This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-16-2007 07:36:41 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

The Lady Nilamarthiel Chronicles, Book One: The Quest for Good Health.

No, there's no literary whatsits in here. I just thought it sounded cool. XD

Actually, this thread is here because, as you all know, I really want to lose weight because I am unhealthy. I have something called Cushing's Syndrome, a rare disorder, which is more likely than not caused by tumors on my adrenal and pituitary glands.

www.endocrine.niddk.nih.gov wrote:

Symptoms vary, but most people have upper body obesity, rounded face, increased fat around the neck, and thinning arms and legs. Children tend to be obese with slowed growth rates.

Other symptoms appear in the skin, which becomes fragile and thin. It bruises easily and heals poorly. Purplish pink stretch marks may appear on the abdomen, thighs, buttocks, arms and breasts. The bones are weakened, and routine activities such as bending, lifting or rising from a chair may lead to backaches, rib and spinal column fractures.

Most people have severe fatigue, weak muscles, high blood pressure and high blood sugar. Irritability, anxiety and depression are common.

My stretch marks are so bad that they are a livid purple, and, if you can believe it, splitting open and bleeding. This needs to stop. emot-frown

So, in order to become healthy and be happy with myself, I am on a new health plan. In this thread, I will:

* Track my progress
* Share healthy, yummy recipes
* Beg shamelessly for love and support. emot-tongue
* Encourage those who want to join in to come on in and track your progress with me!

So now for the stats.

The Vitals as of 12/16/07 wrote:

Starting Weight: 258 lbs
Current Weight: 244 lbs
Goal Weight: 150 lbs
Waist Size: 43 in.
Hip Size: 53 in.
Body Mass Index: 44.69860259199697
Dress/Jean size: 20

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/CaptainJackie/Personal%20pics/Prog11.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/CaptainJackie/Personal%20pics/Prog12.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/CaptainJackie/Personal%20pics/Prog13.jpg

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar04/slider-scaleblue/lb/258/150/244/.png

Wish me luck! etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (12-16-2007 07:53:44 PM)

#2 | Back to Top12-16-2007 08:09:22 PM

NajiMinkin
Hacker Ringleader

Re: The Lady Nilamarthiel Chronicles, Book One: The Quest for Good Health.

That Cushing's Syndrome sounds, um, not too pleasant. emot-gonk Wowza.

But you go, Lady Nila! etc-love The questing may be hard, but we'll be here to support you all along the way! Huzzah!

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f64/_u_t_e_n_a_/100x100/starryklimtsig.png

#3 | Back to Top12-16-2007 08:14:33 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Hee! Thanks so much, Minki! *throws love at you* etc-love! etc-love! etc-love!

And it's not good. Not at all. It also has a lot to do with extremely high cortisol levels, which causes the extremely slow metabolism and weight gain.

#4 | Back to Top12-16-2007 08:24:07 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

First of all, love the title. Sounds like a cross between a fantasy novel and a kid's health book.

Second, this is a damn good idea.

Third, get your body fat percentage done. Seriously. If they do it with calpers, fine. If they dunk you in a tank, even better. I call shenanigans on the BMI chart because it doesn't account for bone density, muscle mass, or fat content.

You might find some surprises if you have it done. I weigh....notably more than you, but I'm roughly 50% body fat.

So, good luck, and I'll be watching and stealing ideas. etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love etc-love

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#5 | Back to Top12-16-2007 10:20:37 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Thanks so much, Raven! etc-love

Like I said before, if you want to join in, you go right ahead and post your stats. It's a lot easier when you have a visual, as well as a weight-loss buddy. emot-wink

As for body fat percentage, I think that the doctor will be doing that sometime. I just did these quick-n-dirty on a website. XD

RECIPE POST!!

I just purchased the Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook, and wow, are there some awesome recipes in there. In this diet, you are supposed to eat 6 small meals every day every two to three hours. At every meal, combine lean protein and complex carbs. And never, ever miss a meal, especially breakfast!

At first I was shocked at how nearly all of the recipes had such high carb counts, but I went to the back of the book to find out that they are all Complex carbs, which are really good for you and take more work to digest, so the body works harder and gets more nutrients out of it. Complex carbs also tend to be accompanied by fiber. The healthiest form of energy comes from complex carbohydrates present in high-fiber veggies.

Now for one day worth of recipes!

Break Your Fast wrote:

BREAKFAST FRUIT AND NUT COOKIES 12 cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup / 125 ml brown sugar
1/4 cup / 60 ml melted Olivina or light oil
3 egg whites
1/4 cup / 60 ml finely chopped dried figs
1/4 cup / 60 ml dried cranberries
1 tsp / 5 ml best-quality vanilla
1 cup / 240 ml all-purpose flour
1/2 / 125 ml whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup / 125 ml bran flakes
2 Tbsp / 30 ml ground flax seed
1/2 tsp / 2.5 ml baking soda
1/4 tsp / 1.25 ml ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp / 1.23 ml ground allspice
1/4 cup / 60 ml slivered almonds

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F / 177°C.
2. Combine sugar, oil and egg whiles in a large mixing bowl. Stir in chopped dried fruits and vanilla.
3. Lightly spoon all-purpose flour into measuring cups and level with a knife. Combine whole-wheat flour, bran, baking soda, flax seed, and spices. Stir with a whisk or fork.
4. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in almonds.
5. Drop by tablespoon onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 12 minutes or until almost set. Cool on pans and transfer to sire racks to cool completely.

Nutritional Value Per Cookie:
Calories: 154 | Calories from Fat: 56 | Protein: 2g | Carbs: 22 | Dietary Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 12g | Fat: 6 | Sodium: 26mg

How Soupa! wrote:

SPLIT PEA AND ROOT VEGETABLE SOUP 8 servings

Ingredients:
6 Tbsp / 90 ml best-quality olive oil
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup / 125 ml fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
2 1/2 tsp / 12 ml dried thyme
2 tsp / 10 ml dried marjoram
3 bay leaves
11 cups / 2.6 L low fat, low-sodium chicken stock
3 cups / 720 ml dried split peas
1 1/2 lbs / 680g roasted turkey breast, bone in

Preparation:
1. Heat olive oil in heavy stockpot over low heat. Add root vegetables and dried herbs. Cover and cook until all veggies are soft, about 20 minutes.
2. Add all the chicken stock, peas, and roasted meat.. Bring to a simmer, cover partially and cook until peas are tender and the soup begins to thicken a little. This takes about 45 minutes.
3. Remove turkey and cut meat into one-inch cubes. Discard the bone. Remove bay leaves. Return meat to soup and serve.

Nutritional Value Per Serving:
Calories: 522 | Calories from Fat: 103 | Protein: 42g | Carbs: 62g | Dietary Fiber: 0.70g | Sugars: 6g | Fat: 11g | Sodium: 784mg

Graaiiiiins... wrote:

COUSCOUS SALAD GREEK STYLE 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 cup / 240 ml dry whole-wheat couscous
3/4 cup / 180 ml low-fat, low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
2 Tbsp / 30 ml best-quality olive oil
3/4 cup / 180 ml fresh squeezed orange juice
1 Tbsp / 15 ml lime juice [that's the juice in one lime, so just buy the lime and squeeze]
1/2 cup / 125 ml grape tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup / 240 ml cucumber, chopped and seeded
1/4 cup / 60 ml chopped fresh oregano
1/2 cup / 125 ml goat cheese or feta cheese
Sea salt and black pepper to taste

Preparation:
1. Bring stock and orange juice to a boil. Add couscous and stir. Then turn off heat and cover pot tightly. Don't peek. Let stand.
2. Make dressing by combining olive oil and lime juice. Whisk and set aside.
3. Back to the couscous. Remove lid and fluff grains with a fork. Add chopped vegetables and drizzle with dressing. Add oregano and season with sea salt and ground black pepper.

Calories: 233 | Calories from Fat: 77 | Protein: 7g | Carbs: 33g | Dietary Fiber: 6g | Sugars: 4g | Fat: 8g: Sodium: 222mg

One-Dish Wonder wrote:

SLOW-COOKER CHICKEN CASSOULET 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 x 15 oz can / 420g navy beans, pinto beans, or black-eyed peas, rinsed and well drained
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 small skinless boneless turkey breast cut into 4 large pieces
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 Tbsp / 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 2/3 cups / 400 ml low-sodium chicken stock
4 celery stalks, trimmed and chopped
4 garlic cloves passed through a garlic press
1/4 cup / 60 ml sundried tomatoes [not those packed in oil]
3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 cup / 60 ml fresh basil, chopped finely
1 tsp / 5 ml thyme
2 Tbsp / 30 ml fresh minced parsley

Preparation:
1. Spread half of the beans in the bottom of your slow-cooker pot.
2. Season poultry with pepper and sea salt. Heat olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Brown the poultry on both sides in the skillet for about 5 minutes each side. Place the browned chicken on top of the beans in the slow cooker. Top with remaining beans and the chicken stock. Use water if you don't have any.
3. Sauté the celery, garlic, sundried tomatoes, carrots, and herbs using the same skillet. Spread this mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and put this on slow heat for a few hours. [Approximately three or four. Begin to cook this as soon as you finish your couscous, and then just set it and forget it.]

Calories: 261 | Calories from Fat: 57 | Protein: 24g | Carbs: 24g | Dietary Fiber: 6g | Sugars: 3 | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 553mg

Would you like a Protein with that? wrote:

SUMMER ROASTED SALMON 4 servings

Ingredients
5 - 6 oz salmon fillets, fresh from a reliable source if possible
2 Tbsp / 30 ml best-quality olive oil
Sea salt and fresh black pepper
Juice of one lemon
1/4 cup / 60 ml combined fresh chopped parsley, rosemary, thyme, and basil

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F / 232°C.
2. Prepare a baking dish with a light coating of cooking spray or olive oil. Place salmon fillets in the baking dish skin side down. Brush a coating of olive oil onto the salmon. Sprinkle each fillet with some sea salt and black pepper. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over the salmon.
3. Roast the fillets in the oven for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Dust each fillet with a generous helping of the chopped herbs. Serve hot.

Calories: 200 | Calories from Fat: 59 | Protein: 78g | Carbs: 1g | Dietary Fiber: 0.5g | Sugars: 0.5g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 109mg

Go Veg. wrote:

STUFFED PEPPERS 4 servings
Ingredients:
Water
Sea salt
4 large red bell peppers -- make sure the peppers can sit upright nicely. Remove top, ribs, and seeds/
2 cups / 480 ml cooked brown rice
1 tsp / 5 ml extra virgin olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
1 cup / 240 ml butternut squash, peeled and diced
3 cloves garlic passed through a garlic press
2 cups / 480 ml fresh Roma tomatoes, diced and set over a fine mesh sieve to drain
1 x 15 oz / 420g can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup / 420 ml corn kernels
1/2 cup / 125 ml fresh chopped cilantro
Juice of one fresh lime
Freshly ground black pepper
Cooking Spray

Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F . 177°C. Place cooked brown rice in a bowl and let cool. Set aside.
2. Make sure there is a rack in the middle of the oven. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place the peppers in the boiling water and cook briefly. The peppers need to be just a little soft. Remove the peppers from the water and put them on a plate lined with paper towels, upside down so the water can drain out.
3. In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sauté carrot and butternut squash. Cook for 10 minutes, covered. Add garlic and cook a few minutes more. Now add tomatoes, beans, and corn. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Add vegetable mixture to cooled, cooked brown rice. Season with cilantro, lime juice, sea salt and black pepper. Mix with clean, bare hands until all ingredients are evenly distributed. Set aside.
5. Prepare a small baking pan with a light coating of nonstick spray. Place each of the peppers right up in the pan. Stuff each pepper right side up in the pan. Stuff each pepper with brown rice filling. Don't pack the rice mixture too tightly. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

Calories: 302 | Calories from Fat: 30 | Protein: 11g | Carbs: 59g | Dietary Fiber: 12g | Sugars: 12g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 518mg

#6 | Back to Top12-16-2007 11:07:33 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I don't have anything to contribute right at this instant except my support, but I wanted to say...this thread, your ambition...they're very bold. And there are few things in this world that I admire more than boldness. In this thread, there is much playing and brass. You're up against quite a bit with the Cushing's syndrome, but it stirs my heart to see your spirit in confronting it. If I do think of anything actually useful, I'll let you know.

etc-love

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#7 | Back to Top12-16-2007 11:10:53 PM

Red Angel
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)

Good luuuuuck~

I myself want to exercise more but... I physically can't do much more than walk. emot-frown So I will cheer you on as I walk in circles and try to eat well~~

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u187/cherry_whispers/signature.jpg

#8 | Back to Top12-17-2007 06:43:05 PM

Sonohito
New Student

This is a great idea. Props to you for taking the initiative to do something like this. I've also been struggling with my weight all my life, and although I managed to lose 50 pounds at one point, it didn't stick.emot-frown

I'm in for this challenge as well - I'm a little self-conscious about my weight, so I'm using a separate account. The mods will know the ip address, but I hope they don't mind.

Monday, December 17th.
Starting Weight:200 lbs
Current Weight:200 lbs
Goal Weight:130 lbs

Tidbits of advice I picked up along the way

-drinking lots of fluids is an easy way to help shed weight and stay healthy.
-30 minutes of exercise is recommended per day, and builds stamina/helps lose weight.
-vegetables fill you up, and, according to WeightWatchers, you can eat as many as you like without gaining weight.

I found the WeightWatchers system was a healthy and effective way to lose weight, so if anybody's interested I can get some info on the daily points system.

Also, how often do we update? Is it a weekly/bi-weekly thing?

#9 | Back to Top12-17-2007 06:50:14 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

So, in order to become healthy and be happy with myself, I am on a new health plan. In this thread, I will:

* Track my progress
* Share healthy, yummy recipes
* Beg shamelessly for love and support. emot-tongue
* Encourage those who want to join in to come on in and track your progress with me!

You hardly need to beg for love and support here! emot-tongue This is awesome and you should be very proud of yourself for taking this on! I've been through the diet maze a few times, my last effort successfully taking me from 284 to 160. I mean to resume dieting again in January, and I'll totally come in on this thread with you! I have a few diet recipes of my own! school-chef So glad you took before shots. I didn't, so I don't really have anything to truly track the whole progress I've made. (I do have shots from a couple months in, thanks car crash motivated nudes of bruising for insurance purposes!) If I had it to do over again, I'd have taken progress pictures once every couple months or so. It'd have been nice to have them to gloat over now, and pictures show progress better than a scale can.

At any rate, congratulations, and I'll be cheering for you! emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance (I'd give you poptarts but that would be inappropriate.)

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#10 | Back to Top12-17-2007 10:28:12 PM

OnionPrince
Covert Diarist

I don't know if there's anything harder than losing weight and staying healthy. I'm writing this from a chair where I sit at least 8 hours every day. To top it off, I'll probably grab some fast food on the way home. emot-rolleyes I'll go to the gym this weekend, but my friends want me to run my role-playing campaign two days in a row (which also involves sitting in a chair for 8 hours.) Modern life is not conducive to health.

Therefore, Lady Nilamarthiel, you have my utmost respect for your bravery and fondest well-wishes as you embark on your quest. That goes double for anyone else who joins you. I need to shape up a bit, but I can only hope I find your level of determination. emot-smile

#11 | Back to Top12-17-2007 11:20:10 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Good luck to all! You all deserve to have the body that works and feels and looks the way you want it to. It takes a lot of courage to change yourself for the better, so I just want everyone to know that you've got my support. There are going to be bad days and good days, but if you keep at it, you will succeed!

etc-love

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#12 | Back to Top12-18-2007 12:19:53 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

:hugs: to you, Lady N and everyone else. You're up against a lot but you really do have everyone's love and support. I may blather what I do know about nutrition and whatnot here... I do second the bodyfat measuring thing, because it's a far more accurate measure of health than BMI is.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#13 | Back to Top12-18-2007 06:01:27 AM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

OnionPrince wrote:

Modern life is not conducive to health.

But quirky inventors are finding ways to make it somewhat more conducive to good health.  May I present, The TreadDesk!  Tired of sitting at the desk?  Stand up and turn on the slow moving treadmill underneath to walk your way thin while doing your desk work.

Sorry, I saw this on the news the other day and thought it was just plain awesome. 

Lady N, I might be joining you.  Okay, some people probably saw my post that said I was going to (including stats and unflattering photos taken yesterday morning), then noticed it was deleted.  Well, I got a little paranoid.  I want to see how the next week or so goes before I get too public with my attempt at weight loss.  For some people 'publicity' might be encouraging to do better, for me...it causes me to freak out which is one of the many reasons I eat too much.   Regardless, you've got my support, and a silent buddy trying to work hard a state below you.

#14 | Back to Top12-18-2007 09:05:51 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

I am so, so happy that I have everybody's support, and that I have some Health Buddies to work with! I feel so grateful to everyone, and I kinda like feeling like a cewebrity. Keeps my morale up, yanno. etc-love
Now to inflict my advice upon you all! school-eng101

LENTILS. EAT THEM. EAT THEMMMM. wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/CaptainJackie/foodchart.jpg

Not only are lentils cheap and yummyful, they are also really, really nutritious. They store well and are easy to prepare. Lentils also provide calcium and phosphorus, vitamin B and iron. Lentils are also a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein — all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up — not out.

Strap 'em in, ladies. wrote:

Hey, Titsy! Yeah, you, with the 38DDs. Oh, and get your man-friend over here, too. The hairy guy with the 44Bs.

All joking aside, a lot of women don't know how to choose a good sports bra. When you are walking on the treadmill, do your breasts sway and bounce? They shouldn't. I'm not saying get an underwire, because us ladies hate those, and you should be as comfortable as you possibly can and focus on how much your arms ache from lifting as opposed to how much the wires are chafing. As a basic rule, look for a bra that has a T-back, and wide straps. The T-back keeps your breasts supported and the straps up, while the wide straps keep most pressure off of your shoulders.

If you have larger breasts like me, get good support by choosing a bra with separate, molded cups.

On the other hand, if you have small breasts, choose compression, or a bra-like halter top.

Try on a gajillion bras. Seriously, girls. You're not going to find your one and only the first time 'round. Probably not in the first store you go to, either. However, if you're going to stick with one brand, I'd suggest the Champion brand. They are reasonably priced and good quality, and keep your girls in place. A particular bra that I like is the Champion Powerback Wire-free Sports Bra. Find more out about it here.

About those pills... wrote:

Weight loss pills. A lot of controversy surrounds them. And for most cases, I'd agree.

However, I have a disease that keeps me from losing much weight. As well as having Cushing's, I just found out today that I have Lazy Thyroid, which means my thyroid works only half the time. Which sucks, because that makes my metabolism even slower, and I'm already morbidly obese. My anti-depressant doesn't help much, either.

With odds like that, one doesn't have much choice but to take supplements. You need to take the pill that's best for you, though. If your cortisol levels are high and you don't take caffeine very well, Relacore would be best for you. It reduces belly fat, relieves stress, and enhances mood. I took it for a while, at while it wasn't for me weight-loss wise, it did make me feel less moody. Lack energy, but don't want to have some serious heart issues? Regular Hydroxycut is a good idea. I take Hydroxycut Max, but regular Hydroxycut did do me good, too. For both sexes, there's also Orovo, which is the top weight loss pill in America. From what I understand, Orovo is all-natural and in high-concentrate of nutrients. I don't really know much about it, though. You'll have to do your own research on what works for you. And remember, DO NOT TAKE MORE THAN PRESCRIBED. It will not make you lose weight faster. It will only make you sick.

Oh, and I got a four-day trial at the Grand Traverse Athletic Club in Traverse City the day after Christmas. It is free, and unlimited. And awesome. emot-dance emot-dance emot-dance

#15 | Back to Top12-19-2007 12:11:49 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I've also read that eating foods containing high amounts of capsaicin, so basically hot peppers, help to rev up your metabolism. As does green tea. Most weight-loss pills will contain green tea extract and many contain chili peppers.

#16 | Back to Top12-19-2007 10:54:26 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Hot peppers and tea work wonders, Shattered, especially tea. I usually drink a glass or two when I feel hungry.

Celestial Seasoning's Diet Partner works well, but I think it tastes kinda funny. 0w0

Tea that I use [not only for dieting, but for when I accidentally eat onions, too] is nearly-organic Pitta Ayurvedic Dosha Tea. Not only does it help cool heartburn and aid digestion, it has an Utena flair. It has cumin, coriander, fennel, cilantro, and non-organic rose buds. It tastes woooonderful. etc-love etc-love etc-love

EDIT: Was just on Old Unreliable [the v. v. old treadmill that is 20 years old].

The Vitals wrote:

Time: 20 minutes
Sweat count: Pig-levels
Heart rate: 150 bpm.

Is this good or bad? I know not.

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (12-19-2007 12:00:28 PM)

#17 | Back to Top12-19-2007 12:07:01 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Unexpected double posting is unexpected. But also really neat!

"The Vitals as of 12/19/07 wrote:

Starting Weight: 258 lbs
Current Weight: 241 lbs
Goal Weight: 150 lbs
Waist Size: 39 in.
Hip Size: 51 in.
Dress/Jean size: 20

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar04/slider-scaleblue/lb/258/150/241/.png

emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa !!!!!

Last edited by Lady Nilamarthiel (12-19-2007 12:09:00 PM)

#18 | Back to Top12-19-2007 01:53:00 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm too embarrassed to post the before pic...besides, I don't have any clothing at all suitable for this, and I know the forum policy on nudes...but I will join in in my small way. Hopefully smaller soon, eh?

Current weight: 290 (approx., don't weigh myself often or anything)
Target weight: 230

I've never had a BMI taken or had body fat measured...I just know it's higher than is good. I guess I'm going about this a little half-assed, but what the hell! I felt inspired!

-Truck North

#19 | Back to Top12-19-2007 02:35:47 PM

Mylene

Stormcrow wrote:

I've never had a BMI taken

Just go here to calculate your BMI.  It's true that it's not a perfect measure, as it doesn't take into account certain body types, but I still feel it gives you a ballpark figure to go with--at least when you know you're not especially big boned or muscular, etc.

I'll probably post my stats (and possibly repost my before pictures) next week.  Thus far, my attempt at exercising again is going well.  Monday I worked out for 45 minutes (bike ride for 25 while watching anime, then various weight exercises for my arms, jump roping, push ups, and crunches), 55 minutes on Tuesday (same as before except a bit of dancing around to get a little longer), and today I went for 70 minutes (50 minutes on the bike--decided to finish of the series because I only had 2 episodes to go.) 

Exercise is often my hardest part.  As much as I love to be active, right now, there's not a tennis court nearby nor is it the right weather (tennis with gloves on is very, very difficult).  I have to slowly get myself into a workout routine, which right now is going well.  Biking to anime is pretty effective for me, as long as I can work myself into a bit of a rut so I just do it automatically.

That's not to say the food part isn't just as difficult, but I've succeeded with it before.  It was so hard when I lost that 20 pounds as not only did I have to keep myself from emotion eating (5 days a week I counted calories, 2 days I didn't, so I did have my freebie days), but I also had to be careful not to slip into my old habit of just not eating at all.  So technically, I know I can force myself into eating less, so I'll focus on the exercise then slowly start adding in the calorie reduction.  Plus, before that happens I'm getting myself used to snacking more on fruits and veggies, so that'll make it easier.

#20 | Back to Top12-20-2007 12:34:30 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Hmm...my BMI is apparently 40.4...but it seems a little arbitrary. I mean, I'm overweight, it's true, but I actually am quite big-boned, so...whatever. Tomorrow, weights!

-Truck North

#21 | Back to Top12-21-2007 12:06:06 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

This is the best bodyfat calculator I've found. All you need is a tape measure and approximate knowledge of how much you weigh. It's not perfect, but it's reasonably accurate and it's a far better measure of health than BMI. http://www.healthcentral.com/cholestero … 4-143.html

#22 | Back to Top12-21-2007 12:45:22 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

YEE. Thanks, Shattered. emot-dance etc-love

Results wrote:

You have 30.6% body fat.

You have 73.7 Pounds of fat and 167.3 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water).

So, to get to a healthy weight, I should aim for 170 as opposed to 150? Neato! emot-keke

#23 | Back to Top12-21-2007 01:21:15 PM

Mylene

According to the test, my body fat percentage is 27.8.  I'm not terribly upset by that.  It's higher than healthy, but also quite a bit less than the average.

Last edited by Cerise (12-21-2007 10:06:56 PM)

#24 | Back to Top12-21-2007 01:40:19 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Well, I'm sure the site is no substitute for getting dunked. I haven't done the calculations myself yet...I don't actually have a measuring tape! Shameful, I know...emot-redface

-Truck North

#25 | Back to Top12-21-2007 10:22:11 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

It is indeed not a substitute for getting dunked, but it's about as accurate as skinfold caliper readings, and much simpler.

And I won't post my numbers here (unless someone is burningly curious, which I doubt), but according to the BMI scale I'm overweight, while according to the bodyfat percentage calculator I'm healthy. This is because I have too many muscles.

Board footer