This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top04-16-2007 06:29:07 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

Tradegy at Virginia tech

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_ … h_shooting

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history Monday, cutting down his victims in two attacks two hours and a half-mile apart before the university could figure out what was going on and get the warning out to students.

Here's what really galls me about the whole thing: after the first shooting when he killed two people in the dorm they didn't use the P.A. system to warn people of a possible armed gun man still being on campus. They used e-mail, email! They maybe college kids but not everyone checks their e-mail every five minutes! So two hours later he goes into an academic building and adds thirty others to the death roster and injures dozens more!

What's worse of all there's evidence he chained the main doors of the academic building shut.

What in the hell is wrong with this world?

#2 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:26:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Re: Tradegy at Virginia tech

skewed_tartan wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_ … h_shooting

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history Monday, cutting down his victims in two attacks two hours and a half-mile apart before the university could figure out what was going on and get the warning out to students.

Here's what really galls me about the whole thing: after the first shooting when he killed two people in the dorm they didn't use the P.A. system to warn people of a possible armed gun man still being on campus. They used e-mail, email! They maybe college kids but not everyone checks their e-mail every five minutes! So two hours later he goes into an academic building and adds thirty others to the death roster and injures dozens more!

What's worse of all there's evidence he chained the main doors of the academic building shut.

What in the hell is wrong with this world?

Do you know that they had a PA system?  My school didn't.

Beyond that... yeah.  I don't really know how to feel when things like this happen.  I don't know any of the dead, and this incident probably won't change my own personal life in any way.  Emotionally I'm just left at "confused."  Why does a guy decide he's going to shoot several dozen random college students?  Did God tell him to, or did it just sound like a fun thing to do before killing himself?  Sigh.

#3 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:39:49 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

Yeah I don't theink they have a PA system, it is a campus college in Virginia out in the boonies.

Last edited by Sevelle (04-16-2007 07:44:59 PM)

sometimes you make me feel
like I’m living at the edge of the world
"it's just the way I smile"
you said

#4 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:47:49 PM

skewed_tartan
Touga Topper
Website

Students bitterly complained that there were no public-address announcements on campus after the first shots. Many said the first word from the university was an e-mail more than two hours into the rampage — around the time the gunman struck again.

-From the article, sounds like a P.A. system, probably more effective than e-mail anyway.

Last edited by skewed_tartan (04-16-2007 07:49:01 PM)

#5 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:55:08 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

This is why I resent the human race as a species. People I love and cherish individually. As a species, I pray to whichever God or Goddess of Malefic Intent happens to be listening that we annihilate ourselves in a fashion that hopefully doesn't destroy the rest of Old Terra. This is most likely my anger speaking. How can we DO such things, anyhow?!

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#6 | Back to Top04-16-2007 07:57:22 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

I don't know . . .

you said

#7 | Back to Top04-16-2007 08:04:57 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Well, I don't know if I can resent the whole human species for things like this. Animals species kill too. It seems to be everyone's nature to want conflict, I guess, but I still don't understand it.. \:

I heard about this earlier, and things like this continue to sadden me, even if I am not directly affected by it. It's horrible. I was talking to my friend earlier about it, and at first I was surprised and confused about why a person would do something like that. But then he pointed out that people who tend to be picked on too much or raised in families with aggressive behavior might be triggered to do something like that. Which, I forgot about. I study psychology and I knew all of that beforehand, but the event itself shocked me so much that I just could not understand why someone would do that.

But, meh. Things like that put me in a gloomy mood. I can't think of anything good to say about the situation, other than I'm glad the killer was put to a stop. I do wonder about his motives, though.

#8 | Back to Top04-17-2007 12:14:55 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

It's crap like this that makes me paranoid at work.  This morning, I walked into the office and thought, "Now, if a psycho walked in shooting, what would I do?"  And I stared around and realized that if I didn't have time to go out the window, I would probably be dead.

Fortunately, I work in a company that's almost all women, so the people that get fired are mostly women, and therefore far less likely to show up with a gun.

#9 | Back to Top04-17-2007 12:49:58 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

tohubohu wrote:

It's crap like this that makes me paranoid at work.  This morning, I walked into the office and thought, "Now, if a psycho walked in shooting, what would I do?"  And I stared around and realized that if I didn't have time to go out the window, I would probably be dead.

Fortunately, I work in a company that's almost all women, so the people that get fired are mostly women, and therefore far less likely to show up with a gun.

Never assume that. My sister'd come in with a butcher knife, at the very least, if you just ruin her scented candle.
I heard about the Virginia tech shooting just yesterday. Didn't something similar happen before in Colorado like 8-9 years ago?

#10 | Back to Top04-17-2007 12:59:26 PM

BioKraze
Faceless Master

Yeah. Columbine. On April 20th. The very day that Adolf Hitler was born, and the day my parents got married. (I SWEAR THEY DID NOT PLAN IT THAT WAY, HONEST.) That school shooting pisses me off because it totally ruined my mom and dad's anniversary.

Yeah, I get pissed over atrocities for different reasons than most other people.

Roses have thorns to stop those who would dare deny their right to live.
Razara's Postulate: For every lover of lesbians out there, there is an equal and opposite attraction to Dippin' Dots.

#11 | Back to Top04-17-2007 02:14:38 PM

Personal_IceQueen
Covert Diarist
Website

It really is sad, I know our admin. was on edge about the whole thing for fear of a 'copycat', but :sigh: sometimes humanity is depressing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070417/ap_ … ignettes_2

They released the victim's names, and a bit of info about some of them.

"Those shoes are mine betch."

#12 | Back to Top04-17-2007 03:27:26 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

The most depressing thing about reading about the victims is that not one dickhead, prick, asshole or turdbrain got killed. 

Why do the formentioned get to survive why the decent sort end up as swiss cheese? emot-mad

#13 | Back to Top04-17-2007 03:37:59 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

It's just sad all together.

you said

#14 | Back to Top04-17-2007 06:25:48 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm watching this on Olbermann right now, and it's just...wow. What disturbs me is watch. Before this thing is done, his being South Korean is going to be brought into it like it should fucking matter. Watch. It'll distract people from the gross retardation of the school itself to take this long to act.

Also...an English major at...Virginia Tech? emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#15 | Back to Top04-17-2007 07:44:38 PM

Sevelle
Yaoi Pet #2

OK- Sevelle has to say his peace that has been eating him up inside since yesterday (so you all must deal):

There are four people, probably more, that I know who go to the school. One of them is my extremely close friend, who I love till the ends of the earth. When I found out what had happened I called her and she did not call back, and I freaked for two hours. She finally texted me, and I thanked: God, Allah, Buddha, and any other holy being I could think of. But there are still others that I went to school with, seeing everyday for four years, which I do not know if they are even alive.

The whole issue sickens me to no end. I mean, when people say they could have prevented it by listing off these insane details . . . You just cannot fathom being in that situation, or even think that it could happen.

I live in Virginia and I’ve never been to the school, but I know what it is and what it represents. I know where it is . . . It is one of the best schools to go to in the country (this coming from one whose family is deeply rooted in UVA ((IE: Harvard vs. Yale.)))

I guess what I am trying to say is that; no one could have imagined that this could happen. And though the event affects everyone, and everyone has their grips about it . . . yeah I don’t know what I am trying to say. But I’m really sad, sad for the people who died, sad for the guy who did it, but we all must move one as the school will rise again.

End thingy.

you said

#16 | Back to Top04-18-2007 12:35:55 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

There was another bomb threat at my school today. Everyone knew it as soon as the Vice Principle came over the speaker saying, "I have a very, very important announcement to make. All teachers, please check your E-mail." The same thing happened the last time there was a bomb threat a few months ago. The rumor is that someone threatened to use a bomb at noon today, so every building at our school was evicted. They tried to say that it was just a fire drill, but they never evict the entire school for that (just individual buildings) and they would never do it during a lunch period.

I don't understand why people do things like this. Shooting people and threatening to bomb buildings is horrible, and it's even worse that these things go on at schools.

#17 | Back to Top04-18-2007 01:06:49 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

The news reported that the teacher of the German classroom was a Holocaust survivor and he stood in front of the shooting area to protect the others. That's heroic! Gave his life for his students. It's inspirational. What a great man.

Razara wrote:

There was another bomb threat at my school today.

I remember getting out of school for bomb threats, when I was young which was like a full decade ago...and, we the kids, always laughed and enjoyed our day off from school. Actually, day off of school-work... as we didn't actually leave the school, but would be lined up outside, to be counted, and I guess WAIT there for whoever to determine if it were a real threat, or a fake. It was always a prank!

But today, I think that bomb threats must actually scare the students... it's not like "tra-la-la, a day off!" It's more...serious, nerve wracking that it could possibly be true. That is very sad. emot-frown

Giovanna wrote:

an English major at...Virginia Tech? emot-confused

Yeah, I thought the tech signaled all majors revolving around technology too - it's like being a Sociology major at the Rhode Island School of Design! Strange. I wonder if they reported accurately?

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#18 | Back to Top04-18-2007 01:16:00 PM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

Frosty wrote:

The news reported that the teacher of the German classroom was a Holocaust survivor and he stood in front of the shooting area to protect the others. That's heroic! Gave his life for his students. It's inspirational. What a great man.

As a sidepoint, Dr. Liviu Librescu was an engineering prof.  The German instructor, Jamie Bishop, was shot in the head as the shooter came through the door of the classroom -- he apparently didn't get a chance to move or do anything.

#19 | Back to Top04-18-2007 01:21:19 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

Yeah, thanks tohubohu. Liviu Librescu, nice to know a real hero's name. How terrible not to know. Sure, the other guy had no chance - shot in the head, you can't react.

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#20 | Back to Top04-18-2007 02:58:29 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

Frosty wrote:

Giovanna wrote:

an English major at...Virginia Tech? emot-confused

Yeah, I thought the tech signaled all majors revolving around technology too - it's like being a Sociology major at the Rhode Island School of Design! Strange. I wonder if they reported accurately?

There's not much about this situation I can say that hasn't been said, except that there was also a bomb threat at UT-Austin yesterday too. Ugh....idiots.

And yes, there are non-science and non-engineering majors at Tech schools. However, they receive MUCH less money and publicity than Science and Engineering. That's all I'll go into without derailing further.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#21 | Back to Top04-18-2007 04:06:19 PM

Romanticide
Cow Bellhop

Razara wrote:

There was another bomb threat at my school today. Everyone knew it as soon as the Vice Principle came over the speaker saying, "I have a very, very important announcement to make. All teachers, please check your E-mail." The same thing happened the last time there was a bomb threat a few months ago. The rumor is that someone threatened to use a bomb at noon today, so every building at our school was evicted. They tried to say that it was just a fire drill, but they never evict the entire school for that (just individual buildings) and they would never do it during a lunch period.

I don't understand why people do things like this. Shooting people and threatening to bomb buildings is horrible, and it's even worse that these things go on at schools.

By chance your school is in Minesota? If that is the chance it just appeared on the mexican newspapers.

Last edited by Romanticide (04-18-2007 04:06:43 PM)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1390/firmautenaji0.jpg

#22 | Back to Top04-18-2007 10:59:25 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Okay, who the fuck let this guy into any college at all for ENGLISH. He sucks at writing and speaking and sounding remotely like someone who should be in school for English.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#23 | Back to Top04-19-2007 12:22:51 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

One thing that bothers me about this massacre is... I'm neither shocked or outraged. It's the bloodiest shooting by a single gunman in US history, and I'm not surprised by it. What the fuck is the world coming to?

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#24 | Back to Top04-19-2007 12:25:01 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

ShatteredMirror wrote:

One thing that bothers me about this massacre is... I'm neither shocked or outraged. It's the bloodiest shooting by a single gunman in US history, and I'm not surprised by it. What the fuck is the world coming to?

Some perspective, Shattered. The world is a peaceful enough place that the deaths of 33 people are remarked on, when a few hundred years ago, no one would have cared.

The world is not getting worse. It's struggling, but slowly, I think we are gaining ground.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#25 | Back to Top04-19-2007 12:29:27 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Hm, perhaps you're right. I'd certainly like to think that you are.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

Board footer