This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top05-29-2007 02:46:11 AM

Persephone
Memorial Hollerer
Website

College bound tips and questions

I am getting all hyper-exicted because I have applied to a public college. I'll be studying Marine Biology in a four year program.
It's not a very high end college (not like yale, harvard and stanford)
I am apprehensive about being accepted. Any advice college students can offer would be great. How is college.
I love marine Biology so I have no doubts about my choice of majors. But is there anything that I need to know?
ANYTHING?!

It's just time to be
sammy to the rasoodock.
And close up the business
of heart-related matters.

#2 | Back to Top05-29-2007 04:34:41 AM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Re: College bound tips and questions

I only applied to one place and got accepted AND a considerably higher scholarship than i thought i would get. (...This is very good as it was the LAST college accepting applications. emot-gonk ) And its a private school, but I dunno if that means anything.

(my housemate got accepted a bunch of places I hear, and she was in either the third or fourth quarter of her class [well, she went to a smart people high school, but here its easier to get into college on what your rank is]) If there's a school you REALLY want to go to though, apply NOW. They wouldn't let her in one school SOLELY because they don't like transfers. emot-mad Okay for me though because then I probably wouldn't live with her. school-devil

Nothing is worse than a teacher you hate. Nothing.
no one cares about high school, you can just leave class if you so desire (unless your teacher is EVIL) and if you're alone and not cool, everyone else is too since you're all new students.

Don't take higher level classes in your first two years.
You may end up hating your school, AND YOUR CREDITS WON'T TRANSFER. emot-gonk

its not that bad, and is actually alot of fun.

...This didn't make much sense, but it is nearly 6 in the morning for me. X___x
and yay fishies!! I was almost in marine biology, but I like architecture more.

#3 | Back to Top05-29-2007 07:06:34 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

What Allegoriest said is very true, especially the bit about bad profs.  It's better to take a class that doesn't interest you from a professor that you get along with than a class that excites you from a professor you can't stand.

Eh...watch what you eat, the freshman 15 is real.  And try to get some exercise as well.

What people say about being choosy about your friends is totally true as well.  That was a major contributing factor to me dropping out of college after the first year.

Expect college to be much harder than high school, even if it isn't at first.  It'll sneak up on you.  Never allow yourself to fall behind in your classes, and do the recommended homework even if it isn't collected.

Try to get to know your profs and cultivate relationships with them as early as possible.  Profs are people too, and they'll be more inclined to help you out if they know you.  We hate it when students we barely know to say hello to show up in our offices the week before the final and beg to be retaught the course.

Pay attention during orientation.  Some of that stuff is actually useful, but it's mixed in with the boring, obvious stuff.

Network with your fellow students and try to study with groups whenever possible.  Doesn't work for everyone, but most people benefit a lot from being able to bounce ideas off of others.

Have an open mind with your electives, and take courses outside of your comfort zone.  As a freshman, I wouldn't have been able to imagine half of the things I learned about even existed.

Have fun!  College has been the best part of my life, which is why I've been a student for 12 years now.

"The devil want me as is, but god he want more."
-Truck North
Honorary Hat Mafia Member

#4 | Back to Top05-29-2007 09:10:38 AM

orpheus
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Dagnabbit! I agree with everything Stormy has to say....lol

From a professors point of view, here are some tips to stay on their good side:

1) Never interupt a lecture or discussion with the question, "Will this be on the exam?"
- it makes the prof immediately feel like a day-labourer, and all the joy of the subject matter drains from the lecture

2) The main reason people hate a class is false expectation....if you want to enjoy a class, do not go in with preconceptions...let the prof teach you the way they think you will best learn...you might just discover something you didn't already know

3) Talk to your prof as soon as problems arise....the sooner you get the prof involved, the more likely they are to be able to help you

4) Remember that profs teach because they love the subject matter.....you do not gain any respect from a prof who spent the last twenty years reading Plato when you blurt out in class, "Plato is STOOPID."

5) Most profs do not judge what you think, but rather why you think it. Give good arguments and reasons for your position and you'll do well in Humanities, even if it is something the prof strongly disagrees with.

6) Most of my colleagues have VERY fragile egos. They have spent years engaged in what is considered a very impractical pursuit, and after so much disparagent and criticism they do not appreciate hearing it from students (even if they are right!). Treat your prof like a spoiled child and you'll do fine.

7) When you get a mark you think you do not deserve, go talk to the prof. But DO NOT demand he regrade your paper. In 10 years of teaching, I have yet to see a single re-marking result in a change of grade...it just doesn't work that way. All it does is make the professor mark all future assignements with a fine tooth comb, resulting in much lower marks, much more thoroughly defensible. So, go talk to your prof with this attitude, "I thought I did a lot better, so can you help me improve so I do not make the same errors on the next assignment?"...if you make the visit about learning and improving (future) rather than an evaluation of the profs marking competance (past), your next papers by that profs will likely be given the benefit of the doubt....i.e. you'll do better. (I am not saying this is the way it SHOULD be, just saying that it is generally the way it actually is, and you are attending school in the real world).

8) If you need more time to write a good assignment the BEST thing to do is show up at office hours with the rough or unfinished copy....explain the work you've done so far, pose a conceptual problem (real or made-up) that the prof is competant to help you resolve, and THEN ask if you can have a little more time to work through the problem and write a better essay. If you do it that way you will almost ALWAYS get an extension, and the prof will mark the paper easier (since they take some proprietary joy in their own contribution to your work).

#5 | Back to Top05-29-2007 12:13:46 PM

Rae
Black Rosarian

Wow. Such great advice from everyone. I, too, will be bound to college in the fall so I'll definately check this thread out often.

Stormcrow wrote:

Eh...watch what you eat, the freshman 15 is real.  And try to get some exercise as well.

What is that? emot-confused

#6 | Back to Top05-29-2007 01:51:32 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Rae wrote:

Wow. Such great advice from everyone. I, too, will be bound to college in the fall so I'll definately check this thread out often.

Stormcrow wrote:

What is that? emot-confused

I think it's where you gain 15 pounds from eating the food.

Let me put in my two cents! (Well I guess with the world’s economy being the way it is, and adding to inflation . . .)

*Buahaha*

1) Jobs are a pain the first year, unless you’re crazy, so save like there is no tomorrow! Because there are more things to a class then: fees, books, and tuition. Depending on the class (IE: like an art class.) you could have to buy materials daily.

2) Party, but don’t let the party take you over. That goes for drinking. If it’s at a place with red plastic cups, RUN!!! (It’s not fun unless Grey Goose is there anyways, and not one is foolish enough to serve that in plastic!)

3) Never go over the five class limit, even if they look easy. I did that my first semester: dropped two, did a play for one, failed one, and barely passed my Western Civ. class. Oh the horror of a 1.7 GPA!!!!

*Yeah! I admitted my grade! At least I did a hellah lot better this past semester.*

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#7 | Back to Top05-29-2007 01:53:36 PM

wingedbeastie
Nest Boxer

Stormcrow wrote:

Expect college to be much harder than high school, even if it isn't at first.  It'll sneak up on you.  Never allow yourself to fall behind in your classes, and do the recommended homework even if it isn't collected.

Quoted for fucking TRUTH! I got away with being less than inspired in high school, even ended up in the top 15 of my class.

College, I was not so lucky. After my third semester in college, I lost my scholarship and had to come home:gonk:

DO YOUR FREAKING WORK! NO MATTER WHAT!

Check out my: Twitter|Voice Over Tumblr|

#8 | Back to Top05-29-2007 02:08:08 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I third that! I was very lazy in highschool, but the school work was easy. So I was lazy at first in college, but then the work started to sneak up on me and I was overwhelmed. My GPA rotated from 2.6 one semester, to 3.6 another semester, depending on how lazy I was or how much effort I put into things in the beginning, and how much I studied. Setting up a daily study plan is a very good idea. And don't start on projects/essays the night before! emot-gonk

I also lost my ACT scholarship by being lazy. The first semester, I got a 2.6, below the 3.0 limit for my ACT scholarship. The next semester, I went without the scholarship and got a 3.6. Then I wrote a letter to try and get my scholarship back, since during my first semester I was having bad family problems and I used that as an excuse. Since I got a 3.6, I got it back.

All was fine, but then in my third semester with the scholarship... I got a 2.9. So close to 3.0, but I still lost my scholarship again.

And then this last semester, I got a 3.5

emot-gonk

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (05-29-2007 02:08:51 PM)

#9 | Back to Top05-29-2007 02:51:17 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

+Always try to eat some food, even if you can skim meals and cut corners it'll bite you in the ass, always eat something.
+ If you have Exam Anxiety, figure that out pronto - and try to meet with your professors if there are ways to curb this
+Buy a flash drive. Always SAVE SAVE SAVE everything
+Turn your work in, even if it's crap.
+Don't wait until the last minute to start assignments, you may think pulling an all nighter is good and sometimes the thrill is fun, but hey, no one wants to be a zombie.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#10 | Back to Top05-29-2007 03:07:39 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Oh. If you don't know what you're doing and thus, think the work is unfair, for the love of god, do NOT start whining and complaining in class. One girl I know wasn't even trying and she'd just sit there going WAH all class. The professor is a very nice man, but she made him evil and snappy. (it was a very basic drafting class.... she said she had no reason to learn about drafting emot-gonk )

I've had teachers that get mad at ME for being sick (I had a horrible case of my insides bleeding this last year. Thanks to my shitty doctor, I never got to REALLY find out what was wrong. emot-mad ) One chewed me out in class because I went to the hospital and missed her class. (note: she's EVIL. We're doing out best to not let her back. She never even helped us, just barked orders. emot-mad ) Another was understanding, but I still couldn't get full credit cause I missed several in class assignments. One was fine as long as I got my work done (the aforementioned nice man), another and his wife (both teachers) would feed us and let us come to their work and even took me to the hospital once *happy tears*

One teacher I had taught. Everything. Twice.
we studied it all because she was all THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.
we weren't tested on any of it. nothing.
We all failed. she didn't understand it and got mad at us.
Of course, we caught on to her, and only came to class every other day.
She associated this with ME for some reason since I missed most the begining, got mad at me, and I got mad back, thus killing my chances of a decent grade. Blarg.
I have to retake art history AGAIN emot-gonk

And I gained no such weight my first year.
...This being said my school food is TERRIBLE and I think I ate less.
One fo my friends at UT also seemed to have LOST weight. O__o

Are you living on or off campus?

#11 | Back to Top05-29-2007 04:25:59 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Ah, that reminds me, your profs have little to no control over degree requirements, so complaining to them about having to take their stupid class is a bad idea.

In fact, let's cut to the chase here.  Orpheus is dead right, suck up to your professors as much as you can without being obsequious or seeming insincere.  Everyone likes to be sucked up to, they just don't want to know about it.

-Truck North

#12 | Back to Top05-29-2007 04:35:42 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

+ oh one more thing.....participate in campus activities, sometimes you get free food and free stuff....yay!

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#13 | Back to Top05-29-2007 06:15:13 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I think Orpheus and Stormcrow covered almost everything you need to know about professors. emot-keke  But I have a tiny bit to add.

1. Once you establish some manner of social life, start asking about professors. By the end of freshman year, I knew which ones were more interesting and which ones would eat me alive. However, take it with a grain of salt because some of the people that tell you how hard a professor's class is probably failed it due to basically fucking off.

2. Don't sign up for unnecessary classes just because the professor's good, cool, or interesting. Engineers shouldn't sign up for a Creative Writing class just because the professor happens to like anime...and will let you turn in fanfiction.

3. Know the drop/add dates: last day to drop/add a class without it showing up on your transcript and last day to drop and received a W(withdraw) or NG(no grade).  The last drop/add date is usually within the first week of classes, and the last withdrawal date is usually around mid-semester.

4. Your adviser/counselor/person-in-charge-of-your-academic-destiny is your best friend. You will be told who he/she is at Orientation. Assuming he/she doesn't resign, and you don't change majors, you're stuck with him/her for the duration of your stay. So it'd be a good idea to get friendly, but not to the level of kiss-assery...at least not until your adviser is teaching your class.

5. Know your professors' and your adviser's office hours. Don't show up outside of these times....EVER. Just because your professor doesn't have class from 2:15-3:00, it doesn't mean that they're available for grade-haggling. It also doesn't mean they're in their office.

6. Make nice with at least one classmate in each of your courses. They'll be helpful when it's time to study or if you miss a class. They don't have to be your new best friend, but at least know their name, hometown, and major.

That should cover everything on an academic front.

7. As for the Freshman 15, there's a good explanation for that. No required P.E. classes=no exercise. A good deterrent is signing up for a P.E. class every semester....or developing enough willpower to go to the FREE intramural center on campus. Another popular cause of weight gain during college is the fact that all on-campus food is made of anti-matter and iron filings, thus weighing roughly 1 metric ton per tablespoon....even the lettuce.

There's a whole lot more to cover, like living on-campus(if you do that), joining clubs, starting random conversations with people, and money. Money's important and you'll never have enough of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#14 | Back to Top05-29-2007 06:55:35 PM

Tennyo
Miki Molester

I think that people have done a really good job with suggestions.  My opinion in many things may be a bit different from many, because of the school I go to (I'm at a science/tech school, where in your first two years, you are required to take classes from all of the 6 majors offered.  There's 750 students.  Average graduating GPA is maybe 3.0, after a large chunk of people drop out.  There've been 4 4.0's in the 50 year history of the school.  Basically, it's a hard place, and a lot of people drop out.  Please note, I'm not trying to say that I go to the hardest school ever, and am thus "better" than other people, just pointing out part of why my opinions may in some cases differ quite a bit from others')

The bit about keeping up on work is VITAL.  Absolutely do not fall behind.  If you get sick, go and talk to your professors IMMEDIATELY, to see if you can get extensions and whatnot.  I did not follow my own advice, and so life sucked at the end of this past semester when I got sick, fell behind and then died more because that's when the whole "so exhausted that my body shut down and pretended that I had hypothyroidism" thing really got started, and my grades did in fact suffer due to the fact that I kept it all to myself, and didn't try to get help.

Try to make friends, especially if you're living on campus.  If you're an introvert (like me), you should still try to make some friends and be social, at least some of the time.  But don't be friends with someone if it's just because it's convenient if you don't actually like them.

One thing that I don't agree with:

Raven Nightshade wrote:

2. Don't sign up for unnecessary classes just because the professor's good, cool, or interesting. Engineers shouldn't sign up for a Creative Writing class just because the professor happens to like anime...and will let you turn in fanfiction.

Yeah, if you're already taking a ton of other classes, you probably don't want to, but if there's room in your schedule(and you actually think the class might be interesting, not just that you like the prof), you absolutely should take unnecessary classes.  Don't kill yourself by trying to take way too many classes just because you want to take some outside of your major, but if you let your major completely dictate your choice in classes, you aren't likely going to enjoy yourself as much, and that's important too.

I had other things I thought I was going to say, but I can't seem to get them into words, so I'll end here.

#15 | Back to Top05-29-2007 07:03:55 PM

mercurynin
Flourishing Verderer

Here's a piece of advice that no one has yet mentioned:

If the school you have your eye on has equivalency agreements with a local community college, consider taking care of your prerequisite classes (English, history, social sciences, etc.) at the community college first.  That way, you'll get those nagging classes out of the way, so you can concentrate on your major once you get to your intended school, and it will be much cheaper.

This approach probably won't work if your intended school is out-of-state, though.  Still, that's the approach I took, and I'm so glad I did.  I was fresh out of high school and had merit scholarships and a Pell Grant (oh, those are wonderful!), so I don't owe that school one red cent.  My current school is another story...  emot-gonk

You know our hearts beat time out very slowly.  You know our hearts beat time -- they are waiting for something that'll never arrive.

#16 | Back to Top05-29-2007 07:20:02 PM

angelicreation
The Breast Saviour
Website

Colleges are a veritable schmorgasboard for credit card companies.  You will be offered any and all kinds of credit cards with the pitch of getting your to "start gaining credit".  This is a lie, because credit card companies prey on college students, giving them a chance to go to town with a credit card because "mommy and daddy" will bail them out. 

If you give in, guess what?  Mommy and Daddy aren't going to bail you out (as you are an adult) and you just went and destroyed your credit rating.  This is coming from someone who did exactly that when she was in col,lege.  Remember, each instance of bad credit stays on your report for SEVEN YEARS after you've paid it off.  It's the gift that keeps on giving. 

One credit card for emergencies with a $500 max credit limit is good if you can be responsible enough to keep it strickly for emergencies.   You'll find credit card offers like every weekend on campus, little kiosks set up offering prizes and shit "just for applying".  You might be thinking, oh I can apply, get my cool gift and then just cancel the card when it comes before it's even used.  Do not do this.  Simply applying for cards and then immediately canceling them shows up on your credit report too and it helps your credit into the toilet.

Just remember - plastic bad!

Life is short: break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o202/ninjasin/fate1pu4-1.jpg

#17 | Back to Top05-29-2007 08:13:32 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I've been out of school for a year and a half now -- just right for looking back and saying "this was a good idea, this was not a good idea."  Let's see if I can add anything to the excellent advice that's already been given.

1. No matter how much scary-sounding advice you receive from BB threads, go into college -- hell, go into each day of college -- with the attitude that this is going to be fun, and that you're going to learn about all kinds of awesome shit related and unrelated to class, and that you are going to come out a stronger person.

2. Compared to high school, college is awesome.  At first, you might actually be surprised by how undemanding college is; you'll probably be in class no more than three or four hours a day at most, which is nothing compared to high school.  (I went to a great school, studied hard, had a 3.8+ overall GPA, learned a ton, and averaged maybe two and a half hours of class per weekday.)  But of course, you'll have homework on top of that -- and you still have to get enough sleep and eat healthy and exercise and... but wait.  No one's watching to make sure you do any of those things.  You can skip class, and no one will care!  Freedom at last!  emot-dance

3. Go to class, do your homework, get enough sleep, eat healthy, and exercise.  emot-rolleyes  Seriously, blow off class once in a while when the occasion calls for it, but don't let it become a habit.  Don't blow off class because you feel like sleeping an extra hour, because that is a black hole which has no bottom.  (If the extra hour is that important to you, drop the class instead and sleep in every morning.)  Ditto the other stuff.

4. I don't mean for this to sound insulting, because you said you've already chosen your major, but -- if you decide that your major is not for you, change it.  Probably won't happen to you, since you seem so sure that marine bio is for you, but it happens to premeds and others all the time.  Don't lock yourself in.

5. Challenge yourself, but don't be masochistic.  If you discover halfway through your second year of Japanese that you're not learning and are bombing tests in spite of your hard work, drop the class.  (That was the hardest -- and best -- decision I made about adding/dropping classes in my four years of college.)

6. Your campus probably has a mental health center.  At the very least, it has a couple trained counselors.  Know what mental health options your school has available, and don't hesitate to take advantage of them if you need.

7. Above all, love.  There's an old college truism that you've probably heard a dozen times at this point in your life: "Sleep, study, socialize: pick two."  It's actually not true -- you can pick all three if you don't do any to excess -- but no matter how much sleeping or studying you do, make sure that "socialize" is one of your choices.  That's the part you'll remember most fondly a year and a half later, and probably well after that.

#18 | Back to Top05-29-2007 09:55:50 PM

orpheus
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

Wow...can't believe I forgot this.....SO IMPORTANT, so, although it has been posted already, let me reiterate:
"+Turn your work in, even if it's crap. "

Sounds like a bad idea, but a 40% is mathematically and socially better than a 0.
If you do not hand anything in, and then ask for a chance to do a make-up assignment, there is very little chance.
If you hand in an obviously crappy assignment, and then explain why you screwed up (an honest anecdote is always better than a solid lie....."I really dig this guy, and he asked me out, and it was the first time this semester I have been asked out, and though I knew I needed to get this done, I HAD to go on that date.....can I write another assignment to make up for...I promise it will be off a quality that doesn't wate your time") you have a much better chance of being granted a do-over assignment.

#19 | Back to Top05-30-2007 07:17:23 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

4. Your adviser/counselor/person-in-charge-of-your-academic-destiny is your best friend.

As someone who was never assigned any such thing, I can tell you this is sage advice. emot-mad

mercurynin wrote:

Here's a piece of advice that no one has yet mentioned:

If the school you have your eye on has equivalency agreements with a local community college, consider taking care of your prerequisite classes (English, history, social sciences, etc.) at the community college first.  That way, you'll get those nagging classes out of the way, so you can concentrate on your major once you get to your intended school, and it will be much cheaper.

This is what I did for my nursing degree. It definitely saves you a shitload of money but in my experience at least, community colleges are miserable depressing places. There's no student camaraderie, most of the teachers are full of piss and vinegar because they hate working there, and the 'advisors' know about as much about how to get things done as they do about how to fly the space shuttle. I haven't been to a university so I can't say whether this is a larger problem or just a CC problem, but I frankly learned next to nothing from any of my classes. The more the class should have required critical thinking, the less of it was demanded of us. If you want college to be a mind-expanding experience where you learn and grow and all that fluffy shit, don't go to a community college. They're what you do when you need your degree for cheap and you've already accepted you aren't going to learn balls from any class designed to teach skills and not material. CLEP what you can.

Oof, bitter much? emot-keke I really hated community college. emot-frown

angelicreation wrote:

Just remember - plastic bad!

I used being a student to get a Citibank card with a points program. I've been quite happy with it, but I should add I've never paid a single penny in interest, but have been sent over $100 from points accumulating. emot-keke It's free money if you can control yourself, but then you are what they call a deadbeat customer. Paying off your card in full every month is smart, but it doesn't make the company like you, so watch yourself. They'll be more lenient with lowering your APR/waiving fees if they've made money off you. Don't let them. By the same token, you do need a credit card. And you need to use it. Your credit card rating will haunt you long after your GPA is ancient history.

Or you can ignore everything I said and go with this:

satyreyes wrote:

1. No matter how much scary-sounding advice you receive from BB threads, go into college -- hell, go into each day of college -- with the attitude that this is going to be fun, and that you're going to learn about all kinds of awesome shit related and unrelated to class, and that you are going to come out a stronger person.

I wish I could see it that way. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#20 | Back to Top05-30-2007 09:20:32 AM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Not all community colleges are created equal.  I work at an excellent one.  To be fair, it's rated in the top five in the nation, so I'm sure not all are up to this standard.  Ironically, my experience has been the reverse of Giovanna's.  The CC I attended was an awesome place where I made good friends, and the universities I've been to have been pretty lousy places filled with professors either beat down or arrogant, endless administrative hassles, and banal coursework.  In fact, I have to go back over there this afternoon and settle those morons' hash AGAIN!  They lost my enrollment this time.emot-mad

-Truck North

#21 | Back to Top05-30-2007 04:28:38 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

satyreyes wrote:

COLLEGE IS WAY EASIER THAN HIGHSCHOOL

From what I heard from the Asian exchange students going to Uni over here, while Highschool is hellish, once you made it into college or uni, its so damn easy in comparison, in fact it sometimes is refered to as an early second childhood considering how intense Asian highschools tend to be.

#22 | Back to Top05-30-2007 06:59:13 PM

rhyaniwyn
Myth is my Bitch
Website

I've gone mostly to a community college for ... um, years.  emot-biggrin  And I've enjoyed it.  I've had one or two just generally not-very-good teachers, one or two excessively boring ones, and one or two mean ones.  I've had few complaints and I've been happy with the quality of the education.  Keeping in mind that the focus is more on practice than theory.

Basically all I do is give my professors the respect they're due as intelligent human beings.  I don't ask for special treatment or make excuses.  I've found this allows me to get along well with my teachers, even if I never attend class.

Last edited by rhyaniwyn (05-30-2007 07:00:38 PM)

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o165/absolethe/itrg_signature.jpg

#23 | Back to Top05-30-2007 08:45:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Tamago wrote:

satyreyes wrote:

COLLEGE IS WAY EASIER THAN HIGHSCHOOL

From what I heard from the Asian exchange students going to Uni over here, while Highschool is hellish, once you made it into college or uni, its so damn easy in comparison, in fact it sometimes is refered to as an early second childhood considering how intense Asian highschools tend to be.

I don't know about the rest of Asia, but Japanese colleges are notorious for being all play, like a last meal before the execution.  My brother is currently an exchange student at Sophia University in downtown Tokyo, and he confirms it.  The exchange students, taking English-language classes designed for exchange students only, work much harder than the Japanese students do, and even they don't work that hard.  I think in America it varies with the college.  Where I went, college was actually harder than high school, but I spent a lot less time in class, which made it feel less demanding.

#24 | Back to Top05-30-2007 10:57:53 PM

Stormcrow
Magical Flying Moron
Website

Another advantage of college over high school is that many of the classes have real content.  I taught high school briefly, and you guys who are there right now aren't wrong when you complain that it's bullshit.  Some college classes are bullshit too, but most of them involve actual thought.

-Truck North

#25 | Back to Top05-31-2007 03:20:22 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

And lets not forget that all of the General Studies/Intro to ____ classes are basically the same things you should have learned in high school. For all intents and purposes, your first two English classes will be nothing but essay writing and a 12-second grammar review.

And prepare to take required classes that you don't think have anything to do with your major, because they want you to be a well-rounded student.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

Board footer