This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#101 | Back to Top09-30-2008 12:30:38 AM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Re: Pet Peeves In Utena Fanfiction

( I don't mean to be stirring up old posts, but they just seem so interesting to me.)

least favorite fan fics:

the first 19 chapters are A-f***ing mazing... then the last 1 or 2 are Ho-RI-BLE!

I can't count the number of times i've read lengthy fan fics.. that were soooo good, only to be seriously disappointed by the ending.

I could've made A's in 8th grade but no, i got stuck reading a 20 chapter fan fic that ended up sucking emot-frown

#102 | Back to Top09-30-2008 01:49:55 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

KissFromARose wrote:

( I don't mean to be stirring up old posts, but they just seem so interesting to me.)

least favorite fan fics:

the first 19 chapters are A-f***ing mazing... then the last 1 or 2 are Ho-RI-BLE!

I can't count the number of times i've read lengthy fan fics.. that were soooo good, only to be seriously disappointed by the ending.

I could've made A's in 8th grade but no, i got stuck reading a 20 chapter fan fic that ended up sucking emot-frown

The story of my life, too. emot-frown

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#103 | Back to Top09-30-2008 05:03:53 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

KissFromARose wrote: ( I don't mean to be stirring up old posts, but they just seem so interesting to me.)

I think it's fine to do so KFAR (from what I've gathered). The rule of thumb seems to be to find the posts that have most likely already been posted about your given topic, and post in them. emot-tongue

Yep, I agree with this gripe.
And I have 2 theories about why it happens. school-eng101
I think good writers are just as susceptible to Mary-Sueism as average writers, except they hold off on giving into it longer (and they write their Mary-Sues as one of the canon characters as opposed to an original one). emot-aaa
When they come to the end of their cherished fic they just can't  help but make their unrealistic fantasies for their fave character come true.

And the 2nd reason it happens is because said authors don't plot out their story in advance. And as Ecclesiastes says and I quote:
"The end of a matter is better than the beginning."
Which I always take as, it's so much harder to write a great ending than to write a great beginning!

#104 | Back to Top10-02-2008 10:27:11 PM

KissFromARose
Thorn of Death

Writers Block. emot-gonk

#105 | Back to Top10-03-2008 12:31:19 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Writer's-Self-Entrapment emot-gonk (otherwise known as not pre-working out the plot) school-devil

#106 | Back to Top10-03-2008 04:18:03 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

WTF StraightJuri.

Probably wouldn't piss me off so much if it weren't so often coupled with Evil!Shiori.

#107 | Back to Top10-03-2008 08:12:55 PM

Mishi
Pained Growlithe

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

WTF StraightJuri.

Probably wouldn't piss me off so much if it weren't so often coupled with Evil!Shiori.

How does that even WORK? Shiori loses pretty much all of her power over Juri if Juri is straight.

#108 | Back to Top10-03-2008 08:47:11 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Mishi wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

WTF StraightJuri.

How does that even WORK? Shiori loses pretty much all of her power over Juri if Juri is straight.

'Cos you know...Juri isn't really gay. She was just misguided and hurt by her really really close "friend". She really wants to live with Saionji in a big house and and have his babies. emot-rolleyes 

I would actually accept a story about a straight Juri if an author prefaced it by saying he/she was taking Juri's character from the manga. Straight Juri is scary.  Shower taking, brooding, emo, lesbian Juri is much more likable and easier to deal with. emot-tongue

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#109 | Back to Top10-04-2008 04:12:19 PM

Riri-kins
World's End

Alithea wrote:

I would actually accept a story about a straight Juri if an author prefaced it by saying he/she was taking Juri's character from the manga.

THANK you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who believes that! There's no WAY anime Juri would go for anything with a penis.

Anyway, my other big gripe is Saionji/Wakaba fics when Saionji is written as a hopelessly romantic sweetie pie. Yes he was nice to her, but I think if he realized he really loved her it would scare him and he'd act cold toward her to cover up his embarassment. Once they did get together he'd show his love subtly. Maybe he'd leave a flower on her pillow once in a while, but there is no way he'd do something like serenade her 24/7.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#110 | Back to Top10-04-2008 11:40:51 PM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Riri-kins wrote: but there is no way he'd do something like serenade her 24/7.

And thank goodness for that. Because in my personal-canon Saionji's singing voice sounds like a dying crow. emot-aaa

#111 | Back to Top10-05-2008 12:24:59 AM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

sharnii wrote:

Riri-kins wrote: but there is no way he'd do something like serenade her 24/7.

And thank goodness for that. Because in my personal-canon Saionji's singing voice sounds like a dying crow. emot-aaa

In english yes, but yet he sings beautifully when speaking Japanese emot-tongue

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#112 | Back to Top10-05-2008 12:27:29 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

BlackRoseVixen wrote: In english yes, but yet he sings beautifully when speaking Japanese emot-tongue

emot-rofl emot-rofl He is talented indeed.

#113 | Back to Top10-05-2008 11:03:36 AM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Well, he has a certain kind of something in his voice, anyway.

#114 | Back to Top10-05-2008 11:11:38 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Lol OiTL
...if those guys sang to me sounding like that, I would leave the building as fast as my legs could carry me.

Well...at least until Akio started magically rising right out of his pants. That "my nipples are more distinct than nipples have ever been before" shot and his torso sliding out of his pants always have me convulsing with laughter on the floor. (not that I don't feel pleasantly hot at the same time school-devil)

#115 | Back to Top10-05-2008 01:34:38 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

My current pet peeve is writers that keep calling Kanae blonde. She's not blonde, her hair is a very pale yellowish-green.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#116 | Back to Top10-05-2008 01:56:58 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

It is more chartreuse, even, isn't it?

#117 | Back to Top10-05-2008 03:22:18 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

It is more chartreuse, even, isn't it?

Yes! And I love the word "chartreuse", even though I hate the color.

EDIT: Peridot! That's what it is! It's peridot!

Last edited by Raven Nightshade (10-05-2008 03:26:14 PM)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#118 | Back to Top10-05-2008 05:04:27 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

My current pet peeve is writers that keep calling Kanae blonde. She's not blonde, her hair is a very pale yellowish-green.

I despise this. Nanami is a blonde. Mitsuru is a darker blonde. Even manga!Utena is golden blonde. Kanae is not blonde.

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#119 | Back to Top10-05-2008 07:11:55 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Raven Nightshade wrote:

Yeah, sounds like peridot to me. But a light peridot, not too overpowering.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#120 | Back to Top10-05-2008 08:00:19 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

But on the other hand, the outlandish nature of anime hair color doesn't always represent what the creators imagine the character to look like in a "real-life" setting.  Obviously we'll never know the creator's intention, but I could see why some people would want to avoid such sentences in fanfiction as "her flowing pink hair complemented her purple hat" if they wanted a more realistic world.  But, what do I know, I've never read or written fanfiction.

#121 | Back to Top10-05-2008 08:08:55 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

If they wanted a more realistic world, they probably should have steered clear of writing SKU fanfiction.  Or do they excise the monkey, the magic, and the arguable total lack of STDs?

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#122 | Back to Top10-06-2008 01:17:08 AM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

If they wanted a more realistic world, they probably should have steered clear of writing SKU fanfiction.  Or do they excise the monkey, the magic, and the arguable total lack of STDs?

I think there is room to paint SKU as having occurred in a more-realistic setting. Giving the characters natural hair color doesn't really eliminate anything except the fact that everyone in Japan but the main cast has dark hair.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#123 | Back to Top10-06-2008 03:29:21 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Raven wrote: My current pet peeve is writers that keep calling Kanae blonde. She's not blonde, her hair is a very pale yellowish-green.

Lady Nil wrote: It is more chartreuse, even, isn't it?

Raven wrote: EDIT: Peridot! That's what it is! It's peridot!

BioKraze wrote: Yeah, sounds like peridot to me. But a light peridot, not too overpowering.

Wow really? emot-aaa emot-aaa emot-aaa
I admit to being one of those people who thought Kanae's hair was blonde! *shocked gasp, looks around sheepishly*
In fact I'm playing her in the Ohtori roleplay in our rp forum at the mome, and I'm sure I've even described her hair as blonde. emot-redface
Actually I now recall someone role played back with her hair a kind of green color and I wondered vaguely what they'd been smoking. school-devil

Really truly? It's yellowish-green/chartreuse (uh what color is that?!)/peridot?
What's amazing is I have never noticed this. I never questioned Kanae's blondeness once while watching the anime. She even acts like a blonde.

Hmm hmm hmm. Um so what do I describe it as now?
Yellowish-green sounds like someone threw up on her head. emot-rolleyes
Chartreuse sounds pretentious.
Peridot sounds like she's got jewels on her head, not hair.

Okay okay, I'm having fun with this. I'll behave now. emot-tongue
But it's sure gonna be hard to roleplay Kanae's hair...

#124 | Back to Top10-06-2008 08:27:47 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

sharnii wrote:

But it's sure gonna be hard to roleplay Kanae's hair...

Medusa???

:covers eyes:

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#125 | Back to Top10-06-2008 11:24:30 AM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

The problem with Kanae's hair is that the slight green is not always noticable depending on the picture one sees (color quality of the tv screen or monitor). At least in my opinion. So her hair comes off, in my eyes, as being a rather dirty blonde.

It's just like Juri has orange hair, which technically makes her a redhead, but writers (and by writers I mean me) cheat by calling it light auburn.

*shrug* I think it's rather subjective. I mean there are some writer's who have decribed Juri as a blonde as well.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

Board footer