This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top03-30-2008 08:58:06 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Words of wisdom from my online Cultural Communications text.

I think schools are just plain going to hell. Actually I was listening to Carlin standup at work last week and he rails a lot about kids having too much structure. I wonder sometimes if that's the problem. We say we value individuality in this country but then deny children any chance of obtaining it, so structure is damaging here. Contrast that to Japan, where they're even more structured, but participation in the group and being part of a collective is the major value set there, so there's no conflict.

No wonder kids in this country are fucked up, they hear totally different things about what's expected of them. On one hand BE UNIQUE. On the other, school is a gigantic country-wide effort to make all of them exactly the same.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#52 | Back to Top03-30-2008 11:59:05 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Actually, in some ways Japanese schools do a better job of promoting individuality than most of ours do. In math classes, Japanese schools are more oriented toward solving problems creatively and less toward just following the same rote steps on each question.

That said, the way in which schools are measured is also seriously flawed at the moment. On account of the No Child Left Behind Act, schools are required to IMPROVE every year until 100% of students pass the standardized test that the state school board decides to use as an instrument. Failure to improve results in the failing grade Razara is referring to. Tragically, you can't even blame NCLB on Bush, Clinton was promoting something virtually identical when he was president.

Sorry to derail.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#53 | Back to Top04-01-2008 12:22:40 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

On large classes: the only reason 20+ children stuck in the classroom was a problem in my school district was because they made the actual rooms too small. You'd think that when they built their brand new high school that they would make up for that and create larger class rooms. I guess they wanted to keep a certain room-size theme going throughout all of the buildings in the school district, because my high school classroom sizes were about as big as the rooms in the elementary school I went to. It got bad enough at times that it was hard to get to a desk in the middle of the group because there were too many desks/kids crammed into it.
The students had to put their bulky backpacks somewhere, which ended up being in the aisles. This caused a lot of tripping and even more crowding as people scooted their desks to and fro to gain more room. Also, I never used my assigned locker throughout my four years there, because the lockers were completely out of the way of my classes (not to mention the hallways were barely navigable from all the students that were more worried about gossip and meeting with their friends in a group in what can only be metaphorically described as a gigantic blood clot. This resulted in nasty looks at me as I tried fruitlessly to get past them and to my locker). I ended up dragging EVERY blasted book to every damn class I had, every day for four years. Add the weight of those books with back problems, and breasts that grew to amazing proportions, and you've got me with the beginnings of a bad high school experience.
To fix the overcrowding, they build more buildings, that quickly become overcrowded, and the process starts again. In my particular high school though, they made collapsible walls so they could make a classroom bigger if need be. This created a few problems, obviously. Not only were the students in the classroom beside us way too loud and distracting through that damned collapsible wall, but every classroom was always filled, and the walls were rarely, if ever, collapsed.

Since graduating, I've found that my artistic knowledge and talent have been nourished more on my own than they ever were in high school. I've learned SO much more about the world outside of high school than I did in it. Not surprising that my GPA throughout public school ended up a 2.5.

Edit: I can't type today.

Last edited by Dematrah (04-01-2008 12:25:19 PM)

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#54 | Back to Top04-01-2008 09:57:26 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

I've learned far more through my own study endeavors than I did in the vast majority of my formal schooling. That being said, even though Arizona's public schools suck ass, my high school had a rigerous honors program, and though I almost went to UC-Berkeley (too goddamn expensive holy shit), ASU Honors College has assets comprable to Harvard. If you're a Joe Blow Sun Devil, though, good luck. ASU Main is the definition of a diploma mill, and Michael Crow is lowering entrance requirements AGAIN. Since Arizona doesn't have a tier system like California and Texas, you get the kids that could set curves at MIT and the kids who wouldn't last a week in the same school. It's interesting.

#55 | Back to Top04-02-2008 01:23:39 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

It is beginning to sound that education has become a Big Ball of Suck from Kindergarden right uptil Uni/College.

They don't make sure people know the basic stuff in the primary schools, they cram too much rote learning during highschool (which pretty much all evaporates from your mind if you haven't used it for a couple of years) and Uni/College put way too much empasis on theory and very little practice.

No wonder there are so many 'qualified' people who really shouldn't be trusted to do their jobs properly...

#56 | Back to Top04-07-2008 09:01:49 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

blahblahblah wrote:

Business Context

Intercultural communication occurs in many different types of business settings, including domestic contexts with multicultural workforces and international contexts. Intercultural communication occurs in encounters with supervisors, subordinates, peers, clients, and customers. These cultural differences are reflected in three areas: work-related values, communication styles, and business etiquette.
Work Related Values
You should recall from the Topic of What is Culture that values are enduring concepts of what is right or wrong, good or bad, just or unjust, moral or immoral, etc. that guide society in response to social episodes or contexts. When it come to the business context, there are six values that need to be considered: power distance, individualism versus collectivism, work as material gain, quality versus efficiency, task versus relationship priority, gender expectations, and interpersonal relationships for gain. And so forth and so forth.

Translation by Giovanna's limbic system wrote:

'Intercultural communication' occurs in many different types of business settings, including the office, the boardroom, the break room, the elevator, and the odd secluded janitor's closet. Intercultural communication occurs in encounters with supervisors, subordinates, peers, clients, and customers, but it's most fun when it's a supervisor and you're a naughty naughty woman jockeying for power with the best tool available to you while you get bent over your Indian/German/Italian/South African/Japanese/Egyptian supervisor's desk. The cultural variations on these situations are reflected in three areas: amount of foreplay, degree of coercion, and roughness of the sex.

(The remainder is not processed as Giovanna's mind ran off with Akio and an office much neater and luxurious than her actual boss's.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#57 | Back to Top04-07-2008 09:09:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Giovanna wrote:

blahblahblah wrote:

There are six values that need to be considered: power distance, individualism versus collectivism, work as material gain, quality versus efficiency, task versus relationship priority, gender expectations, and interpersonal relationships for gain.

Brian's Allusory Neurons M and P wrote:

-- seven values!  Power distance, individualism versus collectivism, work as material gain, quality versus efficiency, task versus relationship priority, gender expectations, interpersonal relationships for gain, and nice red uniforms -- eight values! -- look, I'll come in again.

#58 | Back to Top04-07-2008 09:14:31 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

satyreyes wrote:

The textbook can't count.

That's actually not the first time my text has done that. Nor is it the second. I actually lost track.

#59 | Back to Top04-10-2008 03:43:04 PM

lazypirates
Anthy Assailer

Oo, intense thread for a (3rd? 4th?) post, but let's give it a shot.

I happen to go to one of the best high schools in my state, and my state has one of the best education systems. school-eng101 Cha-ching!  I won't lie, there is stuff about American schools that really sucks. Rote learning, little to no hands-on experience, etc. However, most of this is attributable to government funding (ok, lack thereof) and planning (ok, lack thereof). I hate the image of an "ignorant American" or "messed up teenager" because I'm not sure how "No Child Left Behind" is my fault...emot-confused

the test that all the juniors took in order to determine the quality of our school ending up with the results, "School in need of improvement," which is the worst a school can get. This could mean that even the best of American schools are going to hell, or maybe it's just that my school should be putting more of the taxpayer's money towards our education instead of useless shit.

I'd bet my life that this is due entirely to the completely-nonsensical pile of crap that is NCLB, Razara. The need for improvement is determined entirely off of a school's average test scores--which makes sense. However, the established goal test scores are not based off of a national average or even some elitist, unreachable ideal--they are based off of the school's previous performance on the same tests. Which does not make sense...emot-mad

So if your excellent school had an excellent junior class last year, then they probably scored very, very well on the standardized testing, let's say 97% passing rate. WOOHOO. Unfortunately, if this years students don't acheive a 98% passing rate, your school gets stamped with that lovely little "Need of Improvement" sign. If they don't beat their previous score for more than one year a row (remembering that the actual score acheived is ENTIRELY IRRELEVANT--97% of the class could still be passing), they start to lose government funding.

It's much, much easier for the BEST public high schools in America to lose all their government money than it is for all the mediocre ones, saying nothing of those at the lower end--NCLB becomes even more ridiculous in terms of class, caste, race and nationality. I won't subject you to that though.

Ok, sorry. I could talk about NCLB for a while, and this was rather political and rant-y. I just can't help it, education is the way out of so many of the world's worst problems, and our government seems determined to fuck it up. First rant on a new forum. emot-rolleyes

#60 | Back to Top04-10-2008 05:14:29 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

lazypirates wrote:

Messed up system

Wow. o_o If that's how it works, then it seems inevitable that we would be marked as a school in need of improvement. Last year, the test was moved up so that juniors had to take it, rather than sophomores. As a result, the sophomores who took the test two years back had to take it for a second time last year. It doesn't make sense to assume that students who are taking the test for the first time could surpass the scores of those who have taken it twice.

Even so, I still think that my school should do some looking into as far as the quality of our teachers are concerned.

A List of Stupid Things My English Teacher Has Said:
- Being a homophobe isn't wrong as long as you don't burn people's houses down for it.
- There are some things you can't become, even if you work hard to achieve your goals.
- Students are like hillbillies because they talk about teachers behind their backs, yet I talk about students behind their backs all the time.
- Partying is bad. If girls didn't go out drinking and partying, then date rape wouldn't exist. (ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?)
- It's completely understandable if you hit your kid once out of anger, and no one will care if you do, just as long as you don't hit them too often.
- You can't assume that a man is an alcoholic just because he publicly humiliated his daughter this morning when he stopped the car in the middle of traffic, pulled her out of the car, started screaming at her where an entire bus full of kids could see, and then drove off, leaving the girl there until a school nurse came to get her. The girl probably wasn't completely innocent, and she must have done something to provoke him.

Teachers should be good role models for students. I feel like I am getting stupider when I listen to her say stuff like that. emot-frown [/rant]

#61 | Back to Top04-10-2008 05:25:08 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Is that woman related to my soon-to-be-ex-stepfather? Because seriously, that sounds like a lot of the shit he would say. Stupid fucker.

#62 | Back to Top04-14-2008 11:28:14 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

Razara wrote:

A List of Stupid Things My English Teacher Has Said:
- Being a homophobe isn't wrong as long as you don't burn people's houses down for it.

Does that mean that bashing homos is AOK then?

- There are some things you can't become, even if you work hard to achieve your goals.

As sad as it is to agree, life is chock full of unfairness and the above statement ends up being true.  That been said, its not just how hard you work, its how smart you work too.

- Students are like hillbillies because they talk about teachers behind their backs, yet I talk about students behind their backs all the time.

I thought the real mark of the hillbilly was wanting to shag your siblings. (That puts Kozue in a bad light)

- Partying is bad. If girls didn't go out drinking and partying, then date rape wouldn't exist. (ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?)

Thats because it would be replaced with the old fashioned force her at knife point style of rape.

- It's completely understandable if you hit your kid once out of anger, and no one will care if you do, just as long as you don't hit them too often.

If by no one, he means the old fashion Bible basher types who believe that sparing the rod will spoil the child, then I am sad to say, would be correct.

On the other hand, you try that tactic in a lot of others places than you will get a lot of verbal abuse in responce.

- You can't assume that a man is an alcoholic just because he publicly humiliated his daughter this morning when he stopped the car in the middle of traffic, pulled her out of the car, started screaming at her where an entire bus full of kids could see, and then drove off, leaving the girl there until a school nurse came to get her. The girl probably wasn't completely innocent, and she must have done something to provoke him.

It might be some other problem involved besides alcoholism, maybe he was just born with the fucktard gene.

Teachers should be good role models for students. I feel like I am getting stupider when I listen to her say stuff like that. emot-frown [/rant]

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#63 | Back to Top04-15-2008 12:07:52 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Razara wrote:

This one, I think, is probably true. emot-frown

#64 | Back to Top04-15-2008 12:15:28 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It does kind of suck coming out of the mouth of a high school English teacher, but it is probably true.  That said, a lot depends on context.  If she said it after someone announced that they were going to run for president one day, that would make me a bit mad.  But if someone said they were going to grow up to be a cat (my ambition when I was four years old), the response would be appropriate.  emot-wink

#65 | Back to Top08-28-2008 10:37:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

'During illness, culturally acceptable sick role behaviors may range from aggressive, demanding behavior to silent passivity. Complaining, demanding behavior during illness is often reward with attention among American Jewish and Italian groups, whereas Asians and Native Americans are likely to be quiet and compliant during illness.'

A little gem from the cultural sensitivity section of a chapter on interviewing the patient in my Client Assessment class. I had to laugh. Jews = Italians! LOLZ. This would explain why James Caan can be Sonny Corleone, and Al Pacino can be Shylock. JEWS AND ITALIANS ARE LOUD AND BITCHY.

Also, we own everything, between the two groups.

#66 | Back to Top08-28-2008 10:47:03 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

When you PM'd this to me, you accidentally (?) wrote "rick" for "sick" in the first sentence.  My impulse was, clearly there is no such thing as a culturally acceptable rick role behavior.

Board footer