This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top07-10-2008 04:17:31 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Re: The Overhyped Events Thread

Kisses. emot-frown They've never been as good as I was led to believe.

You see them in all the movies as some sort of pivotal, magical event where two become one. They're long, lustful, worth ruining a relationship over when you kiss another person because it means so much, worth slaying a dragon or letting someone try to pull out your hair as they climb up to see you and share in that intimate moment, and are the perfect way to say "I love you." For my whole life, I've been fed all this hubbub about the loveliness of a kiss. But the few kisses I've experienced were, as any true apathetic teen would put it, "okay." They were unpassionate, a bit awkward, but something I would do because the other person seemed to really like it.

I sincerely that it's not purely "overhype" and is, instead, a phase.

Edited because I felt like elaborating. I count them as an event. emot-redface

Last edited by NajiMinkin (07-10-2008 05:17:44 PM)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#27 | Back to Top07-10-2008 05:14:04 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Lots of stuff.  One that springs immediately to mind is 'The Matrix.'  Lynch me if you must, but I absolutely loathe 'The Matrix.'

And Quentin Terantino in general.  He is not King Midas.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#28 | Back to Top07-10-2008 05:19:32 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Lots of stuff.  One that springs immediately to mind is 'The Matrix.'  Lynch me if you must, but I absolutely loathe 'The Matrix.'

And Quentin Terantino in general.  He is not King Midas.

I agree, a hundred percent. Also, Brad Pitt. He really isn't THAT attractive.

AND FUCKING WICKED. Read the book. Despised it. I really think that asshat is a hack, whatever his name is that's writing it. I tried. I tried so hard. I read the Cinderella one, I read the Snow White one. They all SUCKED. The Ugly Stepsister bored me to tears. I didn't feel for any character, I was so annoyed by everyone. And Mirror, Mirror? Your book is about Lucrezia Borgia, how can it be this dull?

Like the musical tho.

Last edited by MissMocha (07-10-2008 05:27:29 PM)

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#29 | Back to Top07-10-2008 05:45:57 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

MissMocha wrote:

AND FUCKING WICKED. Read the book. Despised it. I really think that asshat is a hack, whatever his name is that's writing it. I tried. I tried so hard.

I etc-love it...until I got to the end. The ending failed so epically that it made me not like the book anymore.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#30 | Back to Top07-10-2008 06:51:25 PM

Triforce742
Pained Growlithe

rhyaniwyn wrote:

There will be no lynching because it's true. The second and third movies were huge huge let downs that didn't even remotely live up to what the first one offered. I'm assuming you think the first one was bad as well, and while I don't agree with you there. The second and third were just well not very good to put it nicely.

"LAUGH WITH ME"
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk113/Triforce742/MGS4BeastLaughingOctopus-2.jpg

#31 | Back to Top07-10-2008 06:53:43 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Donnie Darko. Everyone was so "Oh, it was sooo deep and amazing and dark and omg it changed my life!" No. It wasn't. It really, really wasn't.

Last edited by dollface (07-11-2008 07:11:22 AM)

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#32 | Back to Top07-10-2008 08:34:15 PM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

Saw III. So much hype, only for a lackluster movie, bizzare and out-of-character portayals of Amanda and John, unlikeable and one dimensional characters, and JESUS CHRIST the ENDING. UUUGHHH!!! emot-mad

And Saw IV was not even qualified for a Saw flick. SO. BORING.

See, I like my games/movies/etc to be worth the hype. I doesn't make sense to get excited only to be let down. It just doesn't really fit with me that I've waited for Halo 3 and the campaign was a total disappointment (OMG THEY CHANGED TRUTH'S VOICE WTF?! It went from sexy {Micahel Wincott} to dull {Terence Stamp})

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#33 | Back to Top07-10-2008 08:39:26 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

DUDE. TERENCE STAMP?? *geeks out* See, now, I love his voice. He will never not be General Zod for me though. XD

It has to be said, and has been said many times, but Gaia seriously overrated. XP

#34 | Back to Top07-11-2008 02:53:00 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

The Silent Hill movie.

Yes. I'm one of the many people who despise video games being made into films.
Why can't they make a CG movie instead e.g. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children?

God. Please. If Castlevania will eventually be made into a motion picture, I hope it won't be made_of_fail.

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#35 | Back to Top07-11-2008 07:10:57 AM

dollface
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children?

Funny you'd mention that, because that's one film at the top of my overhyped list. I can hardly sit through the whole thing.

#36 | Back to Top07-11-2008 07:25:18 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Advent Children sucked balls.

So did Dirge of Cerberus.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#37 | Back to Top07-11-2008 05:38:38 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Seitokaichou wrote:

The Silent Hill movie.

As far as video game movies go, that one was quite decent, in my opinion. I had absolutely no expectations about it, so it was a nice surprise.

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was a dissapointment for me. The dialogue system sucked balls along with the ridiculously limited cast of voice actors and endless tirade of generic characters. Also, despite of its immensity, the world felt incredibly flat and soulless, even if it wasn't for the fact that the same patch of woods copy-pasted over and over again didn't exactly add to the illusion about immersiveness. Also, when you had seen one dungeon, you had seen them all.
A smaller world with more content would have been nice. Thankfully, that's what the team's promised for Fallout 3. I just hope they deliver...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#38 | Back to Top07-11-2008 05:49:27 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Lightice wrote:

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was a disappointment for me.

I agree with most of that, but I was able to find some good points, improvements over the previous installments, as well.  I'm just not sure if they were entirely worth the bad points...  Luckily I refuse to read video game news, so it wasn't over-hyped anywhere but in my head.  Personally, though, I felt the landmass seemed small and the decreased number of NPCs from previous games really wasn't balanced out by increased detail in those NPCs.  I think I disagree with the choice to move to voice acting for all NPCs.  And what kind of a pathetically short MQ was that for a TES game?

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (07-11-2008 05:49:40 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#39 | Back to Top07-11-2008 06:35:46 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

DUDE. TERENCE STAMP?? *geeks out* See, now, I love his voice. He will never not be General Zod for me though. XD

It has to be said, and has been said many times, but Gaia seriously overrated. XP

Off-topic, but watch The Limey. It rocks.

For me I think the biggest letdown I remember was the release of The Phantom Menace. I actually thought it was going to be cool! Hell, I was so hyped that I didn't even NOTICE how badly it sucked the first time I watched it! The second time I saw it, I started getting suspicious, but it wasn't until the third viewing that I understood what a steaming pile of crap it was...emot-mad

Other big disappointments include the LotR movies, but not nearly as bad. I saw that coming a little bit in advance...like as soon as I heard they'd cast Liv Tyler.emot-rolleyes

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#40 | Back to Top07-11-2008 08:26:19 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Has Cloverfeild been mentioned yet?

I ROOTED FOR THE MONSTER.

The "shaky" camera makes it realistic?  Not when the actors suck, the writing is worse, and the camera is obviously obviously SO DAMN OBVIOUSLY not some cheap hand-held.  You don't get that good a picture on a home-movie digital camera.

#41 | Back to Top07-11-2008 10:45:42 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

dollface wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children?

Funny you'd mention that, because that's one film at the top of my overhyped list. I can hardly sit through the whole thing.

I agree 100%. Seriously. The only thing that saved it was the pretty, realistic graphics. If it was live action, it would have possibly been the worst movie. Ugh. It was supposed to answer questions, it just made everything all the mored screwed up. I seriously think that Square should stop making movies (remember another overhyped movie: The Sprits Within), stop focusing on merchandising, and go back to their humble, quality RPG days as back in the 90's.

Last edited by Rae (07-11-2008 10:46:59 PM)

#42 | Back to Top07-11-2008 11:58:51 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I just remember wathcing Advent Children and and my mom saying "Hey, where did that one guy form the beginning go, with the really really long hair and the long japaneese sword, all surrounded by flames in stuff?"

Me (who is not all that familiar with FF): You mean Sephiroth?

Mom: Yeah.  Where did he go? He was hot.

Me: *brain explode*

I liked the Silent Hill movie, but I agree with an earlier statement, that I did because, for me at least, it wasn't hyped all that much, so I watched it without high expectations.  Also, you have to keep in mind that I've never played the games, so I had nothing to compare it to.

OVERHYPED SHIAT:

Angelina Jolie.  You know why people think she's so goddamn gorgeous?  It's really not anything special.  She has big lips, and big lips= big vagina.  Everyone goes on about what a unique beauty she is but really, she's just a chick with a slightly redder baboon's ass than usual.

And as for Jeromey Maguire's books....there are parts I like, I really do.  But sometimes....yeah.....it's lots and lots of pretty words and nifty metaphors and shit, but. nothing. actually. happening. of. any. interest.for.two.hundred.pages.

Also.  The most over-hyped thing in all of exitance as we know it.

PARIS HILTON.

Just a giant case of "Humanity, wtf?

Last edited by OnlyInThisLight (07-12-2008 12:00:10 AM)

#43 | Back to Top07-12-2008 02:00:40 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

dollface wrote:

For me, seeing the movie was nostalgia because it brought back good ol' memories when I first played the FFVII game.

hyacinth_black wrote:

So did Dirge of Cerberus.

I can't argue with that. I love Vincent Valentine but I hate the game to bits.

Lightice wrote:

I had absolutely no expectations about it, so it was a nice surprise.

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I liked the Silent Hill movie, but I agree with an earlier statement, that I did because, for me at least, it wasn't hyped all that much, so I watched it without high expectations. Also, you have to keep in mind that I've never played the games, so I had nothing to compare it to.

I wish I didn't know/play the game so I would've appreciated it too; being a hardcore fan of that game, and seeing the movie lacking the important elements (fear factor, vital characters, and story) got me really disappointed. I praise it though for using the track "Promise (Reprise)" by Akira Yamaoka which made it at least Silent Hill~ish.

Rae wrote:

stop focusing on merchandising, and go back to their humble, quality RPG days as back in the 90's.

Quoted for truth. That's why I didn't enjoy Dirge of Cerberus, and I hate the fact that I have to bleed myself working to own one of those gorgeous Sephiroth Masterpiece Statues. Damn you Squeenix. Ugh.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#44 | Back to Top07-12-2008 02:28:03 AM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

NajiMinkin wrote:

Kisses.  They've never been as good as I was led to believe.

You just haven't been kissing the right people. I'd be happy to demonstate what a truly passionate kiss is like. school-devil

Seitokaichou wrote:

God. Please. If Castlevania will eventually be made into a motion picture, I hope it won't be made_of_fail.

Judging by Paul Anderson's previous video game related work, he'll probably manage to work in Dracula and/or vampires, some guy named Belmont, and a somewhat castle-like set. Beyond that, don't get your hopes up for tie-ins to the series. There will be a whip used perhaps once, and the action scenes will be filmed by positioning the camera 1 milimeter away from the actor's bodies and shaking it furiously. But hey, at least Uwe Bowle isn;t doing this one...

Stormcrow wrote:

For me I think the biggest letdown I remember was the release of The Phantom Menace. I actually thought it was going to be cool! Hell, I was so hyped that I didn't even NOTICE how badly it sucked the first time I watched it! The second time I saw it, I started getting suspicious, but it wasn't until the third viewing that I understood what a steaming pile of crap it was...emot-mad

Funny, I had the exact same reaction. I think it's something about the lightsaber fight at the end that gives you temporary amnesia about the first 90 minutes.

My candidate for most overhyped load of crap consists of the "next generation" gaming consoles. PS3, 360, Wii, all of them. The industry expects you to shell out another huge wad of cash for what amounts to a minor graphics upgrade from the previous generation, which you can only take full advantage of if you have a high definition TV costing upwards of several thousand bucks by itself. All this for more uninspired, rehashed garbage. "Oh wow, another game where you shoot stuff from a first or third person perspective. How original. Thanks for making this work of art possible, Xbox 360." The Wii is the least guily, I suppose, because it's cheaper and shoved down our throats by ads somewhat less, but I can't stand the gimmicky remote. Motion sensor tech does not lend itself to precise control compared to an analog stick.

#45 | Back to Top07-12-2008 04:11:30 AM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

OnionPrince wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

Judging by Paul Anderson's previous video game related work, he'll probably manage to work in Dracula and/or vampires, some guy named Belmont, and a somewhat castle-like set. Beyond that, don't get your hopes up for tie-ins to the series. There will be a whip used perhaps once, and the action scenes will be filmed by positioning the camera 1 milimeter away from the actor's bodies and shaking it furiously. But hey, at least Uwe Bowle isn;t doing this one...

Seriously? *bangs head on top of keyboard* I'll watch it for the lulz then.

OnionPrince wrote:

My candidate for most overhyped load of crap consists of the "next generation" gaming consoles. PS3, 360, Wii, all of them. The industry expects you to shell out another huge wad of cash for what amounts to a minor graphics upgrade from the previous generation

Nailed it right there. Not to mention the fact that the Xbox 360 is also famous for being craptastic for its infamous RROD.

#46 | Back to Top07-12-2008 05:21:55 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

I wish I didn't know/play the game so I would've appreciated it too; being a hardcore fan of that game, and seeing the movie lacking the important elements (fear factor, vital characters, and story) got me really disappointed. I praise it though for using the track "Promise (Reprise)" by Akira Yamaoka which made it at least Silent Hill~ish.

Before I saw the movie my whole idea of Silent Hill was the Room of Angel song, so I didn't have a lot to lose. I didn't think it was a particularly bad nor good movie, but my jaw hit the floor when the cop took her helmet off. etc-wankgirletc-wankgirletc-wankgirl HOT!COP. That is my whole memory of the movie even now. HOT. COP. emot-rofl

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#47 | Back to Top07-12-2008 06:03:38 AM

dollface
Website

Aww, I like the Silent Hill movie. And I'm a fan of the games to boot. I guess I came to a mutual understanding that with multiple SH games, each one fairly different from the others, it would be hard to fit in all the good stuff. I think that as a stand-alone movie, it's pretty fucking rad, but a little confusing if you had no prior knowledge. Compared to the original, hardly anything can ever compare.

Sadly, as mentioned above, this was not the case for Advent Children. Even if you played the games, it still sucked ass (yeah, too many balls being sucked, we need some ass action). Nice to look at, though.

Last edited by dollface (07-12-2008 06:03:59 AM)

#48 | Back to Top07-12-2008 08:56:05 AM

Dematrah
Ruthless Deflorist

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Has Cloverfeild been mentioned yet?

I ROOTED FOR THE MONSTER.

The "shaky" camera makes it realistic?  Not when the actors suck, the writing is worse, and the camera is obviously obviously SO DAMN OBVIOUSLY not some cheap hand-held.  You don't get that good a picture on a home-movie digital camera.

TRUTH, though I almost couldn't watch the trailer for it without throwing up. The hype was super-annoying, so I think it was a good thing I wouldn't have been able to watch it anyway.
Shaky cameras and first-person-anything make me horribly nauseous. emot-frown

Also for the Silent Hill movie: I liked it until the ending came around. It had its moments before that, but those were tolerable. I even still like watching it once in a while.

The first time I watched Advent Children, I felt horribly let down. There didn't seem to be much of a story and fuck if I knew what was going on. Pretties don't make up for lack of everything else, thanks.

"We want beans, not goals." - Anon.

#49 | Back to Top07-12-2008 10:10:01 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

NajiMinkin wrote:

Kisses. emot-frown...They were unpassionate, a bit awkward, but something I would do because the other person seemed to really like it.

OK, I think I found your problem there. Kissing someone that you're not into is probably pretty boring...and kissing someone who isn't into you isn't so awesome either.emot-redface

But I can assure you that a kiss shared by two people who really want to kiss is something worth taking a bit of trouble for.

Onion Prince, how dare you lump the wii in with those other two heaps of crap!emot-mad For one thing, it's hardly even a graphics upgrade, it was built on old tech in the first place. emot-tongue

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#50 | Back to Top07-12-2008 03:27:35 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

For me, the Silent Hill movie wasn't overhyped; I didn't hear anything good about it and didn't get around to watching it until fairly recently. It had a few good bits and a few awful parts; I think they should have stuck closer to the original game's story. And not given Harry a sex change. But this is about overhype, so for me that's Silent Hill 2 and specifically Pyramid Head. Not a popular opinion, I know, which is where the overhype comes from. For me the second game was a let down, after so many people saying it's the absolute best in the series. I even liked Origins better, which for me was the second game done well.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

Board footer