This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:41:13 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Re: Anime Touga - a victim of rape just like Movie Touga?

Atropos:
Is Mrs. Kiryuu in on this?
I mean, the movie only emphasizes Touga's father. But that could be how it happened in that version of events.

If Mrs. Kiryuu looks like Mrs. Ohtori, then it's Touga's gain.etc-love 
But if she looks like OldMaidAgainstUtena . . . emot-gonk

Also, it seems that the implication is that Nanami is the reason Touga is such a bastard. emot-biggrin

Eh?  Tell me more about that!

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#27 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:48:51 PM

Atropos
Atropos Turretslayer

Eh?  Tell me more about that!

What I mean is, Enokido says that the reason Touga accepted his abuse was to protect Nanami. He grows up to become Akio's lapdog(though he improves later). In the movie, Nanami doesn't exist, and Touga is considered a 'true prince'.

#28 | Back to Top09-05-2012 01:52:01 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Atropos wrote:
What I mean is, Enokido says that the reason Touga accepted his abuse was to protect Nanami. He grows up to become Akio's lapdog(though he improves later). In the movie, Nanami doesn't exist, and Touga is considered a 'true prince'.

Oh, okay.
Wait . . . wasn't Nanami Cow present in the movie? Considering N C was also present for 1 ep in TV, could it be that Nanami Human actually exists in the movie?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#29 | Back to Top09-05-2012 10:27:05 PM

Ashnod
La poétesse revolutionnaire
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Ashnod wrote:
He's not Akio. He's not content to remain with mere comforts and pleasant company. Touga wants to make his mark on the world. He wants to change it and leave some part of himself upon it, so that people know he existed, he mattered. He wants, to borrow from the series, to revolutionize it. Significantly more than Saionji or Miki and just slightly more than Juri.

For now, I will put aside Akio's continual discontent with his current situation, which prompted him to (in a way) prostitute himself to Mrs. Ohtori to keep a steady footing in Ohtori - his stage for gainning back Dios' power so he can be all-encompassingly Godlike once again.

But for TV Touga to simply want to "make his mark on the world", isn't staying as the SC Pres., then getting into a top grade university by his stepfather's strings, then some big company CEO position afterwards, then ruling over some too-big-to-fail international business empire the way things logically work in the world? 

The Touga we see in TV SKU is on a privileged path (hinted as richer than most of the rest of the private school goers)  that will for sure lead to his becoming powerfully wealthy in the future - if he work hard and be devious at the right times, then perhaps powerful enough to rebuild landmarks in Japan or beyond, and puppet world leaders with his wealth ala Wall Street Firm owners. 

Is Touga that impatient, that he want the adult-tycoon-influence over the World immediately at age 17?  If so, then he's "unusually desperate", and I still am inclined to think of the "why" behind his refusing to go step by step to get what he wants.  All this, up to sexual submission to a man when he clearly likes girls . . . just because of the impatience of youth?

You're not thinking large enough. The things you mention: university, CEO position, money, ruling over an empire...

These are things that Touga is looking at in his future and thinks, this is not enough....

Put yourself in the position of a Duelist. You are an adolescent, and whatever life you thought you had waiting for you is suddenly insignificant. You're offered the chance to take part in a contest where the victor gets miracles. To revolutionize the world. To grasp eternity.

What are concerns in the material world in comparison to this?

Touga isn't interested in becoming a CEO, or lording over a financial empire. He wants the faerie tale. He wants, in his own words, power like Akio's. He doesn't mean power over women like Akio. He means roughly what Dios is supposed to be, or the influence over another's life that Dios supposedly could give.

There's a conversation between Touga and Saionji in Episode 25 that goes something like this (depending on the translation):

Touga:  You remain as upright as ever.
Touga:  You'll be the champion of the local tournament this year again.
Saionji:  One of the reasons that I hate you is the way you're conceited now.
Touga:  Oh?
Saionji:  You are right. I will be the champion again this year.
Saionji:  But you think that that's meaningless child's play... and you're laughing in your heart.

Now, Touga denies this to Saionji, (likely because he's trying to get Saionji to duel and isn't about to have a conversation on this point) but Saionji has, in my opinion, nailed down why Touga is so haughty most of the time. It's because these little accomplishments in life, winning a kendo tournament, becoming a CEO, lording over an empire, are meaningless in the grand scale of time and history. You do something and it is forgotten. It changes nothing. The universe doesn't even forget it, because the universe never even took notice of it. So anyone who aspires to such lowly achievements is, in Touga's estimation, engaging in meaningless child's play.

Touga wants more than any material or worldly triumph. He's an adolescent who wants the fantasy, who believes in the fantasy, that something revolutionary can happen to him, or that he can in turn cause something revolutionary to happen.

This is the core angst of the entire series, this painful longing during that period of a teenager's life when they haven't accepted the simple pleasures of life for what they are, and desperately yearn for something far greater than the world is capable of offering.

So why is Touga willing to bottom for Akio? It's because Akio, to Touga's perception, has the very thing that Touga wants desperately.

From Episode 35:

Saionji:  You don't need to get letters. You serve him directly. Just get his orders firsthand.
Saionji:  Are you really happy with that? Why are you kissing his ass that much?
Touga:  He's the one who saved her back then.
Saionji:  Oh, I see.
Touga:  I want to become like him. I want power like his.

He means that. Akio doesn't need to be a CEO, or a chairman, or have money, and Touga knows this. He's talking about Akio as Akio appears to be, the power he supposedly has, that something eternal that lured Utena out of the coffin.

Last edited by Ashnod (09-06-2012 01:02:14 AM)

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

http://www.dark-kingdom.org/Gallery/osrgbanner.PNG
Hat Mafia Member: Little Dark Poet

#30 | Back to Top09-06-2012 03:47:16 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Ashnod wrote:

Saionji:  You don't need to get letters. You serve him directly. Just get his orders firsthand.
Saionji:  Are you really happy with that? Why are you kissing his ass that much?
Touga:  He's the one who saved her back then.
Saionji:  Oh, I see.
Touga:  I want to become like him. I want power like his.

He means that. Akio doesn't need to be a CEO, or a chairman, or have money, and Touga knows this. He's talking about Akio as Akio appears to be, the power he supposedly has, that something eternal that lured Utena out of the coffin.

But, because of his very base-level damage(s), Touga doesn't even know what that power is, mainly because he's still seeing it in terms of power. Touga's behavior is fraught with established dichotomies of control and permissiveness, the interrelation of small children and grown adults, and he tries to applies those dynamics across the board to children, teens, adults; friends, enemies, and passerby.

He means well, but he's not clear of vision.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#31 | Back to Top09-06-2012 09:22:42 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Ashnod wrote:

Oh, okay: so the assumption is that he wants the all-encompassing godly powers that Dios have - that even "powerful by worldly standards" Akio wants back, but hasn't been able to regain yet - and not just the still very much worldly powers that schemeing/laboring as a privileged human will get him.

If he does dream that big, to the point that he'd repeatedly do something most girl-loving teen boy will see as being manhood-destroying . . . then, considering how Juri's miracles only involves being free from emot entangling with Shiori, Miki's finding a shining child-Kozue substitue, Sai's having eternal friendship . . . then I guess Touga's character is "disproportionally" above the pack in his ambition/greed, should you assumption hold true.

More guesses on Dios wannabe Touga and his attitude towards life, which could be either:
a) current life not all that privileged by his standard (no fairytale kingdom where I am king is no kingdom for me!)
b) the privileges might somehow vanish at any moment and is unstable (since he's not blood Kiryuu)
c) both of the above

#32 | Back to Top09-06-2012 10:14:36 AM

Ashnod
Website

gorgeousshutin wrote:

Ashnod wrote:

Oh, okay: so the assumption is that he wants the all-encompassing godly powers that Dios have - that even "powerful by worldly standards" Akio wants back, but hasn't been able to regain yet - and not just the still very much worldly powers that schemeing/laboring as a privileged human will get him.

If he does dream that big, to the point that he'd repeatedly do something most girl-loving teen boy will see as being manhood-destroying . . . then, considering how Juri's miracles only involves being free from emot entangling with Shiori, Miki's finding a shining child-Kozue substitue, Sai's having eternal friendship . . . then I guess Touga's character is "disproportionally" above the pack in his ambition/greed, should you assumption hold true.

More guesses on Dios wannabe Touga and his attitude towards life, which could be either:
a) current life not all that privileged by his standard (no fairytale kingdom where I am king is no kingdom for me!)
b) the privileges might somehow vanish at any moment and is unstable (since he's not blood Kiryuu)
c) both of the above

This depends on your interpretation of what each Duelist actually wants. For example, I don't think Saionji wants the miracle power so that he can have eternal friendship.

I think the friendship quality, or at least his shattered friendship with Touga, is meant to symbolize Saionji's longing, but he wants more than that.
I think the messy entanglement with Shiori is symbolic of Juri's frustration, but to say that she only wants the miracle power to be free of Shiori or to have Shiori understand her is very belittling to who Juri is.

At least in the beginning of the series.

The Duelists, for the most part, show a remarkable maturation during the course of the narrative. For example, Juri tells Ruka and Akio that her only use of the miracle power would be to free Shiori from Ruka's influence, to allow Shiori to live free of the grief that has been brought to her by their machinations. And she probably believes that at that point in the story.

But this is a different Juri than we saw earlier in the series, the Juri (along with Touga) that coldly chided Miki when he dared to suggest the Duels should end.

Same with Saionji. The Saionji who snaps at Touga in Episode 25 for belittling him over a simple kendo tournament is not the same Saionji we saw in the Student Council Arc.

Life has happened to them.

They are changing and growing.

They are not static characters that retain the same motivations from the first episode to the final episode.

Flowers without names blooming in the field can only sway in the wind. But I was born with a destiny of roses, born to live in passion and glory.

#33 | Back to Top09-06-2012 10:36:55 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Ashnod wrote:

I think the messy entanglement with Shiori is symbolic of Juri's frustration, but to say that she only wants the miracle power to be free of Shiori or to have Shiori understand her is very belittling to who Juri is.

Alternately, I think you're maybe selling short the depth and seriousness of Juri's feelings, here. Or, Saionji's friendship and attachment to Touga.

These may seem like small things, or very personal, limited wishes, but they seem sincere enough, to me, to not require a for-us-world-shattering ulterior motive. For those characters, those little wishes are world-changing and significant.

Last edited by Decrescent Daytripper (09-06-2012 11:33:32 AM)

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#34 | Back to Top09-06-2012 11:02:38 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

These may seem like small things, or very personal, limited wishes, but they seem sincere enough, to me, to not require a for-us-world-shattering ulterior motive. For those characters, those little wishes are world-changing and significant.

As Ikuhara said once, "[Revolution] is about changing your personality.  That is, not about changing it because you lost fighting society...but by changing your personality, your world view changes."

Or to paraphase, change yourself and you change the world.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#35 | Back to Top09-06-2012 11:48:24 AM

Ashnod
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

Ashnod wrote:

Alternately, I think you're maybe selling short the depth and seriousness of Juri's feelings, here. Or, Saionji's friendship and attachment to Touga.

Oh, no, I understand to the respective characters, these wishes seem critical and hold devastating importance to them.

I said a few posts back that crushing angst of feeling insignificant in the face of life was one of the key parts of the adolescent theme.
Another part, and you're correct to point it out, is the adolescent way that the tiniest of things seem world-shattering and insurmountable.

I have never doubted the characters' sincerity on their respective desires. But I also don't think the characters are limited to only those desires, or that those desires encompass the entire reason they are willing to be Duelists.

#36 | Back to Top09-06-2012 11:50:53 AM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Ashnod wrote:
They are not static characters that retain the same motivations from the first episode to the final episode.

I'll agree with you on how Juri is a completely different girl than the one at the end of the show, though I differ with you with regards to what the characters might have actually wanted from the duels at the various stages of the show.  But the show is vague enough on these parts, that it is all very much up to personal interpretations, and I will not argue about the specifics of "who want what around when".

rhyaniwyn wrote:
As Ikuhara said once, "[Revolution] is about changing your personality.  That is, not about changing it because you lost fighting society...but by changing your personality, your world view changes."

Thanks for bringing us the quote, rhyaniwyn!

#37 | Back to Top09-06-2012 01:04:29 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Ashnod wrote:

I have never doubted the characters' sincerity on their respective desires. But I also don't think the characters are limited to only those desires, or that those desires encompass the entire reason they are willing to be Duelists.

It's almost certainly not the only reason.  One of the lines I like the most from the CP sub (although I gather, based on the scripts from the translation project, it was a somewhat liberal exercise on CP's part) is when Akio says in EP 13, "The young always wish to destroy the world."

I always saw one of the themes of SKU as being this cusp where naive idealism might give way to jaded cynicism.  Don't most kids at least half-believe in magic?  Doesn't growing up sometimes feel like a series of terrible disappointments, like life is chortling with glee as one-by-one it kicks down all your sandcastles?  Suddenly you realize failure is depressingly real, despite being told that if you persevere you will be rewarded--keep trying!  People you trust will shamelessly hurt you, despite the fact that you're supposed to be able to trust people, have genuine friends, and la-la-love conquers all.

It's something of a black-and-white fallacy, but it's like you have to choose between two extremes...  One of which is becoming someone unfamiliar and possibly abhorrent to your childhood self.  The other is an exhausting campaign of deliberate ignorance and denial.  It's natural to think that if the world is so ugly and people are so awful, it would be best to tear it all down and start over.

What can I believe in?  What sort of person am I?  What will my future look like?  Identity is forming itself in a trial by fire.  These are universal issues that present themselves for individuals in obviously highly personal forms.  Each of the duelists are confronting similar existential crises, but each duelist's circumstances are unique.

I do get what you mean.  Although, maybe this is just me, as someone who read way too many fantasy novels growing up.  But if someone had come up to me and been like, "Here's a sword that appears out of your body, and here's a castle floating in the sky.  If you duel, you can be hero.  You'll save the princess and get a magical power to change the world however you want."  I think I would have gone fucking apeshit.  That would have been a big goddamn deal.  Seriously, holy shit.

However, it's inevitable each duelist will be informed by their personal experiences.  At the end of the day, the disappointments preoccupying each will be personal traumas.  I've always felt the narrative focuses on these for good reason.  "Everyone has a story", it says, "and everyone has their reasons."  If, like many anime, each character had used more general, disinterested language and we had not seen inside their heads so much the message would have been very different.

I view SKU as coming from a...very humanist or existential place.  It's not the tale of a few intrepid heroes fighting a dragon, it's the tales of flawed individuals figuring out their own fates.  Which is not small at all, it's the biggest thing there is.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#38 | Back to Top09-06-2012 01:27:37 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

But for TV Touga to simply want to "make his mark on the world", isn't staying as the SC Pres., then getting into a top grade university by his stepfather's strings, then some big company CEO position afterwards, then ruling over some too-big-to-fail international business empire the way things logically work in the world?

This is a page back, but it makes sense to me that someone as privileged as Touga would want even more than that. I don't think it's in our nature to go "you know what, this is enough. I can be content with this," even if we're extremely successful by other people's standards.

As for how much of an effect Touga's childhood had on his personality, well, even if his adoptive parents were decent people in the show, being sent away by your biological parents can be tough.

#39 | Back to Top09-06-2012 03:06:30 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

So . . . back on the topic of whether the rape makes Touga more/less of a character.

Unraped Touga (the why settle for just cupcake when I can sell my ass to get patisserie desserts version): Privileged rich brat who's on a path of worldly success but still can't get enough; he still wants to be Dios God Like and change everyone's existences so he can gloat of being supernova, and will do things that most girl-liking teen boys will see as manhood-destroying to get Dios' power.

Raped Touga (the my cupcake got dead bugs in it so I'll have to sell my ass to obtain much needed patisserie desserts for myself and my sister version): Privileged on surface boy weighted down by (perhaps continued to the TV show's time) sexual abuses, which made him insecured/discontent (perhaps with good reason, as his rich-boy status will be completely reliant on his sex-slave status to Mr. Kiryuu, who does not see him as a son, so things can turn bad at any time) to the point that he be the power-hungry lapdog we see in the show - all to change his bad place in life.  His many sex-abuses from Mr. Kiryuu has since prepped him for his sessions with Akio.

I guess there's really no way to define which one is deeper/less shallow as a character - only which one is better-presented-for-audience's entertainment.  The TV show presents us with Unraped Touga - while its plot leaves open very real possibility for Raped Touga, which the writer said is the real thing.  I myself find Raped Touga to be a bit more interesting as that makes for a more blatantly dramatic fanfic material, but many do feel differently on this issue, and I can to see why after reading their lengthy, often fact-supported viewpoints.

So, I guess it really is "to each their own".

#40 | Back to Top09-06-2012 04:04:12 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

Honestly, I'm not sure what I would prefer. I'm glad they didn't include it in the show, since that sort of thing can quickly feel cheap (and besides, it's good to leave some mysteries unsolved), but it does make for an interesting element in fic.

#41 | Back to Top09-06-2012 08:38:19 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I gotta say I'm really torn on whether it makes his character better or worse. Touga without a history of rape is so indifferent to the value of sex that selling his ass to Akio seems almost like an afterthought. Like he does it easily, because what's sex to him? He's done it tons with all kinds of dumb broads, so if he can get something out of it, well whoop whoop. That's...interesting, and a bit terrifying because that kind of perspective can and does happen, where nothing in your life has bestowed a value on the act. And that feels inherently wrong, because it means that an intimate encounter with another human being is meaningless to you. You're that shut off. That's Touga.

On the other hand, raped Touga does have an internal value placed on sex. It's something that's scarred him in the past, and casts a shadow over every intimate act he engages in after. Is sleeping with all these girls soothing to him, because he has control with them that he lacked before? Is sleeping with Akio dangerous to him, because he recognizes the feeling of being overpowered? Does it makes him all the more seductive with Akio in rebellion? Does he jump into bed with Akio eagerly, because to hesitate, to show nervousness, to seem uncomfortable, would be weak? That's Touga, too.

It doesn't change his behaviors at all, just the approach he takes to them. It's a fascinating contrast. But I'll be honest. I have never given a rotten fig for what the creators say after the fact. There's the 'official' story, and the story each of us have discovered in the deliberately vague presentation of the story the creators told. The show doesn't tell us he was raped, and it doesn't tell us he wasn't. It lets us guess, and that guess says as much about us as it does about Touga.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#42 | Back to Top09-06-2012 09:41:22 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Giovanna wrote:
It's something that's scarred him in the past, and casts a shadow over every intimate act he engages in after.

Come to think of it, the moment TV Touga realizes that Utena's important to him seem to coincide with the moment he stop making conventionally romantic and sexual moves on her as well: the starry night on the Arena is soulfully intimate, but free of his previous gift (remember the dress) offers and sexual touchings.  And that fake bike ride with Saionji (happening around that time) is tenderly intimate in a way that makes for a stark contrast with his sexual sessions with Akio.  The only time Touga act sexual with Saionji for the remainder of the show is when they do the photo session with Akio - and that could be interpreted as Saionji teaming up with Touga to counter-seduce (or plain counter) Akio's seduction-based might.
One could easily argue that rape or no rape, Touga do associate blatant sex/sensuality with insincerity and cheapness, and we can only guess why.

Board footer