This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-29-2008 04:31:46 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Re: Utena Wiki

rhyaniwyn wrote:

Well, seriously, if you want to go with some opensource Wiki software, I can create an account and we can set it up.  You can get a domain name, too.    Or you can use a hosted-wiki solution.  Just let me know if there's anything you'd like that I can help with. :-)

I'm really bad with html, so I'm wondering if something like PBwiki might be best. The trouble with that is, there's only so much I can do. I want this wiki to look nice, to have some Utena-esque layout. If you can help me with html while providing me a domain, then awesome, and I love you. (I love you for even offering this.) So, if you could let me know the extent of your abilities and willingness, I'd appreciate it. emot-smile

Happy Holidays Everyone! :3

#27 | Back to Top02-29-2008 04:54:35 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I write html, xhtml, css, some sql, and some procedural php. Actually, I work for Homes.com.  ;-)  The only issue for me is time!

wikis have their own system of markup for the content, one that I'm not familiar with, though I'm sure I could pick it up. 

So far as templating around the wiki system is concerned, I can help out with that.  I love the logo, incidentally.

I also don't mind necessarily registering the domain, I've got several with GoDaddy and it's cheap.  Maybe this is a good chance for me to contribute to Utena fandom. ;-)  If you're interested in going ahead, just e-mail me with the domain you'd like to use.

I'd have to research various wiki systems to make any particular recommendations...I just don't have an opinion because it's nothing I've ever looked at.  I will take a look at PBwiki.

If you are interested in going with something that you host yourself (via me, or you could buy hosting elsewhere), we could use the same software as Wikipedia: http://www.mediawiki.org.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (02-29-2008 04:58:43 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#28 | Back to Top02-29-2008 05:58:08 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Oh, I keep forgetting to say -- I really like this idea. emot-dance I can't offer anything in the way of technical skill, but I can contribute until the cows come home in terms in analysis and whatnot. emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#29 | Back to Top02-29-2008 09:02:43 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

rhyaniwyn wrote:

If you are interested in going with something that you host yourself (via me, or you could buy hosting elsewhere), we could use the same software as Wikipedia: http://www.mediawiki.org.

I'd like to offer my unsolicited opinion and recommend MediaWiki as well.  Of the few wiki softwares I've played around with, media is the most professional-looking (if you format it right) and has the upside of being the one that everyone is familiar with if they've ever used Wikipedia.

#30 | Back to Top03-02-2008 09:43:45 PM

Mock Puppet
Azure Paleontologist
Website

An Utena wiki?

This all I need, another reason to park my ass in front of a computer all day while I click on links and read up on all the facts and trivia. 

Thankfully there isn't one yet, otherwise I will end up ruining my eyes even more by visiting it for hours on end.

It will be like offering free booze to an alcoholic.

BTW The name you have for the proposed wiki sounds very regal and the pics not too bad either.

“Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway.”
-A. Nonymous-

#31 | Back to Top03-29-2008 01:50:54 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

Good news everyone! The Utena wiki is go. Right now its down to the bones, having only a little introduction page. So I need everyone who's interested in being a contributor to sign up! Make an account and start writing entries. Mind you, anything is fair game as long as it can be presented in an intelligent, logical, unbiased way with plenty of supporting details. Please leave personal experiences out of the articles; there will later a special section for the impact of SKU on the lives of its viewers, in which you can use as many personal experiences as you'd like.
The wiki is located at http://www.utenawiki.net. Go there now! etc-love etc-love etc-loveemot-dance

#32 | Back to Top03-29-2008 09:40:28 AM

BalamiyaVardihi
High Tripper

YES! WOOOOO!!emot-biggrin

Twirling round with this familiar parabol
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and
Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing

#33 | Back to Top03-29-2008 09:58:00 AM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Oh, awesome! :33333 I just signed up. etc-love

#34 | Back to Top03-29-2008 11:52:51 AM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I just checked out the recent edits! Thank you so much everyone; I'm so happy and proud! It's wonderful to see that people are making new content pages already. I wanted to make sure of something, though. The posting guidelines on the front page were modeled after the essay submission rules of EM. Is everyone in agreement that this is how the articles/entries should be written? Or am I being too harsh?

#35 | Back to Top03-29-2008 12:11:08 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I was thinking about that earlier, bella.  I would say it's too harsh.  The beauty of the wiki form is that -- at least in theory -- all pages can be edited up to the standard of the wiki's best editor.  As a result, it's not as important that all writing be at the level expected of a college journalist, or that all submissions be accompanied by a works cited section.  (I certainly didn't cite my new page.)  If other editors think a submission needs work, they can work on it!

#36 | Back to Top03-29-2008 12:29:24 PM

bella
Atlantean Singer

I totally understand. I'll go and change it now to sound less demanding and stuffy. Thanks satyreyes!
Also, as a general note to everybody, if you'd like to create a user profile for your account, please go right on ahead. You get a page for yourself when you sign up, and I think its a nice thing to do. emot-smile

#37 | Back to Top03-29-2008 02:25:10 PM

Nanami's Rose Groom
Rose Assignee
Website

Ok, I contributed (check, correct, and contribute to the "Rose Bride" definition, but there is something wrong with the e-mail confirmation process. Wiki tells me, that I can't confirm it, because it expired. However in the e-mail the expire date is 5th of April 2008.... so WTF? emot-gonk

"Get back to the surface, where the sunlight is so dazzling"

#38 | Back to Top03-29-2008 03:08:39 PM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I've signed up! I'll contribute when I get home tomorrow. emot-dance

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#39 | Back to Top03-29-2008 05:27:04 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Hee, this probably makes me sound like a retard -- well, I kind of am, I suppose -- but how do I sign up? I'm fluffing about the wiki and I can't work it out! emot-gonk I wanna play too!

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#40 | Back to Top03-29-2008 05:31:15 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Clarice, in the extreme upper right-hand corner of the screen there should be a link that says "log in / create account."  Click there, then click "create a new account" on the login page.

Hope this helps!  emot-smile

On a different note, are any other Firefox users having trouble with the "recent changes" feature?  It works for me in IE, but not in Firefox.

#41 | Back to Top03-29-2008 05:32:55 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I will totally be contributing to this. cool

A symbolism dictionary has always been something I wanted to do, this is a very good venue for that sort of information. I'll plug this for ya on the site when it updates. emot-smile

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#42 | Back to Top03-29-2008 05:46:12 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Clarice, in the extreme upper right-hand corner of the screen there should be a link that says "log in / create account."  Click there, then click "create a new account" on the login page.

Hope this helps!  emot-smile

On a different note, are any other Firefox users having trouble with the "recent changes" feature?  It works for me in IE, but not in Firefox.

Hee, I'm a dork. emot-tongue Thanks!

I'll let you know about firefox -- I don't use it on this computer, but I do on my laptop.

Now...where to begin? emot-gonk So much to say!

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#43 | Back to Top03-29-2008 06:02:22 PM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

Recent changes works perfectly for me in Hypnomouse, err... Firefox.

#44 | Back to Top03-29-2008 06:03:20 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Apparently the problem had to do with my browser cache, because I cleared it and it worked.  Bizarre.

#45 | Back to Top03-29-2008 11:34:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Today I wrote "Shoujo Kakumei Utena," "Ohtori Academy," "Tenjou Utena," "Kiryuu Touga," and "Empty Movement."  But there are still so many core articles that need to be written!  And I can't keep this up; I burn out fast emot-frown

#46 | Back to Top03-30-2008 02:06:43 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I'm too scared to write anything now. Clarice, lost for words? WHO KNEW IT WAS POSSIBLE?! emot-gonk

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#47 | Back to Top03-30-2008 06:13:53 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

I'm not sure about the translation of Itsuka Kakumeisareru Monogatari... I always knew that the correct translation was "The story that will be revolutionized".

Sat check this out!

Last edited by Sey (03-30-2008 06:14:21 AM)

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#48 | Back to Top03-30-2008 10:31:28 AM

mazoboom
The Boom King
Website

That's literally what "Kakumeisareru Monogatari" means, but don't forget about the "itsuka" which means "someday" or "sometime."  But in English "Someday the Story that is Revolutionized" doesn't make much sense since Japanese assumes a lot in its sentences. 

Well. That's why it's good the titles of our pages are the Japanese and not translations.

And Sey, don't be afraid to go in and edit things yourself either.

And you too Clarice, there's no need to be scared.  Even a little bit will be a seed for other editors or yourself to make it grow better.  Watch as your tiny contributions grow into a large wiki!

#49 | Back to Top03-30-2008 11:14:30 AM

Sey
Our Sicilian Prince
Website

That's true, but I don't want to correct if I'm not 100% sure and because I wasn't sure I didin't edited emot-gonk

Your lovely "That's Amore" IRG User.

#50 | Back to Top03-30-2008 11:20:29 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

As far as the translation of the video game, that's really a discussion for the talk page emot-smile

Board footer