This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-07-2011 11:29:26 AM

codeblackhayate
When did we get pyrotechnics?

SKU:PID, the kind of abridged Utena Parody

This has been a long time in the making, but it's finally done! Yet another Utena Abridged/Parody series! Hopefully you all will enjoy it as much as we did when we were making it! This is the big project I was making rings for! Eventually I want all of my cast to have them :3

Shōjo Kakumei Utena Parody Internet Drama
(A.K.A. Utena Parody or SKU:PID)

SKU:PID Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnjXPRsrdAY

CAST
codeblackhayate: Wakaba, Juri
R4v3nbr4in: Utena
HandsomeZelos: Saionji, Touga
SimplySpiral: Anthy
MugiMikey: Miki, Male Student 1,3
sandersthepimp: Dios
SkyYuyo: Teacher, Male Student 2

SKU:PID Episode 2 - Necromatic Parody Utena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4HztLVtPq0

CAST
codeblackhayate: Wakaba
R4v3nbr4in: Utena
TheOnlyFlorence: Saionji, Touga
SimplySpiral: Anthy
MugiMikey: Miki, ChuChu
Icysapphire: Juri

Teaser #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dR1ejNh3I
Cast:
codeblackhayate
sandersthepimp

Teaser #2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_lGcroNaME
Cast:
codeblackhayate
R4v3nbr4in
HandsomeZelos
SimplySpiral

Written and edited by codeblackhayate

Last edited by codeblackhayate (11-25-2014 06:27:51 PM)

Take my Revolution and shove it!

| SKU:PID Utena Parody |

#2 | Back to Top05-08-2011 02:26:50 PM

purplepolecat
Atlantean Singer

Re: SKU:PID, the kind of abridged Utena Parody

Pure gold. The Wakaba fanfic was a stroke of genius. The editing and voice acting was nice and professional too.

If only all abridged series could be this good.

We're here, we're queer, we don't want any more bears!
Honorary Hat Mafia Member
Now Playing: Bear Supply - "I Maul Out Of Love"

#3 | Back to Top05-08-2011 07:17:05 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I am very surprised -it's obvious a lot of time and effort went into this!  Plus, you didn't rip off of Naji's jokes or rely on already popular names to garner views like some other abridged SKU I could mention....  You even set up a hilarious sort of new plot structure for future episodes to follow -and nothing suits Utena like meta-humor.  Your voices were also very good -Wakaba and Saionji sound remarkably similar to the english VA's! 

The criticisms I have are that Anthy's voice is hard to understand at times -the sound quality is pretty rough on her in addition to her voice being softer, and some scenes in general the music is a little too loud.  You may also need to trim down some unnecessary dialogue - such as a few of Utena's response's to Wakaba's name-introduction scene that were more filler than funny.  Some of the longer bits of dialogue also needed a bit more oomph, as either the VA got a bit wooden (like they were reading versus acting, which is understanding when the line is long) or their wasn't much editing flair and it was just a character's face or a still shot during.  Some snappy editing will really help spruce up those scenes and help with comedic timing.  Some scenes can be written/edited to be much shorter, so you don't have to force humor into a scene because you otherwise need it there to help the plot make sense.  Most viewers of this will have already seen Utena, so straying from the confines of what happens in each episode won't make anything too incoherent. 

But seriously, considering this is your FIRST episode the fact those those niggling, insignificant things were all I could criticize is AMAZING - most, if not all, first episodes for an Abridged series are awful -even the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh abridged was pretty much kinda lame.  This is right-out-the-door very polished and funny.  emot-smile

#4 | Back to Top05-09-2011 11:39:52 AM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

That was pretty good! The writing was intelligent and the voice acting was great.

Like OITL said, Anthy's voice was hard to understand but that was the only problem in my opinion.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#5 | Back to Top05-09-2011 01:23:09 PM

codeblackhayate

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! I "stared" it about a year go, so it took a while to work out the cast, level up in editing, and finally stop tweaking it and release. It was originally a scene-for-scene parody of the first episode, but I ended up cutting at least a third of it (even longer monologues! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!). The morph to a different format still kind of works, but the pacing and transitions suffered. It's still more of a parody than an abridged series, but we'll see how the writing develops!

Anthy (Spirals), Utena (R4v3n), and Miki(Mikey) don't have condenser microphones (though Mikey has upgraded, so his Miki lines should have a big jump in quality.), and I have to manually clean every line. For Sprials, her mic quality is usually passable on louder characters, but not so much on the quiet whisper lines I asked for. About half of the cast received directing, while the others were kind of on their own....and it makes a noticeable difference in the deliveries. Utena and Spirals are also super new to playing series leads, but I'm sure they'll continue to grow the roles. Now that I have an episode to use as a baseline for mixing and editing, and the mic qualities of the full cast to consider, it'll be a lot easier to mitigate the growing pains. As for snappy editing, most of the series is still shots, panning, and recycled footage. I'm not a big fan of intensive shooping/masking and a bit of a crappy editor, but perhaps if I get a better processor and more practice I'll be able to thrown in some sparkle.

#6 | Back to Top05-10-2011 10:08:39 AM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

It was great, the quality reminds me of dbz abridged. emot-dance

But I agree with Light, I couldn't understand half of what Anthy was saying.

The entire episode was pretty funny, but def my favorite part was the personification of Dios as a pimp. I can't wait to see what you do with Akio. Keep it up!

Last edited by Absolute Apocalypse (05-10-2011 10:11:17 AM)

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#7 | Back to Top05-10-2011 11:18:40 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Lo-Lo-Loved Wakaba's voice work! The humor during the battle scenes was handled very well too, and it must be hard to do that in a series with a lot of those. To be honest, I already like it better than the other two out there.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#8 | Back to Top05-10-2011 11:30:58 AM

persnec
New Student

I'm afraid I have nothing new to add but my support! I must admit that I did cringe at the thought of this before I watched it, given that there are so many awful abridged series out there. But to totally repeat what others have said here, this has to be the greatest 'abridged parody' I've seen - which is quite something seeing as it's only the first episode.

The meta humour and the intelligent writing is wonderful. etc-love Very much looking forward to the next episode!

#9 | Back to Top05-10-2011 12:24:20 PM

codeblackhayate

: D I'm glad you all enjoy it! It was fun voicing Wakaba! I totally wrote the script at 2 am ,after weeks of lack of sleep. It the only time Utena makes perfect sense, and apparently, the only time I can make write anything decent, so perhaps I'll have to do that for the next one as well. No pressure, right? emot-gonk

The other two series aren't my cup of tea (Jpaul and Whip), but I really loved Nanji's from back in the day. It was super awesome given the available resources of the time. Shame it stopped updating!

#10 | Back to Top05-10-2011 03:51:25 PM

iatemylavalamp
Touga Topper

I'm gonna have to agree about anthy's voice being a bit unclear- other than that, I was dying of laughter! Really, you did a fantastic job!! etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

#11 | Back to Top05-10-2011 04:48:53 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I think there's a device that can help prevent muffling sounds - I can't remember what it's called - a p filter?  They're pretty cheap and smooth out the harsh sounds p and b sounds make due to the harsh air they cause you to expel, which may be the issue -if she has to whisper chances are she's moving closer to the mike in order to be heard. 

Also, just noticed Utena calls Saionji lucky charms.

And that Touga's VA is amazing as well.  Same dude who does Saionji?  HOW SYMBOLIC. 

Juri:  *ahem*
Touga:  You count as a guy.
Juri:  I meant Miki.

emot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-rofl

#12 | Back to Top05-10-2011 05:27:23 PM

codeblackhayate

Pop Screen, Wind Screen, etc. You can make a cheapie one using socks, pantyhose, and other odd things around the house, but it doesn't help from muffling sounds or make pronunciation clearer. They break the puffs of air from your mouth to keep them from hitting the mic and making unwanted noise. She doesn't have much of a puff problem, more of a enunciation and projection issue that get magnified on quiet lines (She keeps improving every take, so the next episode should be beast).

You can hear her with the same mic here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxbt_ZsOQAs (Fish selling girl)

She's whispering because I asked her to play the character that way. The SNR is a lot worse when she's quiet as well, so cleaning is a bit more of an adventure. It sounds fine on my computer, but it's not the case with a lot of people. In short, I failed a bit at mixing and directing her. I liked the effect, and it sounds passably quiet on my mixing computer, but it doesn't go over so well on other speakers. My work computer, for example, makes the final mix sound a lot different (Super loud BGM! :\)  When I was tweaking, some of the beta viewers found her too loud, the others didn't have a problem, and only one though she was too quiet. I'll rope some more of my buddies to QC the next episode.

SYMBOLISM??!!!1 NOW SKU:PID HAS LAYERS TOO!

Saionji - He's magically delicious.
etc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowanketc-saiowank

HZ is going to have a crapton of fangirls and fanboys. emot-dance I'm going to tease him like nobodies business<3

#13 | Back to Top05-10-2011 06:40:59 PM

Malacoda
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Wow. I never knew an abridged series could be so meta. The SPG were already engaging in some meta shenanigans so (if they ever show up) will they be even odder?

This series is pretty awesome so far. I have only a few negative things to say. Anthy's voice is very soft, but people have already mentioned that. The only other thing I've noticed is the music. I know which scenes had certain music in the original series, so hearing "The Belladonna's Trap" (a remix of Poison that appears in the movie) during a scene that didn't involve Anthy or Akio ruined some of the humor of that scene.

Also, I know it's supposed to be funny, but hearing Wakaba wishing for a romantic subplot with Saionji made me cringe because she's foreshadowing her own Black Rose Arc episode. emot-gonk

#14 | Back to Top05-10-2011 08:41:35 PM

CoffinBreaker
Rose Bride

You can barely hear Anthy most of the time, but that's just a small technical problem in an overall superb abridged series. Really, you all deserve serious poptart for this!

You don't need to understand Revolutionary Girl Utena to understand it.

#15 | Back to Top05-10-2011 08:51:38 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

emot-dance poptart emot-dance

ROCKIN' AWESOME.

Saionji sounds like he owns a plantation in Jamaica. school-eng101

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#16 | Back to Top05-10-2011 08:54:39 PM

Grinning Maniac
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Although I've never actually watched an episode of this show (don't hurt me), I still found this to be frickin hilarious. Great work. emot-rofl

#17 | Back to Top05-10-2011 08:59:26 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Also please do episodes with Akio in them and keep the ANGRY BRUTHA voice. Please? emot-frown

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#18 | Back to Top05-11-2011 01:57:24 AM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Ooooh....oooh, that hit the spot. Finally, I get to see Dios as a jive-talking bitch-smackin' pimp. My dreams have finally been fulfilled.

And I second Gio - Saionji's aristocratic tone is cream.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#19 | Back to Top05-11-2011 09:31:52 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I doe one would like to hear Akio sound a lot like Obama. emot-tongue

#20 | Back to Top05-14-2011 06:18:44 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

Tamago wrote:

I doe one would like to hear Akio sound a lot like Obama. emot-tongue

I have to disagree, I think Obama-voice would be better as Dios--since he's a dark-skinned man who embodied idealism. Akio still has to be a pimp, no question. As an aside, you'd be surprised at the weird stuff there are sound clips of Obama saying, since he narrated his own audio book. I have clips of him saying stuff like, "You know that guy ain't shit," "Who am I, your bitch, nigga? Buy your own damn fries," and "there are white people, and then there are ignorant motherfuckers like you." Makes me really want to see a mash-up...if only my computer had the processing power to video edit. emot-mad

Anyway, that was GREAT, and you have a lot of story set-up for other episodes. Waaaaay better than that other one made by those big names, which had barely any jokes and was barely abridged at all(still don't understand why they did it...). I'm REALLY looking forward to more. Being meta really works for this show.

Some of you seem like you haven't seen a lot of abridged series, so I'm going to have to recommend Sailor Moon Abridged. It's at least up there with DBZ Abridged and Yugi-Oh Abridged. Honestly, it's my favorite out of the three, especially for those of us who grew up on the show and now realize how absolutely ridiculous the show is now. And Sailor Mars, just...Abridged Sailor Mars. And if you enjoy the meta humor, check out Rose of Versailles Abridged for lots of jabs at historical fiction adaptations.

Last edited by Frau Eva (05-14-2011 06:26:38 PM)

Hat Mafia Member

#21 | Back to Top05-17-2011 08:22:49 PM

Absolute Apocalypse
Saionji Slapper

Well, it depends from person to person.

Some people would say Obama embodies fake idealism. Just like Akio's.

While Dios stays true to his pimp roots and doesn't try hard to be someone else.

Its just a matter of perspective. emot-biggrin

"Challenging the sword of dios with a simple bamboo practice sword?" etc-saiowank

Always do things the saionji way.

#22 | Back to Top05-18-2011 03:27:31 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

I would love it if Nanami could sound like Sailor Moon Abridged's version of Sailor Mars, that would fricking arsesome.

#23 | Back to Top05-19-2011 10:14:07 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Juri:  *ahem*
Touga:  You count as a guy.
Juri:  I meant Miki.

emot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-roflemot-rofl

This bit absolutely slayed me as well! XP I quite liked the first episode, looking forward to the rest. :3 I can also highly agree on SMA being amazing. I need to get back to watching it... emot-tongue

#24 | Back to Top05-19-2011 12:09:10 PM

codeblackhayate

Tamago wrote:

I would love it if Nanami could sound like Sailor Moon Abridged's version of Sailor Mars, that would fricking arsesome.

I haven't seen more than an episode of SMA, but SKU:PID will be more fandubby than voice-gimmicky and I'm not in the business of yoinking other people's characterizations. Thus, no Sailor Mars.

Also, Obama as series!Akio is super unsettling. >___< Dunno how that'd turn out with movie!Akio. Someone could probably pick up this idea and run with it though! I don't know about you guys, but I think Utena could use a few more parody series. It'd also be pretty sweet if a few groups got together and did a giant collab and made a few interlinked AU parodies of the movie. Talk about layers!

etc-love Pyro user title.

#25 | Back to Top05-19-2011 12:25:41 PM

Chrome Homura
Poor Saionji :(

Okay, admittedly I've been watching this thread and avoiding watching the episode because I was worried I wouldn't like it. But thankfully I got bored enough to force myself to click the link, and was pleasantly surprised to find that it was actually quite funny.

Hope to see more of these!

I am no longer here. If you wish to find me, my discord username is Heroic_Spirit_Gomikubi.

Board footer