This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top12-24-2006 04:41:41 AM

Christi_Morelei
Touga Topper
Website

Re: Interesting food combinations.

morosemocha wrote:

That said, I dip my french fries and onion rings in bleu cheese dressing. Not too wierd, I guess.

I also do that. I dip them in ranch sometimes, too.

The weirdest combination for me has to be... pizza and applesauce. I pour applesauce on cheese pizza and devour it like it's water and I am a dehydrated traveler in the desert.

"Illusion is the first of all pleasures." - Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)

#27 | Back to Top12-24-2006 04:50:32 AM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Also there is one vegetable I just cannot stand no matter how it is prepared and that vegie is Eggplant! emot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonkemot-gonk

More for me. cool

I can't think of anything weird that no group or culture does habitually...except I have a completely unnatural obsession with balsamic vinegar. I'll drink it out of the bottle. You show me a meal and I'll manage to get some balsamic in that sucker. I pour it on baked potatoes, dip sandwiches in it, put it in pineapple-ginger stir fry...

Oh, looking for sweet? Cook that sucker down with some honey and you have a god damn delicious topping for ice cream or donuts or whatever else is around. school-chef

There are weekends, frequent ones, where I ingest so much balsamic vinegar that the acid burns the taste buds off my tongue and it's raw for the next week. Mmmm.

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.
~ Professor Arisa Konno, Eng 1001 (Freshman Literature and Composition)

#28 | Back to Top12-24-2006 05:20:43 AM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Balsamic vinegar is similar to Red Wine vinegar isnt it? I like to add red wine Vinegar to most of my spicier meals that I am cooking and I find that RWV really adds an extra kick to the jalapenos when I order Chicken Teriyaki from Subway

#29 | Back to Top12-24-2006 05:53:49 AM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

At university, at my hall of residence, my friends used to always call me a freak at the lunch table as I had a habit of getting a piece of toast, covering it with Vegemite, and slapping on tomato slices, salt and pepper. It's whoretastic. And yet every time I did it they shrieked. Queer thing is, of course, that we can't even blame the Vegemite for it; when you're raised on it, it's quite nice. Apparently the rest of the world thinks we Antipodeans are freaks for eating what amounts to basically highly processed yeast in a b-vitamin tarry kind of sauce-thing. emot-dance I suppose the fact that it substitutes easily for beef stock doesn't really endear it to the uninitiated, either...

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#30 | Back to Top12-24-2006 06:36:46 AM

Epi_lepsia
Tragedian
Website

Once i was drunk, and i ate Froot Loops with beer.

Don't do it.

#31 | Back to Top12-24-2006 11:52:47 AM

dollface
Postmistress Elf of Subtext
Website

I hate sauces of all kinds.

BBQ, AI, ranch, mustard, honey mustard, relish, wasabi, mayo, sour cream, chipotle, BLEH. I'm terribly sorry, but I'm a very picky eater. Ketchup is pretty much it for me. Unless you consider honey a sauce, because I love it. And peanut butter. I could LIVE off peanut butter.

You know what's really good? Biscuts with honey and cream cheese. I had one this morning. And the great thing is, if you burn the biscuts, its even better! emot-dance

ah, man does not exist; ah, within the darkness; ah, the sound of the waves

#32 | Back to Top12-24-2006 11:53:32 AM

dollface
Website

Epi_lepsia wrote:

Once i was drunk, and i ate Froot Loops with beer.

Oh god.... emot-gonk
I think I just lost my honey ceam biscut.

#33 | Back to Top12-24-2006 11:56:54 AM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

Chicken liver and hersheys chocolate syrup. (my father)

that is all

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#34 | Back to Top12-24-2006 12:35:00 PM

Frosty
Everyone's Best Friend
Website

I had a friend who FLIPPED OUT when she learned I ate apple slices with ranch dressing??? I had no clue that was weird. Apple is sometimes a salad ingredient, right, I told her... but no, she said Ranch was from the dairy group and didn't belong on apples. Whatever.

The other thing is, when I happen to HAVE french fries and ice cream together in one sitting.... I will dip my french fries into the ice cream. It's rather good. I just do it sporadically, for a different taste sensation, but I get so many "OHMYGOD GROSS!" comments, that now I do it more often. emot-smile

Also, I'm a very picky eater...but was much worse when I was younger. I've said in 10 other threads, spaghetti is my favorite meal. For the longest time, I kept my noodles and sauce - separate. Meat, I can't look at meat and eat it. When I want meat, I make sure not to stare at the texture. And, you know that little hard bumpy thing that sometimes you bite on in the middle of a burger, or chicken made at a fast food joints & resturants alike? After the bump, the sandwich, whatever it is, is TRASH. In fact, whatever it was that had the bump, I cannot eat for months after...

Edit: I noticed all the anti-Ranch comments. I guess it is weird, ooops.

Last edited by Frosty (12-24-2006 12:43:53 PM)

Just remember that the things you put into your head are there forever, he said. You might want to think about that. / You forget some things, don't you? / Yes. You forget what you want to remember and you remember what you want to forget.

Hat Mafia Member: The Scissors

#35 | Back to Top12-24-2006 12:46:22 PM

Clarice
Well hello, Clarice...
Website

dollface wrote:

BBQ, AI, ranch, mustard, honey mustard, relish, wasabi, mayo, sour cream, chipotle, BLEH. I'm terribly sorry, but I'm a very picky eater. Ketchup is pretty much it for me. Unless you consider honey a sauce, because I love it. And peanut butter. I could LIVE off peanut butter.

You know what's really good? Biscuts with honey and cream cheese. I had one this morning. And the great thing is, if you burn the biscuts, its even better! emot-dance

I'm not big on sauces either, really -- which means the people at Subway always laugh politely when I say "No sauce/dressing, I don't like it, thanks." They reach for one anyway and say: "No really, which one?" emot-gonk

The funniest/weirdest thing I've heard, though, was when my French friend told me she didn't like cheese. After having spent four nights in Paris myself, I have to wonder...what in God's name does she EAT, then? emot-biggrin

It takes forty-seven New Zealanders eight months to make just one batch of 42 Below Vodka. ...luckily, that leaves one of us free to be Prime Minister.

Beyond The Silver Leaves

#36 | Back to Top12-24-2006 01:32:21 PM

dollface
Website

Clarice wrote:

dollface wrote:

I'm not big on sauces either, really -- which means the people at Subway always laugh politely when I say "No sauce/dressing, I don't like it, thanks." They reach for one anyway and say: "No really, which one?" emot-gonk

I hate ordering sandwiches. It's always embarassing to say "Hold everything please. Bread, meat, and cheese. That's all."
FYI about that, not only do I not eat sauces on sandwiches, I don't eat pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, relish [though I consider relish a sauce if you'll see above] or anything else of that nature. So I really don't get ANYTHING on mine emot-gonk

#37 | Back to Top12-24-2006 02:24:05 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Balsamic vinegar is similar to Red Wine vinegar isnt it? I like to add red wine Vinegar to most of my spicier meals that I am cooking and I find that RWV really adds an extra kick to the jalapenos when I order Chicken Teriyaki from Subway

Kinda sorta. It's aged in woods and has a very different flavor from RWV. It's also usually far less acidic. I use a lot of RWV, like you say, to add kick to stuff I'm making, but overall the flavor is unobtrusive. Balsamic vinegar has a very unique flavor, and won't add kick. It'll add that flavor, which you better know you like and want in that meal or you'll regret it. emot-biggrin

Someday I'm going to get a bottle of high grade balsamic vinegar. It becomes sweet and thick like syrup. A couple drops on a slice of parmesan cheese...ooooh etc-wankgirl

Akio, you have nice turns of phrase, but your points aren't clear and you have no textual support. I can't give this a passing grade.

#38 | Back to Top12-24-2006 03:45:01 PM

allegoriest
Delicious Duellist
Website

Clarice wrote:

At university, at my hall of residence, my friends used to always call me a freak at the lunch table as I had a habit of getting a piece of toast, covering it with Vegemite, and slapping on tomato slices, salt and pepper. It's whoretastic. And yet every time I did it they shrieked.

...I really must second their reaction. emot-gonk

I've met far more people who put ranch on everything than think its horrible. I like it on some things like pizza and all... but I dunno about icecreme...

Whenever I go to subway, I always just get the regular cheese, regular bread, turkey and many black olives and drown them with ranch.

I also dip grilled cheese in ketchup which is apprently weird. I dunno.

apprently my tea drinking habits are strange too, but I refuse to beleive ANYONE who drinks iced tea *dies* *apparently NO ONE in Texas has ever even HEARD of creme tea.*

I also think ANYTHING with marshmallows and/or chocolate is terrible. x____X (though I do acknowlegde that is a bit odd.)

#39 | Back to Top12-24-2006 04:44:44 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

It's aged in woods and has a very different flavor from RWV. It's also usually far less acidic. I use a lot of RWV, like you say, to add kick to stuff I'm making, but overall the flavor is unobtrusive. Balsamic vinegar has a very unique flavor, and won't add kick. It'll add that flavor, which you better know you like and want in that meal or you'll regret it. emot-biggrin

Someday I'm going to get a bottle of high grade balsamic vinegar. It becomes sweet and thick like syrup. A couple drops on a slice of parmesan cheese...ooooh etc-wankgirl

Aged in woods huh? you mean like those aromatic woods like maple, ash, hickory that sort of thing? I have seen it around the shops before but I always just thought of it just as a more expensive version of RW Vinegar, I have to get myself a bottle and experiment with it in my stirfrys and other dishes.

#40 | Back to Top12-24-2006 06:35:43 PM

UtenaFanGirl
Ballgoer
Website

hmm the weirdest food combination that i eat that my friends look at me weird for

pizza with bannana
hot cheetos with bannana
pickles with bannana
tacos with bannanas

you can guess i like bannanas

Chu chuu CHU!!!!

#41 | Back to Top12-24-2006 07:25:07 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

UtenaFanGirl wrote:

hmm the weirdest food combination that I eat that my friends look at me weird for

pizza with bannana
hot cheetos with bannana
pickles with bannana
tacos with bannanas

you can guess i like bannanas

As bananas are herbs, its ok to use with those things. emot-keke

#42 | Back to Top12-24-2006 09:15:02 PM

Giovanna
Ends of the Fandom
Website

Tamago wrote:

Aged in woods huh? you mean like those aromatic woods like maple, ash, hickory that sort of thing? I have seen it around the shops before but I always just thought of it just as a more expensive version of RW Vinegar, I have to get myself a bottle and experiment with it in my stirfrys and other dishes.

Yep yep. Usually oak, although the super good stuff can be aged in different ones at different times to develop the flavor.

It's awesome in stir fry, and pairs great with ginger. That said its primary use is as salad dressing; balsamic + olive oil = yum. It's definitely worth trying, although read the bottle carefully. You'll know why if you read all of them, the cheapest bottle is probably complete crap. If it doesn't say it's aged in wood, it's probably RWV with sugar in it and so nothing at all like balsamic.

#43 | Back to Top12-24-2006 09:35:00 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Giovanna wrote:

INFO ABOUT BALSAMIC VINEGAR

I remember to read the label to look for wood then.  I could find the type you mentioned as South Australia has a large Italian/Greek community and therefore I'm pretty sure that I can get my hands on some when I'm shopping.

Last edited by Tamago (12-24-2006 09:35:30 PM)

#44 | Back to Top12-24-2006 10:14:02 PM

Starshine
New Student

Since real peanut butter has no sugar in it...it's used in lots of savory dishes...so, it's not really odd that you'd use it for an omelette...peanut butter rocks! emot-smile

I like spreading peanut butter on flour tortillas and eating them that way...also, if you use thin strawberry slices instead of jelly on a PB&J sandwich, it is wonderful...

I'm a peanut butter freak emot-dance

Almond butter rocks also...it's great on top of brownies...ok, I have nothing useful to say.

#45 | Back to Top12-24-2006 11:35:38 PM

KissingT.Kiryuu
Hentai Hero!!!
Website

wow...i guess my food is nothing compaired to some of these

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q278/SisterElla09/mrsaturnDance.gif

#46 | Back to Top12-24-2006 11:48:12 PM

Nessy
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

I love McDonalds french fries dipped in McDonalds arctic orange milkshakes. SO GOOD.

Umm...and ham and cheese sandwhiches with heated apple slices between the ham bits. Everyone at school seems to think this is really bizarre, but I never really thought twice about it. It's sooo tasty. (You heat the apple slices so that the juice runs...it's heavenly.)

Edit: My best friend, though, she puts capers and...I wish I could remember exactly...like teriyaki sauce and pepper and eggs in her Cream of Wheat. I think it looks sooo gross. (Haven't worked up the courage to taste it yet.) I just put good ol' fashioned jam, fruit, and nuts in mine. :[

Last edited by Nessy (12-24-2006 11:56:40 PM)

#47 | Back to Top12-25-2006 01:12:37 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Feta cheese, peanut butter and pretzels. And yes, I mean real peanut butter, not the sweet stuff. Can't stand the sweet stuff.

Cheese and Marmite. I've never tried Vegemite but from what I understand they're pretty similar.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#48 | Back to Top12-25-2006 02:03:04 AM

Teatime
Miki Molester

Frosty wrote:

I had a friend who FLIPPED OUT when she learned I ate apple slices with ranch dressing??? I had no clue that was weird. Apple is sometimes a salad ingredient, right, I told her... but no, she said Ranch was from the dairy group and didn't belong on apples. Whatever.

The other thing is, when I happen to HAVE french fries and ice cream together in one sitting.... I will dip my french fries into the ice cream. It's rather good. I just do it sporadically, for a different taste sensation, but I get so many "OHMYGOD GROSS!" comments, that now I do it more often. emot-smile

Also, I'm a very picky eater...but was much worse when I was younger. I've said in 10 other threads, spaghetti is my favorite meal. For the longest time, I kept my noodles and sauce - separate. Meat, I can't look at meat and eat it. When I want meat, I make sure not to stare at the texture. And, you know that little hard bumpy thing that sometimes you bite on in the middle of a burger, or chicken made at a fast food joints & resturants alike? After the bump, the sandwich, whatever it is, is TRASH. In fact, whatever it was that had the bump, I cannot eat for months after...

First: Meat should not have bumps like that. *is a steak person*
Two: I'm not the only one! One day I had fast food and an icecream cone and tried the fries with the icecream... and it was pretty good. I think it's the combination of the salt and the sweetness of the icecream. Kind of like how chocolate covered pretzels are good.

Dairy does belong on apples. Anyone who doesn't agree has to try baked apples with parmesan or Mozzerella and then just TRY to say it isn't good. Especially with just a little cinnamon. mmmm... melty....

#49 | Back to Top12-25-2006 02:12:53 AM

ShatteredMirror
Yaoi Pet #1

Fries go great with milkshakes, so it's hardly a stretch to assume they'd go well with ice cream.

Pride is not the opposite of shame, but its source.

#50 | Back to Top12-25-2006 02:12:56 AM

Yasha
Bitch Queen
Website

_J_ does a completely mouth-melting version of apples with pepper gouda. He said he tasted it and it was like his mouth came in his mouth, and I am inclined to agree.

Hat Mafia Member: Ratchedface
Je vais mourir pour l ' a e s t h e t i q u e
Internet Atrocity Tourist             -           MY POSTS             ARE WARSHIPS

Board footer