This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:33:45 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Who here writes Utena fanfiction!

I haven't read any new Utena fic in a year or two, and I know a lot of people in this forum probably write it! So if you do, it would be great if you can share your fanfic archive/links to your fics! (I thought about posting this in the last Utena fic thread...but I think this is different?)

I have only a couple Utena fics, but I'll share anyway....Most of these were written a long time ago, so they're not that great. I believe "Ghosts" is also posted here on EM. emot-redface

There's an ongoing untitled "series" that I've been working on for a few years. I call it "series" because all of these can stand alone. Scroll down to "Shoujo Kakumei Utena on this page.

Abraxas (Touga, Saionji)
Azure paler than the sky (Ruka, Juri)
Ghosts (Mikage, Tokiko, Mamiya)
Magic Lantern Butterfly Moth (Saionji, Wakaba)
New World Symphony: Sunset (Touga)
Suburi (Saionji)

(guess who my favorite characters are) emot-gonk

#2 | Back to Top10-25-2006 10:44:39 AM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Re: Who here writes Utena fanfiction!

I once more offer you love for writing Ghosts. etc-love

I write fanfic under the pen name Serendipity1 at fanfiction.net, and some of my fanfiction is posted here on EM. Lately, my writing basically consists of a lot of ficlets in utenadrabble. I'm working on a chaptered fanfic called 'Chrysalis', and it centers around Utena and Mikage.

Here are the fanfics saved under my memories.

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#3 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:25:51 AM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Ivy-chan wrote:

I once more offer you love for writing Ghosts. etc-love

I write fanfic under the pen name Serendipity1 at fanfiction.net, and some of my fanfiction is posted here on EM. Lately, my writing basically consists of a lot of ficlets in utenadrabble. I'm working on a chaptered fanfic called 'Chrysalis', and it centers around Utena and Mikage.

YOU'RE IN UTENA DRABBLE!! O_O

I am too, but I haven't posted anything in a long, long time...I write under LJ seraphitus. Wow! I remember you now - I liked your stuff a lot. The community hasn't seen much action lately though.

And thank you again for the feedback on Ghosts emot-keke

#4 | Back to Top10-25-2006 01:13:30 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I used to write a bit of fanfiction, but not so much anymore. It's mostly all here, at ff.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/96703/ I also occasionally write the odd drabble on the drabble comm on lj; there's a list of what I have written here: http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori … filter=all

I excuse the quality of said fics; my brain exists on a totally different planet most days. A planet where stylistic sense defies gravity, apparently...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#5 | Back to Top10-25-2006 05:57:12 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

This is going to be a great thread--a directory of everyone's fanfics!

Mine are at my fiction page, on the left-hand side. Most of it is Utena, but each story is labeled for series.

http://www.winternet.com/~milo/fiction/index.html

Laurie

#6 | Back to Top10-25-2006 06:10:05 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I write fanfiction, but I don't really post it up anywhere. Gio has one she refuses to share with you all, I think she mentioned it in another thread.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top10-25-2006 08:38:13 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Suncat wrote:

Mine are at my fiction page, on the left-hand side. Most of it is Utena, but each story is labeled for series.

I just read all 3 parts you have of Familiar Strangers and am enjoying it...is there any more?
Saionji's one of my favorites. emot-biggrin

#8 | Back to Top10-25-2006 09:13:04 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

Ger wrote:

Suncat wrote:

I just read all 3 parts you have of Familiar Strangers and am enjoying it...is there any more?
Saionji's one of my favorites. emot-biggrin

Not written yet. Planned, yes. At least I know where this one is supposed to go.

Now if I could just get rid of this infantile need to sleep, maybe I could get some more written.

Laurie

#9 | Back to Top10-25-2006 11:30:00 PM

Rosemary Bats
Mikage Mistruster

I write drabbles. I've got a shitload, but I'm working on a post-show "canon" of drabbles that exist within the same universe, and I'll just link to those.

The Remembrance Series
1. Forgotten Attendants
2. phantasmagoria, in five parts
3. Sickness Unto Death
4. Minor Confabulations

Last edited by Rosemary Bats (10-25-2006 11:31:36 PM)

WARNING: Rabid fangirl and well of useless trivia; wielder of endless random theories; pervy fancier of all things Anthy and/or Chigusa.
-I have the honor of playing Tenjou Utena on LJ's wonderful UTENA_RPG.-

#10 | Back to Top10-26-2006 01:29:44 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I write fan fiction. Most of my stuff can be found at fanfiction.net (and I need to go in a fix a ton of stuff because for some reason ff.net decided that some of my stories didn't need punctuation *shakes fist at ff.net*) or mediaminer.org under the name Alithea (I know shocker there). emot-keke

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#11 | Back to Top10-26-2006 03:11:23 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Oooh, Magic Lantern Butterfly Moth. I remember really liking that one. Made that duel song make more sense to me. Also, I can vouch for Ivy-chan's latest work to be FREAKIN' AWESOME. But I'm also a sucker for Utena and Mikage interaction. etc-love

Anyway, I've written a good bit. Some of it on EM, some of it's on fanfiction.net. I've been on the utenadrabble comm for a while, throw something out now and then. Some of my stories have been very kindly translated into Italian here: http://storiesoutoftime.altervista.org/ … rauEva.htm

My most current project is a post-series project concentrating on Utena waking up, but the "real world" being much more fanciful than we'd imagine. Through learning the secrets of this fairy-tale realm, she may uncover the meaning behind Ohtori and help her and her old schoolmates escape fate: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2888993/1/
I've also got another recent post-series work, but this one can't really be described any other way except "fucked up:" http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3038004/1/

That's pretty much what I'm up to. emot-dance

Hat Mafia Member

#12 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:17:31 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

ZOMG it's Frau Eva and Alithea! *goes into fanboy stupor at the presence of brilliance*

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#13 | Back to Top10-27-2006 08:51:31 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

ZOMG it's Frau Eva and Alithea! *goes into fanboy stupor at the presence of brilliance*

Um *blinks* why thank you! Thank you very much.

Hey you are in the Silicon Valley...me too. I work in Sunnyvale. emot-keke That's pretty cool.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#14 | Back to Top10-27-2006 12:27:53 PM

Ivy-chan
Unfulfilled Juror

Frau Eva wrote:

Also, I can vouch for Ivy-chan's latest work to be FREAKIN' AWESOME. But I'm also a sucker for Utena and Mikage interaction. etc-love

Frau, you bring a blush to my maiden cheek. I shall fangirl over your biblical Anthy!

If I have seen farther than others, it is because I was standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Isaac Newton

#15 | Back to Top10-27-2006 02:23:45 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

Oooh, Magic Lantern Butterfly Moth. I remember really liking that one. Made that duel song make more sense to me.

Thanks! emot-keke

I see that a lot of you are on utenadrabble, which has been quiet for a while. I should post something one of these days....

#16 | Back to Top10-29-2006 09:57:08 AM

Silver
New Student

I have written a couple one-shots, and one ongoing story about Utena.  I don't have the links right now, but I will put up a short description of my stories.

Eternity Means Forever:  This is an 'after-series' fic, and also somewhat of an analyses.  It is about Ohtori after Anthy leaves, what becomes of Akio, what eternity really is, and how different events ultimately link together Ohtori with the rest of the world.  Symbolism lovers and philosophy students, this is for you!

#17 | Back to Top10-29-2006 02:19:12 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Awww! Thank you! I loves me some fanboyin' and fangirlin'. emot-keke

Hat Mafia Member

#18 | Back to Top11-02-2006 08:56:21 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

I started to write this post and suddenly realized that I've written a lot more Utena fic than I thought I had.

Anyway, yeah, I write fic, I still write it, and though I occasionally foray into other fandoms, Utena remains my mainstay.

Archimage (which is, in fact, still continuing despite a long wait) http://www.broomstick.org/utena/archimage.htm
Master of the Phoenix Fire (a Tanith Lee pastiche) http://www.broomstick.org/utena/phoenixfire.html
The Empty Swimming Pool http://www.broomstick.org/utena/swim.html

Then there's the Very Secret Diaries (http://www.broomstick.org/utena/vsds.html), the Dead Prince Sketch (http://www.broomstick.org/utena/deadprince.html), and a bunch of Archimage Universe drabbles (http://www.broomstick.org/utena/archimagedrab.html).

Geez.  I usually think of myself as not terribly prolific, but I guess I've been busy since I came back into fanficcing in 1999.  I wish there'd been things that interested me sufficiently to fic more back when I had more time.

Last edited by tohubohu (11-02-2006 08:57:10 AM)

#19 | Back to Top11-02-2006 06:29:56 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

tohubohu wrote:

I started to write this post and suddenly realized that I've written a lot more Utena fic than I thought I had.

Anyway, yeah, I write fic, I still write it, and though I occasionally foray into other fandoms, Utena remains my mainstay.

Ahhh! I love your Utena fiction! My favorites of yours have been Archimage and the Very Secret Diaries.

Even though I'm not in the camps that advocate many of the pairings you have in Archimage, you have written them well and believably. The story works, on all levels, and that's the most important thing.

Laurie

#20 | Back to Top12-01-2006 11:23:33 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

Hum. My girlfriend and I, many years ago, started writing a post-series Utena fanfic. It never got past the first chapter due to time constraints and other projects, though I hold out some hope of revisiting it sometime in the future. However, what was completed were five set-during-the-series prequel shortfics focusing on all the duellists (regular and Black Rose) except Utena during "off-camera" moments during the series, which I'm still somewhat happy with (though I'd redo them, too, now). They're not anywhere online even though I actually paid Gio to design an (awesome!) site for the series, but can be found if you search the archives of alt.fan.utena for Reverberations. The Miki/Kozue/Tsuwabuki short "Posessions" and the Juri/Nanami/Ruka's Corpse short "Memory, Sorrow And Thorn" are the two I still like best, I think, though I have nostalgic fondness for the Wakaba/Keiko short "Troubled Insects", which was also the first bit of Utena fanfiction I wrote.

Far more recently, my usual writing partner and I started working on Hybrid Theory, a sort-of deconstructionist work based upon the ideas and observations we'd had over a decade or so of writing fanfiction. And, you know, also attempting to make a good story, and completing said story, actually finishing fanfics having been a problem for us for much of that decade. That part's worked out well, as we've released something (either a chapter or, twice, a sidestory) every month for almost three years now. It's probably not for everybody, for one because it's freaking huge (over 1,000,000 words as of this month's update, whee!), and two because we deliberately took the two most (justifiably) hated genres of fanfiction, self-inserts and multi-crossovers, and tried to make something unique, sensical and compelling from them (and a few other fanfiction cliches, to boot).

I'm not going to declare we succeeded, since that's the reader's call, but hey, it's been called the greatest fanfic of all time by a drunk and stoned Mexican! Anyways, Utena (the TV series) is in it, though it doesn't come into play until nearly halfway through the story and isn't one of the main focii, so I can't in good conscience recommend it to anyone who would only read it for Utena content. I will say that by the time you get to Utena, the writing's way better than anything earlier in our careers, so hey, that's good! Mostly what I'm proud of, Utena-wise, is how we wrote Akio, who is arguably the most major Utena character in the story. We tried a few experiments in how to write him and get across the same compellingness he has a character in the show, which I find many people have had problems with. Especially given the lack of his pure visual appeal in text format, and the fact you can't dribble out the same secrets about him the show did, it's a tough task which I've seen several excellent writers tackle in a few different ways. It's hard to give a precise description of how we ended up writing him, but our pet phrase for it is "evil storyteller", and (speaking as a Utena fan and not just the writer) I think it worked really brilliantly and I love every single Akio scene in the story.

And that's enough babbling about it from me. emot-rolleyes As was once very accurately said, asking a writer about their writing is like asking a mother about her children...

#21 | Back to Top12-04-2006 12:08:28 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Sadly, I wrote one Utena fanfiction a couple of years ago....it was called "Peepshow" and it was high on the kink/psychosis and I never let it see the light of day.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#22 | Back to Top12-04-2006 05:08:36 PM

Roses_of_Shadow
New Student

I write fanfiction. Mostly Utena. I put them on my Utena website that has no traffic. I wrote one in the form of a letter. It's Utena writing a letter to Anthy. You'd have to read it to get it. I did it about 3 years back now, almost.

Most of my work isn't very good. You'll have to excuse me because I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks Utena should be with Touga...If you read the manga, you might see why I feel this way.

http://www.freewebs.com/memoriesofrevol … lution.htm

Don't mind the poor quality of the site...it's being renovated. I'm also working on a chaptered one called "Prince of Memories." Touga/Utena set up... You can read it here: http://www.freewebs.com/memoriesofrevol … mories.htm

#23 | Back to Top12-07-2006 03:27:31 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

I started a fanfiction about Mikage.  I enjoyed writing it, but it came out of nowhere.  The original idea was "What if Nemuro got what he wanted, married Tokiko and lived a family life?"  But the actual story, while Nemuro and Tokiko are "married", is nothing like that.  It took a couple odd turns I wasn't expecting.

I'm not sure when it will be finished, sadly.  I already wrote 16 pages.  I don't want it to get too long (it already is) because I'm worried people won't want to read a novel, so I'm trying to think of a way to end it quickly in a way that answers everything. Unfortunately there's not really a quick way to end it so I'm having a bit of writer's block and I don't know what to do with it.

Last edited by HonorableShadow (12-07-2006 03:28:27 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#24 | Back to Top12-09-2006 06:18:24 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

I started a small fanfiction
but it's not much of a good writing. Juri kills alot of people, though emot-biggrin

PM me and i'll send you a copy of the first "duel" (what i call my chapters. how lame! emot-aaa)

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

#25 | Back to Top02-10-2007 06:52:28 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

For some reason, a premise for a Utena fanfic keeps popping inside my head.

Basically, its a WHAT IF story which deals with what if Wakaba and Shiori swapped roles with each other thereby making Shiori Utena's long time 'friend' and Wakaba Juri's long time 'secret love interest'.

Think about it.

How would Shiori feel about having a best friend like Utena who was not only way more athletic and popular than she was but also dealing with Utena's desire to become a 'prince'.  Would she like being Utena's shadow more or would she utterly hate it?

Imagine how Juri would feel been in love with Wakaba when Wakaba keeps calling Juri her 'boyfriend' and jumping on her, rubbing her chest into her back while doing so, when Juri knows that Wakaba is actually 'straigh as a arrow' and can never love her the way Juri wishes Wakaba could love her.

In both cases, both Utena and Wakaba are very much 'cruelly innocent' and that would make for a great fanfic wouldn't it?

Board footer