This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-20-2006 05:49:22 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Re: Who's Your Favorite Character?

Touga Kiryuu is the man!etc-love

then again....i love all the bishies....

except saionji emot-mad

hes no bishie.

a friend of mine obsesses over Mitsuru...i always found that kinda off about her...

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#27 | Back to Top10-20-2006 11:30:55 PM

Cruelly Innocent
New Student

I like all the characters as characters (though there's a few I'd want to dropkick into next week if I ever met them as real people). I like Utena -- I've found I have to like the main character of a series if I'm to stick with it -- but I'm especially fond of Shiori. Along with Utena, she evokes the "You idiot, don't do that!" response from me.

#28 | Back to Top10-21-2006 07:22:52 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

Sounds like sympathetic magic. emot-biggrin But yeah, I've noticed that too. Also that Nanami seems to get in a lot of trouble from animals. The horse, the kangaroo, the animals in Anthy and Utena's room freaking her out when she tried to pull her tricks.. And Anthy -loves- animals and has them everywhere. Hmm. ;3

I know Anthy is a witch and witches have familiars but in Anthy's case, animals seem drawn to her somehow and she loves animals back.  Even as the Rose Bride where she more or less adopts some her Engaged's traits and desires and mirrors them, she still have cute animal friends like you would expect from a fairytale princess. emot-keke

Last edited by Tamago (10-21-2006 07:24:02 AM)

#29 | Back to Top10-22-2006 01:42:37 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I like most of the cast, for different reasons, but here are a few and my commentary on them.

Juri - Yes, I'm a fanboy, and yes she is hot, but it's more than just that. Juri's the perfect person you see every day and either hate to love or love to hate; and part of you wants to be her, part of you wants to get in her pants and part of you wants to push her in the mud just for the sake of messing up her perfect clothes. Or maybe that's just me. But what I really like about her is that she has more depth than her surface persona. She's basically a foil for Utena (in the manga that's ALL she is, but manga-Juri bores me) with her difference being the lack of innocence. She's the innocent, idealistic kid who was forced to grow up before she wanted to. It's her heartbreak that makes her real to me, especially since I've been stuck on someone for much longer than I'd liked to have been.

Nanami - I think she's probably the most dynamic character of the series. She starts off primarily as comic relief but develops a real niche by the end of it and by the time all of the drama with Touga rolled around I was actually interested in it. She's probably the most "normal" of the entire cast. She's neurotic, selfish and obsessive, but that seems to be a caricature of half the people I know. I think she's always aware on some level that her power over her followers is tenuous at best but she forces herself to not think about it until the issue shows up in full force.

Ruka - He's no Touga, but he is popular enough in his own right. He's too stuck on Juri for his own good (much in the way she's stuck on Shiori really) and I don't think he even sees how much that drives his actions. His primary reason for hating Shiori is that she occupies the place in Juri's heart that he wants for himself, and while his actions were driven by the hurt she inflicted on Juri that was a secondary reason in his heart if not his mind. He's arrogant, cruel in a removed sort of way and he thinks he knows better than anyone else what they need. He's not afraid to hurt the people that he cares about to do what he thinks necessary; he really seems to believe that the ends justify the means. Actually, I don't like Ruka, but I see more of myself in him than I'd like to.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#30 | Back to Top10-22-2006 03:44:44 PM

jmie5
Precious One

I have a hard with favorites.  I like all the characters to different degrees, but I have my picks, and they would be Saionji, Touga, Akio, and Nanami in that order. 

Touga and Akio are quite popular.  Both are confident men, walking sex pots, ambitious, clever, compassionate or damn good at faking it, etc.  I prefer Touga's humanity, though.  It's the little things, how he tries to warn Utena after his failed duel with Saionji as his rose bride to beware of the Chairman, or how when that girl came to him to confess her love, he just smiled and thanked her as opposing to crushing her feelings, like Saionji might have.  He doesn't exploit people for fun.  Enough said about Akio; he's too damn popular and smart anyway.

I have to talk about why I like Nanami though.  My biggest objections to Nanami were that she acted as a complete conniver against Anthy, wanted to see an already injured and seemingly socially shy girl break down and cry and be shunned.  That and she put a living kitten into a box and let it go over the waterfall just because her brother wasn't paying attention to her.  I think her love for her brother can be argued quite a few ways. 

But I'll say this.  I have an older brother who I don't get to see very often.  Now, my family is very close, but my brother is semi-wealthy, successful, and admired in the community for his youth leadership positions and all that.  I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm his little sister, but I'd like it if he made an effort to spend time with me.  More than that, when he does talk to me, I'd like it if it was more than pretense and superficiality.  And furthermore, I'd like it that if even I can't have that, he wasn't being called away by his duties all the time or just going off on his own accord, strongly independent. 

I can relate to Nanami for wanting a big brother's attention.  It sort of hurts being told, "Go away!  I'm playing with the cat!" when you found the cat just to make that person smile and be happy.  Possibly so that they would smile at you.  And when she sees the kitten's face, is able to realize that the cat is dying and by her hand as it goes over the waterfall, she runs away crying.  How many years ago was that?  And she remembers it, as she's sobbing into her big brother's chest, begging for forgiveness for that and arguably other things.  She knows her actions have been terrible and inappropriate, and she's remourseful for at least that moment.  Besides, who else does Nanami have that's so close to her, if not Touga?  And Touga's interests lie in his independence, his duties with the student council, and all the other women that he's chasing.  I think Nanami just has to wonder, "What's wrong with me as a woman?" not in a sexual sense, but just as someone to be valued.

Not to mention that she's a darn good duelist and qualified to carry out Touga's duties on the student council.  Like she once said to Utena, she shouldn't be underestimated.  Heck, even in that duel against Utena, where she keeps going, even after she's lost and breaks the rules, part of that can arguably be ambition.  If Akio can be admired for being a bad-ass rule breaker, a visionary of revolution, I can see Nanami as breaking the bounds as well in saying, (not verbally) "This duel isn't over yet, and I will have my prince!"

Saionji

Saionji is my favorite character, my pick of the litter so to speak.  Well, I guess I should start listing qualities of why.  He's quite lovely to look at, has hair with so much body to it that only Anthy's can rival it, he's an excellent kendoist (is that a word?) he's intelligent, and he's very loyal to a point. 

Yes, I know he bitch slaps Anthy, which is terrible.  He even bitch-slapped poor little Miki, which sickenly enough, I thought was hilarious.  Mostly because he broke the gender slap barrier and how immaturely Saionji handled the situation, just slap!

I think I like Saionji because he's so damn complex.  When we first see him, he's the picture of self-assuredness and arrogance, slapping his fiancee.  Then he's demoted to bewildered classmate who's lost a major chunk of power.  And then he's redeemed by his childhood I think.  I like to think of child Saionji, how rational he was.  He didn't want Utena to lay in that coffin forever.  Heck, he looked like he just wanted to go home woth Touga and get the girl out of there, so they wouldn't be in a dark chapel with it raining outside.  Just a few years later, we see him with Anthy.  And we know that all his arrogance was an act. 

Saionji always loses against Touga; yet when Touga objects to his treatment of the Rose Bride, Saionji tells Touga that he's free to duel him for her.  In my mind, Touga couold have easily had the Rose Bride, if he wanted her.  But he had no reason to duel Saionji or it wasn't in the game plan, in the course of things that would bring about revolution.  Saionji has won the trophy of the school by his best/most obvious skill, his swordsmanship, and Touga can't take it away.   Saionji knows this, hence he allows himself to be cocky and arrogant. 

I swear, things just keep getting taken away from that boy.  There goes his childhood closeness with Touga the night of the coffin, there goes his Rose Bride at Utena's hand, there goes his membership to Ohtori Academy at his best friend's hand, there goes the remainder of his best friend because he's following Akio, and there goes his masculinity as he plays Touga's Rose Bride in their duel against Utena. (Has anyone ever noticed that you hardly see his face at all in that duel?  For example, as he's riding in the Akio car, as Touga's running around, his hair is obscuring his face.) I'm not saying he's some tragic wilting flower.  I'm just saying that for all his bitch-slapping and anger and immaturity, he's incredibly insecure at times.  You try to tell him he's wonderful like poor Wakaba in a love note, and he posts it on a bulletin board as a public mockery.  He would never believe it himself.  And I think he knows that he is worthy, but he just keeps getting smacked down.  So... hence the slapping on his part.  Fear my emotional wrath!

Therefore, I admire Saionji as the once hopeful kid that is now a rather ambiguous adult that once believed that he had a place, a say in things like friendship and the Rose Bride's affections, before he realizes h'es just a pawn and lashes out.  Screw conformity.  Same for me, Saionji rocks.

(My apologies for how long this is.)

#31 | Back to Top10-22-2006 04:21:16 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

jmie5 wrote:

Touga and Akio are quite popular.

My god, how times have changed. emot-aaa I remember when Akio was sucking scum right next to Shiori on the occasion people talked about him. Rightly so, of course, he's a godless bastard, but his fan count used to be pathetically low...I think I built the second or third shrine for him back when Juri and Touga had new ones popping up every day. emot-redface

Also, I agree 100% about Saionji. etc-love Saionji.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#32 | Back to Top10-22-2006 04:30:54 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

You know I think you might be the one to thank for that perhaps. Since you and Yasha are pretty much the steamroller's of the Utena Fan Base. Though... I have yet to understand why Mikage and Ruka lack a solid fan base.

#33 | Back to Top10-22-2006 04:40:55 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

For Ruka, only appearing in two episodes probably has something to do with it.

I don't know anyone who didn't like Ruka, but it's hard* to feel too much for a character who's barely in the series.

* yet not even remotely impossible, obviously.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#34 | Back to Top10-22-2006 04:44:01 PM

Xu Yuan
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Ah, the problem with that is, you need to think of what kind of person he was before he was hospitalized. Juri makes a strange comment in regards to "What a bastad you've become!" Seeming that he didn't have such an attitude before. True his personality may come alot from assumption's. Though besides that... man I can't hold a point to save my life...

#35 | Back to Top10-22-2006 05:06:14 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Xu Yuan wrote:

You know I think you might be the one to thank for that perhaps. Since you and Yasha are pretty much the steamroller's of the Utena Fan Base. Though... I have yet to understand why Mikage and Ruka lack a solid fan base.

Personally I think the Ruka thing comes from the fact Juri is such a well-liked character and therefore people see his actions as overly heavy-handed. Personally I loved what Ruka did -- sure, I'd hate it if somebody did it to ME, but I don't go to Ohtori Academy now do I. emot-keke

As for Mikage -- I would imagine it is the slipperiness of his character that leaves him a bit on the outside when it comes to the fanbase. I find most of his fans to either be intellectuals themselves or the type who think outside the box and just love to waste hours trying to work out what the hell just happened in that arc. All Utena fans like analysis to some degree, I am sure -- it's hardly something you'd watch for translucent fluff, after all! -- but I think the Mikage fans REALLY like it. Hell, you just wouldn't get him at all, otherwise. ^___^

...and feel free to point out if I am wrong on either account. I'm biased, as I said -- I wanted to mack on Ruka something silly after I first saw his two episodes, and Mikage is the whole reason I fell in love with the show in the first place. etc-wankgirl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#36 | Back to Top10-22-2006 07:12:08 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Clarice wrote:

Personally I loved what Ruka did -- sure, I'd hate it if somebody did it to ME, but I don't go to Ohtori Academy now do I. emot-keke

Ruka strikes me as being the most successful manipulator in the whole series. While he does pay a huge price for his actions, it seems like everything that happens from the moment he shows up is exactly how he planned it. And while the way he does things are very harsh, he does do it all out of love.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#37 | Back to Top10-22-2006 10:55:39 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Ruka is the man. I'm a big fan. etc-love him. Those two episodes are maybe the two most well-executed of the series. Love the three windows, three chairs, triangles on the floor, yay! So many threesome images. And the look on Ruka's face when Juri asks him to take Shiori back. Poor guy, he just can't believe it. Someone should give Shiori a taste of her own medicine. And it worked. I also think Ruka is the type of person Touga wants to be at the end of the series. Touga, inspired by Utena, sees the value of saving someone and thinking about someone other than himself. Ruka is already there and he's decided to use his last hours to save Juri.

#38 | Back to Top10-22-2006 11:38:13 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Xu Yuan wrote:

You know I think you might be the one to thank for that perhaps. Since you and Yasha are pretty much the steamroller's of the Utena Fan Base. T

...oh?

I feel so powerful. ...like I should get myself a fast car.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#39 | Back to Top10-22-2006 11:49:31 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

My dear, if you get yourself a fast car, you're going to take me for a ride.

Just don't hop over the hood, it'll interfere with all of my plans. etc-wankgirl

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#40 | Back to Top10-23-2006 09:05:37 AM

.deep.blue.
Miki Molester

Hmm... I thought I posted in this thread before.... o.O

Anyway..

My faves have to be Utena, Himemiya and Touga, but my newest fave is Ruka D:

Ruka strives to be perfect and extremely skilled. I want to be extremely skilled as well and I strive to be damn good D: I just hope that I dont come down with a ailment just like him emot-frown

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h57/_deep_blue_/Astarot/asatarotsig.gif

emot-keke

#41 | Back to Top10-23-2006 10:09:51 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

My favorites are...

1. Wakaba: She's the underrated, cute, fawning, genki, Onion Princess!  Oooh! I just wanna hug her!
2. Nanami: I'm a lot like Nanami in general.  I also feel really sorry for her... she loves her brother and wants him to love her... but she can't see through his caring facade.
3. Juri: She rocks.  Now if only she would get over Bitchola Numero Uno Shiori!!! I HATE SHIORI WITH A PASSION!!!!!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#42 | Back to Top10-23-2006 11:47:19 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

That's going to be very difficult...

First of all, Juri, because she is just perfect: brave, stong, skilled, so powerful... Then, I ended loving Shiori and Ruka as much as I loved Arisugawa. This plot line is superb, and when I finally saw the film I worshipped Juri and Shiori more than ever (although Shiori was a bloody traitor, but that's not the point).

Then, I passed the Mikage-period, in which I felt like I could die for Mikage and specially Mamiya. Of course, it suited the Arcs: on the TV they launched (I mean, they were launching) the Black Rose Arc. Yes, people said he was cold and insensitive, but... He's so f***ing attractive!

And finally I fell under the power of the Secretary Akio, who seduced me in the same way he was seducing Utena. And in spite of the fact that in episode 33-35 I started to suspect about his real intentions, I didn't notice how bad things were going on until episode 38 (yes, I know I was late and clueless).

I am really sorry about my poor English emot-frown

#43 | Back to Top10-23-2006 12:41:24 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

hyacinth_black wrote:

3. Juri: She rocks.  Now if only she would get over Bitchola Numero Uno Shiori!!! I HATE SHIORI WITH A PASSION!!!!!!

That's why being a Shiori fan is a fate I wouldn't wish on my enemies. emot-gonk

You all say that Juri is perfect, but keep in mind that Juri's perfection was Shiori's downfall. The way I see it, growing up with a best friend like Juri left a negative affect on Shiori. Having everything about herself compared to "perfect, brave, and strong" Juri left her with low self-esteem, and so she couldn't understand why someone as amazing as Juri would want to be friends with someone as pathetic as her. In other words, she thought the only person she ever cared about felt nothing but pity for her. This resulted in her desperate attempt to do anything she could to put herself on the same ground as Juri.

#44 | Back to Top10-23-2006 02:48:09 PM

Dulcinea
Wakaba Wrangler

Razara wrote:

That's why being a Shiori fan is a fate I wouldn't wish on my enemies. emot-gonk

Aww, we should start a support group! emot-smile Or perhaps a campaign.

Favorite characters...let's see. Utena, Anthy, Nanami, Touga, Juri, Shiori, Mikage, Kozue, and occasionally Akio or Saionji come to mind. In no particularly order, but Utena winning the most points in terms of OMGhot.

#45 | Back to Top10-23-2006 04:02:30 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Dulcinea wrote:

Favorite characters...let's see. Utena, Anthy, Nanami, Touga, Juri, Shiori, Mikage, Kozue, and occasionally Akio or Saionji come to mind. In no particularly order, but Utena winning the most points in terms of OMGhot.

Yeah, after Utena's table cloth trick with Anthy, I was in love. But hey, her best line? Episode 37 "Let's go." Now that's a hero. Someone else on here said that it's rare for the main character of a show to be the favorite character as well. I think that's true. Maybe that's why I like Utena so much.

#46 | Back to Top10-23-2006 04:17:08 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I disagree that Juri is perfect. None of them are. Juri appears "perfect", though. She appears strong and powerful, but deep down she has a huge weakness for Shiori. Ironic, since as Razara said, Juri's perfection is Shiori's downfall.

Juri's obsession over Shiori and the way she keeps her feelings locked up inside and obsesses over them, while trying to appear so strong and flawless, is definitely a huge fault.

#47 | Back to Top10-23-2006 04:36:25 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

SleepDebtFairy wrote:

I disagree that Juri is perfect. None of them are. Juri appears "perfect", though. She appears strong and powerful, but deep down she has a huge weakness for Shiori. Ironic, since as Razara said, Juri's perfection is Shiori's downfall.

Juri's obsession over Shiori and the way she keeps her feelings locked up inside and obsesses over them, while trying to appear so strong and flawless, is definitely a huge fault.

I do not think that Juri is perfect. As you said, Juri's weakness is her feelings for Shiori, but other than that she appears to be perfect. While we know all too well of that weakness, Shiori had no way of knowing that "deep down" Juri had a weakness for her.  In Shiori's eyes, Juri was perfect, and as far as she knew the only feelings she had for her were feelings of pity. While being strong and flawless may be an act, it was enough to convince Shiori.

#48 | Back to Top10-23-2006 05:29:14 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Razara wrote:

I do not think that Juri is perfect. As you said, Juri's weakness is her feelings for Shiori, but other than that she appears to be perfect. While we know all too well of that weakness, Shiori had no way of knowing that "deep down" Juri had a weakness for her.  In Shiori's eyes, Juri was perfect, and as far as she knew the only feelings she had for her were feelings of pity. While being strong and flawless may be an act, it was enough to convince Shiori.

Oh, I never meant that Shiori had any reason to believe that Juri wasn't perfect. XD; As far as Shiori is concerned, Juri IS perfect, and that's the cause of her problems. I just meant to say that Juri isn't perfect like many of her fans believe.

#49 | Back to Top10-23-2006 05:41:25 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

It's a good thing that so-called perfect characters are not so perfect, after all, Perfection is Boring! thats one of the key reasons why people hate 'Mary-Sue' fanfics so much but I digress.

Another character that I like, would have to be Tsuwabuki. emot-smile  His dream of becoming Nanami's 'big brother' was so great that he didn't just stand back and sigh in longing like most people when their dream is most likely out of reach, he schemed various schemes to make himself appear better than Touga in her eyes. 

Makes you wonder if Akio could have been born as Akio instead of being the result of Anthy's 'need to protect' Dios, if he would have being anything like Tsuwabuki when he was at Tsuwabuki's age? school-freud

I hoped I expressed myself properly as I get the feeling that somewhere between what I am thinking and what I type out, that something gets lost somehow.

Last edited by Tamago (10-23-2006 05:41:40 PM)

#50 | Back to Top10-23-2006 05:55:18 PM

Suyo
Tenjou Tilter

I like and relate to most: Juri Arisugawa. Hiding her true feelings and such, exactly how I act. How strong she is on the outside and such, just like me. And again, we're both have a weak side. We both like someone of the same gender, too >_>;;
Yep, her story basically sums up mine.. Not only that, though, I love her character because of her strong determination and power.

In second, I love Utena. Her 'goal' to become a prince, even though she's a girl, somehow makes me happy. All the stuff she's put through and how she gets through it all, very powerful...

I hate Ruka...lots...and Akio...and Anthy, a little...

Nanami! She's so crazy and...stupid... I luffs her etc-love

Miki Koaru is the CUTEST! etc-love I loves him.
(my crush is going to dress as him for sakura-con! makes me wanna go as Juri, but I'm a boy T-T)

Kozue scares me because of her sluty-ness.. (What exactly did she do with Akio?) >_>;;;;

Most of this is just rambling... My all time favorite is Juri.. etc-love

May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy it be granted Glory.

Board footer