This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#51 | Back to Top01-05-2007 10:00:00 PM

Trench Kamen
Eternal Eschatologist
Website

Re: Is your mind loaded up with lots of obscure trivia?

The SS logo makes me think of KISS.

Another tidbit:

--The border towns of Colorado City, Arizona, and Hilldale, Utah, have the world's highest incidence of fumarase deficiency, which causes severe mental retardation. These two cities are Warren Jeff's Mormon cult towns; the high incidence is linked to excessive inbreeding.

#52 | Back to Top01-05-2007 10:10:22 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Tamago wrote:

Volkswagon Bug = The only good thing to come out of Nazi germany, that and shows like Hogan's Heroes and maybe the SS uniforms which makes for great suited fetish wear *hehe* school-devil

The irony is... that car was once the most popular here on Mexico city. emot-biggrin (still today the biggest number of taxis are "bochos")

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#53 | Back to Top01-05-2007 10:18:45 PM

onsenmark
Spambane
Website

Peter Graves (of Mission: Impossible and Airplane! fame) and James Arness (of Gunsmoke fame) are brothers.

...the things you learn watching Fox News. lol.

watch me whine: onsenmark.livejournal.com

Saa, omae no tsumi o kazoero!

#54 | Back to Top01-06-2007 12:49:25 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

That there is a theory that life can exist way smaller than is thought to be possible, involving the idea of Nanobacterium.  The main problem is that most scientists just do not believe that any lifeforms could exist below a certain size due to the size of DNA.

#55 | Back to Top01-06-2007 12:53:19 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Oh, another nice Nazi Germany irony: Fanta was a product of Nazi Germany that was invented because Coke became unavailable, what with Germany and the US being at war. Except now, Fanta is owned by the Coca-Cola company.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#56 | Back to Top01-06-2007 01:08:47 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

Oh, another nice Nazi Germany irony: Fanta was a product of Nazi Germany that was invented because Coke became unavailable, what with Germany and the US being at war. Except now, Fanta is owned by the Coca-Cola company.

The funny thing is that I like Fanta way more than Coke or even diet Coke and they can stick all the Coke concepts that were created after the Mormons took Coke-Cola (Vanilla Coke, Zero to name a few) up their collective assholes as far as I am concerned.

#57 | Back to Top01-06-2007 01:10:55 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

The ultimate soda blasphemy is Coke Blak, or whatever they're calling that swill. But I liked Vanilla Coke. It was tolerable and caffeinated.

#58 | Back to Top01-06-2007 01:43:17 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

The ultimate soda blasphemy is Coke Blak, or whatever they're calling that swill. But I liked Vanilla Coke. It was tolerable and caffeinated.

I cannot say that I have heard of Coke Blak yet but I am sure its only a matter of time.

#59 | Back to Top01-06-2007 06:41:15 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I love snopes emot-biggrin http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/fanta.asp

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#60 | Back to Top01-06-2007 09:46:03 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I'm afraid the blue rose thing isn't true anymore - they were successfully engineered in 2004. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_rose

You can buy them here, http://www.blueroseflorist.com/ but they only ship to the Toronto area.

Actually, if you look closer at the site, it said they are still waiting for the genuine blue rose to come in market.  Their blue roses are dyed with blue ink.  I was hoping to see a picture of the real ones, or maybe order one for myself or at least find out the price, since I do live in the area....  Thank for the info though emot-keke

Last edited by Rushita (01-06-2007 09:46:50 PM)

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

#61 | Back to Top01-06-2007 11:16:51 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rushita wrote:

NOTICED THAT THOSE SITES DON'T MENTION ANYTHING ABOUT REAL BLUE ROSES

So you checked out the sites and noticed the same thing I did huh? Good eye hun!

#62 | Back to Top01-07-2007 12:33:23 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Romanticide wrote:

ShatteredMirror wrote:

I love snopes emot-biggrin http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/fanta.asp

Gah, I even bought it. Shoulda checked Snopes first.

#63 | Back to Top01-07-2007 03:20:45 AM

Hinotori
The Notable Death Mantis

I wish I could find more information on Nazi Soap. Snopes has nothing. Straight Dope seems to be deliberately obtuse about the whole thing and the only websites I can find actively debunking it are holocaust denial sites, and I'm not going to read anything there. -.-

Oh well.

Hinotori made this post, and then went back and changed it later. Such is life.

#64 | Back to Top01-07-2007 01:59:43 PM

Rushita
Rose Bride
Website

Tamago wrote:

So you checked out the sites and noticed the same thing I did huh? Good eye hun!

Oh yes.  I got excited about blue rose and went to read the 2 linked websites and not the rest of this thread.  But the fact that somebody actually managed to create one was very interesting indeed.  I thought that wasn't possible based on what I heard before.

http://www.rushita.com/images/Logo6.jpg

#65 | Back to Top01-07-2007 04:10:57 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Rushita wrote:

Tamago wrote:

Oh yes.  I got excited about blue rose and went to read the 2 linked websites and not the rest of this thread.  But the fact that somebody actually managed to create one was very interesting indeed.  I thought that wasn't possible based on what I heard before.

Well it is practically the Holy Grail of rose raising enthusiasts for a very long time, so it might be a few years yet before genetic engineers call create a true blue rosehttp://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/spatulasama/bluerose.jpg

#66 | Back to Top01-07-2007 10:48:13 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

You want trivia? Here's your trivia! It's gonna be a long one, so be warned:

It was discovered during space missions that birds asphyxiate (suffocate) in the absence of gravity. They require Earth's gravity field in order to swallow and breathe properly.

It was also discovered in space that toads and frogs do indeed vomit. They do so by regurgitating their stomachs, then removing the offending matter with their forelimbs before sucking the stomach back in.

Assuming Rudolph is in the front of the sleigh, the number of possible ways to arrange Santa's other eight reindeer is 40,320.

If you divide your weight by six, you have an approximation of the number of quarts of blood in your body.

The human body contains enough fat to make 7 bars of soap and enough iron to make a single 1-inch nail.

"I am" is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.

The ice cream makers Ben and Jerry's send the waste from production of ice cream to local pig farmers to use as feed. The little porkers love the stuff, save for one flavor: Mint Oreo.

The Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's It's A Wonderful Life.

The telephone area code for any cruise liner in the Atlantic Ocean is 871.

At 90 degrees below 0 (F), your breath will freeze in midair and fall to the ground as ice.

A pregnant goldfish is properly referred to as a twit.

If ever there were an ocean large enough to hold all nine planets, Saturn would be the only one to float.

A group of cows, twelve or more, is properly referred to as a flink. The collective noun for rhinoceros is crash; for crow and raven, murder.

The charge of an electric eel is so potent as to render a horse unconscious from 20 feet away.

The word "stewardesses" is the longest word to be typed with only the left hand.

There are 293 possible ways to make change for a single US dollar.

An American dime has 118 ridges along its edge.

If the world's mortality rate was the same today as in the 1900s, more than half the human population would not be alive. (Scary thought, that!)

It has been calculated that, in the last 3,500 years, there have been only 230 years of absolute peace throughout the civilized world.

A cesium atom in an atomic clock beats 9,192,631,770 times a second.

I'll be back with more trivia tomorrow afternoon, my time.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#67 | Back to Top01-08-2007 01:05:52 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

A pregnant goldfish is properly referred to as a twit.

I gotta remember that one

The human body contains enough fat to make 7 bars of soap and enough iron to make a single 1-inch nail.

If ever there were an ocean large enough to hold all nine planets, Saturn would be the only one to float.

If the world's mortality rate was the same today as in the 1900s, more than half the human population would not be alive. (Scary thought, that!)

I remember those facts myself from my childhood

Last edited by Tamago (01-08-2007 01:06:23 AM)

#68 | Back to Top01-08-2007 03:00:23 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Tamago, I have this huuuuuuuge Word document just full of useless but very interesting trivia. Maybe I will post more of it...after other people show off their stuff, that is.

But don't worry, there is no shortage of obscure trivia!

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#69 | Back to Top01-08-2007 06:54:17 PM

Juhani Evarinya
New Student

If I can't marry my boyfriend or Miki, then I want to marry a rock.... Sorry, off topic.

I etc-love Razara's Sims! And my own (even though they are nuts....)!

#70 | Back to Top01-08-2007 08:24:53 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Tamago, I have this huuuuuuuge Word document just full of useless but very interesting trivia. Maybe I will post more of it...after other people show off their stuff, that is.

But don't worry, there is no shortage of obscure trivia!

You got plenty of facts huh?  The only fact I can think of right now is that my balance is way out of wack!  If I lean forward or lay back, my head starts spinning so I am forced to keep my head at certain angles where the spinning doesn't take over... it sucks but at least I made an appointment with the doc.

#71 | Back to Top01-08-2007 09:05:06 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Sounds like vertigo to me. Do go see the doc, maybe s/he will make you feel right as rain once more!

#72 | Back to Top01-08-2007 09:09:10 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

BioKraze wrote:

Sounds like vertigo to me. Do go see the doc, maybe s/he will make you feel right as rain once more!

Vertigo occurs when you are at a great height right? There is no height involved here as I felt it when I was trying to get to sleep last night.

#73 | Back to Top01-09-2007 10:15:35 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Not necessarily. Vertigo can be a chronic condition, and can happen for sometimes absolutely no reason at all. My mom has it, and is taking medication for it.

#74 | Back to Top01-09-2007 11:20:19 AM

A Day Without Me
Still Drunk in the Morning?

Kaze to Ki no Uta was the first shoujo manga to depict two males as being in love with one another (for the record, the publication date was 1976).

"I'm bringing paxil back. (Yup)
My HMO might just pick up the tab. (Yup)
I got the tremors and I need a nap. (Yup)
I gave my rent check to them Pfizer cats."

#75 | Back to Top01-09-2007 01:53:57 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

Tamago wrote:

Personal_IceQueen wrote:

Barbie was based off a german sex doll named Lilli. ( I always knew she was a "career girl.")

Crikey! That tidbit of information tainted my childhood somewhat but it makes you wonder if the Bratz dolls are based on something equally as suspect. school-freud

What alarms me about those Bratz doll is their feet, this christmas I bought my younger sister 4 of them, and all of their feet came off! it scared the crap out of me.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

Board footer