This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#201 | Back to Top03-26-2014 04:18:38 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

Re: Favorite Couple

Aw shucks, Gio. You're right. It's gotta be worth tree fitty. At least. cool

It's a good argument, gorgeusshutin, but I don't think Wakaba loves Saionji because she wants to be cool. She wants to be cool in order to be loved by Saionji. There's no indication prior to the Black Rose saga that Wakaba is obsessed with popularity. But, right from the start, she fantasizes about her Princely Green Monster. Probably because she senses he's secretly sad and wounded. Utena and Anthy fantasize about being take care of; Wakaba goes all gooey at the thought of being Florence Nightingale.

When Saionji finally notices and moves in with her, she becomes genuinely happy. Their scenes are the closest the show ever gets to straight sappy shoujo. But she also knows (and deeply fears) that she could lose him. Why? Because she's not special enough. She's not like Anthy. Saionji could never love her because she's too plain, too ordinary, too nothing. And since Saionji is perfect, then the problem must be with her, right?

Of course, it's a sad misinterpretation. Saionji doesn't love her because he belongs to the SKU Triumvirate of Inferiority Complexes. Saionji, Shiori, and Anthy all see themselves as lacking in basic worth. That's what they've grown up and, to some extent, what they're comfortable with. Why would they ever trust or respect the people who would bother to love someone as crappy as them?

Case in point, Saionji lost Touga's love at a young age. A close friendship turned cold and distant. He thought it was because he was less special than Touga and therefore unworthy of his affection. He then becomes obsessed with proving he is worthy and, more importantly, regaining his cherished friendship. So he eventually projects these desires onto the cold and distant Rose Bride. Anthy emotionally abuses him into ruin, which is just dandy. That's what he believes he deserves, after all.

Wakaba, on the other hand, sees him as special. WTH? Saionji knows he's not. Everyone he cares about has made that clear. If someone actually likes a shitbag like him, it must mean it's because they're not special. Quick, Saionji! Abandon her in the same exact flippant way you were abandoned!

Same thing with Shiori. No one hates Shiori more than Shiori. Shiori likes Ruka for liking fake Shiori, who is better than real Shiori because real Shiori is shit. But Juri loves real Shiori. Shiori hates Juri for loving her worst enemy - Shiori.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#202 | Back to Top03-26-2014 07:38:03 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Katzenklavier wrote:

Case in point, Saionji lost Touga's love at a young age. A close friendship turned cold and distant. He thought it was because he was less special than Touga and therefore unworthy of his affection. He then becomes obsessed with proving he is worthy and, more importantly, regaining his cherished friendship.

Totally agreed with this part about Saionji!  It's just spot on; I couldn't have said it better myself.

That said, I'd go further to say that Saionji cannot love Wakaba simply because he has never gotten over Touga to begin with.  If you ask me, even Anthy was but a mean for him to seize this "eternity", so he might make his "friendship" with Touga an eternal one.  This is why he was so keen on keeping Anthy under tight control (something he'd never do with Touga or Wakaba): he sees the Rose Bride not as someone to love, but as a tool to be harnessed.

This is something that even an unobservant person like Utena manages to catch on:
Ep09
Utena:  Do you really love Himemiya?
Utena:  If you do, why are you trying to win her by dueling?
Saionji:  Only by winning her in a duel can I defeat him.
Utena:  By him, you mean Touga?
Utena:  Is this just some rivalry with Touga?
Utena:  Are you just using Himemiya to get at him?
Saionji:  You wouldn't understand even if I told you.
Saionji (ventures into the ambiguous):  With Anthy by my side, I will gain something eternal.

And does Touga know it . . .
Ep 25
Saionji:  What are you getting at?
Touga:  Well then, why are you striving for that castle said to hold eternity?
Touga:  Isn't that because you believe that if you get there, you will find something eternal,
Touga:  ...for example, eternal friendship or something?

Saionji's easy acceptance of Touga - to the point of becoming his bride in Ep 36, and then whoring himself out to Akio for him in Ep 37 - also points to how for all his bitter facade, he still loves Touga like Juri does Shiori.  He is certainly eager to show/prove this love when given any viable chance.

Now, onto Wakaba . . .

There's no indication prior to the Black Rose saga that Wakaba is obsessed with popularity.

That I find a little debatable.

Ep 1

Girl:  What are you doing over there?
Wakaba:  Waiting to see my boyfriend!
Girl:  Boyfriend?

While this can be interpreted a lot of ways, referring to Utena (so much more popular than her) as her boyfriend to those cameos does look like a "coolness by association" effort on her part.  That, and she got very excited when pointing out how Saionji is the Vice President of the Student Council (aka campus elite).  To me, at least, Saionji's popularity around campus seem to be a huge reason for her obsessing over him.

And, let's not forget just who else Wakaba finds attractive at Ohtori.

Probably because she senses he's secretly sad and wounded.

But if Wakaba loves people who are sad and wounded, that she can take care of, she should've been a lot nicer to Anthy (a loner and bullying victim).  Instead, she is shown disliking/unsympathetic to Anthy even  as late as Ep 34, when there is no longer any conflict of interest (she has already gotten completely over Saionji).  Though by that point in time, Wakaba is openly fancying Akio, the ultimate campus elite/cool guy.  IMHO the only thing that keeps her from seriously going after Akio is her having gotten the love smack down from the SC Vice President - who was no where as out of her league as the Acting Chairman.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (03-26-2014 07:49:07 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#203 | Back to Top03-28-2014 11:48:16 AM

jmie5
Precious One

gorgeousshutin wrote:

And does Touga know it . . .
Ep 25
Saionji:  What are you getting at?
Touga:  Well then, why are you striving for that castle said to hold eternity?
Touga:  Isn't that because you believe that if you get there, you will find something eternal,
Touga:  ...for example, eternal friendship or something?

Saionji's easy acceptance of Touga - to the point of becoming his bride in Ep 36, and then whoring himself out to Akio for him in Ep 37 - also points to how for all his bitter facade, he still loves Touga like Juri does Shiori.  He is certainly eager to show/prove this love when given any viable chance.

I have no intentions of hi-jacking the conversation, but this, I have to say, is why my favorite couple would be Touga and Saionji, my oldest fandom secret.  The breakdown, short-comings, and struggles of friendships and relationships is one of the things I find most interesting in Utena, and these two (however young, therefore naive?) had a strong friendship; I'll spare you my reasoning.  They're so different now, and... I'm not even saying it would be for romance (if that would even be possible,) or what kind of affection it is, but those two are my favorite.  You just happened to put a portion of it far better than I could.

I can sort of see or guess what Touga and Saionji saw or now see in one another.  Wakaba does have a hidden passion, but aside from her being such a resource of love and acceptance, I wonder what Saionji could (as he is,) see in her.  I love the girl.   Anyway, ignore this and carry on, y'all, I just had to share.

#204 | Back to Top03-28-2014 03:08:27 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Hey, jmie5, welcome to the conversation emot-dance

Yep, Sai and Touga had struck me as a canon couple since before I'd even go online reading fics about them.  To me, I kinda think they're a tight unit despite how both boys try to act otherwise (social pressure for how boys should behave in public and all).  While Touga is shown interested in Utena, I see Saionji being essentially interested in no one but Touga.  In fact, this scene in Episode 36

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Apocalypse_Arc/36/Series_ep36_123.jpg

again shows (IMHO) how Saionji sees Anthy as nothing more than a tool (a convenient pillow, in this instant). 

This

http://ohtori.nu/gallery/var/resizes/Series/Episodes/Apocalypse_Arc/36/Series_ep36_141.jpg

is where his real feels are.

Wakaba does have a hidden passion, but aside from her being such a resource of love and acceptance, I wonder what Saionji could (as he is,) see in her.

As for Wakaba . . . Sai X Wak reminds me too much of Montgomery Clift X Shelley Winters in A Place in the Sun for me to see it working.  You see, people like not what they need - they like what they want.  I'm sure Sai has grown to appreciate the kindness she shows him during his expulsion, but that's not to say he is attracted to her beyond that kindness.  That's  the problem right there: he sees her as a life jacket.  Once he's back on dry ground (back to elite status), he'd have no further use for her.  Not only that, should Wakaba persist in hanging on to him after he gets readmitted, he would then be forced to see her as an obstacle to his using Anthy to get Touga: the good impressions she'd have left in his mind will sour by then.  IMO it really is for the best that S and W breaks cleanly off that early on, or things could get a lot uglier than the robbing of a soul sword.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (03-28-2014 03:15:14 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#205 | Back to Top03-30-2014 11:39:23 PM

Katzenklavier
Wondrous Sexual Eggplant.

gorgeousshuttin wrote:

While this can be interpreted a lot of ways, referring to Utena (so much more popular than her) as her boyfriend to those cameos does look like a "coolness by association" effort on her part.  That, and she got very excited when pointing out how Saionji is the Vice President of the Student Council (aka campus elite).

'tis a fair crop! Addendum: Wakaba is a teenage girl, and accordingly is quite obsessed with popularity. However, I don't think that's her main motivator - especially when it comes to pursuing Saionji. If popularity and social influence were the sole draws, then why wasn't she obsessing over Touga? In all likelihood, it's probably a potent combination of both: the desire to mother/nurture and the need to be recognized.

But if Wakaba loves people who are sad and wounded, that she can take care of, she should've been a lot nicer to Anthy (a loner and bullying victim).

Anthy was the rival for her man's affections. INSTANT HATE. Not to mention that, but she seduces away Utena's attention too. I think Wakaba is one of the nicer characters in the show, but she's no saint. She's pure human. She pegged Anthy as the one to blame from day one. And, in all fairness...was she really wrong? school-devil

Though by that point in time, Wakaba is openly fancying Akio, the ultimate campus elite/cool guy.

Rebound fantasy. I think it was Gio who pointed out that hers was one of the only healthy non-serious attractions in the show. It was just what it appeared to be: a normal schoolgirl crush.

That's  the problem right there: he sees her as a life jacket.

Yup. And that's why I was shouting at him. Absolutely, he was fixating on what he wanted over what he needed. He sought the elusive Touga/Anthy/status clusterfuck and ended up getting all the more fucked by it as the series progressed. Wakaba, though a teenage girl with all the associated shortcomings, was giving him a chance at positive regard. She actually treated him like someone worthy. And he,  hating himself, couldn't see the value in that.

jmie5 wrote:

I'm not even saying it would be for romance (if that would even be possible,) or what kind of affection it is, but those two are my favorite.

They are an interesting pair. Being a coupla hunkin' homoerotic men doesn't hurt! I do find it kind of sort of a little sweet that Touga seems to have grown closer to Saionji and Nanami at the end of the series. Perhaps he ultimately found meaning with the people who loved him, rather than the flock of fans.

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

#206 | Back to Top03-31-2014 05:04:46 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Katzenklavier

Awesome post.  The points are all very well put, and I do agree with most of it. 

On Sai X Wak, yes, supposing Sai can wholeheartedly go for 'need' and not 'want', then the relationship could've lasted for a while longer.  Though, my headcanon tells me that a Sai who never took Mikage's deal and got readmitted will eventually become more and more of a burden to Wakaba - there's only so long she could shelter him in a dorm room of all places.  I can see Wakaba ditch him by that point in time.  But that, of course, is my headcanon of that character: other valid possibilities exist too.

If popularity and social influence were the sole draws, then why wasn't she obsessing over Touga?

Touga's playboy (man whore) reputation -something neither Sai nor Akio is tainted with (regular students think he's loyally engaged) - is likely a deal breaker for Wakaba, whose idea of romance appears largely non-sexual.  Plus she sees for herself how Touga openly antagonize/mind-screw Utena - something she does not get to see with Sai or Akio.

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (04-01-2014 08:32:16 AM)

#207 | Back to Top04-01-2014 03:41:24 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Katzenklavier wrote:

gorgeousshuttin wrote:

While this can be interpreted a lot of ways, referring to Utena (so much more popular than her) as her boyfriend to those cameos does look like a "coolness by association" effort on her part.  That, and she got very excited when pointing out how Saionji is the Vice President of the Student Council (aka campus elite).

'tis a fair crop! Addendum: Wakaba is a teenage girl, and accordingly is quite obsessed with popularity. However, I don't think that's her main motivator - especially when it comes to pursuing Saionji. If popularity and social influence were the sole draws, then why wasn't she obsessing over Touga? In all likelihood, it's probably a potent combination of both: the desire to mother/nurture and the need to be recognized.

I do think it's likely a bit of both as well. I remember seeing an essay once about Wakaba being the type of girl who needs to be needed, before I had even seen the show. And I guess I imagine Wakaba kind of enjoying the power of having a "cool/high-status"-guy like Saionji depend on her. So yeah, she does have a care-taking spirit, as we also see with her taking care of Utena (who is also one of the special people) when she gets the chance, so she does feel attraction towards his needy side, but she likely wouldn't have been half as interested in him if he hasn't been popular to begin with.

Sorry if this post is kind of redundant, since I'm not really arguing against anything. emot-redface

#208 | Back to Top04-06-2014 12:07:27 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

etc-wankgirl Ruka and Touga, it would be hot and I think that if someone needed some out side sexing, it could be worked out/ accommodated, i just have the feeling that they could both make awkward  sacrifices for their relationship... if necessary, while still respecting themselves.  emot-confused

Wakaba and Miki, if they noticed each other and interacted, it would help them not obsess over Anthy and Saionji and get what they need.

Threesome parings,

Touga,  Saionji,  Nanami so  Saionji,  Nanami are seeing each other romantically and somehow Touga ends up screwing Nanami via  Saionji manipulation, it starts with: mistaken identity, machinations, time, housebound, and alcohol (or some other mind altering substance).  It ends with Touga, screwing Namami and Saionji, watching then joining it and fucking Touga from behind.

Syna wrote:

If you're like me, you just... don't know what they'll produce. It seems too epic. I mean, Kozue/Touga could have provided an indication but they were too busy messing with Miki to really do anything fun, and... Kozue/Akio are masters. The possibilities are endless, you just know mindfucking will be involved.
I personally kind of want to see Shiori/Kozue or Shiori/Akio. Just to see how badly the first would BREAK.

So thanks to this I can kinda see a Akio, Kozue, Shiori descending it to some kind of school wide orgy... and or world domination plot.

Or a Ms. Othori, Akio, anthy interlude. Ms. Othori visits Akio in his office and start screwing and then Anthy arrives early and joins in...

So what do ya'll think about a Utena, Anthy, Wakaba paring?

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#209 | Back to Top04-06-2014 12:43:07 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

SexingTouga24/7/365 wrote:

awesome multiple pairings

Oh god, someone need to write some fic over all these emot-dance

#210 | Back to Top06-02-2014 12:51:19 AM

cypsiman2
Miki Molester

My favorite pairs are Utena/Anthy and Juri/Miki; Utena and Anthy's relationship is really what the whole show is about, and through good times and bad, through confusions and misunderstandings, betrayals and sacrifices, these two show that they are first and foremost in each other's hearts, and only Utena could help give Anthy the strength she needed to leave Ohtori behind and that is just beautiful to me.

Juri and Miki have this absolutely wonderful friendship, so chill and calm in the face of the madness of Ohtori Academy, they both think the other is just great and there are these wonderful scenes early on in the show of Juri just taking the time to go out of her way and check up on Miki and make sure he's doing okay, and Juri's Orange rose does symbolize friendship becoming romance; yes, this is intended to be about her and Shiori, but there's nothing to really stop it from happening for her and Miki, and they would benefit from such a relationship so much and after everything they've been through they deserve that kind of happiness.

Last edited by cypsiman2 (06-10-2014 10:06:52 AM)

#211 | Back to Top06-10-2014 10:00:03 AM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

cypsiman2 wrote:

My favorite pairs are Utena/Anthy and Juri/Shiori; Utena and Anthy's relationship is really what the whole show is about, and through good times and bad, through confusions and misunderstandings, betrayals and sacrifices, these two show that they are first and foremost in each other's hearts, and only Utena could help give Anthy the strength she needed to leave Ohtori behind and that is just beautiful to me.

Juri and Miki have this absolutely wonderful friendship, so chill and calm in the face of the madness of Ohtori Academy, they both think the other is just great and there are these wonderful scenes early on in the show of Juri just taking the time to go out of her way and check up on Miki and make sure he's doing okay, and Juri's Orange rose does symbolize friendship becoming romance; yes, this is intended to be about her and Shiori, but there's nothing to really stop it from happening for her and Miki, and they would benefit from such a relationship so much and after everything they've been through they deserve that kind of happiness.

I think you did a mistake. emot-biggrin

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#212 | Back to Top06-10-2014 10:06:37 AM

cypsiman2
Miki Molester

Gaston wrote:

cypsiman2 wrote:

My favorite pairs are Utena/Anthy and Juri/Shiori; Utena and Anthy's relationship is really what the whole show is about, and through good times and bad, through confusions and misunderstandings, betrayals and sacrifices, these two show that they are first and foremost in each other's hearts, and only Utena could help give Anthy the strength she needed to leave Ohtori behind and that is just beautiful to me.

I think you did a mistake. emot-biggrin

Oh dear, I do believe you are right!  Well, Juri and Shiori do love one another so it's not the worst mistake I could have made (I personally don't think a romantic relationship between Juri and Shiori could ever really work out but I've got nothing against it or people who do ship it.)

#213 | Back to Top06-16-2014 03:49:25 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

When it comes to Saionji X Wakaba, in episode 25 Wakaba is swooning over Akio and tells Utena to think about all those romantic possibilities that occur when you live with someone under the same roof. emot-rolleyes
So, bearing in mind that her plan didn't work out, Wakaby actually tells Utena to get hurt like she did.

#214 | Back to Top06-16-2014 05:34:00 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

dlaire wrote:

So, bearing in mind that her plan didn't work out, Wakaby actually tells Utena to get hurt like she did.

Holy crap, it's true. emot-aaa Honestly I don't think Wakaba says that out of malice (LOL ANTHY'S MALICE) but rather boundless, even perverse, levels of optimism. A huge part of the conflict in her BRS duel is the realization that she's not one of the 'special ones' that gets what they want in life. But she knows Utena is. Maybe she's cheering on her friend whose chances are better?

That said, I've always imagined Wakaba did weird things like stare at him in his sleep, sleep with his clothes in her bed, and maybe touch his privates in the night. Which are all way less likely but more hilarious for Utena to be doing. etc-wankgirl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#215 | Back to Top06-16-2014 05:49:03 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Right now I'm rewatching 30th episode where Utena reminds Wakaba that Akio is engaged. Wakaba's reply is that when loves appears, stuff like that doesn't matter.

...which reminds us that Wakaba wanted the guy who had a bride. So now I wonder whether she's malicious or she thinks that you need an appropriate setting for love. Love doesn't happen, love is scripted to her. Maybe she's cheering for her or she thinks that Utena's success will attract her luck as well? emot-confused I dunno.

#216 | Back to Top06-18-2014 10:22:43 PM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

OH BOY, A SHIP THREAD. This is what I was made for.

Anyway, my favorite is Shiori x Utena. I WILL GO DOWN WITH MY CRACK!SHIP. Also Utena x Anthy, Juri x Shiori, Utena x Wakaba, Juri x Miki, Miki x Nanami, Juri x Nanami, Saionji x Nanami, Touga x Saionji and my guilty pleasure ship of Touga x Miki (but not in the light novels, ironically enough.) OH, AND KAIDO X UTENA IN THE MANGA. FIGHT ME.

For poly ships my favorites are Anthy x Utena x Wakaba, Juri x Nanami x Miki, Juri x Shiori x Miki, and Juri x Anthy x Shiori x Utena. Polyships are the only way you'll get me near Juri x Utena, btw.

Favorite crossover ships include Utena x Ed (Fullmetal Alchemist, 2003 specifically), Utena x Rena (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni), Jean (Attack on Titan) x Utena, Mikasa (also Attack on Titan) x Utena, Mikasa x Utena x Jean, Utena x Ed x Rena, Touga x Zelos (Tales of Symphonia) for funsies... I'm a shipping machine and a lot of my ships only make sense to me (or in the RP setting they originated in, for some of them.)

At least I can list all I want here. On tumblr, I would get torched for liking het, crossovers and Kaido. THE HORROR.

Last edited by QueenOfJebri (06-18-2014 10:23:26 PM)

The absolute destiny... of hot pockets.

#217 | Back to Top06-19-2014 03:16:56 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

Those tumblr people are quite easy to piss off. They rage over SHIPS, of all things...
I have this intense sadistic craving to go there and start supporting and be all serious about some insanely wrong and inappropriate crackpair that'll have them foaming at the mouth, just for the evulz school-devil
UtenaXAkio...or maybe AnthyXSaionji hmmm

#218 | Back to Top06-19-2014 03:27:37 AM

Gaston
Mikage Mistruster
Website

Snow wrote:

Those tumblr people are quite easy to piss off. They rage over SHIPS, of all things...

You mean like that?

http://revolutionaryconfessions.tumblr. … content-as

Oh my god shipping Miki x Utena is so an horrible crime and somehow shpping Miki x Touga or Miki x Saonji is so much better. emot-rolleyes

Proud Juri x Shiori, Nanami x Tsuwabuki and Utena x Wakaba fan

#219 | Back to Top06-19-2014 03:46:02 AM

Snow
Troublesome Insect

to be honest, I watched the series and the film, nothing else, so I might be wrong, but where on the watermelon is there basis for MikiXSaionji emot-confused they barely even interact. So then just respect eachother's crack. Every pairing is fucked up if you look at it a certain way, no need to compete.

#220 | Back to Top06-19-2014 07:59:19 AM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

Gaston wrote:

Snow wrote:

You mean like that?

http://revolutionaryconfessions.tumblr. … content-as

Oh my god shipping Miki x Utena is so an horrible crime and somehow shpping Miki x Touga or Miki x Saonji is so much better. emot-rolleyes

Hahaha, I just reblogged that earlier today as proof that the fandom is in fact as toxic as a confession yesterday implied and that no, people DON'T just get bent out of shape when people support shitty real life things (or they perceive someone to.)

No guys, there are people who claim that anyone who likes Shiori are anti-feminist abuse apologists. There has been someone who CLAIMED TO BE BULLIED just because people didn't agree with her views on Shiori. And, as the responses to that confession show, there are people who will roast you if you dare ship the "wrong" thing.

"Not toxic," my ass. "Only getting after apologists of horrible things," my ass. But I digress, and I'm getting a little off topic. ;)

Last edited by QueenOfJebri (06-19-2014 08:00:05 AM)

#221 | Back to Top06-19-2014 09:12:16 AM

cypsiman2
Miki Molester

Steering things back on topic a little...how do you imagine the characters would react if they found out about shipping, about us shipping them in various configurations that vary from "well, duh" to "I don't think I've even met that person before"?  Regarding my OTPs, I think that (in terms of this happening during the series and not after it), that Anthy would just smile knowingly while Utena would bluster unconvincingly that she just wants a normal boy.  Meanwhile, Miki would turn an unbelievable shade of Red and Juri would tease him while hiding just the faintest dusting of pink on her cheeks.

#222 | Back to Top06-19-2014 09:49:36 AM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

I think Nanami would throw something really heavy at me for every last one of my ships involving her. emot-biggrin

#223 | Back to Top06-19-2014 09:54:54 AM

cypsiman2
Miki Molester

QueenOfJebri wrote:

I think Nanami would throw something really heavy at me for every last one of my ships involving her. emot-biggrin

"How could you possibly pair me off with that Miki, he is nothing at all like my brother!!!"

"GRR, you dare pair me up with Juri?  You're just trying to make me look bad by comparison, but it won't work!"

"Saionji is the least cool guy in the entire school what are you even thinking???"

#224 | Back to Top06-22-2014 03:38:34 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

Actually, I think Nanami and Ruka might hit it off. He's proud and she's sassy, he likes women who know what they want and she might be interested in someone strong, popular and self-confident.
He and Touga are similar and if Juri doesn't seem to cold to Ruka, he might find Nanami's reserved nature exciting instead of off-putting.
They just have to dye their hair red and orange. emot-tongue

#225 | Back to Top07-07-2014 07:07:43 PM

QueenOfJebri
Miki Molester

In the last few weeks, I've realized that I really should add Nanami x Utena to my "favorite ships" list...

Board footer