This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top10-04-2010 03:37:45 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Re: Clusterf**k to the Congress: 2010

satyreyes wrote:

Other things I think should be legal: nonviolent Neo-Nazi marches through Jewish communities; KKK rallies that don't involve stringing anyone up; burning the flag, or the Bible, or the Koran, in a protest; depicting and satirizing the prophet Mohammed just to piss off Muslims; rallying in front of a courthouse with signs that say GOD HATES FAGS; rallying in front of the Church of Scientology with signs that say SCIENTOLOGY KILLS; and on and on.  Speech should not be banned merely because it's insensitive.

I agree completely, but I would add further that while one should have the right to be an insensitive bigoted shit...I'd like to see more done to teach people why being like that is maybe not a great thing. The government shouldn't be allowed to say I DON'T LIKE THE CUT OF YOUR JIB and shut you up, but I do think you should have been taught in school and in social upbringing that sensitivity to the people around you, and a pointed effort to avoid pointless behavior likely to incite violence, is a virtue.

I have a thought I want to get across here but frankly I'm failing to nail it down and I keep sounding in my head like WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??? It's a distressing sign to me that almost every time freedom of speech comes up, it's because someone wants to be racist, sexist, or some other -ist where frankly there is no rational argument for feeling that way and decent reasonable people would universally disagree with whatever X jackass is saying. Freedom of speech allows me to walk up to any random black person and call them a fucking nigger. Decency and the realization that there is nothing in their genetic code or mine that justifies a feeling of superiority prevents me from doing so. I guess what I'm saying is, while I'm glad we have freedom of speech, I'm disappointed in our country that we use it so frequently to further causes that shouldn't exist, and perpetuate divisions among people that are completely unnecessary. I feel sometimes like we focus a little too much on the freedom to say whatever we like, and not enough on the responsibility that should be implied in that capacity.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#27 | Back to Top10-04-2010 03:41:18 PM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

I was trying not to go there, and then you went there. Derailing, bitch! emot-mad

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

#28 | Back to Top10-04-2010 03:55:27 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Sorry! But freedom of speech IS on topic in one big regard: CAMPAIGN ADS. Nothing blurs the line so gloriously between freedom of speech and gross slander. That said lately they seem to be going for HORRIBLY STUPID instead.

Mike Weinstein INDEED. emot-gonk

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#29 | Back to Top10-04-2010 04:57:48 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Gio, that's true; I guess I do tend to focus on the freedom rather than the responsibility.  That's probably because talking about responsibility has a certain subtext: we learn when we're children that if you can't handle a responsibility (of brushing your own teeth, of going to school by yourself, or whatever), then you lose the corresponding freedom.  A lot of people see freedom of speech the same way -- you lose it if you prove you can't use it responsibly -- and they're the ones who become censorious and sanctimonious.  I don't think freedom of speech should work that way.  But of course you're right that freedom does carry responsibility, and "it's a free country" -- while it's a great legal defense -- should never be an acceptable social defense for being gratuitously offensive/asstarded.

Yay for decriminalized prostitution!  The right to patronize or become a prostitute: yet another right that I never intend to use but think on principle that I should have.  emot-smile  That's a dead issue in America.  I can't see more than a few states even considering such a thing in the next decade.

#30 | Back to Top10-14-2010 12:45:11 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Florida update!

The senators' race, which I wrote that lengthy post on, might as well be over.  All the polls show Republican candidate Marco Rubio with a large and growing lead, on the order of 44% to independent Charlie Crist's 31% and Democrat Kendrick Meek's 22%.  There aren't really enough undecided voters to change the race at this point, so the next senator from Florida will be a certifiable Tea Partier.  I mailed in my absentee ballot the other day and ended up voting for Alexander Snitker, the Libertarian candidate, who probably won't get more than 1% of the vote but seems less crazy than Rubio, less expedient than Crist, and more independent-minded than Meek.  At least I found a candidate I could vote for!

Meanwhile, the governor's race, which Democrat Alex Sink used to be slightly favored in, has moved into a statistical tie between her and her Republican opponent Rick Scott.  I can't for the life of me understand why half of Florida is planning to vote for Rick Scott, given the legitimate complaints about corruption I raised earlier, but I guess people get the government they deserve.  I voted nevertheless for independent candidate Michael Arth, because if everyone would make voting decisions based on their first choice rather than based on R-vs.-D political calculus, maybe we would see some real diversity of opinion in government!

One more tight race in Florida.  Our eighth Congressional district is the one Gio was asking about earlier, where Democratic incumbent firebrand Alan Grayson is battling it out with state politician Daniel Webster.  Grayson recently released a well-publicized campaign ad that shows Webster, speaking to a deep-Christian audience, talking about how his wife "should submit to me -- that's in the Bible."  Problem is, in the full context of his speech, Webster was making a point about how not everything in the Bible is equally worth our attention.  The ad was a bald-faced lie on Grayson's part, and if you ask me, if he loses he'll deserve it.  And he may well lose, since the most recent poll (in late September; House races don't get polled much) showed Webster up 43-36.  I don't get to vote in this one -- my home Congressional district isn't a competitive race -- but I'll be watching to see whether Grayson, who is a histrionic exaggerator but an interesting and progressive one, goes under to Webster, who seems like a hardcore religious-right politician who is otherwise respectable.

#31 | Back to Top10-14-2010 05:35:16 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Both political parties had booths at the Deersfield fair this year. The democrats gave me candy because I said I would vote for them.

With a tactic like that, it's a wonder they're getting their asses kicked. emot-frown

#32 | Back to Top10-14-2010 06:11:47 PM

SexingTouga24/7/365
is on a BOAT!

Giovanna wrote:

I feel the same way though. Why DO I vote? You know, I dunno. Because I feel like I earn whining rights that way. Wouldn't a 'fuck off these all suck' option on the ballot be interesting though? If you don't win a majority over 'none of the above', you don't get the office.

There'd be no government. emot-frown

This is so true and I could not vote in my area's Elections because I am a registered independent; so according to the rules I can only vote for primary elections.
So, I totally vote for the whining rights! 

I DON'T LIKE THE CUT OF YOUR JIB

emot-rofl emot-dance

Last edited by SexingTouga24/7/365 (10-14-2010 06:15:43 PM)

"If all the world is a stage and all the people players"...then I demand a less shitty part or the ability to get off of the stage. Slowly my sanity slides, slipping, swirling, spiraling...Save Me I need Sleep...Shattering Soon. school-devil "RukaxTouga equals the Fourth of July" MY patriotic celebration...FUCK ME TOUGA AND RUKA NOW!! etc-wankgirl etc-wankdude

#33 | Back to Top11-02-2010 03:56:31 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Well, it's Election Day, and some polls will start closing in... uh... five minutes!  I've got a lot of schoolwork to deal with tonight, but I'll be checking in here every once in a while this evening to look at what's happening across the country.  Republicans will meet expectations if they pick up about 55 House seats (winning the House of Representatives), eight Senate seats (just failing to win the Senate), and miscellaneous governorships.  They might very well exceed or fall short of those benchmarks, though, and I'll try to keep you posted on the more contested races as results come in!

#34 | Back to Top11-02-2010 04:46:08 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Did my part.  Most important locally is the proposed constitutional amendment to cap property taxes.  As a librarian who lost a job due to the caps already, I think that perhaps it's not necessary to make them part of the constitution.  Just seems a wee bit extreme, given that they're already law.

#35 | Back to Top11-02-2010 05:31:13 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Kentucky closed its polls at 6:00 and 7:00, and it's experiencing pretty fast counting; a fifth of the vote is already in.  The New York Times has already called the Senate race for Tea Party Republican Rand Paul, who was the heavy favorite to win.  (The Indiana Senate race remains uncalled, but everyone pretty much knows that Republican Dan Coats is going to win there too.)  Of the fifteen House districts in Indiana and Kentucky, seven have been called, all for Republicans; none of these results is surprising either.  We're still waiting on the first close race of the night to be called emot-smile  But Republicans are leading right now in a couple of tight races that the Democrats really want to win, like the Indiana 8th and 9th, while the Democrats are staving off their opponents in a couple races where they were slightly favored, like the Kentucky 3rd and 6th.

Stay tuned!

Edit: The Times called Indiana for Dan Coats while I was typing.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-02-2010 05:33:29 PM)

#36 | Back to Top11-02-2010 05:44:05 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Didn't you guys just voted in Obama two years ago?? I thought they had four year terms, not just two.

#37 | Back to Top11-02-2010 06:06:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Tamago wrote:

Didn't you guys just voted in Obama two years ago?? I thought they had four year terms, not just two.

Yup!  This is our less-exciting midterm election, where we vote for our lawmakers in the Senate and House of Representatives.  Obama still has at least until 2012.  emot-smile  Still, this election is important in that it's likely Republicans will make a lot of gains.  This will make Obama's life difficult, and tonight we get to find out how difficult!

A couple interesting results are in.  Democrat John Yarmuth has retained the House seat in Kentucky's 3rd District; if the Republicans were going to have a really monumental night where they won a hundred seats, they probably would have won Yarmuth's.  On the other hand, Florida's Senate race -- which was expected to go to Tea Partier Marco Rubio -- has already been called for him just a couple minutes after the last polling places closed in the state, so that's a good sign for Republicans.  My home Congressional district is among the first to be called -- for Republican Connie Mack, as expected.  He's okay.  I voted for him, even; no one better was running, and he's represented us pretty well for a long time.  But I'm sad that Marco Rubio will be one of my senators.

#38 | Back to Top11-02-2010 06:15:01 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

On that note, I just got the news that:

New Hampshire: Gov John Lynch
Delaware: John Carney
Alabama: Richard Shelby
Maryland: Barbara Mikulski

I wonder about TX... meanwhile, I heard Christine O'Donnell didn't make it in her race.

Last edited by Hiraku (11-02-2010 06:15:28 PM)

#39 | Back to Top11-02-2010 06:22:35 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Mmm hmm, Hiraku, those are all likely results -- no real tight races there.  Alabama and Maryland have barely started counting their votes, though, so we don't know the outcomes yet!  Delaware, where famous Tea Party witch Christine O'Donnell is running, hasn't counted a single vote yet, but the Times has already called it for her Democratic opponent Christopher Coons (as expected).  Seems early to me, but I guess that's why I don't work for the New York Times?

The Indiana 7th has been called for the Democrat, who was favored -- another sign that the sky isn't falling for the Democrats.  But the Republicans are ahead in an uncomfortable number of not-yet-called races where the Democrat was supposed to be able to win, or at least put up a good fight.

#40 | Back to Top11-02-2010 06:32:42 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Ahh... so they're only "likely". Mm... part of me hoped that Tea Partiers won't make it up there, but I guess that's unavoidable.
On that note, I believe Sheila Jackson Lee is elected House, District 18, TX. Maybe TX is a little bit less conservative than they were before?

#41 | Back to Top11-02-2010 06:38:25 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Hiraku wrote:

On that note, I believe Sheila Jackson Lee is elected House, District 18, TX. Maybe TX is a little bit less conservative than they were before?

That's a nice thought, and some people have wondered whether Texas will turn blue someday.  Lee's victory doesn't show Texas "blueing," though, since she's an incumbent!  The city of Houston has sent her to Congress every two years since 1994, and it looks like they're going to do it again this year.  The districts to watch in Texas are the 23rd out in the Southwest, which was a dead heat in the polls, and the 27th around Corpus Christi, where the Democrat is favored to hang on by a couple points but is getting clobbered in early voting.

Meanwhile, the Republican Larry Bucshon has won the Indiana 8th District, representing Evansville and most of the west side of the state.  This is a pickup for Republicans, as the seat had previously been held by a retiring Democrat.  The Republicans have also picked up Florida's 24th District, where Republican Sandy Adams defeated an incumbent Democrat.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-02-2010 06:47:22 PM)

#42 | Back to Top11-02-2010 06:59:14 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Florida 8 -- home of Alan Grayson, the contentious Democratic representative we discussed earlier in this thread -- has been called for his opponent Daniel Webster.  Grayson was supposed to lose by about nine points, but with two-thirds of the vote counted, it looks more like eighteen.  Republicans favored elsewhere are also winning by wider than expected margins -- some, much wider.  It's going to be a couple hours before we know how things have shaken out (and I need to go work on a paper), but I would guess that things are going to go even better for Republicans than most analysts thought going into the night.  On the bright side for Democrats, it looks like West Virginia will re-elect its Democratic senator, which almost certainly means that the Dems will hang onto a slim Senate majority.

Last edited by satyreyes (11-02-2010 07:00:04 PM)

#43 | Back to Top11-02-2010 07:16:09 PM

Mylene
Fighting Evil By Moonlight

Sadly, Indiana's going to be sending in Coats. Gag me with a lobbyist.  At least our other senator rocks.  I etc-love Lugar.

#44 | Back to Top11-02-2010 07:32:34 PM

Imaginary Bad Bug
Revolutionary
Website

Blumenthal knocked down WWE mogul McMahon to keep that senate seat in the Democrats' hands. Huzzah! emot-dance

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HERdW38xV_c/S5xZ2QVrIwI/AAAAAAAAApg/uNpckSbLgUw/s800/utenaban.jpg

#45 | Back to Top11-02-2010 08:41:51 PM

chrisb
Eternal Eschatologist

Maybe some good will come of this. If Republicans do as badly as they did earlier this decade, we will see the momentum going back towards Democrats and we'll have an Obama re-election.

I'm very disappointed with the results but I can only hope and pray that both parties will work together now that it's all pretty much even. I just want what's good for the American people who are hurting in this economy.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/clow987/Christmas2011SSSigGift.png

#46 | Back to Top11-02-2010 08:46:49 PM

Hiraku
Easter Elf #40
Website

Got this from NPR, GOP will need to take 7 seats in order to gain control over the Senate. In other news, Obama disapproved by Floridians? http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics … &sc=tw
D: But, but... Mr. President promoted Science Fair... and invited Bill Nye and the Myth Buster hosts to the White House! No president in the history of America has done that! D:

#47 | Back to Top11-02-2010 09:17:18 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

chrisb wrote:

Maybe some good will come of this. If Republicans do as badly as they did earlier this decade, we will see the momentum going back towards Democrats and we'll have an Obama re-election.

I'm very disappointed with the results but I can only hope and pray that both parties will work together now that it's all pretty much even. I just want what's good for the American people who are hurting in this economy.

This is close to where I am, too, whether or not Obama is reelected.  The last two years have seen what has probably been the worst partisanship of my lifetime.  Yes, this is partly because Republicans have stonewalled and voted No on everything in order to make Democrats and Obama look ineffectual, but it's also partly because Democrats have been pushing so hard on highly partisan issues like health care, financial reform, and spending.  Obama ran as a moderate liberal interested in bipartisanship and looking for common ground, but instead he's taken advantage of his Congressional majorities to push major and controversial Democratic Party planks into law.  This probably shouldn't be too surprising, and if you're a political liberal you're probably pleased about these last two years, but a lot of folks take issue with his party's priorities -- hence his approval ratings in the low forties, and hence the blowback we're seeing tonight.

I hope -- and I think it's realistic to hope -- that with a solid majority of the House of Representatives held by Republicans, and with the Democrats vulnerable to filibusters in the Senate, 2011 and 2012 will be more moderate, more sane years than the last two have been.  When the Republicans swept into power in 1994, Bill Clinton turned moderate; he moved on consensus priorities, got reelected in 1996, and had a reasonably successful second term.  Maybe the same will be true now.

Anyway, status report!  In the Senate, the Republicans aren't overperforming expectations, and may in fact be underperforming them a little; I think they will barely eke out wins in Pennsylvania and Illinois, states they were expected to win handily, and they might still lose either.  Even if Republicans sweep the tossup races, the Democrats will end the night with fifty Senate seats (assuming that no one switches parties).  In the House, though, the Republicans are overperforming; they've won twelve out of fifteen tossup races so far, as well as one race thought to lean Democrat, and now look likely to capture as many as sixty-five House seats.  If they do, the House will contain something like 245 Republicans to 193 Democrats.  Still lots of tight races, though!

Last edited by satyreyes (11-02-2010 09:24:05 PM)

#48 | Back to Top11-02-2010 11:55:21 PM

satyreyes
no, definitely no cons
Website

Bugger if I got any work done tonight.  emot-frown

More House gains by the Republicans.  Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight.com is saying the Republicans will gain between sixty-two and seventy-two seats when all is said and done: more than expected, as -- out of the races called so far -- they've won 27 out of 31 tossup races as well as five Democratic-leaning races.  Republicans will have a clear House majority, something like fifty or sixty seats more than the Democrats, but not anywhere near the two-thirds needed to override a veto.

But though the Republicans won close Senate races in Pennsylvania and Illinois, the Democrats have won equally close races in California and West Virginia, and it seems that Nevada's Harry Reid -- Senate majority leader and a prime target for Republicans -- has also surprisingly survived the night.  The jury is still out on the races in Colorado and Washington, each of which is as tight as Utena's pants, but the Democrats will retain at least 51 out of 100 Senate seats.  For Republicans to take control here, they'd have to win both Colorado and Washington, and then convince conservative Democrat Ben Nelson of Nebraska and independent senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut to switch parties.  That probably won't all happen, so we can say with confidence that Democrats will have a slight Senate majority -- but not a big enough one to block a filibuster, which requires sixty votes.

As for gubernatorial races, the Republicans have already had a big night.  They've gained ten new governor's seats, while the Democrats haven't gained any.  But a lot of people may wake up tomorrow and still not be sure who their next governor will be: it's going to be close in Illinois, Minnesota, Vermont, and -- surprisingly -- Maine, where independent candidate and green guru Eliot Cutler, who was on nobody's radar, is within a percentage point of Republican Paul LePage.  The New York Times is also stubbornly refusing to stick a fork in Florida, where Republican Rick Scott leads Democrat Alex Sink by eighty thousand votes, but with 98% of the vote counted, it seems like the votes clearly aren't there for Ms. Sink.  Also on the state level, pot will continue to be illegal in California.

So politically, here's what the next couple of years look like.  The liberal wing of the Democratic Party can't pass bills anymore, because the House will vote them down and the Senate will filibuster them.  (So no movement on stimulus packages or gay marriage.)  But the conservative wing of the Republican Party can't pass bills either, because the Senate will vote them down and the President will veto them.  (So no health care repeal or Arizona-style immigration reform.)  I think there are basically two scenarios that could play out.

- 1. Washington is basically functional.  The extremes of each party are neutralized, so we have to move forward on things that the parties more or less agree on, like job creation, domestic green energy, and continued terrorist-hunting in Afghanistan.  There are a lot of false starts and painful compromises, but budgets are eventually passed and the work of government is eventually done.  In 2012 the economy has gotten a little better and the parties share the credit.

- 2. Washington is basically paralyzed.  House Republicans are controlled by the Tea Party and refuse to talk compromise, but President Obama won't let Republicans control the agenda while he holds the veto pen.  The lights might go off in Congress -- either because they haven't passed a budget, or because they all went home.  Everyone continues to blame the other party for everything that's wrong with the country and the world.

#2 is maybe the more natural outcome in the current political climate, but it's possible that the climate will cool down a little after the newly elected Republican legislators take office in January.  Angry voters have vented their anger; disappointed voters have vented their disappointment.  I think that now that Republicans have some stake in the franchise -- they control the House -- it will fall on them to help get something done.  But there's only one way to find out -- to move into the future!  Good night, and good luck emot-smile

Last edited by satyreyes (11-03-2010 12:03:04 AM)

#49 | Back to Top11-03-2010 12:21:31 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Whelp, my vote didn't count for anything. emot-tongue

But I guess I'm glad that the tea party group is safely balanced by liberals that won't cooperate. (I hope.) Some of the stuff that comes out of their mouths is just horrifying.

#50 | Back to Top11-03-2010 12:23:21 AM

haelsyx
Caretaker
Website

I am very angry when I know so many of the Florida votes come from just blind anti-Obama voters who would vote for Sara Palin on a stick so long as it wasn't a democrat.

{livejournal} {youtube}
Its an odd thing, but anyone who disappears is said to be in San Francisco-Oscar Wilde.
Anyone get the feeling finding Utena is going to be a lot like where in the world is Carmen San Diego?

Board footer