This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top03-04-2008 01:05:33 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Re: IRG Sings!

Rushita wrote:

If I follow that range, I should be countertenor, but I'm a female emot-gonk

I thought this was exactly the definition of a contralto? emot-smile
I used to sing alto parts and even soprano parts on my choir, too, but back then my voice was still a child's (I guess. I'm so bad -read: untrained- that I can't even tell when my voice changed emot-confused).

#27 | Back to Top03-04-2008 02:34:30 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

I can't sing. I really can't. My voice isn't awful when I talk, but when I sing... Well, not everyone is able to stand that sound. emot-rolleyes

I want to hear you guys, I'm sure you're all wonderful. Could you put your songs on youtube or sth like that?

Last edited by dlaire (03-04-2008 02:35:17 AM)

#28 | Back to Top03-04-2008 08:13:31 AM

Anthiena
Egghead

By the graces of wierdness, I shall be paid today. I shall acquire a microphone. I've got a pretty damn unique speaking voice IMHO.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#29 | Back to Top03-04-2008 12:50:30 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Training helps, but my voice teacher used to say that it's 90% mental and 10% technique.  I agree. :-)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#30 | Back to Top03-04-2008 01:02:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Surely "talent" or "how good your voice genes are" must enter into it too, no?

#31 | Back to Top03-04-2008 01:58:08 PM

Emiemipoemi
Troublesome Insect

I'm a music director and a vocal coach so I usually don't judge my own voice. I judge other people! YOU CAN'T BE IN THE SHOW BECAUSE YOU ARE AWFUL. That's what I usually do. Well not really just that. That's only once in a while. I help people sing better for theater. However, I have a mezzo soprano/belter voice with a low break. Damn that break.

#32 | Back to Top03-04-2008 05:39:42 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

satyreyes wrote:

Not as much as you'd think....  I've always been of the opinion that with training and confidence MOST people could sing passably.  Not awesome-ly.  But passably.  And that very few people would be hopeless.

Some things, like range, are determined by your physiology.  But range alone doesn't make a good singer, and what you think your range might be can often be expanded under the guidance of a coach.

Maybe it's just because I've met so many people who insisted they had horrible voices, but actually didn't.  They just thought they did and hadn't ever been taught a thing about singing.  Those two combined...

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (03-04-2008 05:44:06 PM)

#33 | Back to Top03-04-2008 07:57:23 PM

Scortia
Rose Bride

Well I'm a trained pianist.... but a closet singer.  So I really don't know what my range is persay... probably some sort of an Alto because I know I definitely can't hit high notes.  I'll choose to sing as the Phantom over Christine any day, because I can sing his part easily by comparison.  (though I switch between both mid-song sometimes which I'm sure would creep people out if I did it in public) emot-tongue 

As for style... my style is whatever I'm singing... I'm a permanent karaoke singer as I take on the voice of whomever was the original singer.  So it could be Bonnie Pink, Disney princesses, Gackt,... etc... My voice has multiple personality disorder. ~_~

#34 | Back to Top03-04-2008 11:36:55 PM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

rhyaniwyn wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Not as much as you'd think....  I've always been of the opinion that with training and confidence MOST people could sing passably.  Not awesome-ly.  But passably.  And that very few people would be hopeless.

Singing can be closely compared to playing sports. Most people simply don't have the innate ability to become, say, a professional basketball player. To make it in professional sports, a person needs to start with a lot of talent and then work as hard as humanly possible and it's the same for singing. That being said, how many people just play basketball for fun? One hell of a lot. It doesn't matter that they'll never be professionals, they do it because it's fun, and watching a good pick-up game of basketball is also enjoyable.

Most people could never be professional singers. An opera singer needs, in the words of my choir conductor, "an abnormally large pharynx." It's simply needed to generate the huge amount of sound, as opera singers sing over full orchestras in large concert halls and don't use microphones. My conductor is a very fine singer and has performed in good venues with small orchestras but he readily admits that he could never be a big opera star because he just lacks the physical capability to sing in that capacity.

So, summary? Read what Rhyaniwyn said because she's right. emot-tongue

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#35 | Back to Top03-05-2008 03:07:14 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

Scortia wrote:

I'll choose to sing as the Phantom over Christine any day, because I can sing his part easily by comparison.  (though I switch between both mid-song sometimes which I'm sure would creep people out if I did it in public) emot-tongue

I do the same thing. Especially when singing what I play with flute: when it's too high, I switch to the lower octave without blinking. emot-biggrin

#36 | Back to Top03-05-2008 09:32:41 AM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I didn't mean to imply that everyone could be an opera singer.  Or a professional/top tier singer of any particular style.  But an unobjectionably competent singer, yeah, I think most people could be.  Personally I find singing so cathartic that it makes me sad when people are afraid to use their voices. :-(  I'm not very good, even though I have taken a number of lessons throughout my life.

If you wanna see me doing bad karaoke and promise not to put it on YouTube, I've got some links ;-)

#37 | Back to Top03-06-2008 11:25:14 AM

Asfalolh
Knight of Gates

rhyaniwyn wrote:

If you wanna see me doing bad karaoke and promise not to put it on YouTube, I've got some links ;-)

emot-biggrin Please?

After several attempts, this is the best I could come up with:
Asfa's voice singing Mozart's Nocturn Luci care, a cappella with some background noise from the street works. Forgive the multiple mistakes and the poor Italian accent. emot-tongue

#38 | Back to Top03-06-2008 04:25:39 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Rae wrote:

Something "classical" (meaning classical sounding): "Think of Me" - Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Haven't had a chance to listen to the other (or Asfalolh yet, will soon!), but you sound great here.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (03-06-2008 04:26:25 PM)

#39 | Back to Top03-06-2008 09:40:56 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

This looks like a fun bandwagon!

Here's my voice -- the best of several takes on the Rose of Versailles opening song.  With super-special-awesome karaoke backing!

#40 | Back to Top08-29-2008 07:40:12 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

SUPER NECRO POWERS, ACTIVATE!!!!

For those who have not heard it- You're not here from SH3

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#41 | Back to Top08-29-2008 08:33:47 PM

Alithea
Dark Whisperer
Website

Oy vey! Here is a link to my voice post on LJ. The quality is sucky to say the least. Mer.

http://stoic-rose.livejournal.com/283540.html

"The only reason to write is to write for love. Write for passion. If you have the privilege of being able to write, then don't do it for any other reason." - Stephen Sondheim

#42 | Back to Top08-29-2008 09:04:58 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

AnjitheArtist: Thank you for the necro, Anji! *grins* Rawr. etc-love

Alithea: I finally have an idea how you sound, dearest! So cute! etc-love

MORE! MORE! MORE!

I'll contribute too.... I think. >D

"I pronounce you officially engaged."

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#43 | Back to Top08-29-2008 11:16:01 PM

hayama
Ruthless Deflorist

Ah, I don't have any mp3s right now, but I have some videos from a chorus concert (sadly, my solo performance wasn't recorded).

Fields of Gold

I have a solo at 3:14.

Moon River

A solo at 1:24.

I had an .mp3 of myself singing Kajiura's Canta Per Me, and one of a Gregorian Chant project I did for my music composition, but I can't find them at the moment.

Last edited by hayama (08-29-2008 11:18:54 PM)

Boy, you're gonna carry that weight.

#44 | Back to Top08-30-2008 01:12:49 PM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes wrote:

This looks like a fun bandwagon!

Here's my voice -- the best of several takes on the Rose of Versailles opening song.  With super-special-awesome karaoke backing!

It's expired before I have listened to it.. emot-frown Could you upload this again? Pleaaaaase..? poptart Asfalolh's file is not found too, Asfa please post this once again! emot-keke
Hayama, I love Moon River! Your voice is really great emot-smile etc-love

I would like to hear everyone here, if it's possible. emot-redface Seriously! If I were cruel, I would post myself singing 'Killing me softly' emot-tongue

#45 | Back to Top08-30-2008 05:58:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I deleted it a long time ago emot-frown  I'm thinking about recording something, but first I have to get up the motivation.

#46 | Back to Top08-30-2008 10:33:30 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

AnjitheArtist wrote:

SUPER NECRO POWERS, ACTIVATE!!!!

For those who have not heard it- You're not here from SH3

Anji dear, I think you forgot to link it to your PutFile site. *smiles* Go edit and let the people hear your lovely voice! *grins* SILENT HILL 3 You're Not Here etc-love etc-love etc-love

satyreyes wrote:

I deleted it a long time ago emot-frown  I'm thinking about recording something, but first I have to get up the motivation.

What motivation? CHICK SPEECH. NOW. KTNXBAI. *grins*

hayama wrote:

Ah, I don't have any mp3s right now, but I have some videos from a chorus concert (sadly, my solo performance wasn't recorded).

Sorry, hayama. I can't view YouTube. Can you upload them to a file sharing site? *smiles*

Last edited by Seitokaichou (08-31-2008 07:15:49 PM)

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/utenasignetringfanbase/linkback/rsen.gif

#47 | Back to Top08-30-2008 11:31:02 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Seitokaichou wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Fine, fine, as demanded: satyreyes doing the Chick Speech!  Seventeen seconds of my voice saying sexy words.  emot-wink

#48 | Back to Top08-31-2008 02:12:47 AM

dlaire
A Whole Orange

satyreyes wrote:

Seitokaichou wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

Fine, fine, as demanded: satyreyes doing the Chick Speech!  Seventeen seconds of my voice saying sexy words.  emot-wink

I like your voice! emot-smile It's cool for ringtone, I'm sure!

#49 | Back to Top08-31-2008 04:01:27 PM

Seitokaichou
Knight of Gates
Website

satyreyes wrote:

WIN. poptart And you do have a sexy voice. *winks* Thanks for sharing! etc-love

#50 | Back to Top08-31-2008 07:07:51 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

Board footer