This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#1 | Back to Top10-19-2006 07:47:15 AM

Tenjou_sailorsaturn
Someday Shiner
Website

Which character would you prefer to appear on your desktop wallpaper?

I'd like to make a Juri & Luka wallpaper. To see both of them, in rain, mourning for their love in vain, certainly can express more than purely the pics.

Besides, I like Juri's curly hair. It's really hard for her to maintain the curls. I'd like to get better shots of her.

Down inside me, I am thinking that if I can see her pic everyday, I can be more like her--capable of many things, sensible. THat's the main reason why I prefer her to be on my wallpaper instead of Utena, even though Utena IS my favourite character.

生命是奇蹟,但是為什麼生活是痛苦的?

#2 | Back to Top10-19-2006 07:53:32 AM

Maarika
Someday Shiner
Website

Re: Which character would you prefer to appear on your desktop wallpaper?

For some reason, I haven't really found a SKU wallpaper that I'd actually use since my sister always changes the wallpaper if she doesn't like it. I know for a fact that she doesn't like anime.
But if I had my own computer, then there would be Himemiya. etc-love And Utena or Akio.

The Saionji Support Squad:
Believing in True Friendship Since 2008.

#3 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:04:54 AM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

I like to change my wallpaper every five months or so, and usually they're Utena related. In fact, I like using ones I find on Empty Movement! I'm fond of having Juri on my desktop, also Utena because people claim that I have resemblence to her (yeah if I were 70 pounds lighter and an anime character emot-rolleyes), but right now I've got that great "Kill Chuchu" wallpaper up. You can find in on EM!

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

#4 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:17:55 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

The vector trace part of the site is devoted in no small part to a thirst for high quality SKU images to plaster on my desktop. I use a resolution much larger than what our donators use, so I'm kinda on my own. emot-frown

Most of the wallpapers I would choose involve Akio looking like sex, unfortunately my desktop is viewed by people who wouldn't cut me a break about it, so I tend to use more innocuous characters. Like etc-love Saionji etc-love. I'm putting the finishing touches on a trace of him and Touga from the video game that I produced at 10000 pixels wide. emot-aaa

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#5 | Back to Top10-19-2006 10:40:19 AM

Sephigirl
Wakaba Wrangler
Website

I tend to keep this one - which is too bad it's so small to be a avatar image, but damn - it's sexy AND romantic. 

At work, I change it almost weekly - from other anime, then it's a toss up, using either Akio, Touga or Mikage - mostly Touga though - He poses and smirks so well.

Tho' my guys at work - claimed Touga was a girl!  poor Touga...   I had up an image of him from the movie, with all that glorious hair . . . 

Side note - at my work space at home - I tend to keep this Akio-Utena one on my desktop, but literally right behind my monitor, on the wall is the mostly-naked Tarot Akio pic.  He inspires me . . .

Only the broody ones need apply.

#6 | Back to Top10-19-2006 11:05:25 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance Touga emot-dance

I did a vector trace that I haven't fixed up enough for the site yet, Touga looking to the side on a plain black background. No text, no swirlies, no nothing.

Actually, my last four wallpapers have been Touga.

I sound like I'm obsessed emot-frown

It doesn't come up very often in real life, I promise emot-frown

On my laptop, I have the Utena Manwich, as my brother calls it. I was making it into a wallpaper but never finished. At work, I have a great big flaming orange eyeball (not Sauron). It's pretty awesome emot-dance

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#7 | Back to Top10-19-2006 12:43:48 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

For a while, I was changing my desktop every other day, since I wasn't sure what to keep it as. For a while, it was a picture of Shiori offering Juri the orange rose, but it didn't have very good quality.

Now my desktop is one that I found off of this website, which has Juri and Shiori on it. (I was so happy to finally see a desktop where Shiori has clothes on. None of the others do.) Except, well, I may have edited out the french and quoted Yasha's comment... (To whoever made it, I'm sorry for editing your work.)

As of lately, I refuse to put anything on my desktop that doesn't have Shiori on it, so I'd like to make a Shiori desktop myself once I take the time to learn how to use photoshop. I already have it planned out, for the most part. But for now, I love my current desktop. XD;

#8 | Back to Top10-19-2006 12:48:59 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Razara wrote:

Except, well, I may have edited out the french and quoted Yasha's comment... (To whoever made it, I'm sorry for editing your work.)

That's so flattering emot-redface

I'm sure a bunch of people here can give you pointers on how to use photoshop if you want them. I see a lot of good wallpapers and a lot of rather unfortunate ones, and I know a fair bit about photoshop, so if you want, you can ask for tips when you start it. Gio's better with photoshop than I am, though.

Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#9 | Back to Top10-19-2006 01:05:10 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Razara wrote:

As of lately, I refuse to put anything on my desktop that doesn't have Shiori on it, so I'd like to make a Shiori desktop myself once I take the time to learn how to use photoshop.

Like Yasha said, we'd both be happy to answer Photoshop questions. If anyone else is interested, by all means someone start up a thread in General Discussion. Yasha flatters me, the only difference is I've got years of Photoshopping on her. She learned embarrassingly fast compared to how long it took me. emot-redface

The nice thing about knowing how to use Photoshop is you can be obscenely greedy about what you look at. emot-biggrin If I want Akio and Saionji in constant rotation on my desktop for all eternity, well by god I'll have it!

And now, despite my outdated computer's whining, I'm producing print-quality vector traces. So, so fun.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#10 | Back to Top10-19-2006 01:26:58 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Giovanna wrote:

Like Yasha said, we'd both be happy to answer Photoshop questions. If anyone else is interested, by all means someone start up a thread in General Discussion. Yasha flatters me, the only difference is I've got years of Photoshopping on her. She learned embarrassingly fast compared to how long it took me. emot-redface

The nice thing about knowing how to use Photoshop is you can be obscenely greedy about what you look at. emot-biggrin If I want Akio and Saionji in constant rotation on my desktop for all eternity, well by god I'll have it!

And now, despite my outdated computer's whining, I'm producing print-quality vector traces. So, so fun.

I really should learn how to learn Photoshop. I spend a lot of a time redesigning the clothes from Utena so that I can make 'sims' of every character on a game called The Sims 2. Unfortunately, I can only use MS Paint, and so most of the projects take 5-8 hours on average. Coloring things one pixel at a time is enough to make me go insane. emot-gonk

#11 | Back to Top10-19-2006 01:48:10 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

I suck at making wallpapers myself, but I did have for rather a long time on my desktop this one I made of movie!Anthy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/ … sarah2.jpg

And back in the day, I used to rotate a lot between the high quality images from Empty Movement -- mostly it was the shifty ones that always earned raised eyebrows from my mother (but then the only episode of the show she ever watched with me was Cowbell of Happiness, so she knew better than to ask questions by then). My personal favourite was that picture of baby!Utena held between the series-age Touga and Saionji, but then anything remotely shifty involving Mikage always floated my boat, too... [cough http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/misc/DVDVolume05.jpg cough]

Last edited by Clarice (10-19-2006 01:49:08 PM)

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#12 | Back to Top10-19-2006 01:53:28 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Clarice wrote:

My personal favourite was that picture of baby!Utena held between the series-age Touga and Saionji

Wait wait. emot-aaa

I've never thought it was a baby-Utena....

Have I been lying to myself all these years or did that picture get really perverse just now. emot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaa

#13 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:00:25 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

Clarice wrote:

My personal favourite was that picture of baby!Utena held between the series-age Touga and Saionji

Wait wait. emot-aaa

I've never thought it was a baby-Utena....

Have I been lying to myself all these years or did that picture get really perverse just now. emot-aaaemot-aaaemot-aaa

[snickers] I mean "baby" in that it was the Utena they found in the coffin when they were all children -- which is why I love that picture, because it represents how Utena herself was one of the major wedges first driven between them, and why their friendship is in the sorry state it is in by the start of the series. But they're still copping a feel from one another, and hey, I'm easy as hell. Hot guys copping a feel even with a legal minor between them? Christ, this show would warp the pope himself.

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#14 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:02:56 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Clarice wrote:

baby!Utena held between the series-age Touga and Saionji

emot-aaa

YOU'RE KIDDING

I thought she was just dressed in her school outfit and I will firmly maintain this until the end of time because that's just WRONG!

Edit: Don't scare me like that, christ.

Last edited by Yasha (10-19-2006 02:03:35 PM)

#15 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:09:38 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Yasha wrote:

Clarice wrote:

baby!Utena held between the series-age Touga and Saionji

emot-aaa

YOU'RE KIDDING

I thought she was just dressed in her school outfit and I will firmly maintain this until the end of time because that's just WRONG!

Edit: Don't scare me like that, christ.

Seriously, I'm not kidding. Look at it! http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/maison/Group09.jpg ^____^

And I won't scare you anymore because damn it, this series does it all on its own anyway. Mwahahahaha.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#16 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:12:49 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I will continue to firmly maintain that she is series age. Besides, she isn't drawn differently in any way that matters. emot-biggrin

Still... that's fucked up royal.

#17 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:14:37 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

HOLY CHRIST IN HEAVEN I NEVER EVEN NOTICED THAT

Oh god oh god emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

You have completely blown my mind into little itty bits.

Now I really want that poster. Am I naughty? emot-frown (Although you're right, it makes the symbolism much more obvious. Also, anyone else noticing their hair makes a heart?)

#18 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:15:18 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Yasha wrote:

I will continue to firmly maintain that she is series age. Besides, she isn't drawn differently in any way that matters. emot-biggrin

Still... that's fucked up royal.

What's fucked up royal is that I really liked this picture (http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/maison/UtenaAnthy12.jpg) until it occured to me that Chuchu's mouth had to be shaped like that for a REASON, and it was likely as not a reason for Akio's own good. (Like he doesn't have ENOUGH willing holes as it is, for Christ's sake...)

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#19 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:17:20 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Oh just accept it Yasha. Let's not bother with degrees of fucked up and what's acceptable. This is SKU.

#20 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:17:48 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

Giovanna wrote:

HOLY CHRIST IN HEAVEN I NEVER EVEN NOTICED THAT

Oh god oh god emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk emot-gonk

You have completely blown my mind into little itty bits.

Now I really want that poster. Am I naughty? emot-frown (Although you're right, it makes the symbolism much more obvious. Also, anyone else noticing their hair makes a heart?)

...hey you're right, they make a heart! ...I never noticed that, as I was always too busy staring at it thinking "Christ in heaven, two guys with their hips THAT close together can NOT be platonic, right? RIGHT?! GIMME MY SMUT, GODDAMN YOU!!!"

My mind gets blown every time I was this show. I think Akio would be proud that he can blow anyone, anytime, really.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#21 | Back to Top10-19-2006 02:31:19 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

Clarice wrote:

What's fucked up royal is that I really liked this picture (http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/maison/UtenaAnthy12.jpg) until it occured to me that Chuchu's mouth had to be shaped like that for a REASON, and it was likely as not a reason for Akio's own good. (Like he doesn't have ENOUGH willing holes as it is, for Christ's sake...)

I always figured it was a plushie or something. Which really brings that comment on the shrine, I dunno if it's still there, about the bunny suit to mind...

Anyway, I adore both of those images, but I've never managed to think up a good wallpaper concept for them. Mostly I end up using screenshots or pictures that closely match screenshots. It just seems less... overused, I guess.

#22 | Back to Top10-19-2006 05:56:29 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

I've got quite a lot of experience with photoshop too, so I'd be willing to help as well. emot-keke That reminds me, I should try making some Utena wallpapers to contribute to Empty Movement...since graphics are pretty much the only thing I CAN contribute. (I suck at art, I suck at fanfic, and to write an essay I would have to kick myself a LOT and do lots and lots of refining because like I said, I suck at writing. But graphics, I can do.)

Clarice wrote:

Seriously, I'm not kidding. Look at it! http://www.ohtori.nu/gallery/maison/Group09.jpg ^____^

And I won't scare you anymore because damn it, this series does it all on its own anyway. Mwahahahaha.

It took me a while to notice that it was kid Utena too. Which made me go "..." a little at first, until I heard someone's idea (Might it have been you? It was when I just got into the series and I was looking back at roselinedcoffin entries) about what it represents about their friendship.

But on topic, I would love to use lovely lesbianic or friendship wallpapers of Utena and Anthy, but like I said in the other topic, I would get a lot of stares for that. I don't use anime wallpapers as it is unless it's in the summer, because I stay in a dorm room and my roommate and her friends see my computer, as does my mom sometimes.. so.. yeah. Not many people have heard of anime here. D: Plus girl on girl action would be a no-no. It's Mississippi. emot-frown

Maybe some shadow dueling scene wallpapers would be acceptable..

Last edited by SleepDebtFairy (10-19-2006 05:58:04 PM)

#23 | Back to Top10-19-2006 07:08:52 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose SKU fangirlism is cruely suppressed by having to avoid wallpapers that have naked kissing women and guys with their shirts open and oversexed grins on their faces.

The artwork done for SKU is a lot raunchier even than the series was, and it tends to insinuate relationships that didn't happen (those pics of Juri and Miki). But so pretty. And so naughty. (Touga get your hand off your sister's pubis! emot-aaa)

#24 | Back to Top10-19-2006 08:56:26 PM

Suncat
Touga Topper
Website

It's a long time since I've bothered with wallpaper for either my home machine or my work machine. I always have my apps open at full size, so I never see the background anyway.

I did make a wallpaper once that featured Mikage and Saionji. And I did give in at work and applied a bunch of my larger digital pieces to the screensaver, which randomly displays the pictures. That batch includes some of my Utena fanart.

Laurie

#25 | Back to Top10-19-2006 09:00:58 PM

azuresquirrel
Touga Topper
Website

Giovanna wrote:

The artwork done for SKU is a lot raunchier even than the series was, and it tends to insinuate relationships that didn't happen (those pics of Juri and Miki). But so pretty. And so naughty. (Touga get your hand off your sister's pubis! emot-aaa)

Good Lord yes. I remember bringing the DVDs to school to lend to a friend. Another friend took one look at the art, applied what she knew of anime and asked why I was watching lesbian porn with threesomes. I tried to explain the symbolism, but it didn't quite work. So now Utena is forever "the Lesbian Porn Show" in my circle. etc-wankgirl

Me on gender identity: "I have more gender issues than an anime character."

Board footer