This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top11-25-2006 10:57:27 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: Utena Novels

I've had the movie book for a few years now... I don't think it contains any new art? I really only noticed her hat maybe? or they had other uncoloured character deisgns piled together in the character collages at the front?

I had started translating quite a while back, but I only managed to type out a chapter or so in Japanese whilst making some sense of it in my head... Unfortunately, I'll probably never finish seeing as Japanese doesn't click well in my Chinglish speaking mind at ALL. The basic idea gets in, but comes back out... not very well. I don't even know if I wrote down what I thought it said with the file, much less the location of them emot-gonk I've pretty much only kinda quickly went thourgh it one long wait at the doctor's office.

Random note: the French titles on a few of the chapters are off. A few times they give them the wrong numbers. They also had several cases of the wrong person saying the wrong line...emot-confused

I beleive the book itself is a sort of alternate, pre script for the movie. Several events in the movie aren't in it, while is has weird alternate ones. I think the opening scene was more or less like the manga version, but I might be wrong... I need to go find tht book when I go back tomorrow >_<

#52 | Back to Top11-26-2006 06:11:10 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I beleive the book itself is a sort of alternate, pre script for the movie. Several events in the movie aren't in it, while is has weird alternate ones. I think the opening scene was more or less like the manga version, but I might be wrong... I need to go find tht book when I go back tomorrow >_<

There isn't, by any chance, a scene where Akio and Utena are speaking/in a room together? I distinctly remember that shot in the very early trailers but it wasn't in the final product. Anyone else know what I'm talking about there?

I mean, far be it for me to bitch about movie Akio getting less screen time, but hey, I'm curious.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#53 | Back to Top11-26-2006 06:18:54 AM

iruka
Rose Smilee

Giovanna wrote:

There isn't, by any chance, a scene where Akio and Utena are speaking/in a room together? I distinctly remember that shot in the very early trailers but it wasn't in the final product. Anyone else know what I'm talking about there?

That's odd. Animated productions rarely have "deleted scenes"... for obvious reasons. emot-biggrin

#54 | Back to Top11-26-2006 06:22:09 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I know, but this has plagued me for YEARS. Trust me, it was there.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#55 | Back to Top11-26-2006 06:38:21 AM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

iruka wrote:

That's odd. Animated productions rarely have "deleted scenes"... for obvious reasons. emot-biggrin

Actually, surprisingly enough they do. Sometimes the director decides halfway through to use other approach, instead or the deadline comes sooner than expected. Usually those "deleted scenes" aren't completely coloured or otherwise unfinished, though.

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#56 | Back to Top11-26-2006 10:24:12 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

I remember a preview with that in it, it was pretty much just a picture though with words piling on top in script format and there were several Saito illustrations on it, so they wouldn't lose much by not using it anyway. (It was kinda like the 'let's draw Utena nekkid!' scene looking. I'll go take a screencap or something later.)  I don't know why I never looked for this now that you mentioned it. X__x

#57 | Back to Top11-26-2006 01:57:41 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Giovanna wrote:

allegoriest wrote:

I mean, far be it for me to bitch about movie Akio getting less screen time, but hey, I'm curious.

you are not dreaming, originally Utena was going to meet Akio but didn't in the final script. I read in a spanish written analisis of the movie. Also I am sure those pictures with movie Utena with Akio in a room, and movie Utena in Akio's car were for nothing

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

Board footer