on your roommate. First no seafood, now no dill? HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO COOK FOR THIS OAF emot-mad

Yasha wrote:

I have no idea who this Rachel Ray person is, but Tony Bourdain>*

Rachel Ray is the opposite of Bourdain. She has a show called '30 Minute Meals', where she makes a bunch of blasé, uncreative crap. I come up with more creative things on accident. She also has a travel show where she goes around the world acting like an airhead and giggling but totally lacking the nerve to eat anything truly interesting. She's obnoxiously effervescent, but because she has a decent rack and a cute ass, well...

Like you said. Tony Bourdain > *.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q60/mrsakioohtori/bourdain.jpg

Oh Tony. etc-love Your wonderful blend of French arrogance and New York City...well...arrogance. Your appreciation for other cultures. Your willingness to eat their strange food. etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

Share a beating snake heart with me. etc-love

#12 | Back to Top10-16-2006 08:53:12 PM

_ J _
Manly and Buxom = Manxome

First off, just you wait until I have a few pieces of my culinary GENIUS up in here. etc-wankdudeschool-chef

Second, dill is acceptable in small quantities, and the seafood thing is just stuff like mussels and clams.(mild allergy)  emot-frown

Lastly, you are supposed to cook for this Oaf by being talented and creative in the Kitchen, just like I am. emot-dance

This is one of the best egg dishes I have ever eaten.  It stays well as a leftover and the flavour when it is fresh is just amazing.

I will always be here to listen, the question is, whether or not you can hear...

Proptre Qua Dictum

#13 | Back to Top10-17-2006 07:15:29 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

_ J _ wrote:

First off, just you wait until I have a few pieces of my culinary GENIUS up in here. etc-wankdudeschool-chef

Lastly, you are supposed to cook for this Oaf by being talented and creative in the Kitchen, just like I am. emot-dance

This is one of the best egg dishes I have ever eaten.  It stays well as a leftover and the flavour when it is fresh is just amazing.

BRING IT ON. I might go off my diet just to own your miserable arse. emot-wink Don't worry, I'm plenty talented and creative in the kitchen. You'll get more than you can handle.

As for Yasha's omelette...of course it's delicious. Bacon, butter, potatoes, cheese, oh GOD.

etc-wankgirletc-wankgirl school-chef etc-wankgirletc-wankgirl

#14 | Back to Top10-18-2006 04:53:48 PM

.deep.blue.
Miki Molester

Thats a fritatta alrighty.... emot-tongue

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/_deep_blue_/Astarot/asatarotsig.gif

emot-keke

#15 | Back to Top10-18-2006 04:58:25 PM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

I feel like my arteries are already clogging just by looking at the pictures...

Kidding. emot-biggrin It looks delicious, I'll have to try it sometime.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#16 | Back to Top10-18-2006 09:33:44 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

.deep.blue. wrote:

Thats a fritatta alrighty.... emot-tongue

Okay, okay, I get it emot-biggrin

I'll put it in the main post.

Also... I eat food like this because I had one piece and that was all I had that day. I'm bad at eating things, I only like to eat if the food is good. So high calorie is kind of a must for me.

#17 | Back to Top07-17-2008 08:50:58 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Thank you for sharing this. *grins*
I love cooking and I'll try this sometime.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#18 | Back to Top07-18-2008 09:28:42 AM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

I'm glad this got bumped back up, I enjoyed reading it again. I think I'll actually go and make one this time.

I definitely need more simple recipes from Yasha (or others) that look as tasty as this. Simple recipes are the best ones to share really, since people are most likely to find the time to try them out... Fancy recipes are great, but could easily scare me away while I just looked at picture of the finished product with verdant envy....

Last edited by Valeli (07-18-2008 09:31:24 AM)

Board footer