This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#176 | Back to Top06-03-2012 01:28:09 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: MOTHER EFFING YAH MINECRAFT THREAD

I go through binge/purge cycles on games like Minecraft.  I binged and now I'm purging. emot-smile  I'll be back on soon enough, most likely.

We've already discovered two NPC villages, haven't we?  Trading with those guys for emeralds is clearly going to be far and away the easiest way to get them, even if we had nearby extreme hills.  And so far it looks like there's not much reason to want them, unless you want to build a jade palace, in which case mining would be even more impractical.  I think it's premature to worry about adding worlds for the sake of mining emeralds.

As for the rest: I am perpetually surprised by how easy it is to break new ground while mining.  You actually don't have to go that far from the beaten path to find untouched earth.  (Somewhere in the woods north of OITL's place there is a small cobble monument to a spot where I randomly dug down to bedrock and found a dozen diamonds in half an hour.)  Eventually it might be smart to have a mining world, or for an admin to fly 1000 km and set a teleport point there so that we have pristine ground to break, but for the moment that seems premature to me.

I definitely do not want to lose Compass Keep and Duck Junction and Rags' wonderful tower and OITL's guest house and the rest of the awesomeness.  Call me a hoarder, but I'd be sad if we wiped the world.  emot-frown

Last edited by satyreyes (06-03-2012 01:29:20 PM)

#177 | Back to Top06-03-2012 04:20:02 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Item the first: Sorry about not being on a lot. I generally lack direction when friends aren't on, especially friends whose Skype handles I know and can convince to voice-chat. (satyr, Rag, I may one day bug you for them, but today is not that day). And when I lack direction, I tend to not bother logging in. Also, Minecraft in general has been a low priority in my gaming life, which is something that needs fixing, admittedly.

Item the second: I'm of two minds when it comes to the idea of dumping the world and starting over with the next major upgrade. The bigger one is that I have nothing really saved that can help me replicate all the stuff I've done, and I'm anal enough that I'd want a picture-perfect replication. The smaller half is more prone to throwing its hands up and saying "fuck it, I can build better after the update, in a different place even." An idea I was thinking about floating around was a communal undersea domed community, which would naturally be way more work than I did on Kurast.

Item the third: As long as even one person holds interest in the server, I'll continue to pay for it. TBH, even if nobody's interested I'll still cover costs, just because I like exploring everybody else's builds, and really? No way in hell am I letting Dragon Keep, the Cocktower and Duck Junction disappear from the face of the Internet.

Item the fourth: If everybody votes in favor of emeralds, I shan't complain. Neither will I kick up a fuss about a vote in favor of no emeralds. Maintaining multiple worlds on a server sounds like a good idea, but my primary concern is overhead. I just don't want the server fees to run to the point where everybody's forced to pitch in, especially with current economic trends as it is. I suppose my overlying belief is "you're not here to worry about server fees, you're here to have fun." And really, everybody should feel that way. Also, a Superflat Creative world = LOVE.

Item the fifth: satyr accidentally dug into Dragon's basement? This is a story I just HAVE to hear. emot-dance I've noticed that we're all really building and mining in a clump of personal territories that are closeish to Spawn City; I think the only reason Kurast hasn't been intruded on is because I deliberately went the hell out of my way, at Aine's request, to keep it away from spawn. (I wanna say it's about 1.2 or 1.5 km from the vicinity of Spawn City; I'd have to double-check.)

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#178 | Back to Top06-03-2012 07:00:42 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Here's some data to allay your concerns about your fourth item. Our server is on a 1.5G plan. The highest ram usage we ever hit was before I discovered the intelligence of resetting the server on a daily basis, and that topped out at 767M. In general, on an average day, we start out at about the low 200's, 220-240. We usually end the day in the mid-to-high 400's, occasionally tipping barely into the very low 500's. I honestly believe we could support the proposed two more worlds before things started getting potentially worrisome, since most of the memory is taken up by mods that will run at about those levels despite how many worlds we have. I would have to test and see to be sure, but if it turns out to not work, it is easy enough to be rid of the mods and the worlds.

It seems like no one wants to dump the world, and I am perfectly fine with that. I didn't expect people to want that option at all. I simply wanted to bring up the option in case someone was upset they wouldn't have... whatever they were missing. Once I bring in the creative flatland world, I will likely be recreating and replacing spawn with something more spacious and less tightly packed. There's several new blocks that need places in the shops, and I have no idea how to bring them in, several of the shop basements butt up against each other by a single block... it is beautiful, but poorly planned on my end. I will build it better! Stronger! ... faster? XD Anyway...

In reference to your sixth point, we're split closer to half and half of those close to spawn and those not. I found someone's base way out in the 30000's on one coordinate. You yourself built a couple thousand blocks away, someone else built a good few hundred blocks in the opposite direction of most of the forum, in reference to Dragon's Keep. I myself am a few thousand blocks out. But most of the forumites have built a tight close community, which I love.

You should build the underwater dome in the ocean off of spawn. It will encourage people to head in the direction of my jungle tree city.

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m526/aines_pixels/mikageirgsig02-2012.png

#179 | Back to Top06-04-2012 10:42:05 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

I'll do juuuuust that, Aine~ emot-keke

However! Before I start, I has a few questions for all y'alls. My current height budget allows for three blocks' worth of headroom in the undersea complex. I can prolly get away with a couple more blocks' worth of headroom, if necessary. Is everybody cool with three, or would you all want more headroom? (We're still prolly screwed if an endy or two happens to pop inside.)

Second, do we want gold-block floors (current default) or something else? Do we want cobble wainscoting, or do we want stronghold brick? Nether brick? Obsidian? Are you all okay with squared-off cube domes, or do you want more authentic half-spheres? This is for you guys, not me, so let me know what you'd like to see in this project!

Third, does everybody want their own private dome, or do we want more communal stuffs? I can do both if it comes down to that. emot-keke

Last thing, and this is more for Aine's benefit than anything else. Do you want me to build a downward tunnel from the edge of Spawn City, or will a warp suffice to get there once I've put it all together?

Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#180 | Back to Top06-04-2012 11:40:09 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Bio, I don't particularly have a preference on decor -- I am not much of an aesthetic designer emot-smile  But if I want a private dome, I'd rather build it myself.  Building underwater domes is challenging but fun!!

#181 | Back to Top06-04-2012 11:54:53 AM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

An underwater building seems like such a huge undertaking.

Personally I'd suggest the half-sphere look, even if Minecraft and spheres don't easily mix. I'm not sure how Nether brick looks underwater, but it might be nice. Gold floors are fine, but perhaps intersperse with glowstone (or lanterns) so that someone swimming above could see the lights?

(A minecart track leading from spawn city through an underwater tunnel would be neat, too.)

Like satyr, I'd rather build a personal place on my own; right now my 'home' on the server is a hole in a cliff. It's not fancy, but I made it myself!

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r9/RagnarokIII/spyschool.jpg

#182 | Back to Top06-04-2012 12:06:07 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

A warp will suffice, since it'd be good to go out a couple hundred blocks out anyway?

I'd have to see the gold-block, but I assume that would be fine. If you go for stone, do either smooth or stone brick. I don't much like cobble. Half spheres would be pretty. I think it would be neat to have a nice big communal area, with smaller domes for storage or farms or things like that. Three blocks above the head? So ... a five tall area? That doesn't sound bad.

Adding in the new Multiverse mods and the new flatland creative world takes the day start stats to the low 300's. I have no idea if the permissions are correct on the mod yet, but if you happen across the portal for it, feel free to wander through... if you can. :/

#183 | Back to Top06-04-2012 03:54:15 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Okay, so by general consensus the underwater place will be half-spheres, with circular areas. I'm going to admit this, here and now, and pardon my uncouth language: For me, this is gonna blow goats left and right. I've never, ever been good at circular structures, and the last time I tried building an actual spherical dome, back when I was playing Beta? I gave up and threw it all above water.

Aine, I'm fairly certain I'll be needing Dragon's help with putting together the glassy parts themselves. I've already seen what he did with the newest part of Keep, so I don't doubt his skill in the least. My main goal here, boys and girls, is that I'll have no less than three to five meters of nothing but water between the top of the domes and the surface of the ocean. I mean, to me, it's not an underwater dome unless it's convincingly underwater. Only two meters of water just doesn't cut it. I guess that as long as you can stand on the tippy-top of the dome and still pull up the oxygen meter, it's underwater. Even better if you can't see the surface water's texture when standing on the dome.

I'll do my best, though. I actually have an idea for the way everything connects; at least one of you has had to have heard about an underwater "shark tunnel" like the ones Sea World has. They're really cool and awesomesauce. I'm also primarily inspired by a game spoon-san and I love playing, an old DOS game called Heretic. The game was basically a fantasy version of the classic FPS DOOM, and the third episode was about an evil sorcerer-demon's undersea crystal-dome base of operations. I have a screencap of the concept art, I'd guess you might call it; somebody remind me to post it later today, when I find the time to get to my Photobucket account.

I may have to keep the areas themselves smallish, so I don't end up breaking the water's surface with the glass. Granted, the new biome generation system puts in oceans with a floor much deeper than I was ever used to, but that's no fix against abject derpiness, and by now you all know me and derpiness. >>;;; This isn't gonna be a two-day project like Kurast was. Aine, let Dragon know I'll need his help and to show up on Skype if he can; I don't know which one of you threw up that pretty dome at Keep, but I'll be needing their aesthetic eye for this project.

Um. Private domes are okay, I guess, but if they're private I think I'd like to request that they're kept well-away from the main undersea area. It's just a friendly request, so nobody is compelled to obey. I'd appreciate it nevertheless. emot-keke My idea was that the undersea zone was something more communal than privatized.

ETA: Here's the screenshot below. emot-keke

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q280/BioKraze/heretic_dome_of_dsparil.png

Last edited by BioKraze (06-04-2012 05:37:30 PM)

#184 | Back to Top06-05-2012 03:21:46 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk... I accidentally murdered every single mob, passive or not, in the world. Can you guys help me figure out what I need to spawn and replace? I am so so sorry!

#185 | Back to Top06-05-2012 03:27:44 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

emot-aaa

Nanami?!

And Launchpad!

And a million sheep.

#186 | Back to Top06-05-2012 03:27:47 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Aine Silveria wrote:

emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk... I accidentally murdered every single mob, passive or not, in the world. Can you guys help me figure out what I need to spawn and replace? I am so so sorry!

Wow!  emot-biggrin  Forgot to type some parameters?

On my end, only the Dark Flock needs to be resuscitated.  It was really more of a rainbow flock by the end.  If there were one sheep of every color in the paddock out back of the Compass Keep mountain, that would be fine.  I didn't have chickens or cows.

Christopher Crash was the iron golem guardian of Duck Junction.  He got in the way sometimes, but he meant well and I think he should have a successor.

I know OITL had a pretty comprehensive animal farm, and at least a few dogs.  emot-frown

#187 | Back to Top06-05-2012 03:42:30 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

Rag & Bio and I did a bit of exploring. It seems the effect was highly localized, and I killed everything in a radius around where I was in Dragon's Keep. Seems like most everything else is okay, and much less of a 'holy fuck I killed EVERYTHING IN THE WOOOOOOOORLD' issue. Still, if you find anything missing, let me know.

#188 | Back to Top06-05-2012 04:55:02 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

OITL's farm looked to be alright, I also saw at least four dogs and one cat at The East Dorm.

And Nanami survived!

#189 | Back to Top06-05-2012 10:09:52 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Ragnarok wrote:

OITL's farm looked to be alright, I also saw at least four dogs and one cat at The East Dorm.

At first I was all, D:

Then I read this and was like, emot-biggrin

#190 | Back to Top06-07-2012 06:16:57 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Aine, I've conducted the admissions test for my friend you whitelisted and a friend of OITL's. Hopefully I did it right, and hopefully you are cool with this. emot-keke

Also, today OITL said that she can't enter the Nether because she doesn't have the permission necessary. emot-frown I thought this might have to do with the multverse mod you installed recently; I'm honestly just taking guesses right now. I haven't tested it myself, but when I get the chance I assure you I will, and will report in with my findings.

#191 | Back to Top06-13-2012 09:53:53 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Double post, sorry about this. emot-frown

I finally got to a bit of testing, Aine. My therapist-ish friend and I tried to enter the Nether. Well, okay, she tried. And failed. I, on the other hand, ran into zero problems. I'm thinking perhaps the multiverse permissions are borked with admins allowed everywhere and everybody else allowed nowhere, so hopefully all you'd need to do is fiddle with those and everything will be rainbows and ponies. emot-keke At least, I'm hoping so. I know next to nothing about server mods, and I'm praying that you won't have to permission-ize every mod, one by one like you said you might have to. D:

To all the other 'crafters, if you see a person with the nametage crystlmalice and the nickname Missphyre, say hi! That's my friend here in Yuma, who's peer support for my mental health and a really nice lady who's definitively older than just about the rest of us forumite Minecrafters. Trust me, it's not very easy to offend her, even with all the Freudian jokes we constantly make about SKU.

Also, if anybody is interested/gives a rat's ass, is there anything you'd like to see in Kurast that isn't already there? I do have a bit of room to build, even if I'll need to terraform slightly (which doesn't bother me, so it's cool emot-keke ). I myself am lacking in significant ideas, but am entertaining the possibility of a convenient Nether portal whenever the multiverse issue gets fixed. I can also construct a mining camp for those that'd like to dig beneath the town and find all sorts of treasures. As you all may know, I've already added a lava-based disposal pool and an extensive farm (that I really should check on sometime).

Another idea, that could also work in Spawn City, is a floor-based compass rose, kinda like the ones you see in fancy parks and certain older buildings like museums. It's just an idea, but one I could totally get behind; I have a big problem remembering which way is officially north in the game world, and what Word of Notch said about which way the Minecraft sun sets (wasn't it in the west now? I remember it used to be in the north).

#192 | Back to Top06-20-2012 08:48:06 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I logged in today for once!  No one else was around, but I went exploring.  I found a whole bunch of birthday cake that OITL had thoughtfully left for me -- thank you etc-love  The sacrifice of the eggs of your subjects is recognized.  And I discovered that Rags has a basement, which might or might not be new.  We should log on together sometime -- I want to play King of the Mountain emot-biggrin

#193 | Back to Top06-20-2012 08:59:15 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

The basement's been there quite a while, it's just not very exciting. emot-wink

I should get back to building... the heat is making me lazy.

#194 | Back to Top06-20-2012 09:01:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Ragnarok wrote:

The basement's been there quite a while, it's just not very exciting. emot-wink

I should get back to building... the heat is making me lazy.

It was exciting when I walked toward a waterfall and an arrow struck the stone behind me!  How did you make that happen?  I get that you have a dispenser wired to a pressure plate, but how do you make the arrow come out at an angle like that through the hole at the base of the opposite wall?

#195 | Back to Top06-20-2012 09:48:56 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

That's a good question, it's not supposed to go at an angle! (There's redstone in a circuitious path.)

Also, if people want to set up a time to play on the server together I'd do my best to make it.

#196 | Back to Top06-21-2012 11:20:37 AM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Hey again, all. I was building close to Aine's jungle...way too close, in fact, though I only realized this when I saw some glowstone blocks on the edge of the jungle. >>;;; Anyway, I consulted with her about what to do and offered to pare down what I was building until it was back underwater. And then I was thinking about a song I listened to recently and thought of its name. I floated the idea of a "maritime highway" over to Aine and she seemed to think it was pretty neat. Basically a suspended network of glass shark tunnels underwater, with rings of glowstone every so often so mobs don't pop in unexpectedly.

What do you guys think? Right now there are two terminals scheduled to be constructed, one near spawn and one near Aine's jungle. It'll take some time to put them in, though; Aine has said to me that if anybody is interested in helping construct it, she'll give them temporary creative mode rights for the purpose of helping me. Do any of you have any ideas of where we should install highway terminals to make it more convenient for all the 'crafters? emot-keke

The biggest problem with this setup is that it'll cut through the ocean areas where I'd planned to build the undersea dome. Which reminds me of how we're gonna clear the water out; sponge blocks DO work on the server, so if your prank involves sucking away the water in someone's build, be prepared to help them restore it. Dragon and I learned this the hard way, when he replaced the gold floor of Kurast's shrine of Dios with sponges. >>;;;

#197 | Back to Top06-21-2012 11:30:52 AM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

BioKraze wrote:

What do you guys think? Right now there are two terminals scheduled to be constructed, one near spawn and one near Aine's jungle. It'll take some time to put them in, though; Aine has said to me that if anybody is interested in helping construct it, she'll give them temporary creative mode rights for the purpose of helping me. Do any of you have any ideas of where we should install highway terminals to make it more convenient for all the 'crafters? emot-keke

Hard to say, since I have no idea where Aine's jungle or your sealab are situated.  (I ran for a long way to find a jungle yesterday because I wanted some saplings.  No sign of any treehouses.)  If Aine's jungle is northwest of Spawn, it probably makes sense to use the basement of Duck Junction as the jumping-off point; the Rose Line would run from Spawn through Duck Junction to Aine's jungle.  But if the jungle is somewhere else, it would probably be better to put the spawn terminal in the Hana Learning Center basement, centralizing Spawn on the Rose Line and making it easy to get from Duck Junction to the jungle with only one quick transfer.

Clearing the water out is actually the easy part.  You just need to build a (minimum) one-wide-by-two-high dirt snake through the water where you want the tunnel to go, surround the snake with glass on every side, and then tunnel out the snake from one end.  No sponges necessary.  The same technique can be used to build domes.  OITL taught me this. emot-smile

#198 | Back to Top06-21-2012 12:32:22 PM

Aine Silveria
Pumpkin Bride

My jungle city is a long way from show-worthy, much less even slightly finished. It'll be a long time before I'd want anything connecting it to anywhere else. I forgot to mention that.

#199 | Back to Top06-21-2012 02:44:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

As a proof of concept, I went ahead and built a little dome in the river across the tracks from the Dark Flock.  I'd never built underwater stuff in Survival Mode before, but it wasn't that tough.  Access is through a hatch in an alcove in the nearby cliffside, if anyone wants to check it out. emot-smile

#200 | Back to Top06-21-2012 04:40:05 PM

Ragnarok
Caption Captor
Website

Which reminds me, where is your Utena statue mister?

Board footer