This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-22-2008 02:25:59 AM

Madam Cheezy
Ballgoer
Website

Re: "Starter" animes?

I totally uh, third the Ranma 1/2 suggestion.

Grave of the Fireflies, too.
I consider this to be one of those love it or hate it movies, so, try that on your friend, too.

Side note: Does anyone remember the old Inspector Gadget cartoons? They always looked like they were anime-esque to me....

When I had asked my cat, 'Who's the best?' he stared back and said simply, 'Mao.'

"Arise, gay ocelot, and bitch up the fagtastic sniz-ake."
-My husband, drabble-ing

#27 | Back to Top12-22-2008 01:04:53 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Tons of animation used to be outsourced to Japan, generally if a cartoon character read a book between 1985 and 1998 they'd read it from right to left.*

* Alright, I made this up; but it does happen an awful lot.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#28 | Back to Top12-22-2008 05:04:20 PM

Dragon Monkey
Saionji Slapper

well my self i was started with a very strong one i was given ninja scroll

if you want Aachen with beauty i would suggest Appleseed but by far anything by Studio Ghibli or clamp would be best

#29 | Back to Top12-22-2008 06:54:47 PM

Bluesky
Chpn Dlst
Website

Dragon Monkey wrote:

ninja scroll

Oh, hell. And to think I'd nearly forgotten watching that.
Gah!

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

#30 | Back to Top12-22-2008 11:55:50 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Madam Cheezy wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies

That anime will always be one of my favourites for all time. Hayao Miyazaki is etc-love

To hollow_rose:

I was first introduced to anime when I was about 4 years old. The hit anime(s) of those days were mostly mecha i.e. Voltes V, Mazinger Z, Toushou Daimos. I've forgotten about them until some were revived in the form of video games and toys, while the rest were a nostalgic treat for both new and old fans via Philippine TV sometime around 1990+. I wasn't fascinated that much with anime until I saw Sailormoon and Dragonball; from then on, I become one of the many otaku(s) around the globe.

I agree with satyreyes though. I think you should first ask him about what genre interests him the most. Does he like 'less talk more action' stories with (or without) hints of 'shounen appeal' trademark jokes (i.e. Bleach, Air Master, Baki The Grappler)? Psychological suspense and/or murder/gore (Death Note, Skullman, Jigoku Shoujo, Berserk)? Sweet romance with cute humour (Sailormoon, Ranma 1/2, Fushigi Yuugi, Saiunkoku Monogatari)? Do you think he'll like yuri and/or yaoi/hentai (Loveless, Gravitation, Bronze Zetsuai etc-love, Yami No Matsuei, Ai No Kusabi, Kizuna)? How about sword and sorcery and/or master and servant action (Arslan Senki, Koutetsu Sangokushi, Kishin Douji Zenki, Shounen Onmyouji)? I'm not that much into mecha anime(s) anymore, but you can also try infecting him with the Kidou Senki Gundam (all series) fever, and of course Dragonball.

Lastly, let him try Hellsing, Vampire Knight, Vampire Hunter DVampire Princess Miyu, Blood+, Black Blood Brothers and Trinity Blood. Apparently, anime with the words: blood and vampire is a tasty treat to the vampire enthusiasts. emot-tongue

Edited to add stuff.

Last edited by Seitokaichou (12-23-2008 06:24:05 PM)

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#31 | Back to Top12-23-2008 02:19:24 AM

Epee_724
Polar Prince

Oh and my intro to  anime was Wicked City, DONT DO THAT TO YOUR FRIEND etc-wankdude+school-chef Anyone who's seen it knows what that means.

Whatever you find worthwhile in life, is worth fighting for!

#32 | Back to Top12-23-2008 09:59:30 AM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

Madam Cheezy wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies

That anime will always be one of my favourites for all time. Hayao Miyazaki is etc-love

Actually, Grave of the Fireflies isn't Miyazaki's, it's Isao Takahata's. school-eng101 Still Ghibli though, of course.

Theatrically, it premiered as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro (seriously), which is Miyazaki's.  I would imagine that Totoro was second, since after Fireflies, you need to watch something to lift your spirits!

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-23-2008 10:07:33 AM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#33 | Back to Top12-23-2008 06:16:46 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Madam Cheezy wrote:

Grave of the Fireflies

Actually, Grave of the Fireflies isn't Miyazaki's, it's Isao Takahata's. school-eng101 Still Ghibli though, of course.

When Studio Ghibli is mentioned, Hayao Miyazaki always comes to mind, haha! My bad. Thanks for the correction!

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#34 | Back to Top12-28-2008 03:06:32 AM

Notebook Darling
Black Rosarian
Website

It guess it depens on the genre your friend likes. However, for your friend, I'd suggest you two watch an anime movie.

My very first anime is, I believe, Samurai Pizza Cats. etc-love

#35 | Back to Top12-28-2008 12:55:27 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

Ninja Nonsense aka 2x2 Shinobouden would be a great intro for anyone, especially if they already like American comedy cartoons.

#36 | Back to Top12-29-2008 02:19:19 PM

Shiva Indis
Juri Jeerer

Fushigi Yuugi.

It's got something for everyone. (Unless you're looking for the ultraviolence, it doesn't have any of that.)

Trouble is that it's got a whole lot of suck, too. emot-tongue Doesn't change the fact that it was the first TV show I watched all the way through. I'd still recommend it for the young, female and undiscerning.

Last edited by Shiva Indis (12-29-2008 02:20:45 PM)

I am an actor cast eternally,                                    Armless, legless, still existing I am,   
The eternal me and the eternal stranger,                     I am all the mysteries in creation, 
Male/female, positive/negative are the two of me,                 My birth, the absolute birth,
Even light casts shadows, making a pair out of me and me,                I am disconnected,

#37 | Back to Top01-07-2009 04:53:46 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

His favorite movies are James Bond.....other than Lupin, I'm kinda at a loss LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone can think of something for James Bond, that'd be great.

Oh he has seen Full Metal Alchemist and liked it quite a bit. I'd go with Utena but he doesn't seem he shojou type.

20 threads dead so far.

#38 | Back to Top01-07-2009 05:21:05 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

hollow_rose wrote:

His favorite movies are James Bond.....other than Lupin, I'm kinda at a loss LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if anyone can think of something for James Bond, that'd be great.

Cowboy Bebop - martial arts and gunplay mixed with easygoing attitude, and one-liners. Plus it has been influenced by Lupin quite a bit.
And it has cool jazz music, on top of it all.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#39 | Back to Top01-10-2009 06:49:29 PM

J-Syxx
Banned

hollow_rose wrote:

Oh he has seen Full Metal Alchemist and liked it quite a bit. I'd go with Utena but he doesn't seem he shojou type.

Najica is like a female James Bond.  But it all depends if he wants to see 200 panty shots per episode or not.  lol  Maybe Noir would be a better choice since there's lot of gun play, a mysterious plot, and very good direction.

#40 | Back to Top01-13-2009 05:19:54 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

J-Syxx wrote:

Najica is like a female James Bond.  But it all depends if he wants to see 200 panty shots per episode or not.  lol

emot-rofl
I just remembered how they showed about a ten minute clip of that show in a con a couple of years ago as an example of fanservice gone horribly wrong. At least that sounds uncannily familiar...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#41 | Back to Top01-20-2009 12:00:29 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Hollow Rose:

He sounds like a candidate for Baccano!

#42 | Back to Top01-20-2009 03:21:26 PM

hollow_rose
Egghead

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'll make an anime fan out of him yet.

20 threads dead so far.

#43 | Back to Top01-20-2009 06:01:32 PM

Prince_of_Stars
Someday Shiner
Website

Well, if I may add, Strawberry Panic is an interesting one, at least to me.

My gateways were Sailor Moon, Dragonball/DBZ, Tenchi Muyo, Cowboy Bebop, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I still watch those! emot-keke

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/chani_sama/prince-sig.png

Sir Hellsing: Leader of the Feminine Failure Revolution
Faithfully failing at feminine tasks, gender roles, and the conventionality of femininity since 1990.

Board footer