This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-25-2014 01:46:50 PM

Jimothyette
New Student
Website

Yuri Kuma Arashi!

This is a newer project that Ikuhara's working on.  Like Utena, he's collabing with a manga artist and making an anime adaptation at roughly the same time!
The first chapter of the manga just came up today, and it seems like it'll be really awesome!
Here's a bit about the project: http://yurirec.tumblr.com/post/75192233 … uma-arashi
And here's the first chapter of the manga: http://dynasty-scans.com/series/yuri_kuma_arashi
I, for one, am super-super excited (but that might just be because I'm a sucker for yuri in general).emot-dance

...What am I doing here?  I fell asleep at Mcdonalds, and I can't remember anything after that

#2 | Back to Top03-26-2014 06:02:01 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Yuri Kuma Arashi!

I'm not going to lie, I flipped through this and the whole time was thinking 'Yep. This is Ikuhara.'

I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it's certainly very uh, yuri.

Thanks so much for the link and the translation though! That happened fast--things have changed so much from when you couldn't get your hands on anything out of Japan, nevermind everything. emot-biggrin

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#3 | Back to Top03-26-2014 01:12:15 PM

yusaku
String Theorist

Jim thanks for the preview. After viewing the first episode link, I see this is a yuri. I may read the manga project just because Ikuhara is originating this project. I sure looked through the entire episode you posted. Yet, I may not continue to view more of this current Ikuhara offering because it is yuri. I like yuri, but I really try to avoid it like the DMV, Department of Motor Vehicles, on car registration day. It is easy to get stuck on this kind of stuff.

Last edited by yusaku (03-26-2014 01:21:34 PM)

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#4 | Back to Top03-27-2014 10:50:38 AM

Arki
Dark Whisperer

Yes. It's very Ikuhara and I am slightly worried, because Penguindrum was a mess.

But I looked up some of Morishima Akiko's (the manga artist) other work and damn... I was gonna give it a quick look, but I ended up reading a bunch of stuff. Narratively speaking and even in terms of art, she's good! And the yuri isn't some 'are they aren't they we just won't tell for sure', but a 'nope I'll work in several situations and conversations where I destroy anything which would suggest ambiguity or akogare'. I can't help but feel hopeful about that. And I'm imagining some nice scenario in which Ikuhara is throwing around ridiculous ideas and Morishima is like 'ok ok but let's structure that a little bit hmm hmm?' and beautiful collaboration and success happens~

#5 | Back to Top03-27-2014 12:59:50 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

because Penguindrum was a mess.

Sad but true in a way emot-gonk

So . . . does anyone know if there is gonna be an anime adaptation of this Yuri Kuma Arashi?  Or is this gonna be a manga project only?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#6 | Back to Top03-27-2014 03:25:12 PM

Jimothyette
New Student
Website

I'm pretty sure that it's going to be a double project, with both an anime and a manga.

...What am I doing here?  I fell asleep at Mcdonalds, and I can't remember anything after that

#7 | Back to Top03-28-2014 02:36:37 PM

HonorableShadow
Thorn of Death

Well, I adored Penguindrum, so if it turns out as good I'll be happy.

I really liked the scene outside because I think the main girl (forgot her name) was going to admit to the other one that she liked girls. And then the other girl went totally off the rails with the bear theory and the MC was really touched that she'd be her friend even if she was an alien bear. So she didn't see the need to go on. I thought that was cute. (I could be totally wrong about what she had been planning to say though.) Looking forward to more!

Last edited by HonorableShadow (03-28-2014 02:39:12 PM)

I'll show you a sight you've never seen before.

#8 | Back to Top03-28-2014 04:31:05 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

Hmm . . . there's that thing about plain, non-outstanding people being 'transparent' again, just like in MP.

Does this mean 'transparent storm' is a metaphor for social pressure coming from the average janes surrounding the leading ladies?  To keep them from openly admitting their yuri-feels?

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#9 | Back to Top03-28-2014 10:28:09 PM

Flah
Belladonna Buster

Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into this, especially so early in the series, but it's right now feeling like a reversal of the roles in SKU with the quiet wallflower protagonist seeking out the sporty extrovert instead of the other way around. I have some more wild speculations but I'm not prepared to share them and embarrass myself until a few more chapters come out.

Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?

#10 | Back to Top04-01-2014 04:22:25 PM

McGreddy
Saionji Slapper

Any word on when this is due out? I know the manga's beginning already, but I haven't heard any dates set for the anime.

#11 | Back to Top04-01-2014 05:01:38 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

Sounds like fun, to be sure. I'm a little cautious, tho

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

Board footer