This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-25-2009 05:54:57 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Money saving ideas

I have some, but I can always use more! As a lot of us are students or young professionals with not-so-awesome paychecks, I bet a lot of IRGers could benefit from this. Here's some of what I do:

Minimizing Monthly bills: Mostly I do this by having as few as possible.

Eliminate cable.I borrow DVDs from the library or request box sets of my favorite shows for holidays or my birthday. I know this is hard, but if you're really struggling, its a good way to save.

2.Eliminate your landline phone Even if you have basic service, this adds up fast. I just keep my cellphone, and do most of my talking in the evening when minutes are free. Sprint is good for this as their free minutes start at 7 (a lot of places make you wait until 9), but lots of other plans have other compensations, too.

3.Buy those florescent bulbs The funny looking spiral ones. They look odd but it cut like $20 off my electric bill.

4.Turn your heater /AC down. Even 5 degrees makes a difference. It's a little less comfy but saves a lot. Even if it bugs me.

Shopping:

1. Shop the ads. It saves a lot on groceries, esp. if I take time to compare between stores, because they often compete with each other.

2. Stock up when its on sale, if there's room.

3. Buy some stuff at discount places, like Aldis. I wouldn't want to go there for meat or produce, but canned tomatoes are pretty much canned tomatoes.

4. Buy stuff ahead for next year at the end of the season. For instance I check clearance winter stuff as they are clearing out for the spring stuff, and vice versa.

5. Buy something on clearance only if I need it. I often get sucked in by the "but its so cheap!" trick and have to remind myself if i don't really need it its not a bargin.

Entertainment

1. Libraries are free! I get books and DVDs there.

2. I make myself a rule: I only buy a book or DVD if I'm going to read/watch it more than 5 times.

3. Try finding stores where you can trade in old music/games/DVDs for used or new ones. Several chains do this, but you often get a better deal if you can find a local, non-national store.

4. Invite people over for movie night or game night. It's cheaper than going out to a bar, and I still get to see my friends.

...okay I think I'm out for now. What I really need are some new ideas!
Anyone have any suggestions?

20 threads dead so far.

#2 | Back to Top01-25-2009 06:34:02 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Re: Money saving ideas

Turkey instead of chicken. Works a treat.
Plan meals. Also good.

Cook big meals and freeze some for later. You're more likely to actaully eat it that way.
Scrounge slightly-out-of-date/damaged stuff at work (ok, I'm a scrub like that, but I work in an off-license, can you blame me?).
Grow your own veg....
...or buy it small quantities that you're likely to actually use XD
Get drunk before you go out.
Avoid takeaways.
Don't do drugs.
Erm.......
Yeah, I'm out for now.
Hope it helps y'all!

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#3 | Back to Top01-25-2009 06:51:16 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

hollow_rose wrote:

1. Libraries are free! I get books and DVDs there.

And remember, if they don't have it at your library, ask if they have inter-library loan service.  Most libraries do, and they'll be able to order in your request from another library.

#4 | Back to Top01-25-2009 08:08:34 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Save plastic store baggies to use as trash bags.

Most fast-food joints won't miss the plastic utensils all that much.  (What? College students need plastic utensils)

If you live in a dorm, take advantage of the free local calling by using a cheap land based phone instead of your cell phone.  The only thing you would have to pay for is long distance, so as long as your family doesn't mind being called collect, you're set.

I'll second Aldi's.  And also, don't be afraid of things just because they aren't name-brand. 

www.teenfreeway.com  Just keep pretending you're eighteen and get some neat stuff. 

Take a calculator with you whenever you go shopping.  If a place takes a check or cash, leave the debit card at home.  It's easier to spend money when you can't see it leaving your hand.

Split meals at restaurants, and get waters.  Me and Stephanie split a meal at Cheddar's last night and were more than filled. (3.00 spent).

Smuggle your own snacks and sodas into Movie Theaters.

NEVER NEVER SHOP HUNGRY.  NEVER. I PHAIL AT THIS. 

If something you love offers online rewards, like Coke and mycokerewards.com, go ahead and participate.  There's not much chance you'll get anything good, but if you are going ahead and buying the product anyway, then why not?

#5 | Back to Top01-25-2009 09:13:25 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

When times get lean, ramen is your friend and lover.

If you can, avoid eating out as much as possible. You'd be shocked how much you spend to eat out compared to cooking your own food.

Buy store brand when you KNOW it doesn't affect the quality.

Big Lots, Dollar Tree, and the 99-Cent Only Stores are made of WIN.

Buy clothing from thrift stores and consignment shops.

Never pay full price for anything, if you can help it.

Frozen spinach is often more economical than fresh.

Constantly troll the "Reduced for Quick Sale" sections of grocery stores. I get $10+ ribeyes for $6 that way.

Unless you have specific allergies or chemical sensitivities, all shampoo is essentially the same. A bottle of $1.19 Suave is as good as $4.99 Pantene.

Diluting said shampoo is also good.

Sell things you don't need whenever you can.

Swapping can be awesome. What you get may not be new, but it'll be new to you.

If you live in a large city with mass transit, use it when you can, keeping safety in mind.

If you own a bicycle, use it.

You'd be surprised how far you can walk if you just get up and do it.

Don't leave your computer running all the time.

If you leave for the weekend, unplug as much as you can. Things that stay plugged in, even though they're not on or in use, eat electricity.

"Movie Nights" and "Game Nights" are great ways to avoid leaving the house and spending money.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#6 | Back to Top01-25-2009 09:32:15 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Unless you have specific allergies or chemical sensitivities, all shampoo is essentially the same. A bottle of $1.19 Suave is as good as $4.99 Pantene.

Actually, some shampoos suck. They leave my hair nasty. Shampoo/conditioner is one of the few things I always suggest spending a little extra on, because, at least to me, it makes a difference.

Same with hair color. Cheap stuff burns like hell.

One thing I suggest to save money is to spend the extra money for quality products to begin with. They'll last longer and cost less in the long run.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#7 | Back to Top01-26-2009 11:59:57 AM

lex
Master Dominus of SRS BZN

If you're a music addict like me and downloading is not your thing, have your friends make you mix CDs. Great way to get new music without having to necessarily buy it.

When buying clothing, shop out of season. Most stores mark down those items considerably, and you can get great staples at half the cost.

http://i47.tinypic.com/x6cz5y.jpg

#8 | Back to Top01-26-2009 09:45:47 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Thanks for the help! Any more suggestions from anyone else greatly appreciated!

20 threads dead so far.

#9 | Back to Top01-27-2009 04:35:19 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Internet Piracy is always a great way of saving money when it comes to music and movies. cool

#10 | Back to Top02-01-2009 02:53:58 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Tamago wrote:

Internet Piracy is always a great way of saving money when it comes to music and movies. cool

That is true! LOL mostly I try to use the libraries, though...
A lot of it is just cutting back and learning to deal with things you don't actually need. This extra semester of grad school was really not in my financial plans....
Thanks for the help!

20 threads dead so far.

#11 | Back to Top02-01-2009 03:56:43 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Tamago wrote:

Don't forget games emot-biggrin
*goes off to play with her naughty pirated version of FF7*
But really, is Britney Spears/Marilyn Manson/etc going to hurt terribly from the loss of the sale of an mp3 or 10? I think not.
I suppose the shampoo thing depends on your hair. It's all the same to me, but my hair is quite short and I wash it every day, so *shrug*.
On that note: short hair costs less emot-dance

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#12 | Back to Top02-01-2009 04:50:49 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

College Tips:

- If you're a college student, you might be elligible to use Ruckus, a free music downloading service with tons of music available for downloading. The downside is, is that you can't import the songs to an mp3 player due to the id3 tag protection, and you have to renew the songs every month (but this is automatic if you click on the song). Of course, there's a a way around this. emot-biggrin (Just search for a program to remove the locks from the songs and you're all set). All you need is a college e-mail address. (EDIT: Here's the link! Go to Ruckus)

- If you're living in the dorms and have a meal plan, use it! Freshmen at my college have unlimited plans, yet people still order out, which is ridiculous. Also, if you have the option, like say, there's a community kitchen available, try to get a limited meal plan, or no meal plan at all. My room has a kitchen, and I save so much money on food!

- When buying textbooks, always get them used. Sometimes, the notes left in the books are useful. Always see if Amazon sells your books. You can sometimes get better deals than the local bookstores. Then, research if your textbook will be used again the next semester. Books that are needed will have a much higher selling price. Try selling them on Half.com as well. You can name your own price. Another good idea is to sell your books to friends. They'll pay less while you charge more. emot-biggrin

- If your college is having a special event, even if it sounds cheesy, go! Special events are usually promotional events. Promotions mean free stuff. Sometimes food. Actually, most of the time, food is involved. Once, I was one of the last people to leave, and they had salsa samples left over from Chipotle. The people there were begging us to take them home. I grabbed 20 bags.

- Even though you're already in college, if you have nothing do to, get your ass off the chair and start filling out scholarship forms!

- College cinemas are usually free or very, very discounted.

- Skip out on the alcohol a bit. Seriously. Even though your peers say the opposite, you really don't need all the time.

- Ladies, do your own nails instead of going to the parlor. Sally Beauty has cheap stuff. China Glaze is the same company as OPI. Just so you know. You can get all you need for under $10 (and if you do your own nails frequently, it'll pay itself) instead of paying $20 or more at the parlor.

- Whenever you're paid, deposit at least 1/3 of it to your savings account.

Last edited by Rae (02-01-2009 04:52:23 PM)

#13 | Back to Top02-02-2009 04:06:05 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Miss Bluesky wrote:

Get drunk before you go out.

Good God as I think about this weekends outting... I wish I would have recalled that...damn it. Anyway It is much cheaper to drink at home. The same goes for food.

Also it pays to shop around you would be amazed how much prices vary form retailer to retailer.  school-eng101

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#14 | Back to Top02-03-2009 12:00:12 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Buy The Complete Tightwad Gazette. I'll pick through and post some stuff from it.... when I have time emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#15 | Back to Top02-03-2009 12:18:45 AM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I love threads like this. I'm incredibly frugal out of necessity but also just because I'm used to living that way. I think it can be smart (as long as you don't take it too extreme when you don't have to, its nice to spoil yourself once in a while) especially since if you do it right you can focus your extra spending money on the things you want most.

That's basically my tip. Budget budget, list lists. When it comes to the things you don't need but just want, like new clothing or a camera, write a list and prioritize what you want the most. Don't make a list of things you'd just like to have for the hell of it, make a list of the things you want that you know you would use a lot.

Then when you've budgeted the rest of your money well for your needs and you have a little spending money for yourself, you can decide smartly what you want to spend your extra money on or save it up for one of the more expensive things on your list.

I find this more cost-effective in the long run and more rewarding than just buying lots of cheap kinda-want-but-not-crazy-about things over time that pile up and don't get used.

I stalk the things I want to buy like prey. I buy a lot of things online so this is easy. (I would buy more locally because I think its better for the economy.. but I don't drive and have few opportunities to go to stores IRL, but also the things I want to buy tend not to be anywhere locally, like the type of hair dye or natural shampoo I use or the panties I like that don't come in my size in the stores in person) When I'm trying to decide what to buy online I take a while before I actually buy. I compare different websites, compare different items, brands, etc., read reviews, and most importantly, I search for coupon codes. It may seem like a lot of effort when I'm just buying only a few things, but it's extremely rewarding to me when I've spent a lot of time watching what I want and comparing and then ending up with the best deal I can find rather than if I just impulsively buy the first thing right away.

Wow, that was long. But, uhm, yeah. :3 Can you tell I'm also a member of poor_skills @ livejournal ? (Good community, for those interested)

Edit: I also agree that in some cases, expensive is better if we're talking about items that are better quality and will thus last longer or be better/healthier for you. (for me: natural shampoo/conditioner. I can't get enough of it. It's a little more pricey but it evens out because I only have to wash my hair twice a week, so I use less than if I had to use cheap shampoo/conditioner daily and it makes my hair healthier and less full of gross chemicals) But then some things, it really doesn't matter if its cheap or expensive because the quality isn't much different. Like dental floss. Do you need to pay more for scented dental floss? The cheap stuff does the job just as good.

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (02-03-2009 12:26:06 AM)

#16 | Back to Top02-03-2009 06:40:28 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Expanding on previous suggestion:

Fucking Goodwill/thrifty/used stores. Don't be too proud for it--going to one in a more literate corner of town means you're going to see a lot of clothing people bought, wore maybe once, and cleaned out of their closet months later. Ross, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory in order from cheapest to least are also fantastic for a deal.

When it comes to jewelry and such, etsy.com has lots of handmade stuff and often at surprisingly good prices, and novica.com has handmade jewelry and housewares from all over the world, not always cheap, but a quick google and you'll find constantly coupon codes for 15bux off 30, which makes several items half off. (Don't be afraid to be a douche and order one item at a time-they ship from location so you'll rarely get to group anyway, but fear not, the shipping is cheaper than it is locally.)

Makeup, frankly, I don't skimp on. I've had the same round of Mac stuff for years. Same for Lush. It hurts when you see the bill, but the product far outlasts anything you get in the drugstore and it works better.

My rule on impulse buys is that if I see something online, I bookmark it. If when I look a week later I still feel like I need it, I buy it. When I'm in a store, I'll grab stuff, and then spend 10 minutes looking through neckties or jewelry or something else that's either cheap or not likely to move me. By the end of that time I've usually decided half the stuff I'm carrying isn't necessary.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#17 | Back to Top02-03-2009 03:44:42 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Mmm, we have no landline here, and I'm the thermostat nazi around here. For a good sized 2-bedroom apartment our energy/heat bill was a respectable $80 last month, and this is in a cold climate.

Nice tips!

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#18 | Back to Top02-03-2009 05:34:38 PM

canned coelacanth
New Student

1. If you need to buy something expensive of nearly expensive, use the series of tubes that we call the Internet. Almost everything is cheaper online. If you need a laptop, go to Dell.com & look for (wait for) deals. If you need textbooks, go to DealOz.com (which used to be campusi.com)--it will give you the lowest prices from all the major booksellers. Look at half.com for books & DVDs. Look for stuff on eBay. Look for used stuff at Amazon. Use the Internet for phone service by using Skype rather than a landline.

2. Eat the same cheap crap (almost) all the time. There were a couple of times that I spent less than $20 in one month on food. Ramen. Corn chips w/ beans & melted cheese. Drink water. & for Christ's sake don't buy it in bottles (Are you insane?!). Also I'm a vegetarian. That probably helps.

3. Yeah, thrift stores are good!

4. Get a scooter. You'll likely be able to ride it half the year or more & you'll be spending a small fraction of what you'd otherwise spend on gas. In the end it'll pay for itself. Also it's a lot more fun than driving a car (depending on what kind of car you have of course).

On a related note:
5. Don't buy a new car. If you can get a decent used one (have a mechanic or a grease monkey family member check it out for you) it's unlikely that what you'll spend on repairs & maintenance in the next 5 years or so will be anywhere near what you'd spend on a new car over the same span.

6. Someone mentioned this, too, already, but get The Tightwad Gazette.

Last edited by canned coelacanth (02-03-2009 05:39:55 PM)

#19 | Back to Top02-03-2009 06:23:01 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Ta guys, and hello canned coelacanth. Awesome name, welcome to forums emot-smile

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#20 | Back to Top02-03-2009 06:47:27 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

When partying, make every second to third drink some kind of water with a lot of Vitamin B, this not only saves you some money, but also prevents hangovers especially if you got work/class the next day.

Cereals: If you are not after a big meal, even an expensive cereal is cheaper than most meals except maybe cup ramen.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#21 | Back to Top06-18-2011 11:51:14 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

NECRO FOR GREAT POVERTY.

I MEAN JUSTICE.

-When the opportunity presents itself, take advantage of free things.  You can save a lot of money by stocking up on the free little cups of various creamers and sugars they offer at gas stations and whatnot.  Will you look like a complete freak?  Yes.  A complete freak with LOTS OF CREAMER.  Then pre-brew and chill coffee and tea (or make a coffee concentrate, or simply save any leftover coffee from the morning's pot) so that you can make and enjoy iced coffees and the like without paying 3-5 dollars for one on your commute to work!  Do this with other things, such as syrups, honey, butter, bbq sauce.  Free is free -and I'm a fast food employee, trust me, the packeted stuff is so flipping cheap, we really don't care how much you take -so long as it's not so much that we have to bother with refilling it. 

-Find recipes that suit what you already have in your pantry.  Leftover sweetened and condensed milk?  Let's make Vietnamese iced coffee!  A spare avacado or lonesome can of chunky pineapple?  Remember that salads and omelettes are you leftover paradise -you'd be surprised what will taste amazing in them!  (I personally adore pineapple and ham omelettes oh. my. god). 

- Savemore.com and groupon are legit sites that offer AMAZING deals, and savemore gives you a ten dollar credit for buying coupons when you first sign on -I took advantage of this and bought a coupon good for 40 dollars worth of mineral make-up - and all I had to pay was shipping!

-Speaking of make-up, mineral make up can be cost effective if used (im)properly.  Because it's more lovey-dovey with your skin, you can wake up the next day wearing it because you worked late last night and it's a miracle you found your way home in the first place without guilt.  And we all know eyeliner looks way better the second day anyway.  emot-aaa Also, pretend you have uber sensitive skin and go around fancy make-up counters asking for samples so that you can try out products.  I have a wondaful moisturizer from Este Lauder -a sample no bigger than my thumb- that's great for brightening under my eyes, and I've been using it every day for two months, and it's barely made a dent!

-Always keep receipts, always ask a place about their return policy.  Even Wal-mart will give you a gift card refund if you've lost your receipt.  If you need an item for a one time use, like a nice pair of shoes or necklace, or just want a quick leg wax, this is your game.  Buy, use once, make up lame excuse and return.  YAY.  Yes, you can even do this with make up and such.  >.>

-Take advantage of the internet for not only great coupons and the wonderful cheapness that is ebay, but for maps.  There may be a shorter route to your job that you never even knew about, or a post office that was totally right around the corner howtheheckdidyounotnotice????

-Find out about and start donating plasma for cash.  The first trip can get you around 40-60 dollars, with a about 20 per visit after, two per week.  Most places have websites that will tell you all about donor requirements, locations, pay, what you need to do to prepare, the procedure and allow you to schedule an appointment online.

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (06-19-2011 10:43:26 PM)

#22 | Back to Top06-21-2011 05:04:49 PM

gpink
Eternal Castellan

I have some I want to post also.
If you live near a collage or university you could see if they need people for various scientific studies. The psych department always has those $10 compensation studies.

Follow the meal catering service and wait until the event is over then take the leftover food. My friends and I ended up with the equivalent of 3 boxes of cookies.

#23 | Back to Top07-01-2011 05:51:25 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

If you need to save on hygenics, most department stores/drugstores carry a cheap brand of 3-in-1 shampoo/body wash/bubble-bath that can save you some green.

Also, here are some sites.  Enjoy!

http://www.thatfreebiesite.com/   (Free samples and things)
http://www.buymebeauty.com/    (Ridiculously discounted high-end make-up products)
http://shortcuts.com/home          (Electronic and printable coupons!)

#24 | Back to Top07-02-2011 01:44:37 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Does anyone here play the Grocery Game? You have to pay five dollars a month, but I've heard it does all the work for you with finding good coupons and searching deals.

Hat Mafia Member

#25 | Back to Top07-03-2011 10:36:32 AM

KaleMarsh
High Tripper

Groupon!  If you want to treat yourself, that's the best way.  Plus, sometimes there are practical items.

Toilet paper.  Use one or two squares to wipe.

Brew your own coffee instead of stopping at a shop in the morning.  If a good cup is important to you, get a better machine.

Rewear outfits.  You've got a few days on those pants before they actually need washing.  Shame is an expensive emotion.

Roommates, but that's a no-brainer.  I currently don't have the luxury, and I'm already feeling it.

Vegetable dishes.

If you have a neighbor you feel comfortable approaching, see if you can get a shared internet plan.  This can really bite you in the ass if you aren't careful, so use this rule cautiously.

Believe it or not, you can find nice suits at Goodwill.

If your family has a shared mobile plan, ask your parents if they'll let you pay them for your portion instead of getting a new plan for yourself.  It's usually much cheaper.

Board footer