This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1001 | Back to Top10-17-2016 10:44:46 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Re: Politics

gpink wrote:

Not so strange from my point of view. A lot of autocratic regimes thend to create a cult of personality around persons similar to Donald Trump.

I guess because it seems specifically limited to economics students. Though, I do think there's something to what you say.

Giovanna wrote:

Would you say Trump's 'brand' is consistent with the view Chinese people are given of the US on the whole, though?

I feel like if a person were to be completely racist toward the US, their viewpoint distilled into a human form would basically be Trump.

And, this may be exactly where it's coming from. In terms of money/land/face equations, Trump may come off super-American.

They're often very clear that he'd be a terrible head for China, or for any other nation, he's just perfect for America.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1002 | Back to Top10-20-2016 04:09:56 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Decrescent Daytripper wrote:

They're often very clear that he'd be a terrible head for China, or for any other nation, he's just perfect for America.

Ow. emot-frown

Even up here in Canada, there's this joking sense that Trump is basically concentrated USA USA USA!

I find that incredibly funny given Trump ten years ago was a thing because he was basically Gordon Gekko. The same people that hated that kind of American then are rallied behind him now. emot-confused

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#1003 | Back to Top10-20-2016 04:40:52 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

Giovanna wrote:

I find that incredibly funny given Trump ten years ago was a thing because he was basically Gordon Gekko. The same people that hated that kind of American then are rallied behind him now. emot-confused

Angry people will believe almost anything.

He's not courting happy people.

Whether he gets elected and fails or doesn't get elected and slumps off, he's going to Nixon his way out. In forty years you'll have, "Oh, he was really a sad, nice man with a lot of bluster," and "well, he was on drugs and he didn't know what his right and left hands were doing and they really broke the law not hi..."

Oh, boohoohoo.

They'll sell it.

My Brain is the Wakaba and Shiori Funtime Hour. With limited commercial interruption.

#1004 | Back to Top10-30-2016 08:15:04 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

So there's been a number of analysts, predictors, and general talking heads saying that Trump will probably win. It seems a bit too early to say that, even if voting's eleven days away. Almost everyone has their biases, but I'm surprised that I'm slightly aggravated by this out of all things. Might be partially due to there being even chances for the reports being party-loyalty related, made in desire for link traffic, or at the least founded in some level of "people are dumb".
Any thoughts on that?

Also, I'm guessing a few people are already writing their screenplays related to this election.

#1005 | Back to Top10-30-2016 08:19:04 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

As much as they get people worked up, it's all down to the electoral college and ultimate whatever they want. I can't imagine Trump really getting it, though, short of an active coup.

#1006 | Back to Top10-30-2016 10:12:56 AM

zeedikay
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)

As much as they get people worked up, it's all down to the electoral college and ultimate whatever they want. I can't imagine Trump really getting it, though, short of an active coup.

Whoever goes through, there will be people arguing among themselves about it. That's a constant with the internet these days. It's true that the electoral college's pretty much how the president is decided, but I'm still on the fence about wether or not it'd be a good idea to have a more direct voting process. It's just based on the fact that there might technically be enough computing process to calculate an entire United State's worth of information, but there will be a load of things to take account of before that's a reality. Basically, I'm bracing myself for more of a metaphorical wildfire of political coverage in the coming days.

#1007 | Back to Top11-05-2016 07:58:22 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/201 … -forecast/

OKAY PEOPLE WHAT IS THIS SHIT

FLORIDA WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK, SERIOUSLY

DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE emot-mademot-mad

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#1008 | Back to Top11-05-2016 01:23:16 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

It started going back that direction when the FBI reopened the investigation into her emails and reminded people that Donald Trump is not the only morally sketchy candidate in this election.  Unfortunately, the media does not seem to have an appetite for reminding people that Trump is way, way sketchier, in the absence of new breaking news about more women he abused or something. :-/  It's three days till Election Day, lots of people have already voted, and I think if the Clinton campaign had another surprise up its sleeve they would have deployed it by now; we may have to say goodbye to our hopes of winning states like Arizona and Georgia and Utah and Texas (!) that were on the table for a little while, in favor of making sure we at least win the election. emot-frown

#1009 | Back to Top11-06-2016 02:25:34 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I literally don't care what is in her godforsaken emails. I don't care if she accepted donations from half the civil rights violators in the world. I don't care if she sold national security secrets to Anonymous. If we find out tomorrow that she eats babies, I'll applaud her efforts to moderate population growth.

It's the Frank Underwood Effect.

A total sleazebag career politician thief will protect what's theirs, but the best of them will value a relatively stable place to do their wheeling and dealing in. Trump is a toddler narcissist that is gaining entirely too much traction on the racist, anti-feminist, ridiculous manchild ticket. Hillary has a lot of dirt, and some of it should probably not be acceptable behavior for a president, even by my standards. (Underwood 2016???) But her opponent is Donald Trump. He can't concentrate long enough to read a movie poster and we're expecting him to run a country?

Or is it that we all know very well he won't. It would be Pence doing everything. That's an improvement in the 'bombing people for making jokes about his hands' arena, but wow it'll be a thing watching reproductive rights degrade to the point of needing a man's permission to use a tampon.

I was happier when it looked like Dems might take the senate. At this point it hardly matters what happens. Hillary winning would be the same as us just putting the government on pause for four years, since we're already hearing about how they think it's a good idea to hold the SCOTUS seat open for another four years. Refusing to do your job would get you fired anywhere else in the US.

#1010 | Back to Top11-06-2016 04:36:44 AM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

She's been found guilty of less things and had less damning evidence come to light for anything than Trump has, over their lifetimes or during the campaigns. So, she's either less criminal or she's the far better criminal. She could be just as hateful and dangerous, but she's hiding it very well if she is. I'll vote competence and restraint over incompetence, and everyone else running, unfortunately, is damnably incompetent at least in the area of politics and how they affect things like where bombs get dropped or how medical procedures are vetted.

#1011 | Back to Top11-06-2016 09:47:23 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

I'll vote competence and restraint over incompetence, and everyone else running, unfortunately, is damnably incompetent at least in the area of politics and how they affect things like where bombs get dropped or how medical procedures are vetted.

Oh. My. God.

I've been doing FB posts about the third-party candidates that are on the Louisiana ballot, and I find myself utterly appalled at the level of....I don't wanna say idiocy, but incompetence doesn't quite describe it....naivete?...willful obliviousness?...wanton ignorance?...blase oversimplification? Delusion! Yes, delusion. All I saw whenever I went to a candidate's website was a wishlist of stuff they want, but with zero plan to implement any of it. I mean, Jesus tapdancing Christ, show your work! emot-rolleyes

It makes me feel as if Hillary Clinton, and Gary Johnson to an extent (although stupid things keep falling out of his damn mouth), are the only ones who actually understand how the political process works. You cannot stomp your feet like a spoiled child and demand $15/hour as the new minimum wage or threaten to hold your breath until you get a wall built along the entire Mexican border. There is a process. There is red tape. There are people who have to vote on these things and tack on unnecessary and potentially harmful detritus to the bill while doing so. Maybe you'll get your assault weapons ban, but you're gonna pay for that with having to pass a dumb pet project or twelve as part of the bill package. It's like downloading an app with extremely intrusive ads, but there's no ad-free version available.

So, I'm voting for HIllary because she is literally the best candidate/least delusional person on the ballot. It's not like we haven't had politically inexperienced Presidents before, we've had four of them (Taylor, Grant, Hoover, and Eisenhower), but Hoover was Secretary of Commerce for seven years and the other three all have insane amounts of high-ranking military experience. If a candidate wants to play the "I'm not a Washington insider" card, the rest of their hand better be a royal flush, and I haven't seen that in this election cycle.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#1012 | Back to Top11-08-2016 07:41:40 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

GOD DAMMIT FLORIDA

DON'T YOU FUCKING DO THIS

#1013 | Back to Top11-08-2016 08:15:44 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

This is actually making me sick to watch.

I have my problems will Hillary, but it's staggering to think that this many Americans think not only that Trump's behavior is OKAY, but that it's presidential.

If he wins, America is getting what it deserves. But I feel more and more for Hillary as this goes on. Better or worse, this woman has devoted her life to public service. Imagine what it has to be like to be her, watching these screens...again...and realizing what America thinks of all that effort.

It's like when I spend all night busting my ass, using all my skill and expertise, trying to help a patient, and they decide they fucking hate me because I miss an IV. Dialed up to like a billion across an entire life. Fuck.

#1014 | Back to Top11-08-2016 08:34:39 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

I have been drinking some sake.

#1015 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:13:45 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I feel entirely helpless to change things any further, from her. And, that actually helps. I can ignore it guilt-free, as much as I like, until things are settled.

#1016 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:16:55 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

Someone please tell me I'm looking at the polling so far incorrectly... are we really going to have Donald Trump as president, with a republican house and senate?

#1017 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:20:48 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

Someone please tell me I'm looking at the polling so far incorrectly... are we really going to have Donald Trump as president, with a republican house and senate?

I think...I think you are. I am literally speechless now, or not quite, as I can still type but barely. I hope against hope that it won't come to that but I can't see how it can be otherwise and few times have I ever wanted to be proven wrong as I do know. All I can say is...my heartfelt condolences if the worst comes to pass.

#1018 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:25:12 PM

MissMocha
Bettie Page Princess

I feel so sick and helpless right now.

The first time you looked at her curves you were hooked
And the glances you took, took hold of you and demanded that you stay
And sunk in their teeth, bit your heart and released
Such a charge that you need another touch, another taste, another fix

#1019 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:28:51 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I just spent a couple of minutes silently weeping as I stare at the map of the USA becoming redder and redder.

Last edited by Nocturnalux (11-08-2016 09:29:04 PM)

#1020 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:41:41 PM

yusaku
String Theorist

MissMocha wrote:

I feel so sick and helpless right now.

I am literally crying now. I am shocked that Hillary did not win by a landslide. A Trump win is likely!?!

***The world is one large Rose Academy!!!***

#1021 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:48:57 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

I am actually afraid of checking out politico or any news source, at all. The last time I did check, a Trump win was borderline unavoidable and that is...such a horror show.

#1022 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:50:56 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

The big map they'll wash with red and blue is always misleading, because not all regions have the same voting power where it actually matters in this.

That said, fucking hell how is this so close? He's a big rapey rotting pumpkin of hate.

To quote Bobby Jones, "Folks underestimated the number of racists, misogynists, ableists, rapists, and rape apologists eligible to vote in America."

Apparently, folks is me.

#1023 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:52:28 PM

OnlyInThisLight
KING OF ALL DUCKS

I'm not going to be able to sleep.  I have to take something.

#1024 | Back to Top11-08-2016 09:54:28 PM

Nocturnalux
Qualified Duellist

OnlyInThisLight wrote:

I'm not going to be able to sleep.  I have to take something.

It's pushing on five am in my neck of the woods and I have forsaken sleep entirely.

DD, I hope you are right because that red, red, RED map is haunting me. This is like a horrible, horrible nightmare.

#1025 | Back to Top11-08-2016 10:01:40 PM

Decrescent Daytripper
Best Disney Princess

I'm very cool, very chill. I'm going to show my class Pee-Wee's Playhouse to keep chill.

But, when I come back to the States, I'm going to find everyone I know who voted third party this year and kick them somewhere painful when they least expect it.

Board footer