This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top12-24-2006 10:43:52 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Musical Theater

We have any theater freaks out there? I work as a musical director and musician in my area so I've heard a LOT of musicals. I was wondering if anybody else loved theater as well! emot-biggrin

I'm a huge Stephen Sondheim fan, myself.

#2 | Back to Top12-24-2006 10:50:14 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

Re: Musical Theater

Yes.

Of what I've seen, I like Guys and Dolls the best, I think. emot-dance A Chorus Line, also. I was more or less raised on musicals, my mother being a huge fan, so a lot of my childhood memories revolve around this or that soundtrack.

(And I admit to also being a huge Cats fan. emot-redface)

#3 | Back to Top12-24-2006 10:55:38 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Once upon a time in high school (a decade ago for me now emot-tongue ) I was in the pit orchestra (viola) for our junior and senior year musicals.  Fiddler on the Roof and Once Upon a Mattress respectively.

High school sucked except for those musicals.

The King and I (the cinematic version with Yul Brynner) is my favorite musical.

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-24-2006 11:07:15 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#4 | Back to Top12-24-2006 11:40:46 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

I like musicals. My favorite is Evita... In 2004, I saw the movie version of it in my music class. I didn't like it at first, but I saw it again when my sister rented it, and now I have the entire thing memorized. Given the fact that it's nothing but singing, that's an entire 160 minutes of music. I usually end up getting a sore throat when I sing the entire thing. I recently saw the it in a theater, and absolutely loved it.

For someone who has no relation to the Spanish culture, I know I lot about Eva Duarte. e_e

#5 | Back to Top12-25-2006 01:15:45 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I love musical theater! My favorite musicals, off the top of my head, are Avenue Q, Wicked, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and 42nd Street. Yes, that's six. But I love them.

Last Five Years is also excellent and surprisingly romantic. It really appeals to the sap in me.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#6 | Back to Top12-25-2006 10:26:12 AM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Last Five Years is wonderful. Norbert Leo Butz is phenomenal in it. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Emiemipoemi (12-25-2006 03:49:45 PM)

#7 | Back to Top12-25-2006 10:31:18 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

MUSICALS!!!!!! I LOVE MUSICALS!!!!!!!

emot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrinemot-biggrin

BOY AM I GLAD WE HAVE THIS THREAD!

I have seen (live, that is):

Les Miserables, Chicago, Hairspray, Nine, Cats, Beauty & The Beast, Lion King, Brigadoon, Aida, 42nd Street, & The Frogs (it had Nathan Lane in it! I etc-love him!).

I loved them all, except for Nine.  That one was just way too confusing.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#8 | Back to Top12-25-2006 10:33:57 AM

Nessy
Website

Ohh my parents took me to the Lion King musical for my birthday two years ago...I started crying during "The Circle of Life" because it was so beautiful. emot-gonk The Lion King was a huge part of my childhood, so it was soo amazing to see it live like that...

#9 | Back to Top12-25-2006 10:43:07 AM

hyacinth_black
une personne horrible
Website

Nessy wrote:

Ohh my parents took me to the Lion King musical for my birthday two years ago...I started crying during "The Circle of Life" because it was so beautiful. emot-gonk The Lion King was a huge part of my childhood, so it was soo amazing to see it live like that...

Oh man, it's amazing what they did for it in the theatre!

Any musical/Lion King fan should definitly see it, because it's amazing.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/hyacinth-black/woops.gif
Hyacinth Black: Not much else to say, is there?

#10 | Back to Top12-25-2006 03:50:59 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Hyacinth, what did you think of The Frogs? I have that show on CD and I must say I love it. (etc-love Sondheim!)

#11 | Back to Top12-25-2006 04:38:33 PM

_ J _
Manly and Buxom = Manxome

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

The King and I (the cinematic version with Yul Brynner) is my favorite musical.

You're my new favourite.  etc-love

I will always be here to listen, the question is, whether or not you can hear...

Proptre Qua Dictum

#12 | Back to Top12-25-2006 05:38:08 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Oh I'm a HUGE fan of musicals.  Unfortunately they don't come around incredibly often where I live... but I did travel 8 hours to see "Phantom of the Opera"... which was worth it because the man playing the Phantom was much better than Michael Crawford imho.  I'm a big Webber fan but I love a lot of other musicals too.  I really want to see The Lion King... heck, I want to see Tarzan too.  Part of me wants to see Anne Rice's Lestat... but it looks just a bit too... meh.  Anne Rice's stuff just isn't good anymore.

#13 | Back to Top12-25-2006 09:10:03 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Imaginary Bad Bug wrote:

Once upon a time in high school (a decade ago for me now emot-tongue ) I was in the pit orchestra (viola) for our junior and senior year musicals.

I used to play viola~ But recently stopped mostly due to how badly it hurt to play (and partially I was becoming uninterested.)

I was more a concert person though myself...

#14 | Back to Top12-25-2006 09:26:49 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

allegoriest wrote:

I used to play viola~ But recently stopped mostly due to how badly it hurt to play (and partially I was becoming uninterested.)

I was more a concert person though myself...

Sadly, I haven't even played since I graduated. emot-frown  I need to find something to play and pick it up again.  I'm a bit rusty at converting from G to C clef in my mind though.  Jumping back into it and going to third or fifth position right away would be a challenge.  I'm sure playing it in general is like riding a bike though, and it would come back in no time.

I always enjoyed playing in the concerts as well (by (I think) junior year I had made it to second chair), but those musicals were the highlight of my musical career in school by far.

And hooray!  Somebody else on the planet knows what the viola is!  It's always a nice surprise when you don't have to explain what one is to somebody. emot-biggrin

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (12-25-2006 09:29:42 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#15 | Back to Top12-25-2006 10:53:30 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

Omg you've really had to explain a viola to someone?? emot-aaa

#16 | Back to Top12-25-2006 11:15:58 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

I've had to explain the French horn to many people, and the oboe to many more. And that's kind of sad, because I don't even play the oboe.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#17 | Back to Top12-25-2006 11:22:24 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Emiemipoemi wrote:

Omg you've really had to explain a viola to someone?? emot-aaa

You'd be surprised.

I was first during school, but I am most certiain it was because none of the others could play.

My hands eventually stoped moving, and I decided I liked having use of them considerably more than playing viola... which I mostly did because... I really have no idea honestly. But I kept it up for at least ten years...
My friend I had lessons with for a while is trying to start playing again, but she says she's been having a considerable amount of trouble and she was always VERY good at playing.

Now I try to transcribe and arrange stuff for viola, but am oh so very lazy. (currently attempting kom susser todd from end of evangelion for viola and piano. probably wouldn't take so long if I was learing the piano part as I go along since I have NO coordination)

#18 | Back to Top12-26-2006 12:57:55 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

Musical Theater...why...I love it..
It's my dream to go to the San Carlo Opera House Theater in Naples Italy to see Tristan und Isolde....
emot-danceetc-love
But..yes..I do love American Theater as well...such as..
Phantom of the Opera.....yes I am one of those crazed POTO fangirls...
Rent...
The Color Purple.....
Carmen...My favorite....
ah...so many to love....etc-love

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#19 | Back to Top12-26-2006 01:01:23 PM

Nessy
Website

G&Ysnumber1fan wrote:

The Color Purple

I've been really curious about this one, but a little bit too aprehensive to look into it more. What's it like? Alice Walker is one of my favorite authors and I adore the book, so I haven't really been sure of how to react.

#20 | Back to Top12-26-2006 01:17:26 PM

G&Ysnumber1fan
Tenjou Tilter
Website

At first...I was kinda worried that Oprah's erm....(well you know how she usually is)..over being able to produce it would make it end up a total let down....kinda the way Rose O'Donell killed offed Taboo....but after I saw...Their Eyes Were Watching God on ABC...I immediately ordered tickets to fly to NYC and see the show for myself...just to see what all the brouhaha was about.

I was surprised....it captured me the way I was captured when I first read the book. It still has its universal themes...so...I'm sure you will enjoy it

Akio..and James Brown(R.I.P.) have two things in common:
1)They are sex machines...
2)They are the only ones that could possibly make jumping over the windshield of a car look effortless..

#21 | Back to Top12-26-2006 01:28:35 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

G&Ysnumber1fan wrote:

At first...I was kinda worried that Oprah's erm....(well you know how she usually is)..over being able to produce it would make it end up a total let down...

Normally I would cower in fear at the mention of Oprah but actually that's very encouraging to hear and makes me interested. I don't know if I'm about to step on MUSICAL THEATER PURISTS RAAAAWR that are going to prefer a musical in all cases, but her performance in the movie was absolutely incredible and I really want to know why she didn't do more dramatic acting. Same for Whoopi Goldberg. Really an awesome awesome movie. If the musical holds up to it, I'd totally go see it.

Why must everything I want to do be in New York. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#22 | Back to Top12-26-2006 09:21:36 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

I love musical theater and I was inb a few high school productions. I still love the theater even though the politics of my high school drama program left me jaded and bitter about ever following through on that dream. *grimace* I blame the production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. But moving on...

Stephen Sondhiem is a god. I love most of the musicals he has done. I like Andrew Lloyd Weber but, he receint works have left met wanting lately. The most of the music for Sunset Blvd. was um okay but only a few songs really reached out to grab me, ulike Phantom and Aspects of Love where nearly ever song has me interested.

I've seen a lot of musicals in my time. I am actually a little sad that PBS doesn't really seem to do American Playhouse any more, because that gave people a chance to see some broadway shows they might not otherwise go and see. I remember when I was little my dad had recorded Sunday in the Park with George off of the t.v. and my little sister and I practically wore the tape out.

Does any one remember the concept albul for Jekyl and Hyde with Linda Eder and Colm Wilkinson? It was before the show ever got off the ground and it seemed to take years before the next version of the musical came out which was a two cd set with more of the songs that would later make up the final musical. And I have to say after all the waiting and build up when I finally did get to see the show in San Francisco I was a little disappointed.

Goodness I could gone on forever about shows I've seen. I think my favorite shows are as follows:

Sunday in the Park With George
Into the Woods
Caberet
Chicago
The Secret Garden
Phantom of the Opera
A Chorus Line
Les Miserable
Wicked
Sweeny Todd

And speaking of musicals have you all seen Dreamgirls yet? emot-dance OMG Jennifer Hudson! It was really good. Unfortunately I can not compare to the stage version because I haven't seen it on stage...yet.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#23 | Back to Top12-26-2006 10:40:56 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

YES another Sondheim fan!! emot-biggrin

Sunday in the Park With George is possibly the most gorgeous thing EVAR. I cried like 3 times the first time I listened to it.

#24 | Back to Top12-26-2006 11:21:07 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Oh wow I just noticed your signature. I have never seen Assasins but I have always wanted to. It's an interesting musical.

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#25 | Back to Top12-27-2006 12:19:45 AM

Nessy
Website

Alithea wrote:

Caberet

Oh jeez I love Cabaret! I didn't even think to mention it! Fosse basically makes me die. Of happiness.

I love Sweet Charity also, but mostly only for the richfamous-people-dances and Hey Big Spender.

Last edited by Nessy (12-27-2006 01:29:57 AM)

Board footer