This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top01-01-2011 11:17:42 AM

monica
New Student

Utena and Tenshi ni Narumon

Anyone here heard about anime named  Tenshi ni Narumon?

I highly recommend it! It's basically like a reversed Utena. The chara design is practically identical as is most of the stuff (the director worked on Nanami episodes and was Ikuhara's favourite episode director).

The only problem with this show is that most people are probably going to be turned off by its first season (or already by the first episode) because of its superficial eyecandiness and deceitful sweetness. But you can't let that deceive you! This show is pretty dark and I dare to say that (spoiler!!!) the real hero(ine) is not the one who we're first led to believe is.
The show explores themes of ambition, obsession, madness and loneliness.

Oh and it has yaoi (if someone's after that).

Anyway, I really, REALLY recommend it! It's like Utena, Princess Tutu and Evangelion rolled into one!

#2 | Back to Top01-11-2011 03:13:16 PM

monica
New Student

Re: Utena and Tenshi ni Narumon

Just wanted to post this link:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H3SOEX9A

It is interview with Ikuhara Kunihiko about Tenshi ni Narumon where he talks about how he and Nishikori Hiroshi (the director of Tenshi ni Narumon) share the same idea about creating stories. Ikuhara says that he dislikes works that express themselves through the storyline itself and that he thinks that the most important thing in any work is "a phenomenon" and the way it's developed in that work. He acknowledges that they, as anime creators cannot really create "a natural phenomenon" so they should concentrate on creating "an expression of artificial phenomenon" because that is the most interesting thing about animation as a whole (though he admits that there is always a possibility that the viewers won't like it).
He is certain that Tenshi ni Narumon can be enjoyed through this "expression of phenomenon" and also that when thinking about a meaning behind a particular story one "should not think with one's head but feel it!".

I think this can be viewed as another piece of information on how Ikuhara's mind works^_^.

Board footer