This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-04-2008 02:29:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

[Food] Call for recipes!

Mother's Day is coming up in a week, and I thought I'd make my mom some white chocolate mousse.  It's one of her favorite desserts, but she rarely gets to have it.  The problem is, I don't have any recipes!  Does anyone here know any good recipes for white chocolate mousse?

This thread has a broader purpose as well!  If you need to ask for recipes, this is the place to do it!  emot-smile

#2 | Back to Top05-04-2008 03:52:15 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

Re: [Food] Call for recipes!

Aw, that's so sweet of you!

I only have this recipee for Lemon Mouse, but if you replace the 3 lemon juice with a half cup of white chocolate melty thingies, you should be good.

Note:  This recipee comes from a fancy restaurant, so is complicated.  But delicious!  I've made it with a chocolate/lemon twist.

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin, (softened in 1/4 cup cold water)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
juice of 3 lemons, devided (replace with white chocolate melty things)
Grated zest of 3 lemons (replace with vanilla extract, preferably the real stuff.)
1/4 cup Grand Marnier, divided
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar

Beat egg yolks, add sugar and beat well.  Set aside.  Place gelatin mixture in double boiler over hot water and stir until dissolved (add melty things here.)  Combine cornstarch and a third of lemon juice/vanilla.  Stir until smooth.  Add to gelatin with remaining juice and vanilla.  Stir.  Add beaten egg yolks.  Cook until thickend, stirring constantly.  And half of the Grand Marnier and cook 1 minute.  Do not boil.  Transfer to a large bowl, chill until set.

Whip cream, remaining Grand Marnier and confectioners sugar until stiff.  Beat egg whites until stiff, but not too much.  Fold cream mixture and egg whites into vanilla/chocolate mixture.   Refrigerate for approx 30 minutes.

Enjoy!

Makes 8-10 servings.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#3 | Back to Top05-04-2008 05:23:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

White Chocolate Mousse Recipes

You just can't go wrong with food network.

Of course, if you can, make anything of Alton Brown's from Good Eats.  He breaks cooking down into a science, so it hard to screw any of his recipes up. 

I could go on and on about the sexiness that is Good Eats,  but that's not what this thread is for.

#4 | Back to Top05-04-2008 05:33:49 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

I'm not requesting recipes, but I can definitely give one if anyone would like it. emot-tongue

I have a recipe if anyone wants it. My dad got it from a friend of his, as his wife makes things from scratch.
WARNING: this cake is very rich and wields ungodly amounts of frosting. You are warned!

Scratch Cake

Cake batter:
1/2 cup     cocoa
1 cup     hot water
2 cups     flour
2 1/2 teaspoon     baking soda
2 cups     sugar
1 cup     vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup     buttermilk
1 teaspoon     vanilla

Mix cocoa and hot water, then add remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 45 minutes.

Frosting:
3 to 3 1/4 cup     sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup     milk
1/4 cup     unsalted butter (usually 1/2 stick)
2 (2 Oz. packets)     liquid unsweetened Nestle's Chocolate (or equivalent)
2 teaspoons     vanilla
1/4 teaspoon     salt

Beat well. Spread on Chocolate Cake when cooled.
(Note: or you can do it like my Dad did and put it on while the cake is still warm, so the frosting will somewhat melt into the cake and make it more delicious)

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#5 | Back to Top05-04-2008 05:36:48 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Dematrah wrote:

I'm not requesting recipes, but I can definitely give one if anyone would like it. emot-tongue

I have a recipe if anyone wants it. My dad got it from a friend of his, as his wife makes things from scratch.
WARNING: this cake is very rich and wields ungodly amounts of frosting. You are warned!

Scratch Cake

Cake batter:
1/2 cup     cocoa
1 cup     hot water
2 cups     flour
2 1/2 teaspoon     baking soda
2 cups     sugar
1 cup     vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup     buttermilk
1 teaspoon     vanilla

Mix cocoa and hot water, then add remaining ingredients and beat well. Pour into greased 13x9 pan. Bake at 350 degrees Farenheit for 45 minutes.

Frosting:
3 to 3 1/4 cup     sifted powdered sugar
1/3 cup     milk
1/4 cup     unsalted butter (usually 1/2 stick)
2 (2 Oz. packets)     liquid unsweetened Nestle's Chocolate (or equivalent)
2 teaspoons     vanilla
1/4 teaspoon     salt

Beat well. Spread on Chocolate Cake when cooled.
(Note: or you can do it like my Dad did and put it on while the cake is still warm, so the frosting will somewhat melt into the cake and make it more delicious)

My Nana makes that cake all the time. It's so yummy! emot-dance

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#6 | Back to Top05-04-2008 07:47:58 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Iris, that recipe looks fascinating!  The Grand Marnier in particular is an interesting touch, though I'd probably sub in another liqueur to avoid the citrus note.  I'm a little worried about the substitutions, though; melted white chocolate is going to be thicker than lemon juice, and it seems like it would take a lot of vanilla to get the cornstarch smooth, so I don't know that this recipe adapts well to what I want to do with it.  I'll think about using liqueur, though.  Thank you!

#7 | Back to Top05-04-2008 08:02:05 PM

Iris
Queen of the Video Box

satyreyes wrote:

Iris, that recipe looks fascinating!  The Grand Marnier in particular is an interesting touch, though I'd probably sub in another liqueur to avoid the citrus note.  I'm a little worried about the substitutions, though; melted white chocolate is going to be thicker than lemon juice, and it seems like it would take a lot of vanilla to get the cornstarch smooth, so I don't know that this recipe adapts well to what I want to do with it.  I'll think about using liqueur, though.  Thank you!

Ahh, I absolutely love thicker mouses, so that's probably why I liked it when I made it with the lemon and chocolate.  When things are too thick for recipees, I'll normally add in a tiny bit of egg white or other things like that.
I'm a bit of a mad chef when I cook, racing about the kitchen and changing things until I like it.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/IrisBeloved/piano.png

#8 | Back to Top05-04-2008 08:24:30 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Well! How often do I get to contribute something meaningful? I've been waiting for this thread for ages now!

This is a recipe that hasn't been exactly handed down through the generations, but it's still a good holiday breakfast or whenever something really special and hoopy and froody occurs. My mom, who's good at cooking these puppies, says to use exact measurements at all times...usually when she's dumping something or other into food without bothering to measure. Adjust seasonings to taste and enjoy!

WARNING: If you have allergies to crescent rolls or butter, you may not want to eat or even make these. Be warned!

Ingredients you'll need!
- Brown Sugar, about half to 3/4 of a cup (I find C&H cane is the best for this.)
- Butter or Margarine, about a tablespoon and a half (never tried it with a substitute, but it should turn out fine if you use them)
- Maple Syrup, about half to one full cup (adjust to taste)
- Ground Cinnamon, about a teaspoon
- White Cane Sugar, about two teaspoons
- Pillsbury brand crescent rolls, one can (no other will do for this recipe)

Utensils you'll need!
- An oven, duh!
- A sink (for cleanup and serving preparation)
- A large dish (for serving the sticky buns)
- A 9-inch round cake tin, as long as it's not disposable (for cooking the sticky buns)
- Some aluminum foil, enough to cover the entire inside of the cake tin
- A wooden spoon to mix ingredients
- A teaspoon to add sugar and cinnamon
- An egg timer or electric timer, to time the cooking process
- A fork for separating and eventually eating the sticky buns

The Process!
1.) Set your oven to 375 degrees F. Don't just sit there and let it preheat, either. You'll be prepping the "sauce" while it preheats.
2.) Cover the cake tin in aluminum foil. Be sure to leave enough hanging so you can grab the sides later.
3.) Mix the butter, syrup and brown sugar in the cake tin. Mix it around a bit and then put it into the oven so it can melt while preheating.
4.) While the "sauce" is cooking, open the crescent rolls but don't unroll them! Separate the rolls into two halves. Slice each half into six smaller round pieces. If you did this right, you will then have 12 round slices.
5.) Check on the "sauce" in the oven. When it's all mostly melted, pull it out and mix it around so it coats the bottom of the tin.
6.) Place the twelve slices into the cake tin. It should be arranged so that nine of them are surrounding the three in the middle.
7.) Take the teaspoon and sprinkle sugar onto each one. After that, add a pinch of cinnamon to each one. Adjust these ingredients to taste.
8.) Once the oven's fully preheated, set the timer for 17-20 minutes. Put your sticky buns in and start the timer. Go clean up any messes you made while they cook. Have a cup of coffee or tea. Add cantarella to the tea if you feel daring. emot-tongue
9.) Once the timer says they're cooked, pull those sticky buns out and place the dish over them. Here comes the messy part...
10.) Hold them over the sink and quickly flip the whole shebang over! Be sure to flip away from your body. If you did it right, the sticky buns will be "sauce" side up on the dish, and the excess syrup will have dribbled into the sink. Remove the cake tin from the sticky buns. Place the dish to one side and swat the hands of anybody who tries to sneak one...for now.
11.) Carefully wad up the aluminum foil and throw it away. If any syrup got into the cake tin, wash it and put it in the oven to dry. Be sure to turn the oven off first!
12.) Take the fork and separate the sticky buns so they cool off faster. It might be tougher if you used a lot of syrup.
13.) Grab a glass of milk, kick back and enjoy them! You've definitely earned the right!

Optional Fun with the Recipe!
The original recipe called for pecans to be mixed in with the "sauce." If you wish to truly replicate the original recipe, add half a cup or so of pecans, maybe a full cup, to the "sauce" before you put the crescent rolls in the pan. We've never done this at my house, so it's trial and error as to how many pecans you add if you wish to do so.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#9 | Back to Top05-05-2008 05:18:57 PM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

NajiMinkin wrote:

My Nana makes that cake all the time. It's so yummy! emot-dance

Isn't it? 8D etc-loveetc-loveetc-love

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#10 | Back to Top05-11-2008 03:53:42 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Here's the recipe I ended up using for the Mother's Day white chocolate mousse, with my after-the-fact emendations.

1/4 cup sugar
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water
3 oz. white baking bar with cocoa butter, chopped
1 tbsp. brandy
3 eggs, separated
1 cup whipping cream
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a medium saucepan combine sugar and gelatin.  Add water and baking bar.  Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is boiling and gelatin is dissolved.  Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to saucepan.  Stir in brandy.  Cook and stir just till mixture bubbles.  Transfer to a large mixing bowl.  Chill till the consistency of unbeaten egg whites (about 45 minutes), stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in a chilled bowl, beat whipping cream till stiff peaks form.  Chill till ready to use.

In a large mixe bowl beat egg whites and vanilla till stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).  Stir a small amount of beaten egg white into gelatin mixture; fold in remaining whites.  Fold whipped cream into egg white mixture.  Spoon into dessert cups; chill 2 hours or till serving time.  Makes 8 servings of 5-6 oz. each.

When I made the recipe, I used too much brandy, resulting in mousse that tasted like brandy as much as / more than white chocolate.  It was still okay -- Mom loved it, because she's a brandy fan -- but it was more like brandy mousse with white chocolate undertones than vice versa.  I also forgot the vanilla entirely, which was a mistake.  Still, pretty good!

#11 | Back to Top06-27-2008 05:35:12 PM

Kaelyndra
Pained Growlithe

This seems like the best place to post these, so here's two recipes I'm going to contribute.

Breakfast Biscuits
Overview A smallish sweet biscuit that's easy to make and keeps well.

You will need the following ingredients:

2 3/4 cups of flour
4 tsp. sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 cup of shortening
6 tbsp of milk

Process:

Set oven on convect to 375 degrees

In a medium sized bowl, mix your flour, sugar, and baking powder. Then, cut in one cup of shortening. You may use a fork or otherwise. Next, mix in your milk. You're going to get your fingers dirty at some point in this, and I find it fun to squish it all together with my fingers. You may use a fork if you'd rather. After you've thoroughly combined these ingredients you should be left with a nice dough that's not very sticky, but doesn't fall apart from dryness, either. Combine this dough into two equal sized dough-balls and let chill until the dough is the desired hardness. If you're lucky, you won't even need to let it chill at all, but it's slightly easier to work with after it's been in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours.

Sprinkle a fairly large, flat area with flour. How much is up to you and just how sticky your dough ended up. Take one of your balls of biscuit dough and use a rolling pin or otherwise to flatten it out evenly. Add flour as needed to knock down stickiness of dough. Somewhere between a 1/4 and 1/2 an inch is desirable for the thickness. You may vary it further based on personal preference, but don't go too outrageously thick because the dough does rise quite a bit.

Next, take a cookie/biscuit cutter and coat the inside of it with flour so it doesn't stick. Cut out your biscuits and put them on a cookie sheet. Re-pack the remaining dough and roll it out again.

Cooking time is anywhere from 4-8 minutes based on local and outside temperature. They should be just beginning to turn golden brown on the edges of the tops. I have no idea how many this makes.

Peanut Whirlygigs
Overview: A chocolate-filled peanut cookie that tastes much better as dough if not carefully watched over when cooked.

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 oz. package of cream cheese
2 cups of Flour
3/4 cup salted peanuts ( these should be ground, I use a blender for this dirty work. Bwahah. )
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons margarine or butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips (or more if you're a chocolate freak. You know how it is.)

Process:

In a large bowl, combine sugar, margarine, shortening, vanilla and cream cheese. If you have a beater, beat on the highest speed until light and fluffy. If not, move those arms really, really fast! Lightly spoon your flour into the measuring cup, and level it off. Stir this in along with your peanuts and salt. Make sure you mix it in really well. That's it for your dough. Taste it because it's yummy and then chill it to make it easier to handle.

In a saucepan melt margarine and chocolate chips over low heat. (Or you can cheat and use the microwave. Careful not to burn that chocolate! ) On a well-floured surface, roll half of the dough into about a 10X14 inch rectangle. Spread half of the chocolate in a moderately thin layer over rolled dough. (Hell, you can put it all on if you want, you'll just have to make more.) Roll up the rectangle like a jelly-roll, starting with the 4 inch side. Wrap in wax paper, seram (sp) wrap, whatever you've got really. Repeat with the remaining dough and shove both their long faces in the freezers for 2 hours or overnight.

At this point, I'm finished. I just cut off hunks of the dough and eat it, but some of you crazies like to cook it.

Cooking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375. Cut the dough into 1/8 inch thick slices. Place on an un-greased cooking sheet. Bake at that temperature for 6 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.

It says it makes 96 cookies, but it lies sometimes. Also, sometimes it tastes better if you get rid of the salt entirely. It depends on the type of flour/butter you're using.

Edited for Spelling

Last edited by Kaelyndra (06-27-2008 05:36:51 PM)

#12 | Back to Top08-03-2009 02:07:26 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Yay for this thread! I'm moving into my new apartment in two weeks and I'm very excited to have the chance to cook *real* food for myself! No more yucky college cafeteria mystery meat and no more microwavable instant dinners! emot-dance

But first I need recipes. I'm very inexperienced with the magical world of cooking, but I have to start somewhere. I'm making a request for easy French recipes. I've never had anything more than crepes, mousse, and baguettes, so I really want to try some main course dishes, especially ones that include fish or chicken. Any vegetable dishes are welcome as well. And if anyone can recommend some good French wine, please go ahead. Thanks everyone!

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#13 | Back to Top08-03-2009 03:43:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

bella wrote:

I'm making a request for easy French recipes. I've never had anything more than crepes, mousse, and baguettes, so I really want to try some main course dishes, especially ones that include fish or chicken. Any vegetable dishes are welcome as well. And if anyone can recommend some good French wine, please go ahead. Thanks everyone!

Coq au vin is a classic chicken wine stew.  It has tons of ingredients, but if you have a little prep time it's dead simple to make and it's very much a French cooking staple.  It's also very yummy.  Here's the recipe I use, which is adapted only slightly from Cooking Basics for Dummies -- my once and future favorite cookbook emot-smile

Coq au vin

Ingredients:
1 whole chicken, cut in pieces (2 1/2 to 3 lbs total)
Salt and pepper
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup pearl onions (or 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped)
4 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 1-inch strips (optional; I don't like bacon and haven't used this)
2 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped
2 cups sliced white mushrooms
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 750-mL bottle full-bodied, fruity red wine (Pinot Noir works well, as does Cabernet Sauvignon)
3 carrots, scrubbed clean, ends removed, and diced

Procedure:
1. Rinse the chicken parts under cold running water and pat dry.  Trim off any excess flaps of skin and fat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.  Put the flour in a shallow dish and coat each chicken piece lightly with flour.
2. Heat the oil and butter together in a heavy sauté pan that is large enough to hold the chicken pieces in one layer.  (If you don't have a big enough pan, you may want to do this step in two batches.)  Place the chicken pieces in the pan and cook over medium-high heat until they're a nice golden color on one side, about 5 minutes.  Turn the chicken pieces over and continue cooking about 5 minutes more, or until golden.  Remove the chicken pieces to a large platter.
3. Add the bacon, onions, and celery to the pan and cook about 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally.  Add the mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes more, turning occasionally.
4. Return the chicken to the pan over medium heat.  Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.  Do not brown the garlic.  Add the wine and carrots, raise the heat, and bring to a boil.
5. Cover tightly, lower heat to medium-low, and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
6. Transfer the entire mixture to a serving dish.  Discard the bay leaf.  Pour the sauce over the chicken -- if the sauce is too watery, you may want to heat it over medium-high heat for another couple minutes -- and serve.

Serves 4.

I like stews because once I have all my meats and veggies cut up, it's just a matter of sauteing them (which I love) and then simmering them (which is easy and I get to go do something else while it's happening).  Coq au vin in particular is nice because of the entire bottle of red wine that goes into it.  school-chef

#14 | Back to Top08-04-2009 03:13:08 AM

Syora
Presidential Accoster

satyreyes wrote:

Coq au Vin amazingness

Wow Satyr, that's fantastic!! The thing is I have every single ingredient sitting in my kitchen as we speak except for wine and bay leaf! I love to cook and that recipe seems completely doable and delicious.

Does anyone have a good jam muffin recipe?

#15 | Back to Top08-08-2009 01:08:40 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Satyr, you are amazing. Thank you so much! The Coq au vin was fantastic!! etc-loveetc-love

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#16 | Back to Top08-08-2009 01:55:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

bella wrote:

Satyr, you are amazing. Thank you so much! The Coq au vin was fantastic!! etc-loveetc-love

I'm so glad!  emot-biggrin  That was one of my more successful experiments in cooking as well.

Sorry, Syora, I don't know the first thing about jam muffins emot-frown

#17 | Back to Top08-08-2009 05:31:22 PM

Valeli
Thorn of Death
Website

Bella wrote:

And if anyone can recommend some good French wine, please go ahead.

What type of wine, beyond French? White? Red? Rose? Type of White/Red/Rose?

Without any particularly detailed request, I like the Domaine des Baumard Savennieres Clos du Papillon (Winery/Region/Name). It's a Chenin Blanc, which used to be the popular white wine back before Chardonay stole its spot.

Another wine I'd recomend (not French, however) is Eroica. It's a joint venture of Ct. St. Michelle and Dr. Loosen I believe. The actual wine is grown in Washington State, and it's a pleasant Riesling.

Both of these wines should only run you ~20-30 dollars/bottle, possibly a tiny bit more if you have to order them online (some states don't let you do that, but most states and the District of Columbia do). If you need to order wine and your state doesn't allow you to do that, you might have good luck with if you talk to the bar manager at a (reasonably nice) restaurant. Lot's of liquor and wine stores have poor selections of wine, and even some of those epically huge wine stores or nice small stores are reasonably likely to not have the particular thing you're looking for, so ordering for yourself can be reasonable if you know what you want.

Last edited by Valeli (08-08-2009 05:51:30 PM)

#18 | Back to Top10-11-2015 04:44:47 AM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/47437/1071558-1068655_necro_super.jpg

I just attempted to make vegetable fritters, using a hybrid recipe from a couple of different sites. As I finished preparing the mix and dropped it into the frying pan, I smelt a depressingly familiar scent: bubble and squeak. I'd made it completely without realising it. I hate bubble and squeak. Loathe it. Always have. So now I've a raft of the stuff cooling on my kitchen counter, to go into the freezer where I'll spend the next six months pretending that it isn't there.

In the meantime, the reason I made the stuff remains: I've a half head of broccoli and cauliflower respectively that need to be cooked into a form that can be easily portioned and frozen. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Board footer