This is a static copy of In the Rose Garden, which existed as the center of the western Utena fandom for years. Enjoy. :)

#26 | Back to Top02-10-2007 07:54:34 PM

Nilamarthiel
The Icon Icon
Website

Re: Who here writes Utena fanfiction!

The one of mine is here:

http://nilamarthiel.livejournal.com/39782.html#cutid1

YEY TWINCEST. etc-love

#27 | Back to Top02-10-2007 08:12:06 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

Damn twincest. I hate that I love it. emot-mad

Tamago wrote:

Fanfiction idea.

Oooh, that sounds like fun.

How Shiori would react to that would depend, really. Is Utena her childhood friend, or have they only just met, like Wakaba and Utena did? If she had some normal friends to begin with, then she might not have turned out the way she did. But if Utena was her childhood friend, that raises an interesting case. Utena doesn't have Juri's cold and reserved personality, so she might not have such a strong suspicion that Utena is only being her friend out of pity, though the thought of it would probably cross her mind.

The way that Juri would react to having Wakaba as best friend is especially interesting, since that would be like torture for Juri. It would also be interesting to see how she would react if she was around for the whole love letter incident.

Someone should write that, but I can't. I used to write fanfictions all the time, but there was a long period of time when I wasn't able to type last summer, and so I haven't done much writing ever since. I've been meaning to get started again, but I still have the same standards for my writing as I did when I stopped, and at the moment, I can't meet those standards.

#28 | Back to Top02-10-2007 08:38:23 PM

SleepDebtFairy
Revolutionary
Website

Lady Nilamarthiel wrote:

The one of mine is here:

http://nilamarthiel.livejournal.com/39782.html#cutid1

YEY TWINCEST. etc-love

Ee, wonderful Miki/Kozue. etc-love I love your Kozue POV in it, especially the thing about her wanting to be the only one to stain Miki. It's so utterly Kozue.

(I used to dislike Kozue and Miki/Kozue, and I thought it was all one-sided, but now I realized that it isn't really that one-sided, and I actually like the pairing.. in fact, I like Kozue a lot more than I used to. XD Miki/Kozue make me think of superego/id)

And the Shiori and Wakaba switching roles idea sounds strange at first, then utterly intriguing.. I hope someone writes it, because I'd love to read it. emot-keke

I'm trying to get the courage to attempt some Utena drabble writing, myself. Me and writing.. we don't mix well. I have no self-confidence when it comes to it. XD I've written some things for other fandoms before, but every time I look back on them, even if it was recent, I gag. And delete it. Either that or I only show it to my girlfriend and then never look back.
But the SKU world is so full of symbolism and metaphor and emotion that I think I'll feel more comfortable writing it. It seems more my style. Either way, I want to try to give it a shot eventually. (Just need to find some ideas.. my Utena and Anthy muses won't stop making out in the closet.)

#29 | Back to Top02-10-2007 08:51:37 PM

Tamago
God of Comedy
Website

Razara wrote:

Damn twincest. I hate that I love it. emot-mad

Tamago wrote:

Fanfiction idea.

Oooh, that sounds like fun.

How Shiori would react to that would depend, really. Is Utena her childhood friend, or have they only just met, like Wakaba and Utena did? If she had some normal friends to begin with, then she might not have turned out the way she did. But if Utena was her childhood friend, that raises an interesting case. Utena doesn't have Juri's cold and reserved personality, so she might not have such a strong suspicion that Utena is only being her friend out of pity, though the thought of it would probably cross her mind.

That is an important point you made there, would Shiori be happier having the princely Utena as a childhood friend instead of the cool Juri?  When you get to the subject of the duels, how would Utena get sucked into the duels this time?  Would it involve Shiori somehow? That's the kind of Utena fanfic I am looking for. school-freudschool-freud

The way that Juri would react to having Wakaba as best friend is especially interesting, since that would be like torture for Juri. It would also be interesting to see how she would react if she was around for the whole love letter incident.

Yes it would be even worse for Juri to be 'in love' with Wakaba than Shiori as Wakaba's touchy-feely, pseudo-BF/GF machinations would have Juri fighting the urge to either smack her head in or ravish her senseless.  Juri would try her very best to control herself with Wakaba but I bet in those shower scenes would involve less crying and more moaning. etc-loveschool-devil

Both Wakaba and Shiori represent examples of 'normal girls' in SKU but oddly enough, they are never compared to each other in any way, in the story or even in essays that I have noticed, I wonder why that is?

I am sure that the IRG members could unveil many similarities and differences between Shiori and Wakaba but the most notable is how they handle hanging around a very popular friend.

Wakaba seems to basks in Utena’s light while Shiori feels that it leaves her in the shadows.

Last edited by Tamago (02-10-2007 09:02:37 PM)

#30 | Back to Top02-10-2007 09:23:11 PM

Blade
Sunlit Gardener (Finale)
Website

I consider Keiko, Shiori and Wakaba to all be very similar, different takes on a similar theme if you would. Once upon a time I planned to do an essay explicitly comparing and contrasting them. And, of course, the "Troubled Insects" shortfic which was the first bit of Utena writing I did was basically built around the premise that Wakaba and Keiko are very similar.

For those who want to write Utena fiction but are scared to do so or don't think it's up to your standards... write anyway! emot-wink Writing is like anything else - you only get better through practice. Take a year off from playing tennis, you won't get back to your previous standards unless you start playing tennis again.  Find a fun concept and write your brains out. If you don't like it, don't show it to anybody! Then when you're done, work on the next project that you WILL show to somebody.

Then you can get to releasing 85,000 word chapters like I did this month. Or not. You might have a life. emot-tongue

#31 | Back to Top02-10-2007 11:29:16 PM

Razara
Marionette Mistress

85,000 words in one chapter? It's not fair. I got a repetitive stress injury from typing 4,000 words less than that over the summer. emot-gonk

Tamago wrote:

Both Wakaba and Shiori represent examples of 'normal girls' in SKU but oddly enough, they are never compared to each other in any way, in the story or even in essays that I have noticed, I wonder why that is?

Originally, I was going to drag a comparison between Shiori and Wakaba into my essay on Shiori, but I still wasn't feeling well at the time, and so I didn't feel like going over all of it in my head.

They're both normal girls who want to be special, which raises the question as to why they turned out so differently. The main difference is in how long they've been friends with them. Shiori and Juri grew up together, whereas Utena and Wakaba have only been friends for a year or so. (Wait. Have they, or am I just assuming this from the manga...?) Before she met Utena, we can assume that Wakaba was friends with normal people who blended in with the crowd, just as she did. It wasn't until she befriended Utena that people started to notice her more often. She didn't mind being known as, "Utena's friend," just as long as she was known as something.

Shiori, on the other hand, grew up with Juri. Rather than feeling as though Juri was what made her shine, she felt as though Juri was what prevented her from shining. She does not want to be known as, "Juri's friend." She wants people to notice her for who she is, and not for who she's friends with. In the sense that Wakaba felt that she could only shine as long as she had Saionji, Shiori didn't think that there was really any way that someone as ordinary as herself could be noticed.

#32 | Back to Top03-01-2007 09:01:40 AM

tohubohu
Precious One
Website

New Utena short fic.  It's, er, a crossover with MariMite.  But much of the character focus is on Juri.  And, naturally, because it's me, the story is shoujo-ai.

http://heavenscalyx.livejournal.com/1043132.html

#33 | Back to Top03-01-2007 09:40:43 AM

Hina the Prince
Friend, Perhaps

OH WHY ARE YOU SO AWESOME. D8

#34 | Back to Top08-21-2008 06:00:38 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Since I've just finished watching SKU for the first time, I've just started writing fanfic for it. emot-biggrin

My 2 pieces are here:
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/385676/sharnii

One's another U/A post-fic series in-progress (yuh huh another one).
The other's a parody involving Akio's foot-sex, and Utena's incredible intellect emot-aaa

SKU's got me so inspired I'm sure I'll end up writing it quite a lot. etc-wankdude

#35 | Back to Top08-21-2008 06:10:24 PM

Neva Caruso
Tenjou Tilter

My Utena fan fiction is here.

http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori … filter=all

I have also written several crossovers, mostly with Firefly.  They can be found here:

http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memori … filter=all

#36 | Back to Top08-25-2008 03:27:48 PM

BlackRoseVixen
Snowdrop Lover
Website

Here's mine emot-keke

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3840332/1/W … Always_Die

19 chapters so far. Chapter 20 will be submitted when my desktop is fixed. Hope you enjoy it. Please leave some friendly reviews.

Note: Fic features Saionji/Utena future understanding, and Touga/Saionji shonen-ai

The Saionji Support Squad: Believing in True Friendship Since 2006.

Hat Mafia Member: The Vixen

#37 | Back to Top08-26-2008 04:00:30 PM

Baka Kakumei Reanna
Atlantean Singer
Website

Long, long ago in a state of fangirliness far, far away.

I know I've at least got at least a few readers of my "Purple Rose Saga" and "Ecchi Adventures" fics around the forum somewhere. emot-keke Purple Rose Saga is finished, I believe, but Ecchi Adventures is not, and you can find them floating on my old website and on FFN. They're full of deliberate terrible Mary Sue-ness, fangirl Japanese, and intentional OOC-ness. I can't say they're... well... good, by any stretch of the imagination, but they sure are silly fun, and I have great memories of writing those things.

I've moved on to my own original fiction though. emot-keke

We see things not as they are, we see things as we are.

#38 | Back to Top09-03-2008 06:44:49 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

Neva Caruso wrote in Under the Same Sky: She tries to remember what it felt like to have the sword drawn from inside her by the same slim brown hands that sketch and cook and tend to the roses in the greenhouse. She tries to remember, and can’t quite find the words.

Wow. I like your wording a lot in this drabble. Nice capture of Utena's take on events. Very sweet.

On Through to Sunrise. What wonderful Anthy fic. I found it very surreal, and beautifully worded once again. Anthy's essence was captured well. It was almost painful to read (in a good way), without any kind of definite resolution but of course that helped it pack a punch.

Hmm on Untamed...interesting. I'm still thinking about it. It definitely felt like Kozue.

Waiting to Bloom. Aww angst at its best. I feel so sad for poor Wakaba.

From Eyes Open: “There was so much potential here.” The hands move over his shoulders, down his chest. “Your light shone brighter than anyone else’s.”
“That sounds familiar,” Ruka sneers.

Yay, a challenge fic written very nicely. Insert some cynicism, and you made a believable (not to mention hawt) encounter.

#39 | Back to Top09-03-2008 06:52:51 AM

sharnii
Pharaoh of Phanstuff
Website

In Twelve Days of Courtship Tohubohu wrote:

"You never talk about it," Sei said thoughtfully. "Does one think less about high school as one gets older?"
"I've always thought about it as little as I could," Juri replied.

and

"So," Sei said after a moment of watching her, "what happened to your Shiori?"
Juri looked up sharply from the empty cup. Sei met her gaze evenly, and finally, Juri looked back at the tabletop. "She became a bitch. I'm sure."

Nice snappy lines. Well I don't like crossovers you know. And I don't have a clue who or what MariMite is emot-redface but...
Amazingly I liked this...

So it must be written well! emot-tongue Yep, I enjoyed it. I liked your Juri, and it IS nice to read some non-angst re her once in awhile.
Have you written any more Utena fic? Where should I look? school-sherlock

Last edited by sharnii (09-03-2008 06:54:03 AM)

#40 | Back to Top09-08-2008 01:27:39 PM

Anthiena
Egghead

A nice little horror piece here. I made a lot of evil laughs while I wrote it, it's so evil... I should stick to drama and horror, I have sarcasm, not a sense of humor.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4526754/1/Revolution_Indeed

...that was absolutely a blast to write, which really says something.

I stopped seeking to be sought after. That wasn't being true to myself.
I want to become someone who can exercise power. I want to become a prince. - Ikuni

#41 | Back to Top11-16-2012 09:51:41 PM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

Doesn't look like anyone has added on to this in awhile. The only fic I've published was a spur of the moment drabble over in the unlikely pairings thread (I really gotta figure out how to make links). But I'd really like to do some soley sku Akio related drabbles.

Oh treachery!

#42 | Back to Top11-16-2012 10:00:56 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

The_Lame_Goat wrote:

Doesn't look like anyone has added on to this in awhile. The only fic I've published was a spur of the moment drabble over in the unlikely pairings thread (I really gotta figure out how to make links). But I'd really like to do some soley sku Akio related drabbles.

If you ever decide to expand that Jonah/Akio drabble into a 1000+ words fic, I'd so swoon etc-love

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#43 | Back to Top11-17-2012 09:46:02 AM

The_Lame_Goat
Rose Smilee

@ gorgeousshutin
I do actually have a bit more written, just have to figure out how to make it all fit together. It's my one true weakness.emot-gonk

Oh treachery!

#44 | Back to Top11-17-2012 07:52:20 PM

crystalwren
Dark Whisperer
Website

I have one drabble that I did for the forum, which is on AO3. Overall, however, Utena fanfic just doesn't appeal. I write because there are things that are left unsaid or there are places that the characters haven't been. But I honestly believe- and this applies to Haibane Renmei and Evangelion as well- that absolutely everything has been said and the characters have done everything they need to do. All of the answers and situations are already there, it's just up to us to find them. That's why I read the essays, follow the debates, and have several half-finished essays of my own buried under the detritus of my hard drive.

To a certain degree, I think this can extend to art as well. I do love SKU fanart, and comic strips provided they're short and funny. Eva fanart is thoroughly uninteresting (although I must confess that while I love Eva and have for years,and have followed some of the analytical debates, I'm not really a die hard fan in the sense that I am for SKU or Haibane Renmei). There's not much fanart around for Haibane Renmei either, which is good because I'm very conflicted on that. This may change: I've recently had the light bulb in my head lit up with the grand idea that maybe it's all about coma patients. This has punctured the romance somewhat.

All in all, I'm genuinely conflicted about that drabble I wrote years back. I put it up on AO3 for gorgeousshutin, but the very fact that it exists just rubs me up the wrong way. But, hey:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

It's weird that it honestly bothers me so much; I mean, I am hideously embarrassed by the truly horrible X-Men fanfic I wrote when I was sixteen, or the even worse, mercifully unfinished Mary Sue saga I wrote in the Heralds of Valdemar fandom when I was fourteen, but this one tiny drabble overshadows it all.

Like I said. Weird.

(And no, you may not read the Heralds of Valdemar fic. I burned it.  Its ashes are smeared upon the Wall of Shame.)

Last edited by crystalwren (11-17-2012 08:01:36 PM)

#45 | Back to Top11-17-2012 09:38:59 PM

gorgeousshutin
Bare Footman
Website

crystalwren wrote:

All in all, I'm genuinely conflicted about that drabble I wrote years back. I put it up on AO3 for gorgeousshutin, but the very fact that it exists just rubs me up the wrong way.

And I am honored.

If it makes you feel any better, that Shiori/Kozue gem rubbed me up in all the right ways. etc-love

About the fanfic thing, I myself see vast opportunities for new grounds to be covered in (reasonably well-written) SKU post-series fics, because it fascinates me to speculate on just what kind of adults that melodramatic, edgy bunch of kids would grow up to be.  Adolescence is a time where people have but limited knowledge of the world; it is how people are as adults - who've already had considerable life experience in the world - that can truly define what kind of characters they really are.

What I see as the true problem with writing SKU fics is that the fandom is small enough as it is, and a that good chunk of it is skeptical of reading fanfics (they have good reasons to, as nothing can compare with the real thing) thus why the low-numbered reviews most SKU works tend to get (though there are a few titles of legendary popularity amongst them still).

As for NGE, I think Rebuild 3.0's reportedly disastrous plot line do support your theory that Eva's is one difficult (if not impossible) story to continue well.

It won't stop me from continuing World End's Messiah though (which, I heard, is like only the 3rd SKU/NGE fic known to the Net even after all these years).

Last edited by gorgeousshutin (11-17-2012 09:41:48 PM)

(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018) / (PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Oct 31, 2017) / (NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016) / (BananaFish) Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 1, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works or https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

#46 | Back to Top11-18-2012 02:12:21 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

I've been having this weird idea of setting Utena in a historical/mythical/fantastic setting, but other than that I haven't been able to elaborate more on it sadly emot-confused

#47 | Back to Top11-18-2012 09:39:16 PM

Raven Nightshade
Someday Shiner

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

I've been having this weird idea of setting Utena in a historical/mythical/fantastic setting, but other than that I haven't been able to elaborate more on it sadly emot-confused

Well, based on your username and a thought that's been rolling about in my head, have you considered using them in an Arthurian setting? Anthy makes an excellent Morgaine Le Fay.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm ever gonna make it home again.
It's so far and out of sight.
I really need someone to talk to and nobody else
Knows how to comfort me tonight.

#48 | Back to Top11-20-2012 09:07:07 PM

ArthurianRoseKnight
Anthy Assailer
Website

Raven Nightshade wrote:

ArthurianRoseKnight wrote:

Well, based on your username and a thought that's been rolling about in my head, have you considered using them in an Arthurian setting? Anthy makes an excellent Morgaine Le Fay.

The idea rolled through my head in fact. Although I had never thought of Anthy being a sort of Morgaine.

Excellent. You just gave me a base for my ultimate plan, My Lady. The plan will proceed as expected.

emot-smile

http://static4.fjcdn.com/comments/Good+GOOOOOOOOOOOD+You+re+all+falling+into+my+trap.......gooooood+_f7dc60a61713bb71abe7f6bb1bbfd4c5.jpg

#49 | Back to Top11-22-2012 01:49:35 PM

Lurv
Pained Growlithe

gorgeousshutin wrote:

What I see as the true problem with writing SKU fics is that the fandom is small enough as it is, and a that good chunk of it is skeptical of reading fanfics (they have good reasons to, as nothing can compare with the real thing) thus why the low-numbered reviews most SKU works tend to get (though there are a few titles of legendary popularity amongst them still).

I think one thing that'd keep me from writing SKU fanfic if I was a fanfic-author in the first place, is that SKU being as symbolic/allegorical as it is, I would be worried about being true to the message of the show. I was thinking earlier how a SKU-inspired RP could be fun if I had a friend to do it with, but then I would feel bad for just going wild with the elements from the show (magical swords, etc) without any regard for the symbolism.

Maybe a bit silly to worry about, because usually I would just worry about writing the canon characters IC, but there you go. emot-wink

#50 | Back to Top11-25-2012 08:07:36 AM

Honey Bear
Sunlit Gardener (Prelude)
Website

The only Utena fanfic I've written is this one:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7151599/1/Impure

Cuz Da-yum I love that twincest too.

Board footer