This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-29-2006 05:51:23 AM

Toasty
Wakaba Wrangler

SKU and the movie Diva'

I was just wondering if anyone here has ever seen the movie Diva. It's a pretty artsy French film directed by Jean-Jacques Beineix in 1981. IMDB page's located at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082269/
The reason I bring this up is because Diva strongly reminded me of certain parts of SKU. In fact, I'm ready to go out on a limb and say Ikuhara must've been at least somewhat influenced by Diva when he was directing SKU. The whole movie has a surreal atmosphere that felt a lot like SKU's own blend of surrealism to me. It's difficult to explain in words, but the directing style of Diva and SKU are very similiar (I'd call it Ikuhara-esque, for lack of a better word). For example, just like the Seitokai members in Utena who start to throw knives or cook shish-kebabs during meetings, the characters in Diva do seemingly unrelated yet significant things while discussing current events. Only in their case, they practise indoor rollerskating or make sandwiches while wearing scuba gear. Add some quick cuts to obtuse visual metaphors, and it all starts to feel very... well, Ikuhara-esque.
There are scenes in a lighthouse about two thirds into the movie and lengthy shots of a curvy white sports car that strongly remined me of the way Ikuhara composed the shots of Akio's observatory tower and his car respectively. There are even a lot of shared themes between SKU and Diva. Both have a warped fairy-tale motif going on, and both have something to say about women's struggle to obtain freedom and equality (in short, feminism). Diva is an obscure film, though, so I have yet to meet someone else who's familiar with both Diva and SKU -and- sees the same similiarities as I do. Any takers?

Last edited by Toasty (10-29-2006 08:58:02 AM)

I don't mind straight people as long as they can act gay in public.

#2 | Back to Top10-29-2006 07:10:17 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: SKU and the movie Diva'

I've never heard of that film before, but now I have to see it.
From what you've said about it, I'm getting a feeling I'll like it.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top10-29-2006 10:44:00 AM

Joku_Krypfto
Saionji Slapper

Maarika wrote:

I've never heard of that film before, but now I have to see it.
From what you've said about it, I'm getting a feeling I'll like it.

What Maarika said. I mean, seriously? A lighthouse and a white sports car? Even if there are no actual links between the two, that would be so utterly hilarious even as an unintentional association.

Originality is nothing.
Hypertextuality is everything.
Obey your hypertextuality.
☞ MOKUSHIKUSHIMOSHIMOKUKUMOSHIMOSHIKUSHIKUMO ☜

#4 | Back to Top10-29-2006 02:35:08 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I'm definitely going to check this out. I hope I can find it somewhere here, I know of only one video store with a decent collection of movies emot-frown

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#5 | Back to Top10-29-2006 02:45:51 PM

Toasty
Wakaba Wrangler

Here are some screenshots to give you a better idea of the movie's more Utena-ish moments.

http://members.lycos.nl/vkn/diva-182.JPG

This one needs no further comment. I mean, really...

http://members.lycos.nl/vkn/diva-184.JPG

The white car's actually a vintage Citroën. I don't know the first thing about cars, so I just remembered it as a white sports car. The camera sure loves that car, though.

http://members.lycos.nl/vkn/diva-16.JPG

This is where the main character lives. More cars!

Lots more screenshots and in-depth musings (with lots of possible spoilers) can be found at http://www.architecture.uwaterloo.ca/fa … _2004.html

Last edited by Toasty (10-29-2006 02:47:44 PM)

I don't mind straight people as long as they can act gay in public.

#6 | Back to Top10-29-2006 02:54:23 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Toasty wrote:

This one needs no further comment. I mean, really...

emot-aaa emot-aaa OH MY GOD emot-aaa emot-aaa

Yeah, I seriously need to find this right. now. My mind just got blown to tiny bits. Unfortunately there is nothing even remotely around me that's going to carry an old French art film. (Foreign section at Blockbuster: LOL KARATE)

Luckily, I'm finding it on eMule.* (hint hint)

*lol too bad I don't know French, I'd be able to seduce women and know what's going on in this

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#7 | Back to Top10-31-2006 08:40:07 AM

Sanguine_Rose
Juri Jeerer

That picture of the car and the lighthouse is haunting. I'm gonna have to watch this.

When Patrick Stewart says "Come", WE ALL COME.

#8 | Back to Top11-26-2006 10:09:33 AM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Toasty wrote:

I have yet to meet someone else who's familiar with both Diva and SKU -and- sees the same similiarities as I do. Any takers?

Yes.

I hadn't noticed these similarities until you mentioned them, actually--of course, I saw Diva long before I ever discovered that anime even existed (Diva is one of the movies I grew up on--"I hate elevators" "You hate everything" has been a family joke since I can remember & I used to refuse to take off my rollerblades in the house because I wanted to be more like Alba) so I never thought until now to connect the two. But you're right. SKU and Diva are definitely alike--aesthetically, potentially even thematically. Diva has that heavy, thriller feel to it that SKU (mostly) lacks, but there's definitely a lot to be said for the similarities.

And oh man, I haven't watched that movie in forever...it is my top favorite film, too. etc-love I think I'll go do that now.

Board footer