This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top03-14-2011 04:09:07 PM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Nozomi Utena Set 1 pre-order + submit questions to Ikuhara on website

The first set of the Nozomi rerelease is now available for pre-order on their website, with a shipdate of June 7th 2011. At the moment, it's only $29!!

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalo … 1381/4/0/0

Also, if you visit Nozomi's new Utena website, you can submit questions to Ikuhara which will be answered in an upcoming interview!

http://utena.rightstuf.com/

#2 | Back to Top03-14-2011 05:21:34 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Re: Nozomi Utena Set 1 pre-order + submit questions to Ikuhara on website

Finally. Fuck yeah.etc-saiowanketc-saiowank

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#3 | Back to Top03-14-2011 06:57:29 PM

Frau Eva
Voodoo Queen

JUST PRE-ORDERED. Oh man, and I'll get it just in time for my birthday! emot-dance

We need to think up some good questions for Ikuhara! ...Even though he'll most likely not answer them.

Hat Mafia Member

#4 | Back to Top03-14-2011 07:42:38 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

Super! emot-biggrinemot-biggrin

#5 | Back to Top03-14-2011 08:16:44 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Frau Eva wrote:

We need to think up some good questions for Ikuhara! ...Even though he'll most likely not answer them.

Q: What inspired you to use an observatory as Akio's center of operations?

Ikuhara: Did you know that my car can travel 600km on a single tank of gas?

emot-rofl

Last edited by Imaginary Bad Bug (03-14-2011 08:17:08 PM)

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#6 | Back to Top03-14-2011 09:07:07 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

To be honest, I'd much rather buy from the Japanese companies. I don't want to support a company that did such a terrible job on the dubbing.

#7 | Back to Top03-14-2011 10:09:01 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Charuru wrote:

To be honest, I'd much rather buy from the Japanese companies. I don't want to support a company that did such a terrible job on the dubbing.

That's CPM, not rightstuff/nozomi.  CPM did and messed up the job -the company releasing it right now is Nozomi, and they had nothing to do with the dub, and they have been doing their best (making an account here to ask for our preferences and desires directly, spending months just working on securing the rights to the extras )to give us an amazingly beautiful, extra-packed and affordable release after the original license holders went under.  Unfortunately, a re-release for an older niche anime will not pull in enough money for them to have been able to afford investing in a new english dub, so they do have to use the CPM dub, but you still get the beautiful remastered art with lovingly translated subtitles.

#8 | Back to Top03-15-2011 03:07:53 AM

Aelanie
Black Rosarian

Indeed, Nozomi deserves your business. They've literally spent years securing the various rights permissions, not only for the show itself, but for the many extras which all had to be negotiated for seperately. Now, after having done all that work, they are offering the first 1/3rd of it to us for that cheap!?

You shouldn't care about dubs anyway. The Japanese version is the real show. I feel more strongly about this than most, because Utena was the show that, many many years ago now, converted me fully and finally to subtitles. Prior to watching it, I had always watched dubs even though I knew subs were preferred. When I first bought Utena, I knew that it was an important, influential work, and I was committed to experiencing it properly in the original Japanese. Well I certainly did, and I've never looked back since.

In any case...

buy from the Japanese companies

I already did. emot-tongue

http://oi51.tinypic.com/ibdf94.jpg

#9 | Back to Top03-15-2011 11:13:06 AM

Riri-kins
World's End

Squee!  Now I can actually have some DVDs to watch whenever I want! I wish I could think of a question that didn't involve Nanami, though.

Proud Saionji and Mikage fangirl
My Utena fanfiction: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2000115/Riri-kins

#10 | Back to Top03-15-2011 02:30:16 PM

yuzukelly
Rose Smilee

i really, REALLY want these! xD I just bought the CPM release last summer(i saw it for a semi reasonable price[from most of what i have seen before] and i decided it was time for me to own it XD)....it was before i found out about the re-release... but i think im going to buy this. LOOK AT THOSE BOXES *drools* it's decided. i need them in my life xDD

#11 | Back to Top03-15-2011 02:55:18 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Riri-kins wrote:

Squee!  Now I can actually have some DVDs to watch whenever I want! I wish I could think of a question that didn't involve Nanami, though.

That's okay, one of mine was "Where did Nanami get a dissolving dress?"

#12 | Back to Top03-15-2011 05:37:05 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Charuru wrote:

That's CPM, not rightstuff/nozomi.  CPM did and messed up the job -the company releasing it right now is Nozomi, and they had nothing to do with the dub, and they have been doing their best (making an account here to ask for our preferences and desires directly, spending months just working on securing the rights to the extras )to give us an amazingly beautiful, extra-packed and affordable release after the original license holders went under.  Unfortunately, a re-release for an older niche anime will not pull in enough money for them to have been able to afford investing in a new english dub, so they do have to use the CPM dub, but you still get the beautiful remastered art with lovingly translated subtitles.

Sweet, thanks for the clarification!

#13 | Back to Top03-15-2011 06:35:29 PM

Azure
High Tripper
Website

Charuru wrote:

The casting wasn't badly done. It was the ADR direction that was bad. :[

In short; Crispin Freeman was the only man who could ever be Touga's English voice. etc-love
(The only actual voice I had major problems with was Ruka's. D: Cheese.)

Not to mention, the entire US anime industry deserves your business. ;_; The only way most of them stay around as long as they do amidst a fanbase that only buys 1/20th of their anime intake is to practically GIVE stuff away.

EDIT: Also; Ikuhara, do you think Anthy and Utena had that tea date ten years later?

lololol something he will never, ever answer. I also asked if he wanted to do anything else with Be-Papas in the future and if he still considered Utena his master work. (lame, yes. Can't think of anything else though. :<)

Last edited by Azure (03-15-2011 06:44:15 PM)

Indefinite. Empty. Mythos & Eternity

#14 | Back to Top03-15-2011 06:50:35 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Charuru wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Charuru wrote:

Cool beans.  Now go pre-order and join the kewl kids in our fanzie-ing!

#15 | Back to Top03-15-2011 10:49:07 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

Oh, man, questions?  Now that I have the opportunity my mind is a total blank. :-(

But this is so exciting!!!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#16 | Back to Top03-15-2011 11:25:12 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

God, I told myself I wouldn't waste money on a DVD set I already own but... FUCK IT. It's too beautiful not to buy emot-biggrin

My question was: How do you feel about the anime of today? Do you believe that the current trend of "moe" and "ecchi" shows are preventing anime from reaching a broader audience?

Last edited by chrisb (03-15-2011 11:30:06 PM)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#17 | Back to Top03-16-2011 07:22:47 PM

Lightice
Azure Paleontologist

Looking damn good! Even the price is good value. Preordering now.

Now to find a way to get rid of the old edition...

Hei! Aa-Shanta 'Nygh!

#18 | Back to Top03-16-2011 08:24:05 PM

Charuru
Ohtori Paramouri

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Charuru wrote:

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Cool beans.  Now go pre-order and join the kewl kids in our fanzie-ing!

Of course, emot-smile Buying!!! I definitely need the new copy of this.

Last edited by Charuru (03-16-2011 08:24:24 PM)

#19 | Back to Top03-17-2011 12:19:45 AM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

I just pre-ordered it! I'm really excited about getting it; I'll probably be counting down the days to when I get Utena, instead of days until school ends. I love that we're getting box sets with the badass new art from the recent Japanese remastered release. I like that they give you a nice discount when you pre-order it too. Of course, if I had to pay the $49.99 price I would. However, $29.99 is so much nicer for the poor college student. The shipping isn't too bad either.

By the way, it says that the first box set has episodes 1-12. I wonder why they split it up like that instead of putting 13 episodes on each set.  Any thoughts?

I like that you can submit questions to Ikuhara, even if he probably won't answer them in a coherent manner. I kind of want to ask if the Shadow Girls are really aliens and if they know the Kamehameha from Dragon Ball.

Maybe I'll not include the Kamehameha part. I also want to ask if Akio will be getting stabbed with those swords of hatred now that Anthy left.

Last edited by CausalityStar (03-17-2011 12:37:56 AM)

#20 | Back to Top03-17-2011 09:59:01 AM

Calamity
High Tripper

emot-biggrin Preordered this last night! So very excited. Thank you guys so much for keeping the beautiful covers from the Japanese sets. Ahhh, very much looking forward to June now. :3

#21 | Back to Top03-17-2011 06:15:23 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

Azure wrote:

EDIT: Also; Ikuhara, do you think Anthy and Utena had that tea date ten years later?

lololol something he will never, ever answer. I also asked if he wanted to do anything else with Be-Papas in the future and if he still considered Utena his master work. (lame, yes. Can't think of anything else though. :<)

Even if he doesn't answer, I think an Utena/Anthy resolution question MUST be asked. That's my vote!

#22 | Back to Top03-17-2011 06:24:16 PM

Dani
IRG Messiah

CausalityStar wrote:

By the way, it says that the first box set has episodes 1-12. I wonder why they split it up like that instead of putting 13 episodes on each set.  Any thoughts?

I like that you can submit questions to Ikuhara, even if he probably won't answer them in a coherent manner. I kind of want to ask if the Shadow Girls are really aliens and if they know the Kamehameha from Dragon Ball.

Maybe I'll not include the Kamehameha part. I also want to ask if Akio will be getting stabbed with those swords of hatred now that Anthy left.

The 13th episode is a recap ep of the first 12 so it makes sense to me that it be the first ep of the second set as a "refresher". I would love to ask a Shadow Girls question too, beyond the role of a Shakespeare herald, what are they supposed to be? What does he think they lend to the story? And a swords of hate question, yes awesome.

#23 | Back to Top03-17-2011 11:39:49 PM

ArsenicForBreakfast
Pathtracer
Website

emot-biggrin Pre-ordered as soon as I saw the news!  I'll finally be able to replace the battered remnants of my student council boxset (the unfortunate results of lending it to everyone I know at one time or another) I do wonder what the special gift will be; I'd pre-order all the boxed sets anyway, but...all of the suggestions were pretty awesome, so I'd be happy no matter what

I'm a fan of pessimism: if you maintain the lowest expectations possible, they'll always be met or exceeded.

#24 | Back to Top03-18-2011 01:32:02 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

ArsenicForBreakfast wrote:

I do wonder what the special gift will be; I'd pre-order all the boxed sets anyway, but...all of the suggestions were pretty awesome, so I'd be happy no matter what

I re-read the entire other thread and didn't see it mentioned, but it just occurred to me how awesome a replica of Juri's locket would be.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#25 | Back to Top03-18-2011 03:43:49 PM

CausalityStar
Caretaker

Dani wrote:

CausalityStar wrote:

The 13th episode is a recap ep of the first 12 so it makes sense to me that it be the first ep of the second set as a "refresher". I would love to ask a Shadow Girls question too, beyond the role of a Shakespeare herald, what are they supposed to be? What does he think they lend to the story? And a swords of hate question, yes awesome.

I guess that recap idea makes since. Plus, I was looking at the episode lists earlier and I noticed that the Apocalypse Arc starts with episode 25. So I think they could also be shifting the episodes around so that all of the Apocalypse Arc ends up on the last box set. If box set one is episodes 1-13 and box set 2 is episodes 14-26, then two of the Apocalypse Arc episodes would end up on one box set and the rest on another. So, excluding recaps, I think they want all of the different arcs on different box sets.

Board footer