This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:01:09 PM

BrennaDouglas
New Student
Website

Need a little help with some fanwork. ^^;

Hello! New person here.

*crickets chirp*

Well, alright, let me just dive right on into it then.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend (and possibly upload or share) songs and tracks that you think are a good match for Juri Arisugawa: her personality and/or her story. I recently finished designing an album (for a Photoshop class) with her as the subject and realized that I had almost no songs that would fit for her. emot-gonk  Well, vocal songs at least. I mean, I have a fair collection of classical music, but I have this feeling that an all-classical FST is kind of not going to go along with a Juri FST.

So I am begging anyone and everyone to send me some good recommendations. I really want to make a good FST, and I'd love you forever if you can give me any help. :3

Thanks in advance!

Brenna etc-love

PS:  If anyone wants to see my album design, just let me know and I'll upload a web-sized version. (I really want to share it. :3)  emot-keke

EDIT:  So, by popular request (YAY) here are the images. I linked them so they wouldn't uber-expand the post. emot-keke;
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/ … tCover.jpg
The front cover (and front cover of the booklet). This was a real bitch because after resizing it there were green and yellow splotches in mixed in with the orange, so I ended up retouching and color-correcting a whole ton. I also ended up vector tracing and restroking all of the lines and recreating her head. emot-frown
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/ … llview.png
A full-view of the back cover of the booklet.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/ … erview.png
This one is here so you can actually read the disclaimer. Yay, I credited the scans I used! XD
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/ … tImage.jpg
An insert image for the booklet. I just really loved that cover, so I did some retouching, and I did color-corrections so the image was warmer.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/ … kCover.jpg
This is the image that would show on the inside of the case behind the CD in a clear case. emot-keke  I did quite a bit of color correction on this scan too. I ended up taking out all the greens and blues so it would match up with the orange/yellow color scheme of the album.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g121/ … kCover.jpg
Erm... Ignore the track list. I just picked whatever was paying on my playlist at the moment so... yeah...

Mm, constructive critique would be really great! emot-keke

Last edited by BrennaDouglas (11-02-2006 01:21:59 PM)

#2 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:16:25 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Re: Need a little help with some fanwork. ^^;

Share, share, share, share, share! :D

...I feel so terrible for demanding, but not having any suggestions to offer 'bout Juri-like songs.

#3 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:27:55 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

BrennaDouglas wrote:

PS:  If anyone wants to see my album design, just let me know and I'll upload a web-sized version. (I really want to share it. :3)  emot-keke

Of course we want to see it! I'll see if I can find any good Juri songs. There were a couple threads with song suggestions for the characters-- you might try there for suggestions. If you have trouble finding a particular one of those songs, post the names in this thread, and I'm sure someone will have them.

Off to my own collection...

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#4 | Back to Top11-01-2006 06:37:57 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I'm a total Dashboard Confessional whore (and Chris Carrabba is so fucking delish to look at) so I'm all about them. "Reason to Believe" is one of the best, and its lyrics apply to just about everyone in the show, with the whole needing the one they love theme:

"Just one long breath I beg you please
Just one more step you are not weak
My heart is sturdy but it needs you to survive
My heart is sturdy but I need you"

and more along the lines of Juri, "The Secret's in the Telling." LOVE, Love.

"Until the last resilient hope
Is frozen deep inside my bones
And this broken fate has claimed me
And my memories for its own
Your name is pounding through my veins
Can't you hear how it is sung?
And I can taste you in my mouth
Before the words escape my lungs
And I'll whisper only once..."

The song is actually about tw people getting together when they shouldn't, like an affair after a fight, but in a way, it's still fitting. Juri and Shiori were best friends beforehand, anyway, right?

A lot of DBC's songs are a little angsty. I guess they're technically emo, but I feel that at least they can play instruments, they dress much, much better, and again, Chris Carrabba ... oh, Chris... etc-wankgirl

Something Corporate is another band that I feel would have some appropriate stuff, particularly "Ruthless" off the albulm North, but I don't happen to have it in front of me... I'll post if I can think of anything else...

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#5 | Back to Top11-01-2006 07:04:03 PM

_ J _
Manly and Buxom = Manxome

I am far from a Juri expert. emot-aaa    However, I am really good at digging up music.  school-sherlock

'Days go By' by Dirty Vegas fits, I think.  Also, the song 'If You Could Only See' by Tonic.  Both songs fit Juri really well. 

'Come Undone' by Duran Duran fits musically.  There is a good sound to it, but the lyrics might not fit right. 

I hope that helps.

I will always be here to listen, the question is, whether or not you can hear...

Proptre Qua Dictum

#6 | Back to Top11-01-2006 07:19:06 PM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Right. After doing some searching on my iPod and realising that I've found too many songs to list, I decided to narrow it down to just two, for which I get the feeling hit pretty close, if not the bullseye.

Queen - These Are The Days Of Our Lives (Lyrics) (mp3 - takes a bit of scrolling)
Queen - You Take My Breath Away (Lyrics) (YouTube - couldn't find mp3, sorreh)

#7 | Back to Top11-01-2006 07:24:49 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

"Ghost" by the Indigo Girls.  Totally and completely Juri.

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#8 | Back to Top11-02-2006 01:16:25 PM

BrennaDouglas
New Student
Website

So I updated the post with links to the web-sized images! emot-keke

And thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Last edited by BrennaDouglas (11-02-2006 01:18:33 PM)

#9 | Back to Top11-02-2006 06:18:53 PM

Ger
Rose Smilee
Website

YOU HAVE RUKA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

erm. Sorry bout that. emot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrin

I don't know if you've ever heard of Bonnie Pink (Japanese singer, did one of the ending themes for Rurouni Kenshin way back when.) On her latest album, Reminiscence, the first song, Ordinary Angels reminds me of Juri. There's also a track called "the origins of love" which makes me think of Ruka's duel chorus (about people being connected, male to female). She sings in English on this one.

There's also a really great song by singer Aslyn called Gotta get over you that's very Juri/Shiroi/Ruka.

If you want, I can upload them for you.

Last edited by Ger (11-02-2006 06:22:35 PM)

#10 | Back to Top11-02-2006 09:13:57 PM

BrennaDouglas
New Student
Website

If you want, I can upload them for you.

Oh yes please! emot-dance I would love to hear them.

And Ruka is a sexy bastard... *licks him* cool

Board footer